Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

A MIRACLE posted:

If you decide you don’t want it dm me haha. I should just get an iPad probably

Got the reface dx today and went thru the presets marking which ones I’m gonna rewrite. Hint: it’s the lead presets lol. Seems pretty deep so far on patch making. I know it’s not a full 6 op I don’t k ow maybe someday I’ll get a 6op synth

Think this is gonna be real nice for patch invention. I’ve always wanted to release a patch collection.

Here’s a patch I made on the analog 4 last night fades in about a minute in https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/dDhPHj1Tu1sDWGAN8

How is the interface on that? I looks like a menu nightmare to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

havent opened the manual but its not bad. the screen lines up with the touch controls which are contextual. the rubber buttons are hard to see in the dark ill have to memorize them. gonna make a patch from init tonight.

some of the pad presets are really expressive. I want to look up the mark mothersbaugh programs now

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

brand engager posted:

How is the interface on that? I looks like a menu nightmare to me

I hate menu diving and most things that aren’t 1:1 knobs and I honestly love dialing in sounds on the Reface DX. Yamaha did an amazing job with the Refaces.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i’m going to buy a piece of a gear when i get paid. i’m currently considering either an erica synths bassline, polyend tracker (if i can get a hold of one lol) or an arturia microfreak. obviously the microfreak is the way cheaper option but also the one that excites me the least. i’ll just keep monitoring the used market until my payday

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah it seems to be in basically new condition. Now I have to learn how to use it, huh.

Just in case you aren't familiar already, Red Means Recording is great on YouTube.

I don't regret buying the op1 even though I'm not using lately. The interface really clicked with me and it's just really well designed and unique.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

havelock posted:

Just in case you aren't familiar already, Red Means Recording is great on YouTube.
Heck yeah. His tunes are great listening too. Latest big phat pants got our family shakin it the other morning.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

B33rChiller posted:

Heck yeah. His tunes are great listening too. Latest big phat pants got our family shakin it the other morning.

Wow, that's good to know. Never checked out his tunes.

havelock posted:

I don't regret buying the op1 even though I'm not using lately. The interface really clicked with me and it's just really well designed and unique.

Teenage Engineering is Go!

Kilometers Davis posted:

I hate menu diving and most things that aren’t 1:1 knobs and I honestly love dialing in sounds on the Reface DX. Yamaha did an amazing job with the Refaces.

Bad news for me and my new acquisition, the Sy-300 LOL. Which I haven't even gotten out of the box yet because things are such a mess here. Spent the evening putting my guitar back together so I could use it. Although I'm really thinking of using other things than the guitar, like a cornet.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

havelock posted:

It was their videos that actually convinced me that I had to have one. Now I'm rewatching them and trying to actually do the stuff. So cool!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Be careful which new videos you watch though because it's like 80% modular demos now and it may cause impulse purchases.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

xzzy posted:

Be careful which new videos you watch though because it's like 80% modular demos now and it may cause impulse purchases.

https://twitter.com/jjbbllkk/status/1405703296090664961?s=20

:v:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I've had most everything packed up getting ready for a move, just having the k2661 on its lonesome has been fun :3:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I still want to know what happened to once upon a synth. He's been ghosted for a year now :(

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Tayter Swift posted:

If it makes you feel better the Modwiggler one turned into people ranting about BLM and "the Somalis" before being locked and deleted :)

i'm not an MW regular, but if nobody got banned or probed then lovely opinions are just swept under the rug, which is not the same but close to condoning them.

also I think OUAS is a nurse IRL so I guess he's been very busy with that.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

A MIRACLE posted:

If you decide you don’t want it dm me haha. I should just get an iPad probably

Got the reface dx today and went thru the presets marking which ones I’m gonna rewrite. Hint: it’s the lead presets lol. Seems pretty deep so far on patch making. I know it’s not a full 6 op I don’t k ow maybe someday I’ll get a 6op synth

Think this is gonna be real nice for patch invention. I’ve always wanted to release a patch collection.

Here’s a patch I made on the analog 4 last night fades in about a minute in https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/dDhPHj1Tu1sDWGAN8

This is tight, what’s the clicky noise? drat the analog 4 sounds great, I haven’t even really looked into them, because I’m already into Elektron’s sampling gear, and I guess I’m just not into the Analog RYTM or their synth stuff as much, although I’d love a Monomachine.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Erica hi hat d is the clicky hat sound. And some reverb. Running the Erica system thru the sp as a giant filter box, then using one voice from the analog 4 for the movie soundtrack sound

I like the analog four most out of all the electron gear I trick myself into buying. The rytm was too much for me. Will probably get another one some day when I have more will power lol

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I never knew Dreams had such a robust DAW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE996r92obE

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Nothing will ever surpass Mario Paint

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

Rutibex posted:

Nothing will ever surpass Mario Paint

lol there was a goon collab like 15 years ago w/mario paint, this was my contribution:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iy6DlgKo6ezobIrYhRPMZFWKGrnDl9Me/view?usp=sharing

then another goon who went by melee beats at the time did this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GzSvR1AYkRcmOxHLYj9_l62hIx3-CrTr/view?usp=sharing

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the goon what does the watchout for fireballs podcast is a mario painter

https://garybutterfield.bandcamp.com/album/super-mario-lab-music-emporium

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

I just bought a digitakt! :fap:

Can’t wait for it to arrive. I’ve never owned a hardware sampler

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Akai MPK249 is on the way, I've been messing with synth patches (for, like, hours a day, it's ridiculous, I love synths so much hail Satan) and making fx setups that work with them and putting together guitar patches that can track alongside well, and man I am so ready to get this in and get recording. Oxygen Pro 49 bad taste about to be gone, just gotta wait til Friday.

I wish I had wanted this during whatever period of time they were selling the red one, I like how those look.

That Dreams game/app looks really impressive! I might get a newer Playstation so my kiddo can use that, he absolutely adores Little Big Planet 1-3 on the old PS3 and has recently got into making simple games and stuff. I wonder if the PS3-era Move controllers still work for today's uses or if you gotta get newer ones, I have a pair from back then that didn't get much use at the time. Edit: google says, yes. I will investigate this further :)

Agreed fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 22, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Agreed posted:

That Dreams game/app looks really impressive! I might get a newer Playstation so my kiddo can use that, he absolutely adores Little Big Planet 1-3 on the old PS3 and has recently got into making simple games and stuff. I wonder if the PS3-era Move controllers still work for today's uses or if you gotta get newer ones, I have a pair from back then that didn't get much use at the time. Edit: google says, yes. I will investigate this further :)

The reason I become interested in keyboards as a kid was my need to make music for my terrible RPG Maker games. Its a great system for making simple games, and it was really easy for me to learn. There is a newer version for PC and PS5, but I'd get it on PC because I don't think the PS5 version lets you edit the music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdLt8ZcyCqA

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I don't know how kosher it is to post here but Archive.org has a repository of 90s sample CDs including all the Jungle Warfares, X static goldmines etc etc and a whole bunch of out of print stuff. Zero G themselves have basically gone "nope we won't be resurrecting those even though people still want them" and X Static were pushing their luck as it is.
I happened across it whilst looking for stuff to mash about in Renoise and its raising some weird emotions in me.
I had long given up finding Jungle Warfare and the Datafiles (only been looking 15 years aka nearly half my life) let alone the other things here.
Anyway, if anyone is as sad as me and wants obsolete 90s sample CDs that are pretty much ripped "as is", Google Archive 90s Sample CDs and realise your dreams. Better late than never.

For research purposes, obviously.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i’ll just warn that zero-g was (maybe still is?) infamous for using tons of uncleared samples in their CDs so use that stuff with caution. i doubt you would get tagged for it but still. sick heads up tho!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Oh yeah, a ton of this stuff is either obviously lifted or has been used wholesale so many times its a minefield. Mindfield.

As a time capsule it's fascinating and I could get lost for days in here, I'm already sending random clips to mates filmed off my phone and going 'wtf is this again, I know this'.
Im already overfamiliar with the majority of breaks/drum machines that have been used over the years but hearing these loops where someone has smashed say, the Lynn Collins Think beat over a 909 and chopped it and then added a ride from something else is so fascinating to me.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

oh yeah i 100% agree with all that. the datafiles CDs are very fun to go through especially if you’re into beatmania at all, so much stuff that’s very very recognizable

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

watho posted:

oh yeah i 100% agree with all that. the datafiles CDs are very fun to go through especially if you’re into beatmania at all, so much stuff that’s very very recognizable

This brings a question to mind and maybe you guys and dolls are the right people to ask. I've been listening to or working out to early 2000s style dance music for years, and I've observed these samples or loops getting reused, often pretty tastelessly IMO, for like 20 years. I first encountered them on my very first trance anthem albums from Deca Dance and have come across them so very many times since then. Does anybody know what I'm referring to, or do I need to get more specific? What are they and where do they come from, anyway? Like I have a couple dozen Gatecrasher mix albums and they're all over those.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Good chance they'll be off something by Zero G or maaaaaybe Vengeance depending when the tunes were done.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

NonzeroCircle posted:

Good chance they'll be off something by Zero G or maaaaaybe Vengeance depending when the tunes were done.

Well if I first heard them on a Deca Dance compilation in 2000, then. I wasn't even into electronic music back then, with the exception of that CD set, which I still think is outstanding. But what software were they using back then anyway? Reason?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
A lot of Gatecrasher stuff would have been a few of the big Korg/Roland workstation keyboards at the time, probably Roland JP8000s for leads and a lot of Roland TR909s for drums.
I would imagine particularly percussion wise a lot of the familiar sounds are the distinctive 909 hi hats and claps.

If they were using software it'd likely be 'trackers' or maybe early iterations of Cubase or similar, and if the latter probably sequencing Akai samplers, which impart a grot to the sound that can be emulated with bit crusher plugins now due to their low sample rates (12bit or less) and poor memory.

Can you link the Deca Dance set by any chance? I'm on an old school dance kick at the mo and lapping that stuff up.
Been caning the original Wipeout soundtrack all day

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 25, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

NonzeroCircle posted:

A lot of Gatecrasher stuff would have been a few of the big Korg/Roland workstation keyboards at the time, probably Roland JP8000s for leads and a lot of Roland TR909s for drums.
I would imagine particularly percussion wise a lot of the familiar sounds are the distinctive 909 hi hats and claps.

If they were using software it'd likely be 'trackers' or maybe early iterations of Cubase or similar, and if the latter probably sequencing Akai samplers, which impart a grot to the sound that can be emulated with bit crusher plugins now due to their low sample rates (12bit or less) and poor memory.

Can you link the Deca Dance set by any chance? I'm on an old school dance kick at the mo and lapping that stuff up.

Can't believe I'm having such a hard time finding the CD set on youtube. It was this cd set:

https://www.allmusic.com/album/trance-anthems-deca-dance-mw0000655139

Here are a couple of the tunes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnRrYrxhFpU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks9SmkrLGGE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKxSc2Y9R0I

Perhaps my fav trance tune of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJSDQWtYlIw

Paul was such a pretty boy sheesh :jealous:

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Sound on Sound is *great* for that stuff, lots of interviews with the producers with them just being like "heres what I did lol". Its a little hard to find cause they changed their archive but its all on archive/way back machine at least still.

I'm less up on my trance but thats basically how I learned to make Jungle from around the same era. I wanna say a lot of that stuff is zero g just off the top of my head, thats a seriously killer sample series.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
This thing needs to shut the gently caress up because I just bought an OP-1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh2w6RWPo28

hey we noticed your synthesizer from across the bar and we really dig its vibe, can we buy it a drink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIbiFzXvqkY

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 25, 2021

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

NonzeroCircle posted:

try the n64 versions soundtrack if you haven't

watho
Aug 2, 2013

like anything by ayako saso and shinji hosoe is just way too loving good

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Got the Akai MPK249 in! Man it looks awesome, it feels awesome, it is clearly awesome

But it only has a 3 foot cable and that's a loving problem, because it requires a whole USB socket to itself, no hubs even if it's the only thing plugged in. If I'd thought more about it I would have got the AC adapter. I guess I still can though.

I have a 10 foot cable coming by Sunday that can reach my comp without needing a hub slot, so I'll be able to play it Sunday some time I guess. I did at least confirm that it works. True story, I bought this same cable in March but accidentally sent it back instead of a cable I didn't need - they still refunded me for the wrong cable, but only like $2.40 when it cost around $7 (as did the cable I was intending to send back in the first place).

I don't even know if I should post this, but SA has been my online home for so long. poo poo has been really hard this week at my house y'all my fam is fighting COVID and it's frightening. What a hosed up week this has been. I am sorry for even putting this here, it doesn't have a lot to do with synths. I haven't got a lot of sleep, y'all, forgive me for venting somewhat inappropriately. I am doing everything I can to take care of everyone. I hope I get to play this thing soon, on a day where it feels like I can care about it.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

hey agreed much love to you and yours

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Agreed posted:

Got the Akai MPK249 in! Man it looks awesome, it feels awesome, it is clearly awesome

But it only has a 3 foot cable and that's a loving problem, because it requires a whole USB socket to itself, no hubs even if it's the only thing plugged in. If I'd thought more about it I would have got the AC adapter. I guess I still can though.

I have a 10 foot cable coming by Sunday that can reach my comp without needing a hub slot, so I'll be able to play it Sunday some time I guess. I did at least confirm that it works. True story, I bought this same cable in March but accidentally sent it back instead of a cable I didn't need - they still refunded me for the wrong cable, but only like $2.40 when it cost around $7 (as did the cable I was intending to send back in the first place).

I don't even know if I should post this, but SA has been my online home for so long. poo poo has been really hard this week at my house y'all my fam is fighting COVID and it's frightening. What a hosed up week this has been. I am sorry for even putting this here, it doesn't have a lot to do with synths. I haven't got a lot of sleep, y'all, forgive me for venting somewhat inappropriately. I am doing everything I can to take care of everyone. I hope I get to play this thing soon, on a day where it feels like I can care about it.

I hope you get to play with your MPK249 lots

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Achmed Jones posted:

hey agreed much love to you and yours

Yeah, same. There's a mental health thread to talk to if you feel the need, too, I've been there, still check in p often.
Join us if you like. Covid and other affairs have made things pretty rough on a lot of folks over the past few years, myself included.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3881799

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

hopefully you caught the strain that has the lasting after effect of being able to turn a 4 bar loop into a song