Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001

priznat posted:

Actually that is good for Bitcoin

:haw:

In the short term it will probably pump as people scramble to get all of their USDT into BTC/ETH, then as liquidity dries up, probably massive volatility and then likely crater. There's probably some money to be made here but the timing is tricky as with all of crypto. Although who knows, anyone who pretends to know anything about crypto's future is probably incorrect. Maybe it will just moon and stay up. Or crash before Tether gets investigated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Party Boat posted:

If (when?) tether goes down that'll trigger a pretty huge crash across all crypto, right?
From the way I've seen Tether's role in the market described, it would suck the liquidity out of every exchange that relies on it as a dollar proxy. Bitcoin faith says that you never sell, but even the faithful have to cover their expenses and without a way to liquidate their next option is to sell from the future (ie stop buying).

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

priznat posted:

Actually that is good for Bitcoin lols

FTFY

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Cross-posting this from the BWM thread as there's loads about crypto.

Adolf Glitter posted:

Good long-form article about amateur trading/crypto poo poo.

‘I put my life savings in crypto’: how a generation of amateurs got hooked on high-risk trading

quote:

Online trading apps are drawing in novice investors willing to risk everything on volatile stocks. Do they really know what they’re doing?

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/jun/19/life-savings-in-crypto-generation-of-amateurs-hooked-on-high-risk-trading

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
The only "dip" anyone should be buying is guacamole

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Or hummus.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oh poo poo oh poo poo all my money is tied up in copies of Christina Milan's 2003 hit Dip it Low

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i'm sorry, all you actually own is a link to where a JPG of the album cover used to exist

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The ideal state of Bitcoin is that eventually all of the wallet passwords get lost, and mining grinds to a halt as the earth runs out of coal, and there is one person left with the last Bitcoin, who is now the richest man in the world.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
me

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
free the people

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Presumably.

I still wonder if some of the major players want to keep the price down in order to stop institutional investors from getting involved, which would then bring regulatory scrutiny to whole shell-game. Not everyone involved in crypto can be a complete idiot, right?

I don't buy this at all. Block rewards and mining fees require a constant, massive influx of new money to support current prices, let alone 60k+. You can't sit and hold crypto; if the price isn't going up it must go down. I don't actually believe professional traders are interested in anything other than short term trades. They are better at capitalizing on volatility than the 19 year olds they are trading against.

Bablicon
Jun 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Haha everyone itt is poor because they don’t understand crypto is the future. Just wait 20 years until you’re all getting global ubi on your implanted microchip/vaccine passport. Bunch of shitposting smoothbrains.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Bablicon posted:

Haha everyone itt is poor because they don’t understand crypto is the future. Just wait 20 years until you’re all getting global ubi on your implanted microchip/vaccine passport. Bunch of shitposting smoothbrains.

Oh yes

My body is ready

Give me the shitposts, it’s been so long, my body yearns for them GIVE THEM TO ME

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Not everyone involved in crypto can be a complete idiot, right?

… have you ever met anyone with a MBA? Solid 90% of them have no understanding or care for anything beyond turning X money into 2X money with zero regard for long term growth.

To answer your question, yes. Even the “smart” people in it are stupid.

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 19, 2021

Bablicon
Jun 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tehinternet posted:

Oh yes

My body is ready

Give me the shitposts, it’s been so long, my body yearns for them GIVE THEM TO ME

… have you ever met anyone with a MBA? Solid 90% of them have no understanding or care for anything beyond turning X money into 2X money with zero regard for long term growth.

To answer your question, yes. Even the “smart” people in it are stupid.

SA: Way Way smarter then the country of Equador.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SA as a community is very smart. For example, they permabanned Seraph

Bablicon
Jun 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jokes posted:

SA as a community is very smart. For example, they permabanned Seraph

Nope

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Bablicon posted:

shitposting is the only thing that brings you joy, clearly

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

You are permabanned though? Shitposting in the brief intervals between account destruction is funny.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Bablicon posted:

SA: Way Way smarter then the country of Equador.
Lol you don’t even know how to spell Ecuador

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Please refer to this instructional video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cQlVww0zKo

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Juul-Whip posted:

Lol you don’t even know how to spell Ecuador

Lol

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
How embarrassing!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Bitcoin is keeping these forums alive via the generosity and absolute buffoonery of Seraph

Thank you for you are service

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

spankmeister posted:

Please refer to this instructional video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cQlVww0zKo

I was going to make a joke about the Vengaboys, but just found out their name means Comeboys and I can't top that.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

https://twitter.com/penip_/status/1406135443385552899?s=19

Bablicon
Jun 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’ll never be able to show my face here again. The shame!

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
hey, have you guys heard Seraph's TED talk?

https://soundcloud.com/user-710437758/seraphs-ted-talk

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

The ideal state of Bitcoin is that eventually all of the wallet passwords get lost, and mining grinds to a halt as the earth runs out of coal, and there is one person left with the last Bitcoin, who is now the richest man in the world.

also the poorest man in the world

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Some people are so poor that all they have is money Bitcoin.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I think this is what :blood: looks like in bitcoin terms

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

buttcoin

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Could you please edit your oldest posts to bring parity with the rest of your thread contributions, they being me joy and it's bumming me out, thank you in advance.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It just seems like classic Seraph to not only confuse El Salvador and Ecuador, but be unable to properly spell either one.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Bablicon posted:

I’ll never be able to show my face here again. The shame!

and yet you participate in the forums. Curious

philihp
Jun 1, 2008

Hamburger Sandwich posted:

Why do bitcoiners keep trying to re-invent fiat currency?

(1) It takes days to move fiat.
(2) It is expensive to move fiat.
(3) If you do neither of these things, your fiat will be slowly debased. We call it inflation. At best, we accept it as something that is good for everyone except you, and at worst it's just a fact of life.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
https://twitter.com/NASCARonNBC/status/1406349369276735489

wow

drk fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 19, 2021

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Tokyo Doge across the finish line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

This is good for dogecoin actually