Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
she's got all the worst qualities, imo. She's got Oz's stiffness, Blossom's constant commentary, and Kuric's weird kinda patronizing tone. I feel a little bad disliking her so much because I think she's a morning show type of host and I'm sure she's fine there and unlike Blossom and Oz she's not an evil human being so I would like to like her but...yea, just kinda a combo of all the things that past guest hosts have done to be annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Funnily enough me and Mr. Hookshot both like her a lot. She probably speaks a bit too much between the clues but I think after two weeks of constant loving giggling we're just like "yeah no this person who can read the clues like a professional is fine".

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I quite like Savannah so far, her first ep she seemed really nervous but she's calmed down nicely. Will be interested to see how she improves in week 2.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I'm a filthy cable haver and I like watching her on Today, but for some reason she's not clicking with me as a host.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I like Savannah and she keeps the game moving. Unless I'm mistaken, there hasn't been a clue left on the board during her stint. It seemed like that was happening all the time with most of the other guest hosts.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm mostly indifferent, I think she's doing fine, and while not one of my preferred hosts, I would be fine if she ended up in the spot.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They should have Watson host.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I still think Buzzy has been the best so far. And Rodgers probably after him. Would not have predicted beforehand my top two being the people without much television experience.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, while I have to grudgingly admit Buzzy was better at hosting I still hope they actually give Aaron Rodgers the job.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
^^^Yea it would be nice if Rodgers got it. Obviously a fairly beloved QB doesn't really 'need' this but it'd be cool to give it to someone who's more a fan than a 'legacy' all things being equal and all.

So It Goes posted:

I still think Buzzy has been the best so far. And Rodgers probably after him. Would not have predicted beforehand my top two being the people without much television experience.

same, did not expect to like those two as much as I did but they were pretty great

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
speaking of which, does anyone have a way to watch the Aaron Rodgers eps? I have a friend who's a big football fan and is J-Curious.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Mister Kingdom posted:

Thanks to the useless game of golf, I have to wait until 1am Sunday/Monday to see tonight's and tomorrow's show.

gently caress you, golf.

My station is airing it at the same timeslot on "13.2 meTV", instead of the normal "13.1 WTHR". So check the subchannels for your affiliate

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

mlnhd posted:

My station is airing it at the same timeslot on "13.2 meTV", instead of the normal "13.1 WTHR". So check the subchannels for your affiliate

I have Dish, so I don't get the subchannels even though I get MeTV on its own.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
https://twitter.com/Sekelsky/status/1405651820169646082

I enjoyed Katie as a contestant.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
My thought was Sony and ViacomCBS are looking at three things: Are they good at hosting (Bye bye Bill), Do they have any skeletons that would create issues (See you later Docs) & Would a layperson in Akron or Yuma know who they are (So long Buzzy)? Whoever scores the highest in these metrics combined gets the nod. Whether the top pick accepts is unknown.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Buzzy was the best and has the best name for a game show.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Darth Brooks posted:

Buzzy was the best and has the best name for a game show.

Yes he is. The name is a bit on the nose but he's earned the right.

My concern is they want a name host regardless of merit and he has by far the lowest Q score out of everyone. The show is still subject to the whims of advertisers, networks and ratings after all & the public is fickle. Whoever gets it will goose the ratings for a month before seeing if it'll last.

Enough crazy talk, Final was actually tough today.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I really don't think they care about getting the most famous host.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

packetmantis posted:

I really don't think they care about getting the most famous host.

No, but name recognition will absolutely be a part.

Good reminder that it doesn’t have to be any of these guest hosts. Jeopardy is just trying to get though the season while using this to one time boost the ratings. They could or could not pick any of the guest hosts.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
So Thursday’s episode had the perfect example of how the writing has gotten shittier. TV Before and After, $200 clue: “Ned Stark faces a trio of women and asks them questions in order to select one of them for a night out.”

The answer is “The Dating Game of Thrones”, but that’s not how the clue is written; the Game of Thrones part of the clue is listed first.

Like, I get that it’s still obvious what they wanted and all, but that’s not how B&A clues work and it’s a sign of lovely writing.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I liked Savanah adding "...obviously" when she revealed the correct response after nobody buzzed in. Maybe she thought it was badly written, too?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
There was at least one other Before and After that was reversed too.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

1glitch0 posted:

There was at least one other Before and After that was reversed too.

The "Happy Days of Our Lives" was like DOOL->Happy Days->DOOL again, although I can see how they were using the "sands in the hourglass" to point you to the DOOL and trying to not have it really be part of the clue.

Still, yeah. It's stupid, because that's not how those clues are supposed to work, and it's a great example of the writing getting shoddy.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
https://www.thewrap.com/jeopardy-guest-hosts-ranked-by-ratings-ken-jennings-aaron-rodgers-dr-oz-mayim-bialik-anderson-cooper/

People are following the ratings, and Buzzy is tied for sixth with Dr. Oz :pwn:

I do not know how variation in the calendar year and the ToC factor in as confounders.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

That seems really misleading to me, because it's more or less just chronological order. Richards is in second but it's effectively a tie with Jennings, and yeah of course ratings are gonna be highest for the first episodes without Alex, and then it slowly falls off from there as it becomes less of an "event".

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If anything the story is how much Dr. Oz sucks rear end for how far below the curve he is

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Bialik is less popular than Oz? I know people have mentioned things about her that are questionable, but that's surprising to me. I didn't think anyone like Oz as host.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm blown away that Buzzy didn't get a TOC bump, that's disappointing

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I've noticed that those snake oil commercials have stopped now that Mayim Bialik isn't hosting, lmao.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Bialik is less popular than Oz? I know people have mentioned things about her that are questionable, but that's surprising to me. I didn't think anyone like Oz as host.

Oz is still a acolyte of Oprah so that guarantees some market share. Bialik is known as a comic actress first (and not as the star of her own 100+ episode sitcom), doctor second so he has the bigger Q score and therefore better ratings then hers. At least their ratings were lousy so they're likely out of the running.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Just seems like viewers are having guest host fatigue with the exception of people specifically tuning in to see Rodgers. Will be interesting to see Burtons ratings for how much people clamored for him online.

I don't normally follow ratings do
ToC weeks usually dip? Buzzy deserves better.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

banned from Starbucks posted:

Just seems like viewers are having guest host fatigue with the exception of people specifically tuning in to see Rodgers. Will be interesting to see Burtons ratings for how much people clamored for him online.

I don't normally follow ratings do
ToC weeks usually dip? Buzzy deserves better.

Jeopardy ratings are also a tough nut to crack, because the show is syndicated; it doesn't air on one single network at a given time (unlike, say, the GOAT tournament, which was at 7 p.m. on ABC). For example, in Madison, Wisconsin, Jeopardy airs on the local NBC affiliate at 4:30 p.m. In Dubuque, Iowa (where I just moved to this month and I can't get a single broadcast channel with my antenna :argh:), it's on at 4 p.m. on the NBC station out of Cedar Rapids. In Baltimore, it's on at 7 p.m. on the Fox affiliate. So there really isn't an apples-to-apples way of saying what drives the show's ratings, because there are just so many variables at play.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Here in Cincinnati it's on at 7:30 on Fox with Wheel of Fortune as the lead in.

Next door in Dayton it's on at the same time, but NBC with Inside Edition as the lead in.

The Cinci feed has a habit of getting preempted for sports. I live about equidistant from both towers so it is nice to be able to switch over to the Dayton feed when the Reds are playing.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Chicago has it at 3:30 right after Inside Edition which sucks during any heavy news day. Wheel gets the coveted 6:30 slot.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/LucyXIV/status/1406513248216616964

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
https://www.facebook.com/DysautonomiaInternational/posts/3954459851319531

Jeopardy writers are being called out for writing lovely clues again.

LOL

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

As soon as I saw the Final Jeopardy category, I already knew what it was going to be.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

RC and Moon Pie posted:

As soon as I saw the Final Jeopardy category, I already knew what it was going to be.

yea what else could it be that wouldn't be somehow even more obvious, I guess unless they dipped into actual mythology/folklore for 'literature'?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I was glad I counted how many letters "Jabberwocky" had before answering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

maybe if they didn't try to poo poo all over something people enjoy they wouldn't be called grinches, huh