Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

1. Make sure you've shaved recently.
2. Moisturise your face and neck.
3. Wear a shirt with a higher collar/turtleneck.
4. (Optional) Buy a more comfortable jacket. Rukka stuff is super comfortable, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I always wear a microfiber sleeve when riding, it prevents wind fatigue and also stops any annoying rubbing. I honestly hate riding without it and I don't get why anyone does that. It's also pretty negligible when it comes to heat.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

ah, a high collar base layer would do the trick. probably help me keep cooler, too! (or warmer if I get something insulating) although that moisturizing/shaving tip is relevant too. I definitely wasn't worried about grooming on my last trip.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Any recommendations for a decent vest (preferably hi-vis) that has some kind of storage pocket and badge/ID holder on the chest? Something like the old style of Icon hi-vis:

Maybe I'm just bad at searching online. Cyclegear has one but the quality is terrible.

E: I'm in the US.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

its all nice on rice posted:

Any recommendations for a decent vest (preferably hi-vis) that has some kind of storage pocket and badge/ID holder on the chest? Something like the old style of Icon hi-vis:

Maybe I'm just bad at searching online. Cyclegear has one but the quality is terrible.

E: I'm in the US.

If it doesn't have to be armoured or crash-resistant, just check places that sell PPE for security guards and/or builders.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Razzled posted:

personally i never had an issue with my rf1200's transition lens. if it's sunny and i go through a long tunnel or whatever i just flip it up or just leave it closed entirely and deal. it was really nice to not have to care about what lens was currently fitted to the helmet since some days i'd be in the office til night time

What I want is someone to make a version of the eye shields on a welding helmet that switch in a fraction of a second (lighter tint obviously) and combine it with the system that cars use to know when to turn the headlights on and off.

I’d happily charge my helmet or put batteries in it for that feature.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What I want is someone to make a version of the eye shields on a welding helmet that switch in a fraction of a second (lighter tint obviously) and combine it with the system that cars use to know when to turn the headlights on and off.

100%, that poo poo is so incredibly helpful lol

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Isn't it how transitional eyeglasses work to a smaller degree? Don't they have visors like that?

Edit: just looked it up. Photochromic is the term. Shoei has a visor you can buy

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
That would be pretty neat and should be easy to acomplish. Maybe we should kickstarter this. Only thing that needs to be researched first is if any manufacturer can supply large enough odd shaped panels. There is a reason welding helmets have a pretty standard/small rectangle, those panels are cheap af.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Nitrox posted:

Isn't it how transitional eyeglasses work to a smaller degree? Don't they have visors like that?

Edit: just looked it up. Photochromic is the term. Shoei has a visor you can buy

That’s what spawned this heh. The thing is they take a while to adjust rather than the instantaneous that the welding helmets do

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Photochromic lenses are also an automatic chemical reaction that reacts to UV. They can't be manually activated or react to quick changes like tunnels, like the scenario being discussed. But my photochromic worked fine for my RF1200. I'm pissed they changed the visor mechanism for the RF1400, so I'd have to pay $200 to get a new one upgrading to the 1400. It's honestly one of the things that made me look into a cheaper lid with a manual sun visor.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The Photochromatic visor isn't even readily available for the RF1400 until this fall(?)

The dark smoke one isn't even expected to be available until August

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Photochromic visor sounds really good, need to see if they make one for my hjc.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
They make photochromic pinlock inserts, so you won't have shade over the full area of the visor, but a big chunk of it. They are called Protectint inserts.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Manifest Dynasty posted:

Photochromic lenses are also an automatic chemical reaction that reacts to UV. They can't be manually activated or react to quick changes like tunnels, like the scenario being discussed. But my photochromic worked fine for my RF1200. I'm pissed they changed the visor mechanism for the RF1400, so I'd have to pay $200 to get a new one upgrading to the 1400. It's honestly one of the things that made me look into a cheaper lid with a manual sun visor.

my problem with my old neotec that had an internal sun visor was that it makes the helmet huge on top of what is already a giant head (i wear XL), the rf1200 with photochrom lens had less of bobblehead factor

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The system is already in use on rearview mirrors for when assholes high beam you. Isn't a welding mask basically an LCD though? I don't think you could make that stuff on a curving flippable visor.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is there any issue with installing a Pinlock on a visor you've been using for a while already?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

Is there any issue with installing a Pinlock on a visor you've been using for a while already?

It might not stick as well if scratches have had a chance to build up inside the visor, which would lower the effectiveness, but no there's no specific reason you can't.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
The last time I asked I was told that anything with transitions lenses makes you look like a sexrapist.

The Shoei visor is also like $200 or something hilarious.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

No one can tell your visor is transition though, it either looks clear or tinted. The price is ridiculous though, but it's really nice to not have to carry two visors with you.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Strife posted:

The last time I asked I was told that anything with transitions lenses makes you look like a sexrapist.

The Shoei visor is also like $200 or something hilarious.

That's really just for glasses.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Manifest Dynasty posted:

They make photochromic pinlock inserts, so you won't have shade over the full area of the visor, but a big chunk of it. They are called Protectint inserts.

Unless they've been radically improved in the past few years, the photochromic pinlock inserts suck balls - the tint takes forever to transition because the visor is blocking some of the UV light that triggers the change.

Strife posted:

I've never understood why transition lenses = perv, but hey, whatever floats people's boats I guess

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jazzzzz posted:

I've never understood why transition lenses = perv, but hey, whatever floats people's boats I guess

I’m pretty sure it’s all Jeffrey Dahmers fault. The most famous pic of him features them I believe

E: I just looked and the pic I’m thinking of doesn’t show the glasses as dark as I remember. :iiam:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The bike gear megathread: I’m pretty sure it’s all Jeffrey Dahmers fault

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Unexpected obstacle in the road? Just ask yourself: What would Jeffrey do?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jazzzzz posted:

lol because nothing looks worse / funnier than an IT professional's wire framed glasses tinted black when they enter a building. there is a reason sunglasses have different frames than eyeglasses

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

right arm posted:

IT professional's

The accepted terms are nerd or dork tyvm.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Computer toucher or computer janitor :colbert:

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

Slavvy posted:

The system is already in use on rearview mirrors for when assholes high beam you. Isn't a welding mask basically an LCD though? I don't think you could make that stuff on a curving flippable visor.

You can, it's just expensive (and sounds fragile): https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/agv-agvisor-lcd-face-shield?sku_id=1068727. You also have the problem of batteries and charging, which is always going to be a pain in the rear end.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

syzygy86 posted:

You can, it's just expensive (and sounds fragile): https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/agv-agvisor-lcd-face-shield?sku_id=1068727. You also have the problem of batteries and charging, which is always going to be a pain in the rear end.

Well there we are then.

Lol the top review ends:

quote posted:

Sure, on paper this is an awesome product but the execution has fallen short of my basic expectations.

:italy:.txt

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Jazzzzz posted:

Unless they've been radically improved in the past few years, the photochromic pinlock inserts suck balls - the tint takes forever to transition because the visor is blocking some of the UV light that triggers the change.

The one I had on my Tour-X4 was also weirdly polarised and created optical distortions around moving lights that gave me headaches.

Ripped that poo poo out after a week.

Gonna get some transitions-lens’d WileyFox glasses I think. Even if it makes me look like a sex pest Heston bluthmental.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Computer toucher or computer janitor :colbert:

It me

Also rack grunt is me

TheBacon fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 20, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m kind of in a pickle. I bought a pair of Dainese 4 Stroke 2 gloves to replace the D1 Carbon Short gloves I am currently riding with. All leather, longer cuff but still without a gauntlet, finder extension protection, hard slider, the works.

By all account a superior glove and yet.. I hate them? I don’t know if this is a matter of thicker leather vs the microsuede palm in the D1s but I felt like I was riding with snow mitts on. I couldn’t feel the controls and everything felt very foreign to me.

I haven’t owned enough gloves to know whether this is an “it’ll break in” thing or a “it’s better leather palm, you’ll get used to it/suck it up” thing but it forced me to make a detour home to switch gloves probably 15 minutes in. I was just too distracted by the lack of sensation. As soon as got out of the driveway with the D1’s on I felt very at home.

I guess if it’s a break-in thing it’s a catch 22. Break them in by riding with them, but I don’t want to ride with them because they’re not broken in.

Alternately I can just buy a new pair of Carbon short gloves I guess and be resigned to replacing them every year or two when the microsuede palm turns into a shag carpet. $200 is a lovely price for a ‘consumable’ but not a disaster.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

my rev'it cayenne pros and alpinestars celer v2s both took a couple weeks of riding to feel as good as my last set of broken in leather gloves did. I think it's just a break in thing being as dainese makes good stuff so it's not like you've got a "bad glove" per se

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm, maybe I’ll try to wear it around the house when I’m not doing anything. Definitely need them to break in a bit before I’m comfortable not being distracted by them.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I'll just say that I own a pair of dianese carbon 3s (guantlet) and they're amazing with the amount of feel that you get, goat leather palms i think. ~180 bux

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Gloves are like helmets imo, it's a piece of gear that needs to be as close to perfectly fitting as possible but everyone's got different shaped bits. If a supposedly 5 star product just doesn't quite fit right, there's nothing you can do about it.

That said, leather gloves can break in a lot; I only found out Knox gloves fit me so well because my local shop had an incredibly blown out pair of Orsas on the display stand that let me get a feel for what they'd be like to wear after being broken in. If the finger lengths are all correct for you, I'd say give them a chance.

You can also break them in by just wearing them around the house, if you're not comfortable riding with them yet. Took my last pair of leathers a good 2 weeks.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I've bought so many pairs of gloves trying to find the perfect pair. Outside motorcycling too, since I live in the frigid north and need to use my hands outside in the winter, but I've realized that either I have freakish carnival worker hands, or everyone else does. I have one pair of brown leather gloves from Nordstrom that I'll wear with a suit (but not the black ones, because for some reason the same gloves in black don't fit..), and a pair of Harley Davidson leather gloves of all loving brands that fit me perfectly.

Everything else, my Dainese gloves, my Tobacco gloves, my Dixxon gloves, my other Harley gloves, my other other Harley gloves, my other other other Harley gloves (etc) fit me okay but not well enough that I could feel confident wearing them for long periods or to do technical things like hit that elusive right blinker button.

I wish life were like video games and I could just go to the town square to find a leatherworker who could alter the gloves for me.

(I know that's what cobblers do but I don't feel like anything outside reattaching a heel to a pair of $40 pumps is something that's really in their skillset)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m not going to give up on these yet, will definitely wear them around before I throw them on the pile. Especially since the successor to what I DID like, the Carbon 3s, are out of stock EVERYWHERE in medium in colours that aren’t neon green or orange or blue. Sucks that I can’t do any typing with them on or I’d just wear them all day.

Now that I look back at it, the Carbon 3s fixed the only complaint I had about the D1s — the clarino palm. Not sure why I didn’t just go for those in the first place, other than the above stock problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Strife posted:

I've bought so many pairs of gloves trying to find the perfect pair. Outside motorcycling too, since I live in the frigid north and need to use my hands outside in the winter, but I've realized that either I have freakish carnival worker hands, or everyone else does. I have one pair of brown leather gloves from Nordstrom that I'll wear with a suit (but not the black ones, because for some reason the same gloves in black don't fit..), and a pair of Harley Davidson leather gloves of all loving brands that fit me perfectly.

Everything else, my Dainese gloves, my Tobacco gloves, my Dixxon gloves, my other Harley gloves, my other other Harley gloves, my other other other Harley gloves (etc) fit me okay but not well enough that I could feel confident wearing them for long periods or to do technical things like hit that elusive right blinker button.

I wish life were like video games and I could just go to the town square to find a leatherworker who could alter the gloves for me.

(I know that's what cobblers do but I don't feel like anything outside reattaching a heel to a pair of $40 pumps is something that's really in their skillset)

I feel this post in my bones.

I have found literally one pair that fit perfect (Held Air n Dry), everything else, including stuff by Held, is too long fingered or too tight. I've tried A*, H-D, Rev'it, Halvarssons, none of them perfect.

I keep buying new pairs of gloves and returning them. I want to go to a shop and try on like 30 pairs of gloves, but it might be seen as taking the piss a bit in the COVID era. So I stick to online and return for a refund. Sigh.

I've almost as bad a problem with helmets, i.e. tried on LOADS. Thus far my HJC IS-17 fits perfect, but it's poo poo for attaching my Sena to gracefully. So I have a Bell SRT for the Sena, but the Bell is a bit poo poo with my glasses sliding forward a bit. I should buy the HJC IS-17's Sena cheekpads, but at £170 they are a bit much for something that'll be binned/sold for a song when the helmet is binned. SIGH.