Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Where are the WaPo/NYT concerned pieces about Keiko Fujimori facing prison?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Dias posted:

We talking about Alberto Fernandez being casually racist? I mean, shouldn't come as a surprise neither for Argentinians nor for people that live in places that believe they're "European", as the other two gauchos here could probably confirm, but still, c'mon, dude.

So here's some context plus a fun factoid: There's records for every person who comes into or goes out of the Argentine presidential residence in Olivos. (Earlier in the year there was some hubbub about how the records showed Macri had a bunch of meetings with judges handling political cases, for example.) Well, the person who has paid the most visits to the president's home since Alberto Fernandez was elected is Litto Nebbia. Litto Nebbia is a songwriter who made this piece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56K-09EkulU&t=64s

(Timestamped to the relevant part. The video title makes it pretty clear how it's relevant though.)

Alberto Fernandez apparently was quoting this dumbass song, thinking it would make him sound poetic or some poo poo, because he just loves his music buddy that loving much or something.

My point is: Someone please ban Nebbia from Olivos before any more quotes make it into his speeches.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

GimmickMan posted:

So here's some context plus a fun factoid: There's records for every person who comes into or goes out of the Argentine presidential residence in Olivos. (Earlier in the year there was some hubbub about how the records showed Macri had a bunch of meetings with judges handling political cases, for example.) Well, the person who has paid the most visits to the president's home since Alberto Fernandez was elected is Litto Nebbia. Litto Nebbia is a songwriter who made this piece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56K-09EkulU&t=64s

(Timestamped to the relevant part. The video title makes it pretty clear how it's relevant though.)

Alberto Fernandez apparently was quoting this dumbass song, thinking it would make him sound poetic or some poo poo, because he just loves his music buddy that loving much or something.

My point is: Someone please ban Nebbia from Olivos before any more quotes make it into his speeches.

Yeah, I've seen people say it was a quote from a song, but it's still colonialist as gently caress, haha. At the end of the say it's just another white South American forgetting that they're not European no matter how much they wish they were.

I guess the best way to translate it to Gringoland culture is...well, y'know the Boston dudes that think they're Irish and also tend to be pretty racist? Yeah.

Traveller posted:

Where are the WaPo/NYT concerned pieces about Keiko Fujimori facing prison?

Is there a real chance of her going to prison or is it just going quietly away as to not shake up the status quo?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Dias posted:

Yeah, I've seen people say it was a quote from a song, but it's still colonialist as gently caress, haha. At the end of the say it's just another white South American forgetting that they're not European no matter how much they wish they were.

I guess the best way to translate it to Gringoland culture is...well, y'know the Boston dudes that think they're Irish and also tend to be pretty racist? Yeah.

Yeah. To clarify, I just wanted to share something that made me laugh about this shameful and infuriating mess.

Why does every argie president have to be a bootlicking tilingo? :negative:

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Dias posted:

Is there a real chance of her going to prison or is it just going quietly away as to not shake up the status quo?

Between PPK's impeachment and subsequent arrest (and the Peruvian Supreme Court rescinding PPK's last-ditch pardon of Alberto Fujimori while they were at it, too), Alan García blowing his brains out when facing arrest, and Keiko already technically being under arrest during the campaign (she had to get special permission from the judge to leave her house arrest for campaign rallies) I'd say yeah, you can't rule out her getting away scot-free but there's a very real possibility that she's gonna do hard time. Say what you want about Peru, it seemed to be the one place where the Panama Papers scandal had any lasting consequences other than fewer investigative journalists being alive. (though I think most of the above-mentioned consequences were linke to the Peruvian branch of Odebrecht/Lava Jato)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm just impressed that losing by the skin of her teeth may end up with the opposition leader doing hard time. You'd never loving see THAT in the US.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm just impressed that losing by the skin of her teeth may end up with the opposition leader doing hard time. You'd never loving see THAT in the US.

Trump isn't going to jail.

Assuming that was sarcasm.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Trump isn't going to jail.

Assuming that was sarcasm.

He's most likely not. Not a single POTUS has gone to jail after their presidency, being president might as well make you a god.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1403507052438241281?s=20

Not even the OAS gives a poo poo about Keiko.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Redczar posted:

I hadn’t understood the memes I was seeing but seeing the quote now, and lol, I couldn’t imagine something so stereotypically Argentinian to say

I was on a train with my mom in the US a few years back. We were talking to an Argentinian and he casually used the phrase "we Europeans" to refer to us. None of us was born in Europe. That was a pretty :stare: moment

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It's especially blood-chilling because the self-denial of our own mestizo blood implies a belief in the narrative that no one lived in this land before the europeans did a genocide. At the time they explicitly called the extermination and mass enslavement campaign "conquering the desert" and emphasized the "desert" part because "no one lives there".

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Why you should never show leniency or mercy to Latin American Right wingers, Example #322131234143112323

https://twitter.com/jeremyscahill/status/1405487083465097217?s=21

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Uh oh.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...ocid=uxbndlbing

Al-Saqr posted:

Why you should never show leniency or mercy to Latin American Right wingers, Example #322131234143112323

https://twitter.com/jeremyscahill/status/1405487083465097217?s=21

And people were screaming how it was unconstitutional how MAS bypassed the cloture vote to kick them out.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
People on twitter are saying something might be going on on Peru

https://twitter.com/AttuchLeonardo/status/1406197568179212288

Anyone knows anything?

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
https://twitter.com/VladEmpanada/status/1406079124154814466?s=19 is this thread has a synopsis

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the defense minister (and i think the armed forces commander as well) have said that they will respect the outcome of the election and the constitutional order, but on the other hand, military leaders who refuse to coup left wing governments haven't always have the best life expectancy

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

lobster shirt posted:

the defense minister (and i think the armed forces commander as well) have said that they will respect the outcome of the election and the constitutional order, but on the other hand, military leaders who refuse to coup left wing governments haven't always have the best life expectancy

Does Peru have a "revolt of the colonels" problem, or do we think they will be safe for the forseeable?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Things don't look too good for Castillo. Keiko woke up smiling.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Time for Castillo to arm his supporters

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Nonsense posted:

Surely the US will intervene to protect democracy in the Americas

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Nonsense posted:

Any developments? Or was that just noise?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Rust Martialis posted:

Any developments? Or was that just noise?

Not just noise and poo poo is tense:
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/6/26/peru-vote-review-to-resume-as-country-braces-for-protests

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/27/peru-election-supporters-of-rival-candidates-throng-streets-amid-dispute-over-result

And I wouldn't be shocked at right wing shenanigans being pulled. Currently it looks like the cordon around the Castillo win is holding but poo poo could blow up double quick. The stuff the tweet was talking about certainly didn't have any concrete results in the last week though.

Anyone closer to the ground have stuff they feel comfortable adding though? This is purely from an outside observer's perspective.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
It's worth remembering that this poo poo isn't just about trying to overturn the vote, it's also about damaging Castillo's mandate by tainting him with accusations of electoral fraud to the end of his days. Undermining his term in office before it's even started, basically.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/camila_vergara/status/1411787008217919497?s=21

So what kind of constitution is expected to come out of the constitutional convention in Chile?

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

DukeDuke posted:

https://twitter.com/camila_vergara/status/1411787008217919497?s=21

So what kind of constitution is expected to come out of the constitutional convention in Chile?

To piggyback on this, what are the current protests about? I read that the first meeting of the convention was held up an hour because of a protest by some delegates which itself was in response to clashes in the streets between protestors and police.

E: overall though this convention in Chile looks very promising - it's composed in majority by insurgent left parties with equal proportion of gender in the seats and led by an indigenous woman. I even feel a little envious as an American.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 5, 2021

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

no hay camino posted:

To piggyback on this, what are the current protests about? I read that the first meeting of the convention was held up an hour because of a protest by some delegates which itself was in response to clashes in the streets between protestors and police.

The protests were mainly about freeing people imprisoned during the estallido social/general wallmapu situation.

As regards the nature of the constitution, it will without a doubt be a left leaning document, but it’s hard to know just how left. The biggest conglomerate of the convention is very left leaning (la lista del pueblo and apruebo dignidad) but they’re still around 50 votes less than the 2/3 requirement to approve articles.

There are some people talking about lowering the quorum to 1/2, but even then the two parties mentioned don’t hit the limit, although it gets them super close. So in either case, they might have to moderate themselves in order to make progress

e: Tele13 sucks major poo poo, but this at least was great
https://twitter.com/uweones/status/1411788046190665730?s=21

Redczar fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 5, 2021

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
The current protests are specifically calling for the release of those imprisoned from October 2019 onwards on various charges related to the protests. The exact position of the Asembly is unclear - sectors aligned with Lista del Pueblo (anti-establishment left) are calling for a general amnesty and consider the detainees as political prisoners, while the rest of the left ranges from mirroring LdP's position (Loncon herself is in this camp, I believe) to focusing on getting the government to roll back its use of the State Security Law in such cases, to offering general sympathy but ho-huming about this whole deal falling outside of the scope of the Constituent Convention. A vote on an official statement from the convention on this matter is slated for the next session, and should be the first test as to how well the different camps of the left will be able to get along.

The main points the new constitution is expected to cover:
(For reference - LdP = Anti-establishment, independent left; Apruebo Dignidad = communist party, various demsocs and independents; Apruebo / Unidad Constituyente = establishment center-left; INN = center to center-left independents; ChV = center-right to far-right)

- The role of the state regarding social rights (housing, pensions, healthcare, education). There's a general consensus that limits should be placed on for-profit ventures in these areas, and there should be a larger participation of the public sector. The current constitution only really binds the state to 'oversee' the provision of these rights (usually indirectly through private actors).

- Constitutional recognition of indigenous peoples. The possibility of declaring Chile a plurinational state (as Bolivia did) has been floated - most of the left appears in favor, though how this would translate into actual policy would be harder to say, since the indigenous demographics of Chile are very different compared to Bolivia, and could end up being a largely symbolic gesture. Reserving legislative seats for indigenous peoples (just as it was done for constituent seats) should find general consensus, as should issues such as constitutional recognition of indigenous languages (possibly making them co-official on a national level) and the state's obligation in preserving indigenous cultures. The Mapuche land issue might be the trickiest matter to deal with.

- Water rights. This was one of the main rallying flags of left-independents. Technically the current system recognizes water as a public good, but in practice the "right to use" employed by large industries and landowners functions as de-facto water privatization, which has affected many communities and small farmers, particularly in the chronically drought-stricken north (and climate change is expected to worsen the situation).

- Gender parity is one of the few issues that poll pretty well even among the right-wing electorate, so establishing a more strict system of gender quotas for elected offices could pass with near-unanimous approval. Applying the same principle to the private sector (i.e. addressing wage disparity, boards of directors, media leadership) might be less unanimous, but still seems likely to pass.

- Nationalization of mineral resources. This might be one of the major issues. LdP and Apruebo Dignidad are in favor, and parts of Unidad Constituyente are expected to be against (they mostly favor levying a larger royalty tax on Big Mining), however they're well aware that it's extremely unpopular among their electorate to vocally come out against it (let alone to vote on the same page as the right wing on it) so how they'll try to spin it is yet to be determined.

- Members of LdP and Apruebo Dignidad have called for implementing instances of direct democracy, like introducing bills by citizens' initiative, binding recall referendums, creating an Ombudsman position, etc.

- During their scaremongering campaign leading up to the elections, the right wing raised a few measures that supposedly could be implemented by a left-dominated Constituent Assembly (thus ushering in C H I L E Z U E L A ), such as the abolition of private property and ending the autonomy of Chile's Central Bank (i.e. allowing subsequent governments to print currency at will), but I haven't seen anything pointing to that. Preserving the autonomy of the Central Bank in particular has been supported by most of the left (though usually adding some caveats).

- Type of government and territorial administration. Chile's a unitary republic, and at least as far as I've noticed there are no major voices calling to turn it into a federal republic, though the need to give more authority to provincial governments does have general support (chilean politics have traditionally been extremely Santiago-centric, and up until recently there was no elected office in the provinces other than mayor). The country's also expected to remain a presidential republic, though the finer points are up for debate. This is one issue where there's no clear divide in positions according to ideology, so it could go in a number of ways. Switching to a unicameral legislative is also up in the air.

- Constitutional provisions related to other social issues such as same-sex marriage and adoption, LGBTQ protections, abortion rights, etc, could all pass, since the various camps of the left-to-center do tend to align more closely on social matters. (the exception would be the christian democrats, but they only got one seat lmao)

Generally in most of these issues there's some measure of agreement between the various camps of the left - it's usually not a matter of the establishment center-left actively opposing the leftist position (at least on a rhetorical level you'd think they're all on the same page by looking at their public appearances), but of them lacking legitimacy due to their track record during their 20+ years in power (particularly on environmental and indigenous rights), which leads to a lot of mistrust. The momentum appears to be with the left to set the tone of the discussion, but this can be seized by the right-wing to paint the whole process as being hijacked by extremists (they're already aiming to flip the 'exit referendum' that would follow the completion of the constitutional draft). Then again, that's basically what they tried the last couple of votes, and it didn't work.

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 5, 2021

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Well, the Haitian president was just assassinated: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-57750358

I imagine that will help continue Haiti's nearly unbroken 200 year streak of tragedies.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Saladman posted:

Well, the Haitian president was just assassinated: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-57750358

I imagine that will help continue Haiti's nearly unbroken 200 year streak of tragedies.

I was coming here to post this, since I'm not familiar in the slightest with Haitian politics, and was wondering if any goon would mind educating me on what could have led to this and what it could mean for Haiti going forward.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

rare Magic card l00k posted:

I was coming here to post this, since I'm not familiar in the slightest with Haitian politics, and was wondering if any goon would mind educating me on what could have led to this and what it could mean for Haiti going forward.

The Economist is pretty much the only major English news source that ever seems to cover Haiti, and they had some articles recently about the breakdown in the political situation due to Moïse delaying elections perpetually (although not quite as bad as say, the PLO, where Abbas is 15 years into his 5 year term).

https://www.economist.com/the-americas/2021/06/24/haitis-crisis-appears-to-be-getting-worse
https://www.economist.com/the-americas/2021/02/25/can-haiti-rid-itself-of-jovenel-moise

Are two recent good reads. You can read a couple free articles per month, and you can also stop the page as it is loading to avoid the paywall, as the entire article loads prior to the paywall loading. You might have to try it in Incognito mode a couple times, as if the page caches then the refresh + try again to stop the pageload won't work. Here's a snippet of the more recent article:

The Economist posted:

Blue, red and white signs emblazoned with “Nap vote!” (“We Vote!” in Creole) hang from posts and trees in Port-au-Prince, Haiti’s capital. But a referendum on the constitution, planned for June 27th, has been postponed amid rising covid-19 cases and international criticism of the process, particularly from the United States. It will possibly be held at the same time as elections planned for September. Many reckon that those polls, for a new president and lawmakers, could also be scrapped. It is yet another indicator that Haiti’s crisis is getting worse.

Jovenel Moïse, the president and a former plantation manager who calls himself “Banana Man”, has little legitimacy. His opponents say his term ended on February 7th this year, which marked five years since his predecessor stepped down. He says his term started a year later, when he took office. For the past 18 months he has ruled by decree. Today there are only 11 nationally-elected officials, including him. He has overseen six prime ministers in four years. Protests against his rule continue. Mr Moïse, who wanted the referendum to go ahead, partly in order to make a parliamentary system more presidential, looks increasingly embattled and authoritarian.

Unlike most politicians in Haiti, Mr Moïse comes from the countryside. His outsider status has made it hard for him to govern, as he has few allies in the political classes. Moreover, his incompetence means that since coming to power little has changed and the country is in a mess. Covid-19 is rampant, whatever the official numbers say. For the past two years the economy has shrunk, mostly because of increasing lawlessness.

Last year Mr Moïse, who also refers to himself as “Après Dieu” (i.e. second only to God), has widened the definition of “terrorism” to include acts of dissent. His response to the protests, which first broke out in 2017, has been heavy-handed. At first protesters were complaining about the cost of living, but a year later they started grousing about corruption. Many accuse Mr Moïse of being involved in a scandal in which millions of dollars were pilfered from PetroCaribe, an aid fund from Venezuela, a charge he denies. Some 71 protesters were massacred in one neighbourhood. The opposition and many ordinary Haitians blame the government, which denies involvement.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

There was an attempted coup against Moise earlier this year, in February. I kind of doubted how real it was, as it kind of struck me as just an excuse to arrest prominent opposition figures and perceived enemies in the government.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
US is condemning it. Probably good news then.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Some good news

https://www.milenio.com/internacional/latinoamerica/fiscalia-bolivia-imputa-presidenta-jeanine-anez-genocidio

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

It sounds like he got what was coming to him, although whether Haiti is any better off without him is a different question.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://apnews.com/article/haiti-pr...r&utm_medium=AP

They seem to have nailed the guys who did this. But who the gently caress knows, conspiracy theories are going to go buck wild, they may just be loose ends who are going to be snipped off by the actual masterminds, depends if they're taken in.

The interim PM, who was about to be replaced by someone else, is a prime suspect.

I also don't think the Trump-Biden State Department had a hand in this, even if some ex-SF freaks from the US were involved.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Phobophilia posted:

https://apnews.com/article/haiti-pr...r&utm_medium=AP

They seem to have nailed the guys who did this. But who the gently caress knows, conspiracy theories are going to go buck wild, they may just be loose ends who are going to be snipped off by the actual masterminds, depends if they're taken in.

The interim PM, who was about to be replaced by someone else, is a prime suspect.

I also don't think the Trump-Biden State Department had a hand in this, even if some ex-SF freaks from the US were involved.

I'm betting on internal poo poo as well. I just don't see how the US benefits. And it's not like there aren't people in the country who can pay off random thugs as well as the CIA or whoever has.

Also, pretty sure the CIA is not under the Department of State.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the CIA isn't inept enough to have their dudes claim to be from an American government agency during their assassination attempt.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
The US backed Moise and wanted him in there, so probably just internal poo poo or someone in his group betraying him to become top dog.

Of course who knows if they got US backing, Haiti is basically the state department's playground.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Comedy option, both are on US government payroll and acting out an internal spat.

I'm pretty sure there's precedent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Would the fall of the Diệm regime in Vietnam count as precedent there?

I mean this seems a bit weirder than that even.