Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
https://www.carbonfan.com/depth-50mm-width-25mm-20er-clincher-406-carbon-road-rim

I wonder if you can get a 20" disc wheel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

These with one of those titanium Brompton clones would be loving sick.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

resident posted:

I showed my wife your bike and she still made fun of me or wanting to buy a tiny wheel bike. Nuance is lost on the ignorant.

your bike is loving awesome

e: she thinks the clown bike is hilarious so apparently there’s an extreme ground. There is no room for a middle ground

Don't need much room at all because it folds up...

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

mikemelbrooks posted:

If you posted a video of you riding your bike it would help a lot more than a photo of a book stuffed up your crotch. On a trainer preferably, in a clown wig if you like.

shoes or no shoes?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

actionjackson posted:

shoes or no shoes?

At least two pairs of shoes on each foot

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

in all seriousness, I will have my neighbor take a picture for me on the bike at that 30.4" height. I will even clip in :)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

actionjackson posted:

in all seriousness, I will have my neighbor take a picture for me on the bike at that 30.4" height. I will even clip in :)

A little video of you riding around would be ideal

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

e.pilot posted:

Do it, you won't regret it. :getin:

this bike remains the raddest thing I’ve ever seen

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Yes you can.

Blotto_Otter posted:

this bike remains the raddest thing I’ve ever seen

:yossame:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

here's a couple pictures, first is at 30.4" seat height (my actual "lemond number"), second is at around 31" seat height.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
regardless of what everyone is going to say, good on you for posting some photos after the poo poo you got dude. :hfive:

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
That looks pretty normal to me, the top one anyway (leg extension). Ride it for a few hundred miles and get used to stopping and starting?

FWIW on my small road bike with 700x40 tires and 70mm bb drop and road shoes I can stop at traffic lights, seated, with one foot down on the very tip of the shoe just to balance. I can imagine with slightly different geometry and shoes you might have to lean the bike to do that, or just hop off the front of the saddle - both are fine and normal. Just get used to what you need to do for your bike.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Both look good in terms of fit. The bike miiiight be a little small but nothing that fit was and flexibility can't fix. As others have mentioned , when at a red light your butt should be off the. Ike and over your top tube. That's the safest way to be at a red light without falling over.

Also arch/straighten your back a bit. It shouldn't be curved like that while riding. You can do this be sticking your butt out a little. That will also get your soft spot and sit bones onto your seat. Bend your elbows a bit as well.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Shadowhand00 posted:

Also arch/straighten your back a bit. It shouldn't be curved like that while riding. You can do this be sticking your butt out a little. That will also get your soft spot and sit bones onto your seat. Bend your elbows a bit as well.

Yeah, bend from your hips not from the spine

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'm no expert but it seems mostly ok to me. I would tip the handlebars up a bit so you don't have to change your position that much to make good use of the hoods.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks!

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Hoods are for aero though and you'd want to be able to shift your position at the hoods. Looks good to me. It's really the back arch that's bothering me right now. Otherwise it looks good. If you are finding keeping your back being difficult the it's a strength thing. Do some planks in addition to cycling to strengthen your core.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Shadowhand00 posted:

Hoods are for aero though and you'd want to be able to shift your position at the hoods. Looks good to me. It's really the back arch that's bothering me right now. Otherwise it looks good. If you are finding keeping your back being difficult the it's a strength thing. Do some planks in addition to cycling to strengthen your core.

would moving the seat up a bit help with this as well?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
This is a picture of my first bicycle fit. Notice the change in position. I’m also pedaling smoother (I can link the video if you want) but notice how the back angle changes. Ideally, you want to look similar to that; they achieved this for me by lengthening the stem and maintaining a flat hood and handlebar.

The left is the fitted bike. The right is the before.

I personally wouldn’t move up the seat to try to achieve this. If anything, your seat at 30.4” looks fine and in fact looks better. Bend your arms some more and make sure you’re looking up (and not down at the tire).

Edit: Can’t believe that I really got into cycling with that fit 8 years ago. Been a long road.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Without seeing more than one frame and also a posterior shot, we can't draw anything definitive from the posted photo. Even sitting on a saddle slightly crooked or canted will have a major effect on knee angles. This is why I'd rather just get a reliable measurement of his book inseam, use the Lemond method and subtract 1-1.5cm from it.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 19, 2021

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

As someone who recently had to learn how to unclip and stand over the top tube at lights in metropolitan traffic after a bike fitting, it's really not that bad once you get a feel for it!

Sometimes you nail those push offs when the light turns green and you clip immediately in without having to "search" for the pedal and it feels rad even :)

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

actionjackson posted:

here's a couple pictures, first is at 30.4" seat height (my actual "lemond number"), second is at around 31" seat height.

A video would be better. preferably on a trainer pedalling at your normal cadence and against a reasonable resistance.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
All this bike fit talk finally got me to book an appointment for myself. I promise to post before/afters!

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
I moved to an area with some serious climbs and I am really bad at climbing mountains.
My casette is a 11-28 and I have a ultegra 6800 short cage rear derailleur. Shimano says 28 is the largest possible casette but I want a 32.
Some people wrote on the internet that on their bike the short cage work with a 32 casette.

What are my options ?
If I try it with the current derailleur and it doesn't work, do I need another (longer) chain once I buy a long cage ?
Derailleurs are hard to find these days, can I use a shimano 105 R700 or ultegra R8000 with my older 11 speed ultegra 6800 shifters ?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Krogort posted:

I moved to an area with some serious climbs and I am really bad at climbing mountains.
My casette is a 11-28 and I have a ultegra 6800 short cage rear derailleur. Shimano says 28 is the largest possible casette but I want a 32.
Some people wrote on the internet that on their bike the short cage work with a 32 casette.

What are my options ?
If I try it with the current derailleur and it doesn't work, do I need another (longer) chain once I buy a long cage ?
Derailleurs are hard to find these days, can I use a shimano 105 R700 or ultegra R8000 with my older 11 speed ultegra 6800 shifters ?

If you get an 11-32 you'd need to get a longer chain anyway.
You can use R7000 or R8000 fine with your 6800 shifters.
Another option is to get different chainrings - if you're on 53-39, say, going to 50-34 would be a massive difference.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Krogort posted:

What are my options ?

I'm not sure what your best option is, but there's a good website for figuring out which Shimano bits are compatible with eachother:

https://www.celebrazio.net/bicycling/shimano_compatibility.html

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
Get a Wolf Tooth Road Link. I have a 6800 medium cage RD which supposedly maxes at 32t and with the Road Link I was able to use a 42t cassette. You shouldn't have to worry about blowing apart the RD with a 4t jump.

The Road Link just drops the RD down from the hangar and is relatively cheap and easy to set up with some B-screw adjustment.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

spf3million posted:

All this bike fit talk finally got me to book an appointment for myself. I promise to post before/afters!

Where are you going to go for your fit?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
32t definitely works with the short cage derailleur, just make sure your chain is long enough.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Shadowhand00 posted:

Where are you going to go for your fit?

3D Bike Fit. Next available appointment wasn't until the end of July!

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

BeastPussy posted:

Get a Wolf Tooth Road Link. I have a 6800 medium cage RD which supposedly maxes at 32t and with the Road Link I was able to use a 42t cassette. You shouldn't have to worry about blowing apart the RD with a 4t jump.

The Road Link just drops the RD down from the hangar and is relatively cheap and easy to set up with some B-screw adjustment.

This is brillant, much less trouble than getting a new derailleur !

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Krogort posted:

This is brillant, much less trouble than getting a new derailleur !

Like Vando said, the RD you have can probably fit a bit larger cassette than officially stated so perhaps try the cassette alone first and see it it works. Shimano understates the max capacity for their road stuff as far as I know.

Also as Vando said, make sure your chain is long enough before anything else.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I'm just posting this to make a dick fitzwell joke.

Because dick fits well. :colbert:

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

BeastPussy posted:

Like Vando said, the RD you have can probably fit a bit larger cassette than officially stated so perhaps try the cassette alone first and see it it works. Shimano understates the max capacity for their road stuff as far as I know.

Also as Vando said, make sure your chain is long enough before anything else.

I’ve got to buy a new casette so will also get a new chain. I hope that if I got the new chain and it turns out not working without the hanger extension I can then fit the extension without needing another new longer chain.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
https://www.npr.org/2021/06/19/1008...PAE39t0n2YXzrfY

Man, gently caress people and gently caress cars. I hope this piece of poo poo never spends another day out of prison.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I went to an empty parking lot and tried out the 30.4" seat height, just using regular shoes for now. Starting up was actually pretty easy, but getting off the bike in the proper way was a lot trickier.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

actionjackson posted:

I went to an empty parking lot and tried out the 30.4" seat height, just using regular shoes for now. Starting up was actually pretty easy, but getting off the bike in the proper way was a lot trickier.

You'll get the hang of it, just keep at it. Practice is essential and worth it.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

spf3million posted:

3D Bike Fit. Next available appointment wasn't until the end of July!

They’re good but slightly sell-y, at least in the past, meaning, if you’re coming in with a saddle you like, or shoes you like or what not, they would try to sell you on the saddle or shoe they preferred. For a friend of mine, they were really pushing for the saddle they had developed at the time. They also really hate leather saddles (even if that’s your preferred saddle for your use-case).

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Shadowhand00 posted:

They’re good but slightly sell-y, at least in the past, meaning, if you’re coming in with a saddle you like, or shoes you like or what not, they would try to sell you on the saddle or shoe they preferred. For a friend of mine, they were really pushing for the saddle they had developed at the time. They also really hate leather saddles (even if that’s your preferred saddle for your use-case).

They never pushed me on anything but the saddle, and it’s actually a really nice saddle.

Anyway I doubt they’ll push the saddle super hard on current customers because they don’t have any to sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/19/1008...PAE39t0n2YXzrfY

Man, gently caress people and gently caress cars. I hope this piece of poo poo never spends another day out of prison.

:(