Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

something posted:

also, might be tmi - i *think* i am financially, basically at fortress of solitude, don't have to work another day in my life now.

just making poo poo i want cause its fun now, if it sucks (like ngu-i i guess, :c) i do apologise but at least i'll enjoy making it

thank yall deeply, for playing and buying stuff to make this possible :)

I was DEEP as hell into itrtg from around 2016-2017, i only stopped once ngu exploded
Just a little more and I can work for you! :clint: Really happy to hear this, congratulations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007
The one thing I'd want most in an NGU sequel (or any idle game these days really) is a sort of "save this setup" function that just puts all my resources right the gently caress back where they were after a rebirth, so if I'm farming I don't have to spend half an hour setting stuff up. Like with NGU, I put exactly the same thing in NGUs and advanced training and magic and such pretty much every rebirth, let me automate that process somehow.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Anfauglir posted:

The one thing I'd want most in an NGU sequel (or any idle game these days really) is a sort of "save this setup" function that just puts all my resources right the gently caress back where they were after a rebirth, so if I'm farming I don't have to spend half an hour setting stuff up. Like with NGU, I put exactly the same thing in NGUs and advanced training and magic and such pretty much every rebirth, let me automate that process somehow.

:emptyquote:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Anfauglir posted:

Yes, but then how are you playing the game?

I wish for this in a lot of places and a lot of ways, but then I realize that set up is about the only interaction I'm making with the game. If there were other interactive portions, then this would be great in a lot of places.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

something posted:

also, might be tmi - i *think* i am financially, basically at fortress of solitude, don't have to work another day in my life now.

just making poo poo i want cause its fun now, if it sucks (like ngu-i i guess, :c) i do apologise but at least i'll enjoy making it

Congrats! At the risk of tmi'ing you right back, I got into NGU because I needed something mindless to do to deal with the stress of my dad's last couple months on this earth. It helped and you were a lot cheaper than alcohol.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

tinstaach posted:

Oh and I was going to ask about the sales numbers for NGU:I, but I was worried the answer wasn't going to be great. That is awesome news 4G, it's really good to see that games of this kind can be viable (for a single dev anyway) without all the predatory tactics.

oh, they are a lot poopier than ngu. this is 95% ngu's doing.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Jhet posted:

Yes, but then how are you playing the game?

Tweaking and refining as new bonuses, features and upgrades are unlocked. If the game expects me to do the same setup and tear-down for 100s or even 1000s of loops that's exactly the sort of thing people end up writing scripts for in browser games and I'm really not into it. It's also one thing to do a little bit of resetting manually and quite another to have to go through dozens of minutes of the same old thing you've done Nthteen times already.

This was a big part of why people pushed to have the challenges in NGU compressed down to a smaller number of total runs in a given challenge with more chunky rewards, because before it was way too much trouble for nowhere near enough reward.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

something posted:

oh, they are a lot poopier than ngu. this is 95% ngu's doing.

i do still think ngui has a lot it can do at its core it just feels really fiddly a lot of the time

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012

Aurora posted:

i do still think ngui has a lot it can do at its core it just feels really fiddly a lot of the time

A poor fundamental design decision can take alot of reworking to undo.
I would say the problem with ngui is that getting optimal layouts is just not worth the time, and that minimally workable layouts is far more tedious that it should be. Cutting down the size of the maps would fix this, but then you have to adjust a squillion other things to conpensate. I dunno, if 4g is on the verge of abandoning it though, prolly time to do some yolo changes.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Dropping in to say thank you to Something. NGU was a way to pace through the co-troubles of the pandemic and watching my mom begin and lose her battle with cancer. Glad to have supported your journey to fortress of solitude-ness, enjoy it!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

something posted:

You deserve it! Congrats!

ngu content when

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Toshimo posted:

A hypothetical NGU2 would interest me 100x more if the loop was slightly shorter than 24 hours (a common thing I see in other games is 20 hour resets). Feeling pressured not to reset until just past the last time I started playing means that I can't just slot in some Idle Game time at the same time every day (say, with my morning coffee), because the reset keeps getting pushed back a little each day.

Forgive me if this is wrong/outdated, since I haven’t been able to play since Kongregate shut down, but NGU Idle does have an upgrade eventually that reduces the (Yggdrasil) loop to 23 hours.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Spokes posted:

You deserve it! Congrats!

ngu content when

soon, finishing up final content-y style update and confirming all the poo poo i had to d to move the game up 3 years of unity engine versions hasnt busted stuff

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Klungar posted:

Forgive me if this is wrong/outdated, since I haven’t been able to play since Kongregate shut down, but NGU Idle does have an upgrade eventually that reduces the (Yggdrasil) loop to 23 hours.

That's months, if not over a year into the game, longer if you aren't doing 24hr runs until you unlock it.

And, as I recall, there's other stuff that's somewhat keyed to a 24 hour cycle if slightly less rigid.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Synergism 2.5 dropped, along with more content it's redesigned quarks and the shop into more of a regular progression mechanism now that kongregate is dead. Now the amount of quarks you get from opening cubes is uncapped but the conversion is logarithmic, most shop upgrades have 100 levels, and there are a ton of newer, more expensive upgrades.

Oh it's also at a new location so you'll have to export and import your save: https://pseudo-corp.github.io/SynergismOfficial/

Sindai fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 19, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sindai posted:

Synergism 2.5 dropped, along with more content it's redesigned quarks and the shop into more of a regular progression mechanism now that kongregate is dead. Now the amount of quarks you get from opening cubes is uncapped but the conversion is logarithmic, most shop upgrades have 100 levels, and there are a ton of newer, more expensive upgrades.

Oh it's also at a new location so you'll have to export and import your save: https://pseudo-corp.github.io/SynergismOfficial/

Thanks for this, gonna start this from the beginning and get stuck in again

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003

Sindai posted:

Anyone else having issues with saving? Exported saves won't load and reloading the page gives an error saying the save can't be used anymore. Happens in both Firefox and Chrome.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Big Mad Drongo posted:

It came out in 2019, basic overview is here.

There was some more I'm not going to unearth, but apparently the inner circle of that dev team was not a great place for women.

On the subject of lovely game devs, one of the lead devs and co-owner of Factorio chudded out on Reddit today.

e: gently caress, I dunno how to no-embed a tweet

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ZZT the Fifth posted:

On the subject of lovely game devs, one of the lead devs and co-owner of Factorio chudded out on Reddit today.

e: gently caress, I dunno how to no-embed a tweet
...you could just use url tags, I guess, but honestly just embed it?

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

...you could just use url tags, I guess, but honestly just embed it?

I tried URL tags and it embedded anyway :( Oh well. There's a content warning in the tweet regardless.

https://twitter.com/cigsender/status/1406046887233437697

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Something, will it be possible to get all of the portraits, e.g. the event ones we've missed such as the naughty vs nice one we didn't select?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I tried URL tags and it embedded anyway :( Oh well. There's a content warning in the tweet regardless.

https://twitter.com/cigsender/status/1406046887233437697

Did Factorio suddenly become an idle game?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

is metaposting an idle game

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Re: Orb of Creation: If anyone was wondering, the Memory Mixture's resource cap bonus appears to be permanent.
Don't be like me and assume you need to stack your libraries to unlock alchemy books, the potion is much much faster

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Aurora posted:

is metaposting an idle game

metaposting is an incremental.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's constantly iterating

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

The reason I brought up KoL is because its gameplay loop is somewhat like NGU and similar idles (you can only do so much per day, advanced players can generate hours worth of turns per day but the average doofus will need less than one) and I wish that style of browser game from the early aughts would be resurrected with all the lessons learned from years of set and forget idles. I think there's potential there.

Instead because this is hellworld the genre has been subsumed by predatory mobile games where you get more turns for just 5,000 FunBux per 100, Best Deal! (pay no attention to the dollar conversion rates)

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
It really says something about Orb of Creation that I've played through what's available three times and found it fun and engaging each time.

The idle component feels too little too late given the resource caps but otherwise the game is engaging and fun. Even though the progression is linear it manages to make your choices and actions feel meaningful.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
orb feels not at all idle. energy draining when not used is a prime example of Active poo poo

the fact that it's short means I've played through a few times as well but as the game develops I'll probably fall all the way off

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea, Orb of Creation is far too active for pretty much all of the available content. I like a lot of the ideas it's going towards but there is essentially zero progress when you're not actively playing. It needs to unlock an autocast with a slowly reducing penalty or something, anything to let you step away and not effectively put the game on pause.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Big Mad Drongo posted:

The reason I brought up KoL is because its gameplay loop is somewhat like NGU and similar idles (you can only do so much per day, advanced players can generate hours worth of turns per day but the average doofus will need less than one) and I wish that style of browser game from the early aughts would be resurrected with all the lessons learned from years of set and forget idles. I think there's potential there.

Instead because this is hellworld the genre has been subsumed by predatory mobile games where you get more turns for just 5,000 FunBux per 100, Best Deal! (pay no attention to the dollar conversion rates)

They also had an interesting monetization scheme- $10 gets you Mr. Accessory, a good item, and once per month there's a new item that you can trade a Mr. A for, usually a Mr. A store-specific pet. I knew several people paying $10/mo plus occasionally more if another item showed up or they wanted custom art or something and this was like 2005.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

The Mr A. thing is fascinating because it's unabashed pay-to-win, but you a) get very little return for spending more than $10 per month and b) everyone's ascension speed varies vastly based on the number of prior ascensions, type of run, whether you're going for speed or farming cash, etc.; there are so many factors that even if you just play without items-of-the-month you don't feel like you're missing out too bad, imo.

Could be worthwhile approach to monetization for idlers. I imagine the hard part is constantly coming up with creative new tools.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Yeah a lot of the Mr A monthly things are basically just a pet that exists but with a different name! And people were buying it so they could level it to max and stick it in their museum to show off that they supported the game. Been a very long time since I logged in but back in the day the playerbase was pretty goddamned loyal.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Big Mad Drongo posted:

The Mr A. thing is fascinating because it's unabashed pay-to-win, but you a) get very little return for spending more than $10 per month and b) everyone's ascension speed varies vastly based on the number of prior ascensions, type of run, whether you're going for speed or farming cash, etc.; there are so many factors that even if you just play without items-of-the-month you don't feel like you're missing out too bad, imo.

Could be worthwhile approach to monetization for idlers. I imagine the hard part is constantly coming up with creative new tools.

There were a few other factors at play too, mostly revolving around the in-game economy. Occasionally they'd come out with an item that was so insanely, obviously busted that having or not having it would make an enormous difference in your ability to post competitive runs or farm meat or do bosses or anything; the tradeable versions of these items naturally came into high demand after they became unavailable to buy. (Specifically I'm thinking of The Smith's Tome, although I'm sure there are other great examples from both before and after I played.)

Anyway this eventually led to a situation where people who had bought into the right items were so impossibly ahead of everyone else that competition was kinda pointless, so they ended up implementing a rotation a la MTG where only the most recent year or two of items would be available for current challenge runs. You can still go back and do whatever challenge paths you want with any items you want just for funsies--this really only impacted the very small contingent of people who cared about leaderboards and so on.

A few of the other browser games that borrowed from KoL's basic gameplay formula did their own spins on this model. One of them--maybe Twilight Heroes?--had a model where the items available would rotate, so if you didn't snag the item the first time around you'd be able to get it later down the line, but they weren't available too often so there was still a secondary market for people who cared about such things.

I don't think I'll never go back to anything KoL adjacent cause of the aforementioned lovely sex abuser stuff, but maybe there's been some new games in the meantime.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

It's definitely a genre I'm a big fan. There's something very fun about getting only a limited number of turns and having to find the best way to optimize them.

It's pretty dead though right? I don't think it was popular even when KoL was.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

as someone who plays gacha games I'm tired of stamina systems

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

GetDunked posted:

There were a few other factors at play too, mostly revolving around the in-game economy. Occasionally they'd come out with an item that was so insanely, obviously busted that having or not having it would make an enormous difference in your ability to post competitive runs or farm meat or do bosses or anything; the tradeable versions of these items naturally came into high demand after they became unavailable to buy. (Specifically I'm thinking of The Smith's Tome, although I'm sure there are other great examples from both before and after I played.)

Anyway this eventually led to a situation where people who had bought into the right items were so impossibly ahead of everyone else that competition was kinda pointless, so they ended up implementing a rotation a la MTG where only the most recent year or two of items would be available for current challenge runs. You can still go back and do whatever challenge paths you want with any items you want just for funsies--this really only impacted the very small contingent of people who cared about leaderboards and so on.

A few of the other browser games that borrowed from KoL's basic gameplay formula did their own spins on this model. One of them--maybe Twilight Heroes?--had a model where the items available would rotate, so if you didn't snag the item the first time around you'd be able to get it later down the line, but they weren't available too often so there was still a secondary market for people who cared about such things.

I don't think I'll never go back to anything KoL adjacent cause of the aforementioned lovely sex abuser stuff, but maybe there's been some new games in the meantime.

I played very early on, like I was there when Ascensions as a mechanic first dropped, and at that time any store familiar that had volleyball + another effect was worth a fortune once they were no longer available. Cheshire Bat was the first I think, and Pygmy Bugbear Shaman.

I never even considered that there might be other KoL-likes out there. I could see checking one out if there are any recommended ones.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cinara posted:

Yea, Orb of Creation is far too active for pretty much all of the available content. I like a lot of the ideas it's going towards but there is essentially zero progress when you're not actively playing. It needs to unlock an autocast with a slowly reducing penalty or something, anything to let you step away and not effectively put the game on pause.

I only sort of agree. It doesn’t seem to be pretending to be an idle, just an incremental. And when you sit down to play it, the progress is pretty obvious when you really start stacking things. You can play to ridiculous numbers already in a day, and the play cycle for it is good at rewarding synergy.

I also really liked the Storm addition. You can do some crazy stacking when you pair all the boosts. Now I just look forward to them adding some goals to achieve to make that next layer of purpose too. It’ll be fun to see what sort of gameplay loop they end up adding.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Nibble posted:

I played very early on, like I was there when Ascensions as a mechanic first dropped, and at that time any store familiar that had volleyball + another effect was worth a fortune once they were no longer available. Cheshire Bat was the first I think, and Pygmy Bugbear Shaman.

I never even considered that there might be other KoL-likes out there. I could see checking one out if there are any recommended ones.

eh it depended

they would always offer 2 special familiars that got refreshed every year, one that was volleyball + meat, and the other that was meat + item

so for those unfamiliar with KOL that would mean volleyball familiars gave you bonus stat gains making you level and progress faster

so cheshire bat was a stats + meat familiar so it got expensive for collectors but was never really ever outdated functionally, it just kept getting a different name

pbs was a different story, since they rarely ever crossed volleyballs + item drop familiars because that combo would seriously speed up runs. so there was always a catch with those, where PBS actively drained your MP to give its effects, forcing you to waste meat on MP

it got expensive but it wasnt really ever that great from a speedrun perspective in the end, especially since they made an active push to rebalance the game so that while item drop rates would net you a lot of consumables or equipment, actual progression items ran on fixed rates or would only drop after burning X turns looking for them

the major source of issue was the spleen familiar, which was a familiar that would drop some sort of turn generating item that would let you use your spleen to get a ton of turn gen. (They also would give some sort if item that would give you access to special areas)

these too kind of got annual replacements but they were never on a real schedule so inflation could hit them hard

for higher level speedrun play anyway most runs wouldn't rely heavilly on mr store familiars, the basic familiars were fairly broken if you know what you were doing (like abusing starfish MP regen to let you constantly punch above weight) and the fact that the volleyball stats kind of sucked in comparison to the fact that you could arbitrarily increase monster level and you would constantly be running it as high as possible and would try to time your final level gain to the last quest before doing the lair

actually for ML the real thing that sucked was that the best ML gear was ultra rare which involved some loving ridiculous drop formula which kept it all very expensive

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jun 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
I've had a lot of fun with orbs of creation the first time it came out and now replaying it and seeing what's changed. Some more upgrades like autocast or something to make it more idle would be appreciated, but I don't mind it that much.

How do I know I've reached the current content ceiling? Upgrades are slowing down and I still have a ton of upgrades left to grind out, but it would seem like busiwork if there's no further unlocks, but with the way they are sometimes gated it's hard to tell. I can condense time and stuff, but raising some resource caps like amber is pretty tough.