Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Niavmai posted:

oh boy oh geez do NOT read gunnerkrigg.
The Gunnerkrigg thread has been here for years, it has never pretended to be anything but what it is, but in the last six months or so it's been full of moaning by folks wishing it was something else.

K6BD has also always been what it is, and as much as I'll miss it once it ends, it beats the idea of the cavalcade of goonery moaning about it, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Bell_ posted:

in the last six months or so

my dude, i am sorry that you are upset about people expressing their opinions, but 6 months of a tri-weekly comics updates being bad is okay to be kinda mad and goony about.

also it was a joke. a very good one. excellent joke maker here.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Niavmai posted:

was going to make a "dad bad" joke here too

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Jesus loving christ Girl Genius has been going on for twenty years straight.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Grouchio posted:

When the sun burns down into a cinder, we still won't really know that the deal is with Lucretia and the Other.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Niavmai posted:

What happened there? I stopped reading years ago, IIRC just after Antimony got a haircut.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

NGDBSS posted:

What happened there? I stopped reading years ago, IIRC just after Antimony got a haircut.

The whole thing is about how great her abusive dad is now.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

NGDBSS posted:

A couple of chapters where long-standing mysteries/situations are just done with, followed by 11 weeks of watching Jones try to ask about Annie's well being but having everyone talk about her dad instead, including Annie and her dad.

Tic Tocs are done, forever. They It had one purpose, fulfilled a very long time ago.
There were two Annies for a while because of a divine prank. Zimmy just casually merged them.

People are kind of losing faith in anything having a satisfying resolution. Even Tony being an awful dad basically had a resolution that was "Actually, it's fine like this".

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I jumped ship after the casual merge. Things were starting to have an unpleasant echo of that one page joke chapter where Annie goes to rescue Renard from her dad and he just hands him to her.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

maswastaken posted:

People are kind of losing faith in anything having a satisfying resolution. Even Tony being an awful dad basically had a resolution that was "Actually, it's fine like this".

I'm still really hopeful that it will have a great ending! I just no longer feel the need to check on it every update anymore.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Honestly it's kinda making me wonder if Tom is getting burned out or has some other reason he wants to stop Gunnerkrigg. It seems like he's trying to ty up plot arcs quickly so he can get to a finale

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
kinda doubt it, from talks he's done and that youtube series where he explains some of what he was thinking about each chapter it sounds like he's had everything mapped out from the beginning

maybe though

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Pretty sure Outsider has been running just as long and we finally got to a point where the author can give us more than 1 chapter a year. :woop:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah I was a Gunnerkrigg defender for a long time but it really feels like every interesting part of the setting is being systematically removed. Handwaving away her dad's abuse is just the cherry on top.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Mimesweeper posted:

kinda doubt it, from talks he's done and that youtube series where he explains some of what he was thinking about each chapter it sounds like he's had everything mapped out from the beginning

maybe though

That's pretty much it, it feels like there was a solid plan there but each beat was rushed. Annie learning to live with herself -> Zimmy fusions her again -> now more grounded and at peace Annie forgives her father, uses her hardwon insights to help guide Loup through their obvious trauma (or trick him, kick his rear end, whatever) isn't a bad arc, but its resolution seems way too fast.

There was more lead-up to "Let's fight a murderghost because I feel bad about it" then "Annie resolves her father issues"

Anyway this is the wrong thread for this

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 19, 2021

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
oh, lol. didn't even realize where i was posting

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

YISUN

https://twitter.com/gods_txt/status/1404439215102906369?s=19

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i still read gunnerkrigg court these days and i have no clue what you people are on about

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

fwiw my read on the poo poo with annie's dad was less handwaving away abuse and more just coming to terms with her dad being terrible but acknowledging she still loves him. i don't think it was written as well as it could have been but it's the kind of thing i struggle to put into words with my therapist, let alone a narrative read by thousands of folks.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mimesweeper posted:

maybe though

Maybe that map would explain why it feels like characters are constantly being led around by the nose by The Plot and have little volition or goals of their own.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

as a games forums poster first and foremost i'm tossing "thank god goons don't write gunnerkrigg court" in the bucket i keep my "thank god goons didn't design doom eternal" and "thank god goons didn't design sekiro" posts in

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Trebuchet King posted:

fwiw my read on the poo poo with annie's dad was less handwaving away abuse and more just coming to terms with her dad being terrible but acknowledging she still loves him. i don't think it was written as well as it could have been but it's the kind of thing i struggle to put into words with my therapist, let alone a narrative read by thousands of folks.

In all honesty, I agree with Jagganoth's general conceit on how it was working out in the comic, reading it by an update-by-update basis.

We knew her opinion of him wasn't going to change. The entire chapter felt superfluous.

Weirdly enough, I feel like Kill Six Billion Demons has a tiny bit of that problem right now, but in the other direction. Abbadon's talented enough that his art and the combat makes this incredibly engaging to read, but we haven't really gotten anywhere in... however long this has been going down. They're up in the air, sure, and Jagganoth and Alison have changed forms, but we haven't seen anybody die, get significantly injured, or anything that seems like it's about to draw this fight to a conclusion. Heck, Jagganoth's the only one with any potentially battle-changing battle damage so far. I know on Twitter that Abbadon's taking a break and that this fight will start to reach its conclusion after this, and while I'm definitely going to miss the spectacle of the fight, I'm also going to be happy to see something radically change.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Dammerung posted:

Weirdly enough, I feel like Kill Six Billion Demons has a tiny bit of that problem right now, but in the other direction. Abbadon's talented enough that his art and the combat makes this incredibly engaging to read, but we haven't really gotten anywhere in... however long this has been going down. They're up in the air, sure, and Jagganoth and Alison have changed forms, but we haven't seen anybody die, get significantly injured, or anything that seems like it's about to draw this fight to a conclusion. Heck, Jagganoth's the only one with any potentially battle-changing battle damage so far. I know on Twitter that Abbadon's taking a break and that this fight will start to reach its conclusion after this, and while I'm definitely going to miss the spectacle of the fight, I'm also going to be happy to see something radically change.

I think you're right - I hope it ends soon, not because it hasn't been great, but because after this splash page, the round of the fight will have said what it needs to. Either the demiurges can bring Jagganoth to the ground, or they can't, and the story moves on.
The spectacle is great but it shouldn't outstay its welcome; the same was true in the tournament in King of Swords. I'm pretty confident the pacing of this fight works well at book-speed rather than weekly-webcomic-speed, though, so I'm content with it.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Cowcaster posted:

as a games forums poster first and foremost i'm tossing "thank god goons don't write gunnerkrigg court" in the bucket i keep my "thank god goons didn't design doom eternal" and "thank god goons didn't design sekiro" posts in

goons not liking a thing is usually a pretty good indicator that it's actually good

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
The majority of Gunnerkrigg is extremely good. I'm still probably going to finish reading it at some point. I've just become much less confident that the author is able to conclude things in a way that I find satisfying.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Gunnerkrigg Court was good but the two Annies thing was part of what got my attention back after I dropped for a couple years but now that's gone and I'm pretty unhappy with how Tony is being handled so :shrug:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Dammerung posted:

Conversely, if any of the demiurges had dropped before we even got to Jagg's 2nd form it would trivialize their whole status as "God's of the seven part world" so I expect anyone to bit the dust to do so in the upcoming pages or more likely off-screen in whatever timeskip is like 90% likely to happen. A serious injury should also spell death to anyone at this point since even before unleashing his beach shorts, Jagganoth was going for the kills. But this is someone's last stand in my mind as well as the Big drat fight to kick off whatever resolution we have coming up. Mottom almost bought the farm earlier and she's positively glowing right now. mammon is also not that great a fighter so those two are likely to not be present in the future. I don't see Gog or Incubus not being in the future and we understand from the cover Jadis is probably coming out of her hypercube. Only wild card is Solomon who is the best fighter besides Jagganoth but got a lot of recent development so if he dies it sets up White Chain's whole deal with the War for Rabuya and if he's crippled or otherwise leaves that serves the same end.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I wonder if, in all 777,777 universes, there is a single webcomics thread that hasn't become a Gunnerkrigg Problems thread

Joe Slowboat posted:

I think you're right - I hope it ends soon, not because it hasn't been great, but because after this splash page, the round of the fight will have said what it needs to. Either the demiurges can bring Jagganoth to the ground, or they can't, and the story moves on.
The spectacle is great but it shouldn't outstay its welcome; the same was true in the tournament in King of Swords. I'm pretty confident the pacing of this fight works well at book-speed rather than weekly-webcomic-speed, though, so I'm content with it.

Agreed, and it looks like the fighters are basically maxed out, so outside some DBZ-style hidden true forms thing I think this should conclude in a minute.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Brought To You By posted:

Conversely, if any of the demiurges had dropped before we even got to Jagg's 2nd form it would trivialize their whole status as "God's of the seven part world" so I expect anyone to bit the dust to do so in the upcoming pages or more likely off-screen in whatever timeskip is like 90% likely to happen. A serious injury should also spell death to anyone at this point since even before unleashing his beach shorts, Jagganoth was going for the kills. But this is someone's last stand in my mind as well as the Big drat fight to kick off whatever resolution we have coming up.

I dunno, it feels like Jagganoth being unable to do serious damage to anybody is trivializing his status as the Destroyer of the Wheel a little more? I'm hoping that things will change, but him striking somebody like Mammon full force like he did in 2-53 without Mammon showing any damage reminds me more of Dragonball fights where massive explosions and beams usually just mean somebody's going to lose some clothing. We've already hyped up the Demiurges, darn it!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dammerung posted:

I dunno, it feels like Jagganoth being unable to do serious damage to anybody is trivializing his status as the Destroyer of the Wheel a little more? I'm hoping that things will change, but him striking somebody like Mammon full force like he did in 2-53 without Mammon showing any damage reminds me more of Dragonball fights where massive explosions and beams usually just mean somebody's going to lose some clothing. We've already hyped up the Demiurges, darn it!

He's facing seven-to-one odds against the other most powerful entities in the universe, and it's a draw. That seems like enough to sell him as a pretty big deal.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Darth Walrus posted:

He's facing seven-to-one odds against the other most powerful entities in the universe, and it's a draw. That seems like enough to sell him as a pretty big deal.

But he's the Destroyer of the Wheel, though, not the Stalemater of the Wheel. I know things are about to change, and I'm glad for it, because Solomon still hasn't even lost a drop of blood yet.

Draadnagel
Jul 16, 2011

..zoekend naar draadnagels bij laag tij.
I think all the demiurges will survive. If there is a conclusion it will be reached not through violence and death. Alison isn't gonna deus-ex her way out of this through sheer force and will, something else will break the wheel and i'm excited to see how it plays out. Hell, Jadis is still in a cube and if the chapter title page is any indication she finds resolution.

I have faith in Abbadon for crafting an interesting and satisfactory ending to this comic. So far he's shown remarkable skill in both art and story.

Goons need to have some faith man.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I literally have no real prediction for K6BD and I love it.

skaianDestiny posted:

Gunnerkrigg Court was good but the two Annies thing was part of what got my attention back after I dropped for a couple years but now that's gone and I'm pretty unhappy with how Tony is being handled so :shrug:

This and I thought the Tic Toc resolution was a bit of a wet fart.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I wonder if at some point Zoss is going to try to turn the wheel again only for Allison to stop him.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Draadnagel posted:

I think all the demiurges will survive. If there is a conclusion it will be reached not through violence and death. Alison isn't gonna deus-ex her way out of this through sheer force and will, something else will break the wheel and i'm excited to see how it plays out. Hell, Jadis is still in a cube and if the chapter title page is any indication she finds resolution.

I have faith in Abbadon for crafting an interesting and satisfactory ending to this comic. So far he's shown remarkable skill in both art and story.

Goons need to have some faith man.

Of course! I'm anxious to see where it goes, even if I'm not absolutely happy with everything. Because this is it, and I've been waiting for this, and it's gonna be so loving cool once pieces start settling. More than anything else, I want to see Alison somehow break through the infinite monstrosity that Jagganoth has become, the Lord of Rocks, and find/save the traumatized man he once was. Or whatever happens, really.

ChaseSP posted:

I wonder if at some point Zoss is going to try to turn the wheel again only for Allison to stop him.

This is a really interesting thought process, and now you've got me curious too. He seems to be doing everything he can to urge Alison not to be like him, and it'd be pretty interesting if Alison's main power was the ability to help people overcome their worst natures. Sort of like she's done for the Demiurges so far.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I believe Zoss is as much if a slave as it's master as everyone else is, only for him to realize and try to break away only to fail time and time again due to the inescapable knowledge that he can freely try again should this time fail and this is his own trap he needs to be broken out of

Draadnagel
Jul 16, 2011

Dammerung posted:

This is a really interesting thought process, and now you've got me curious too. He seems to be doing everything he can to urge Alison not to be like him, and it'd be pretty interesting if Alison's main power was the ability to help people overcome their worst natures. Sort of like she's done for the Demiurges so far.

'Sort of' is doing a lot of work in this sentence, lol. All the demiurges are still the same massive assholes. they have, just for a moment, a different motivation than just maintaining the status quo.

I hope Zoss and the concordance of angels show up and get hosed by the combined might of 7 very pissed of demiurges, a noodle lover and 1 barista/angel/fanfic writer.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Dammerung posted:

But he's the Destroyer of the Wheel, though, not the Stalemater of the Wheel. I know things are about to change, and I'm glad for it, because Solomon still hasn't even lost a drop of blood yet.

What makes you think he's anything but a pretender Destroyer of the Wheel when he's already spent however many iterations explicitly and emphatically failing to do that? :razz:

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Draadnagel posted:

'Sort of' is doing a lot of work in this sentence, lol. All the demiurges are still the same massive assholes. they have, just for a moment, a different motivation than just maintaining the status quo.

I hope Zoss and the concordance of angels show up and get hosed by the combined might of 7 very pissed of demiurges, a noodle lover and 1 barista/angel/fanfic writer.

Admittedly, yes, but I have faith that they will change! Instead of Killing Six Billion Demons, we can save... 11 lost people? I guess that's not quite as striking a comic title.

Captain Oblivious posted:

What makes you think he's anything but a pretender Destroyer of the Wheel when he's already spent however many iterations explicitly and emphatically failing to do that? :razz:

He's got a cool war hammer this time!

...where'd the war hammer go? I'm choosing to believe that it's waaaaaaay back there, between arms 71 and four million or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draadnagel
Jul 16, 2011

Dammerung posted:

Admittedly, yes, but I have faith that they will change! Instead of Killing Six Billion Demons, we can save... 11 lost people? I guess that's not quite as striking a comic title.

honestly, I can only agree with this

Zoss and Metatron can still get merc'd though.