Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I can't decide if I'm more likely to die in the Water Wars or get run over by some dipshit in a 9 foot tall Bronco trying to relive his high school glory days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

KakerMix posted:

hahaha the 6ft block TOYOTA text on the front. Giving up on the sombrero is hilarious.

Everything else is goofy as hell.

That’s been a thing forever. TRD pro grills went back to TOYOTA after hobbyists started making their own. Maybe a decade ago?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Who would buy a Tundra when you can get the ecoboost F150

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

you misspelled powerboost F150

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah, I agree if you're talking TRD Pro price point, but I think it carries on the lower price areas too.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

BlackMK4 posted:

Save up more and just get the Lightning, honestly.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Worst part is, Toyota builds their trucks for loving ever. That's still gonna be on sale in 15 years.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

As Nero Danced posted:

Worst part is, Toyota builds their trucks for loving ever. That's still gonna be on sale in 15 years.

They'll do a mid cycle refresh in 2028

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

BlackMK4 posted:

why would you buy a Ford when you can get a Toyota

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Powershift posted:

Lol
And a maybe different shade of silver and white

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

You forgot to add more light bars.

Can't wait to be surrounded by these at all times. I wonder if the hood line is taller than the roof of my Prius?

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Bunch of whiners. Drive a Lotus where the hood line of every sedan is taller than your car. Don’t let anything hit you though.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Wheeee posted:

the government really does need to start actually looking at trucks and their impact on the roads and other drivers, almost nobody needs a truck the size of a modern half-ton let alone a heavy duty and the ones who do can complete special licensing requirements gently caress em

Look at this liberal commie trying to take ARE TRUCKS away.

Toyota’s US market trucks are always so weird to me. Like, from an alternate universe or something. While I’m sure there’s many Toyota parts bin parts in them, nothing seems like any other Toyota I’m familiar with.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I can't decide if I'm more likely to die in the Water Wars or get run over by some dipshit in a 9 foot tall Bronco trying to relive his high school glory days

Porque no los dos?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

skipdogg posted:

They’re gonna sell so many of those Tundras

For sure, although I always wonder what the demographic of a tundra buyer is versus a big 3 truck.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Residency Evil posted:

For sure, although I always wonder what the demographic of a tundra buyer is versus a big 3 truck.

Usually it’s people who want a reliable truck no?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Deteriorata posted:

There's a black car under the white truck that's being devoured.

Plastidip the whole grill orange so you can look like you're driving Locke from Lost:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Kraftwerk posted:

Usually it’s people who want a reliable truck no?

I don't know dick about trucks, but I was under the impression the F150's were pretty solid?

But yea, my parents are so far down the "Why would anyone buy anything other than a Toyota" mindset; I'm sure there are plenty others out there like 'em. My dad will definitely replace his Taco with another one when it finally dies, without even test driving anything else. The same way my mom buys her Corollas :v:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

dissss posted:

Really doesn't look any worse than whatever is in your avatar

That's a hard disagree, champ.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Wheeee posted:

why would you buy a Ford when you can get a Toyota

poo poo fuel mileage and range would be the top of my list

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

poo poo fuel mileage and range would be the top of my list

lol tacomas get the same fuel economy as a f350.

Toyotas reputation of old sells their trucks. See: Hilux. They also know how to market to their demographic. For actual work they're kind of mediocre in payload/power/towing/etc.
However as a lifestyle vehicle for Hauling mountain bikes, overlanding, camping, or casual homeowner projects? They're excellent trucks.
Towing? get a F-series. Buy GM for the ride quality. Buy Dodge because its cheap.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

Toyotas reputation of old sells their trucks. See: Hilux. They also know how to market to their demographic. For actual work they're kind of mediocre in payload/power/towing/etc.
However as a lifestyle vehicle for Hauling mountain bikes, overlanding, camping, or casual homeowner projects? They're excellent trucks.
Towing? get a F-series. Buy GM for the ride quality. Buy Dodge because its cheap.

I'm hardly unbiased as I own 2018 Tacoma but their resale value is through the roof and if you want a midsize truck with decent options and a manual you uh don't really have any other options. Also, I still think the Tacoma is a pretty good truck like I'd only put it behind the ranger and maybe the Colorado in the midsize market.

Tundra otoh... I mean their very reliable and their resale value is high too but ..

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

adaz posted:

Also, I still think the Tacoma is a pretty good truck like I'd only put it behind the ranger and maybe the Colorado in the midsize market.
Behind the ranger and Colorado. What other midsizers are there? Frontier, I guess?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

cursedshitbox posted:

I had company issued Tacomas (3 of them) from ~2009 to 2019. I was given a 2019 Silverado LD (old body style on the change-over year) and the Silverado is miles and above more comfortable and gets noticeably better fuel economy out of the 5.3 than the Toyota 4.0.

To be fair, my last Taco was the "old" style and it was very reliable, but holy poo poo was the fuel economy bad and the wind noise was something else.

Given the choice for me personally it wouldn't even be a competition between the two. I like the idea of the slightly physically smaller truck but that's about it.

Buying new and keeping in mind resale - that would be another thing altogether.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 19, 2021

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, i get toyota first owners. Resale value, go for it.

But the third owner paying $25k for a miled out truck? Just confuses me.

I don't see how a 400,000km toyota could outlast a 200,000km ford.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

ilkhan posted:

Behind the ranger and Colorado. What other midsizers are there? Frontier, I guess?

Frontier, Ridgeline , gladiator, canyon... Think thats it.. maverick now I guess technically

I think it also makes a really big difference here buying new versus used. Even before car shortage my Tacoma trade-in value was like 2k below what I bought it for. I think right now it's literally what I paid for it which is nuts considering that was 3 years and 25k miles ago

adaz fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 19, 2021

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

Yeah, i get toyota first owners. Resale value, go for it.

But the third owner paying $25k for a miled out truck? Just confuses me.

I don't see how a 400,000km toyota could outlast a 200,000km ford.

Agreed. Chassis and its components still age. People forget about that.
Used truck prices are even worse. Especially right now.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

dissss posted:

Really doesn't look any worse than whatever is in your avatar

:frogout:

The Bronco is great.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

adaz posted:

Frontier, Ridgeline , gladiator, canyon... Think thats it.. maverick now I guess technically

I think it also makes a really big difference here buying new versus used. Even before car shortage my Tacoma trade-in value was like 2k below what I bought it for. I think right now it's literally what I paid for it which is nuts considering that was 3 years and 25k miles ago

I bought a used 1 owner dealer serviced Tacoma with 25k mi on it for about 6k less than a new one. With records in hand and low mileage I was very okay paying more than I would’ve for a used ranger. I was also buying for the long haul—and also this was before prices went loving insane.

I could sell now for more than I paid, 1yr older and with 16k additional miles but I couldn’t even replace it.

Mileage has improved with the third gen. I had a 4th gen 4Runner w the older 4.0 before and got around 19-20mpg mixed. I run a lot of highway miles commuting for work but I get ~23mpg mixed on the 3.5 v6.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Zero One posted:

The Bronco is great.

Like every other 'retro inspired' American design it's going to age terribly.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

dissss posted:

Like every other 'retro inspired' American design it's going to age terribly.

Counterpoint: literally any Toyota of the past five years.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I have a 2020 Nissan Armada as a company car for the next 2 weeks. It's hard to fathom a car without Android Auto or Carplay in a 2020 anything.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Goober Peas posted:

I have a 2020 Nissan Armada as a company car for the next 2 weeks. It's hard to fathom a car without Android Auto or Carplay in a 2020 anything.

What’s it like to drive one of those dump trucks? There’s a tiny woman who drives one around here and it looks so unbelievably huge

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

It's fine. It's about as roomy as a Tahoe and a little shorter. V8 is fine. Seats are flat and wide. Infotainment is a solid 2 generations behind what would be considered basic today.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

If you're one of those people who think an SUV should feel like a truck the previous gen was alright, seemed to hold up better than a GM

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

How's fuel economy? The Patrol has the dubious distinction of having the worst fuel economy out of every passenger vehicle available in New Zealand (including the Bentayga and Cayenne turbo)

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

dissss posted:

How's fuel economy? The Patrol has the dubious distinction of having the worst fuel economy out of every passenger vehicle available in New Zealand (including the Bentayga and Cayenne turbo)

The Nissan V8's are generally thirsty but I looked up the Armada and it's actually rated at 15mpg combined vs 14mpg for the Landcruiser. Didn't expect that. Armada needs premium fuel though which has got to sting, will be getting close to $100 to fill up in some parts of the country.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 20, 2021

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

sanchez posted:

The Nissan V8's are generally thirsty but I looked up the Armada and it's actually rated at 15mpg combined vs 14mpg for the Landcruiser. Didn't expect that. Armada needs premium fuel though which has got to sting, will be getting close to $100 to fill up in some parts of the country.

According to fueleconomy.gov, it costs $6.23 to drive the Armada 25 miles. Almost twice the hybrid f-150's $3.20. 390 mile range to the f-150s 734 miles too.

Probably depreciates twice as fast, too.

There's no excuse for these barges not being hybrids at this point. none.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

sanchez posted:

We don't get the petrol LandCruiser but I just checked the LX570 out and it's rated exactly the same. 14.4l/100km

Guess it doesn't matter much if you're somewhere a full tank costs $100USD, it'd be more than double that here.