Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

hbag posted:

now hopefully theres an easy way to remap keys when i finally get the board itself
shift alt right

the GMMK pro has 2 firmwares. the standard one that works with their software & RGB programming, and a QMK firmware that can be programmed with QMK, but has no RGB support.

IMO mapping keys in software at the OS level is a whole lot easier than fiddling with firmware, for any keyboard that's a reasonably standard layout. QMK is cool and amazing for people who are into soldering their own stuff together to make one-handers or modern space cadet stuff. But way overboard for something like switching your modifier keys or correcting any problems between ISO keymap on an ANSI physical layout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
QMK RGB support is technically in the QMK develop branch now thanks to a keyboard community member doing all the legwork since Glorious was being coy about the RGB chip.

Seemingly in response, Glorious finally got started on it and it's mostly ready to go. But it's been held up for like 10 days because the Glorious devs didn't know how to resolve merge conflicts in GitHub of all things. Looking at the pull request, it's almoooost there.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Honey Im Homme posted:

Cancelled mine without an issue, just submit a ticket through the website, if you haven't made an account yet make sure you use the same email address you used to pre-order.

Got kind of hosed on the recent CAD/USD exchange rate though.

thanks, I just emailed them. totally forgot I even posted in this thread about that keyboard I keep totally forgetting about, was thinking, "what ever happened with that keyboard?"

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Constellation I posted:

. But it's been held up for like 10 days because the Glorious devs didn't know how to resolve merge conflicts in GitHub of all things. Looking at the pull request, it's almoooost there.

holy poo poo

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Constellation I posted:

Seemingly in response, Glorious finally got started on it and it's mostly ready to go. But it's been held up for like 10 days because the Glorious devs didn't know how to resolve merge conflicts in GitHub of all things. Looking at the pull request, it's almoooost there.

lmao, what? Can you link to this?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

dyou think if i email glorious they could switch my order from ansi to iso
hmmmm

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

hbag posted:

dyou think if i email glorious they could switch my order from ansi to iso
hmmmm

Can't hurt to ask, the worst would be they say no.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

mariooncrack posted:

lmao, what? Can you link to this?

https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/pull/13173

Looks like it's getting close

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Rexxed posted:

Can't hurt to ask, the worst would be they say no.

rip

how many keys am i gonna be missing once i remap this from US ANSI to UK ANSI

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Maybe you could just cancel the order and pre-order the ISO kit?

ISO has one more key than ANSI, so you'll always be missing one key. Probably # or \

Llamadeus fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 20, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

hbag posted:

one, the key between your shift and z (or zed as you limeys call it)

US & UK keyboards send the exact same signals to the PC when you type a key in the same position. It's the OS that interprets that scancode into a character. So right now with my US keyboard I can switch to UK input in windows, hold shift and press 1234, and get !"£$. Easy peasy.

So your two issues are
1. Your keyboard is missing a key that emits scancode D5, the UK \| key.
2. The key that emits scancode 2B, which with UK keyboard selected in the OS produces #~, will have a \| label. And since it's an oversize key you have a problem if you want to swap it. Any keycap set that has the US/ANSI style enter and backslash keys is gonna have the wrong label. You could just stick the smaller #~ keycap on there, but I think it'd look dumb.

Both of those are solvable, ex this utility can remap keys in windows, using a feature that's pretty much at the base level of the OS. And a simple autohotkey script could put the characters from your 1 missing key somewhere else. But exactly where to put stuff is something you'd have to figure out.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Can't QMK based kb's be firmware remapped?

i know qmk is a touchy subject on the gmmk pro though

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Deviant posted:

Can't QMK based kb's be firmware remapped?

Yeah but TBQH why gently caress with firmware remaps unless
• you're doing something that's awkward to do with software, like a one-hand board
• you use the board on multiple PCs
• you use an alt layout like Dvorak or whatever where everything is moved around

For remapping 1 or 2 keys (caps to ctrl or solving a US/UK conflict), the windows scancode override method is super easy.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

god
why the gently caress did past me pre-order an ANSI board
im gonna see if theyll be willing to refund my orders so i can go buy an ISO board

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

hbag posted:

rip

haha Glorious mermaid

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

yeah they do that.

my email was answered by the glorious pixie

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Speaking of UK keycaps - I've been turning it over in my head whether it's possible, reasonable or in any way economical to make the caps that would be missing from a HyperX pudding cap set for my UK board.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Kerbtree posted:

Speaking of UK keycaps - I've been turning it over in my head whether it's possible, reasonable or in any way economical to make the caps that would be missing from a HyperX pudding cap set for my UK board.

KRepublic makes black/white pudding set that has keys for everything on a gmmk pro

https://www.amazon.com/Pudding-doub...LIC+pudd&sr=8-4

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Klyith posted:

one, the key between your shift and z (or zed as you limeys call it)

US & UK keyboards send the exact same signals to the PC when you type a key in the same position. It's the OS that interprets that scancode into a character. So right now with my US keyboard I can switch to UK input in windows, hold shift and press 1234, and get !"£$. Easy peasy.

So your two issues are
1. Your keyboard is missing a key that emits scancode D5, the UK \| key.
2. The key that emits scancode 2B, which with UK keyboard selected in the OS produces #~, will have a \| label. And since it's an oversize key you have a problem if you want to swap it. Any keycap set that has the US/ANSI style enter and backslash keys is gonna have the wrong label. You could just stick the smaller #~ keycap on there, but I think it'd look dumb.

Both of those are solvable, ex this utility can remap keys in windows, using a feature that's pretty much at the base level of the OS. And a simple autohotkey script could put the characters from your 1 missing key somewhere else. But exactly where to put stuff is something you'd have to figure out.

right - but i dont see how that fixes 2. unless there's somewhere i can buy an oversized UK ANSI # key.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

maybe i should just buy some blank keycaps who knows

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

hbag posted:

right - but i dont see how that fixes 2. unless there's somewhere i can buy an oversized UK ANSI # key.

Personally I'd say it makes the most sense to leave the \| label keycap on that key, and then put the #~ keycap on the key left of 1. Then remap those in windows to produce the symbols as per their label. That's pretty straightforward, and doesn't seem like it'd take a ton of adjustment to get used to.

Then I'd use autohotkey or similar to make 2 custom keybinds for the symbols on the key that's now missing, assuming you ever used ¦¬ in the first place. Those seem pretty superfluous.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Klyith posted:

Personally I'd say it makes the most sense to leave the \| label keycap on that key, and then put the #~ keycap on the key left of 1. Then remap those in windows to produce the symbols as per their label. That's pretty straightforward, and doesn't seem like it'd take a ton of adjustment to get used to.

Then I'd use autohotkey or similar to make 2 custom keybinds for the symbols on the key that's now missing, assuming you ever used ¦¬ in the first place. Those seem pretty superfluous.

on UK keyboards, the key to the left of 1 is `¬¦
and I do use the ` key a lot.

tbh blank keycaps might just be less hassle

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

aha
wasdkeyboards do custom keycap sets
nice

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Switch to US ANSI and embrace the compose key.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

qnqnx posted:

Switch to US ANSI and embrace the compose key.

Galaxy brain move is to just switch to ortho and never worry about anything else then 1u keys.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

whoops i dont have the fifty seven dollars for a custom keycap set

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

hbag posted:

on UK keyboards, the key to the left of 1 is `¬¦
and I do use the ` key a lot.

ah, hmmm.
Well the same thing would work by that alone and parceling out # and ~ onto other keys, unless you also use # a ton.

hbag posted:

aha
wasdkeyboards do custom keycap sets
nice

Note that WASD's custom keycaps are lasered ABS with a coating. They're not super durable, if your frame of comparison is anything PBT. And you need to be careful about which cleaning products you use with them. (I think a lot of bad rap is people using alcohol or cleaning wipes that have alcohol, which destroys the coat.)

But even if you take care of them they've got limited lifetime. For $60 I think that's an ok deal, because the only other option is to become one of the people that organizes a group buy for their custom thing.

edit: honestly it seems like the best course of action at this point is to just cancel your GMMK order and wait for ISO

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Klyith posted:

ah, hmmm.
Well the same thing would work by that alone and parceling out # and ~ onto other keys, unless you also use # a ton.

Note that WASD's custom keycaps are lasered ABS with a coating. They're not super durable, if your frame of comparison is anything PBT. And you need to be careful about which cleaning products you use with them. (I think a lot of bad rap is people using alcohol or cleaning wipes that have alcohol, which destroys the coat.)

But even if you take care of them they've got limited lifetime. For $60 I think that's an ok deal, because the only other option is to become one of the people that organizes a group buy for their custom thing.

edit: honestly it seems like the best course of action at this point is to just cancel your GMMK order and wait for ISO

if i do that ill have wasted 60 bucks on the reservation fee
i guess id be fine with blank keycaps, they do kinda look nice too
...it'll be a pain in the rear end when i need to find a key tho lmao

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Pretty sure they'd refund you the reservation fee as well. When they ask for the 2nd installment when you order is ready, they give you the option to not go ahead with the order and get your reservation fee back. I cancelled mine from them since it was available for much cheaper (without shipping fees and customs) from local vendors.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

quote:

Changed your mind after placing a reservation? No worries, you can cancel your reservation at any time for a full refund!

https://www.pcgamingrace.com/blogs/news/gmmk-pro-reservation-info

Just cancel and buy the ISO version when available.

mariooncrack fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 21, 2021

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

but will that refund the $60 reservation fee too

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

and once again im thwarted by my own social anxiety
i literally dont have it in me to tell the delivery guy who 100% does not give the first poo poo that "no thanks take it back please"

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

hbag posted:

but will that refund the $60 reservation fee too

Yes

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

well i checked on their site and apparently i cant cancel so lol
why tf didnt i just let the "complete your order" email expire
of course i panic bought it lol
gently caress me
should i go with blank keycaps? its not that big of a deal idk im making this more of a deal than it is i think

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

hbag posted:

well i checked on their site and apparently i cant cancel so lol
why tf didnt i just let the "complete your order" email expire
of course i panic bought it lol
gently caress me
should i go with blank keycaps? its not that big of a deal idk im making this more of a deal than it is i think

Just return it if you don't want it; why are you torturing yourself with this?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

interrodactyl posted:

Just return it if you don't want it; why are you torturing yourself with this?

i dont know
i really dont

is it even worth returning it? i mean its ONE key and i can probably use blank keycaps i guess????

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

baby's first keyboard build done, thanks for the advice in Discord - I feel way better about putting together my full board now!

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Love it! Which switches did you go with?

On a similar note, does anyone have recommendations for a macropad kit with rotary encoders? I've done some soldering stuff before, and am pretty comfortable setting up Arduinos etc., but I would prefer a PCB over hand-wiring. Basically I just think it would be fun to try out, and want to have some little aluminum knobs to scroll through pages and whatnot with.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

foutre posted:

Love it! Which switches did you go with?

They're Box Jades - which I can't use on the actual board I'm going to build (too noisy - I record everything I do for work) so I thought I'd put them in here. Maybe I'll get some more to put on the numpad side of my next board, which I kind of want to turn into a big macropad anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Hey friends! My initial order of GMMK Pro FR4 plates actually sold out, but I have more on the way. You can pre-order them if you'd like one, and they start shipping out July 5th:

https://avxworks.com/products/gmmk-pro-fr4-plate

I also have a little post on Reddit if you don't mind tossing me an upvote:

https://www.reddit.com/r/mechanicalkeyboards/comments/o4v4sx/_/