Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Got fifty peppers in this morning maybe I’ll hit a hundred today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
Driving my big tractor

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

pick your peas wife

I traded the rent money for some magic potato beans, looks like I'll be able to reach the giant's castle by 2023

can't figure out if the artichoke needs a little shop of horrors reference or an eraserhead reference. "feed me henry"

if and when dick acres ever gets procured I am planting tobacco as a border crop. it's doing a lot better than I expected. it's -hecksa- thirsty, but it'll be a great post collapse barter item and I get no end of satisfaction knowing that whatever bugs or slugs eat it, they'll die as a result

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Got a hundred thirty some plants in the dirt. It’s supposed to rain tonight. This is the best the gardens ever been.

E

It didn’t rain til today. Ive been trying to sneak some time in when I get home from work in the morning. I’ve got some solar tiki lights to give it a spooky vibe. I was swinging a hoe yesterday and took out a volunteer tomato that looked better than any I had planted. I also saw a little toad and worried I hurt them but then i saw them again this morning so it seems like they’re okay.

I’m mulch in with bedding pack from a beef farm and then using lawn clippings over that for a weed barrier.

E2

My lil toad friend lives in a hole in the basil bed.

E3

My poo poo’s coming today (allegedly) and I think we’re dry enough to till

E4

Hasn’t been dry enough to till really and I’m waiting on my flail mower to ship but this thing hasn’t even blinked. I’ve done a month’s worth of gardening and the tachometer says it took five hours

Rationale has issued a correction as of 02:06 on Jun 14, 2021

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Been a while but this year is going much better than last it terms of organizing.

First up, is I've planted a bunch of MILPA mix from https://greencover.com/woo-seed/milpa-garden-warm-season/

Its pretty neat, though super dense. But it looks great. Only taken mustard greens from it so far. Not sure if any of the squashes are surviving given how dense its turning out to be.

The main garden has 30 inch beds, with various things. The tomatoes and peppers are just starting to come online. I need to fill it out more but my transplants/seed starting has been HORRIBLE this year.

The conduit there is for a low tunnel I used in the spring

The tarps are for a storm coming in, I have newly tilled beds and it will stop some of the runoff and keep them a bit drier. A lot of dry beans are going in. On the left is wheat and oats I'm testing out. Never tried making my own flour/oatmeal before.

And in the far left there is another patch that will be for pumpkins/melons. Also covered for storms.

For the multi-year project, I planted winter rye in this field and cut it down via scythe in the last couple weeks

After that I let it dry out and cut it down as low as possible with a riding mower. Then followed up with tilling everything in. Now I've spread sudan grass seed and rolled it in (I don't have a seeder so it was all hand broadcast). That will add a shitload of biomass for next year. And this is a better plot minus its lack of nutrients. Its depleted from being a hay field for a century but has nice sandy soil.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
We just had a heat wave here in California, so these aren't looking the best. Transferred from 1 gallon pot to 25 gallon grow bags. Gave them a handful of organic fertilizer. Will give them a bit of fish emulsion next week.

My first time growing this. Picked them up a month ago for $20 each.

e: Blue Dream and Face Mints

Fozzy The Bear has issued a correction as of 19:34 on Jun 19, 2021

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

$20/seed is insanely expensive wtf

i grew two plants from bagseed then mated them and got dozens and dozens of seeds for free. they've been in a jar with a dessicant just waiting for legalization lol

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

i say swears online posted:

$20/seed is insanely expensive wtf

i grew two plants from bagseed then mated them and got dozens and dozens of seeds for free. they've been in a jar with a dessicant just waiting for legalization lol

It was $20 for a small 4" pot. I spent a month or two search for legal seed/plants. Everything you can readily buy here in California are female seed/plant only.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

feminized/sinsemilla is bullshit, i love the old fashioned way

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the tomatoes are still a week or so out. the garden dildo turned out to be the first summer crop to be eaten

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

everything's blooming

the morning glory

the nasturtium

the garden dildo plant

the artichoke

the egyptian walking onion

whatever this is

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The Voice of Labor posted:

whatever this is

dianthus

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

hello gardening thread

garden chat in the climate change thread has made me curious

how are you all prepping for climate change? how has it effected you thus far?

gardening is a relatively new hobby for me. but climate change has been on the forefront of my mind as i learn and grow things. it's been a strong motivator for me to keep upping my gardening game

at the very least i am expecting a lot of crop failures leading rising prices and produce shortages, in the coming months/years. it reduces my anxiety to know that i can grow at least a little bit of my own food

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
[Forgot there was a gardening thread so reposting from the CC thread]

Got some pots for plants in my window sill in my apartment. Just because I have exactly 0 sqft of outdoor space to my name doesn't mean I won't try to grow things.

My mint sprouted but that's all its done in two months. I repotted it and added more dirt so the plants aren't as deep in the pot and can get more light. My catnip sprouted like crazy but I finally realized I put way too many seeds in there, so I pruned the hell out of it, also added more dirt, and took a couple of the sprouts and planted them in a cup. If that one thrives I'm planning on planting it near my parking space on the downlow for CAT FRIENDS :catdrugs:

The other seedlings I had to prune out, sorry friends, better luck in the next life. I might huck them over the fence into the vacant lot and see if they take, better than just the trash. There's already random bamboo and poo poo growing there.

Even though this is insanely small time, it was kinda nice just sitting the floor and playing in the dirt.

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010

osprey posted:

hello gardening thread

gardening is a relatively new hobby for me. but climate change has been on the forefront of my mind as i learn and grow things. it's been a strong motivator for me to keep upping my gardening game

at the very least i am expecting a lot of crop failures leading rising prices and produce shortages, in the coming months/years. it reduces my anxiety to know that i can grow at least a little bit of my own food

Get to know plants, the way they live, their survival strategies etc. Learn how different plants interact and how polycultures can lessen the need for heavy input from you. Plant perennials! It's amazing how resilient these can be when compared with annual equivalents.

I don't see it as something that will save me in the case of total collapse but it's a thing you can do right here and now

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

so I need to have a grass lawn in the front (with the option of some % xeriscaped) for the sake of the HOA.
I’m trying to keep it at 3 or 4 inches so I can get away with watering it like once a week and the grass is a lovely green so far - so I’m counting that as a success.

but the flower beds in my front yard are getting overrun with grass rhizomes. besides picking those out by hand, and I guess eventually buying a bunch of bricks to line the beds, what are some nice things I can plant that’ll outcompete grass in a mulched bed?

I bought a few society garlics because the internet says they’re ground cover and they seem to be doing well, and they apparently spread a bit because I’m seeing new ones come up randomly, but it hasn’t been as dramatic as I would have liked. their pink flowers are nice.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I'd install a giant fuckoff radio tower before willingly growing grass at the behest of neighborhood ghouls.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

osprey posted:

I no longer get enough winter chill to set fruit on certain deciduous fruit trees. For now, I can probably adapt by converting to low-chill cultivars.

The other end of it is that I can grow tropical and subtropical plants that were previously too cold-sensitive for the area. I expect that climate destabilization will ultimately come for me like it did for Texas, but for now it’s interesting to grow some of these impossible plants.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

skooma512 posted:

Even though this is insanely small time, it was kinda nice just sitting the floor and playing in the dirt.
Yeah that's the point. Well, that and sitting on the floor smoking weed and watching everything quietly grow each morning and also noticing the fauna that moves in too. I used to cover my apartment patios in potted plants to have somewhere green to sit.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Organic Lube User posted:

I'd install a giant fuckoff radio tower before willingly growing grass at the behest of neighborhood ghouls.

the good news is as far as I can tell I could put a radio tower in the back and they can’t stop me

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The “HOAs can’t do poo poo to infringe your god-given right to enjoy the radio spectrum” provisions have been significantly weakened in the past few years.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Corn is a grass. Just saying.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Use your front yard to harvest your own wheat for milling and baking. :shobon:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I honestly can't imagine living in a place where I need to actively water a lawn or risk getting yelled at by an HOA. What an utterly hosed up waste of resources.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
This is free country :smug: :911: The government doesn't tell us what to do with our houses

Only the bank, HOA, city council, zoning board, and anyone within 10 miles with 200 dollars for a lawsuit can tell me what to do with my house :bahgawd:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I should have a small surplus of roquette seed in 2-3 weeks if anyone wants some. it's pretty good at self sowing, a robust plant and one of the best salad greens

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Corn is a grass. Just saying.

as is millet

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

skooma512 posted:

Got some pots for plants in my window sill in my apartment. Just because I have exactly 0 sqft of outdoor space to my name doesn't mean I won't try to grow things.

heck yeah. it's nice to have some herbs growing in the window. freshens the room, smells good

i've never grown catnip but i really should, i'm sure my cats would appreciate the drugs

skooma512 posted:

feeling you on this too. playing in the dirt is very soothing. calms me right down when the anxiety gets overwhelming. taking up gardening is probably the best thing i've ever done for my mental health

humans have been gardening for thousands of years. the urge must be pretty well coded into us by now

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

just looking at greenery has been proven to have a positive mental effect. literally just looking at photos of greenery is good for us.

i think what we all need is daily access to green space with an open flame and the sound of waves.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Either I’m growing ditch catnip or there’a a founder effect in my area and none of the kitties are predisposed to take to catnip.

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

crazyvanman posted:

Get to know plants, the way they live, their survival strategies etc. Learn how different plants interact and how polycultures can lessen the need for heavy input from you. Plant perennials! It's amazing how resilient these can be when compared with annual equivalents.

I don't see it as something that will save me in the case of total collapse but it's a thing you can do right here and now

good advice, thanks :)

in my zone, a lot of annuals act like perennials because it almost never freezes here*

edit: *for now

osprey has issued a correction as of 04:01 on Jul 3, 2021

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

lemon catnip smells really nice

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

osprey posted:

hello gardening thread

The crops that fail will be mostly feed for livestock. If you live in an temperate climate, you can garden ok since the key is access to water.

Beyond that, you can control weather with hoop houses/low tunnels, and row covers + shades. And drip irrigation to conserve, and the covers keep the dumping rain out of your beds.

Market garden style growing is what you want to look at.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
This is more landscaping than gardening but gently caress it, I'm proud and want to share.

Before:

After:

(Ignore the lawn, that's a fall problem.)

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

osprey posted:

hello gardening thread

To be honest, it’s really boring poo poo like planting trees and using tons of mulch. I’m in the PNW and we just had multiple 100+ days in a row and the only trees that got even moderately leaf scorched was the one with the thinnest layer of mulch. Burying a soaker hose took care of that and I’m already seeing a second flush of leaves.

But yeah, I’m slowly adding moderately sized trees to my yard (10-25’ in 10 years) to add shade and keep temps a little more moderate. The front yard is slowly turning into an informal orchard for similar reasons.

Planting perennials is also really helpful. The front and far back beds are filled with dahlias and they did superbly well in the heat and were fine being topped up with water in the morning or evening on those extreme days.

But man is it hard to plan plantings. It’s easy to have one freak frost early or late that completely screws things over then two months later you have a drat gets dome. You do what you can to be honest.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Get row covers to deal with frost!

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

You can build a low tunnel for $100-150, maybe even less -

You can use greenhouse plastic for it, but off the shelf big box sheets will work for just frost purposes.

In this snow from April, there is a bunch of spinach and other spring crops already growing in there.

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

Platystemon posted:

I no longer get enough winter chill to set fruit on certain deciduous fruit trees. For now, I can probably adapt by converting to low-chill cultivars.

The other end of it is that I can grow tropical and subtropical plants that were previously too cold-sensitive for the area. I expect that climate destabilization will ultimately come for me like it did for Texas, but for now it’s interesting to grow some of these impossible plants.

yeah thanks, I've been wondering about fruit trees specifically. been wanting to plant a few in my yard.

my zone was already too hot for most deciduous fruit trees, except for some of the low-chill types.

now i'm assuming even those are not going to do well here anymore :smith:

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010
The best solution for infestation imo Is IPM (integrated pest management) namely beneficial insects.
http://ipm.ucanr.edu/QT/beneficialinsectscard.html
You can grow plants that attract them or introduce them manually
The stratiolaelaps scimitus are awesome for cannabis

The employee of the month however is the garden variety jumping spider

These are so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

Seatbelts posted:

The best solution for infestation imo Is IPM (integrated pest management) namely beneficial insects.
http://ipm.ucanr.edu/QT/beneficialinsectscard.html
You can grow plants that attract them or introduce them manually
The stratiolaelaps scimitus are awesome for cannabis

The employee of the month however is the garden variety jumping spider

These are so good

Ye, I see cobwebs under my potato bed. Happy they're doing work.

I wish my lot was a little bigger since my city ordinance can't gel with building duck hut or chicken coop. Ducks are supposed to be a non destructive pest eater like grubs and snails.