Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Use it only as a circulator.

The anova sits at 40 and poo poo thaws nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

https://myflameboss.com/cooks/2018224

doing a 20 pound brisket, haven't done one for a while.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo 20 pounds is a Big One™. I think the largest I've ever gotten my hands on was 15.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I figure someone here might be able to help me with something. I've cold smoked salmon with pellets 5 or 6 times now and the results have varied a lot. Ultimately the main problem I have is that I often end up with a harder "crust" on the salmon, which tastes way too heavily of smoke for it to be good. Letting the salmon rest for a couple of days in the fridge helps a little as it seems that the heavy taste of smoke will slowly diffuse to the rest of the fish and become more palatable, but it's still less than ideal.

Smoking time was usually from roughly 12 hours to 24 hours. Recipe said 12 was minimum, 24 ideal, but 24 hours lead to so much of that "crust" that it was almost inedible. Preparation-wise, I just cover the filets in a mix of 1/3 brown sugar 2/3 kosher salt and leave that in the fridge for a day, then rinse and soak for 15 minutes before drying and smoking. Recipe calls for salt only but I find the result is just too salty, so that sugar is my own thing. Maybe it's part of why that hard layer forms on the fish?

I'll probably try different things once it's cooler outside and I can actually cold smoke again, but if anyone has any insights that could save me some work, that'd be great.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

So I got three racks of ribs in the 14 inch bullet. Very tight fit. What I did to save some space was take a few wood chunks and drape racks over them so they got a little height to them. Seems to be working.

I think what’s going to drive me crazy today is fuel management. A lot of meat in a small smoker is going to go through a lot of charcoal. I’ve got all the vents totally open and I seem to be holding at 233.

Haven’t eaten the shrooms. Maybe later tonight.

The fruits of my labor...

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Leg quarters came out great, smoked some mac and cheese too.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Enos Cabell posted:

Leg quarters came out great, smoked some mac and cheese too.

That looks fantastic. Leg quarters are one of my favorite things to smoke.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I figure someone here might be able to help me with something. I've cold smoked salmon with pellets 5 or 6 times now and the results have varied a lot. Ultimately the main problem I have is that I often end up with a harder "crust" on the salmon, which tastes way too heavily of smoke for it to be good. Letting the salmon rest for a couple of days in the fridge helps a little as it seems that the heavy taste of smoke will slowly diffuse to the rest of the fish and become more palatable, but it's still less than ideal.

Smoking time was usually from roughly 12 hours to 24 hours. Recipe said 12 was minimum, 24 ideal, but 24 hours lead to so much of that "crust" that it was almost inedible. Preparation-wise, I just cover the filets in a mix of 1/3 brown sugar 2/3 kosher salt and leave that in the fridge for a day, then rinse and soak for 15 minutes before drying and smoking. Recipe calls for salt only but I find the result is just too salty, so that sugar is my own thing. Maybe it's part of why that hard layer forms on the fish?

I'll probably try different things once it's cooler outside and I can actually cold smoke again, but if anyone has any insights that could save me some work, that'd be great.

Have you ever simply tried smoking it for 2-4 hours at 190F? What you describe seems hella overkill for smoked salmon. I am at the point that I slice the salmon up into large pieces, cover all surfaces with a mix of brown sugar and salt for overnight moisture reduction, rinse and develop pelicle, and then smoke a couple hours.
Moist, not overly smoked, and tasty as all hell.

12 to 24 hours smoke for fish, to me sounds insane. Unless your goal is fish jerky.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 20, 2021

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
It's cold smoked though. I usually only do that in the spring or fall since otherwise it's either too hot to leave raw fish out, or it's literally freezing. I've hot smoked salmon before, in fact it's the very first thing I tried after getting my smoker, but I don't like it as much.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I wouldn't attempt cold smoking at home, myself. Feels like too large a dice roll.

I will however since we're talking salmon, once again shill this brine:
https://keviniscooking.com/smoked-salmon-brine-recipe/#wprm-recipe-container-27832

It's simply excellent among all brines I've tried it in the past. That page also weirdly way way over-smokes the fish though, to where it's got to be way way too dry. I always cook very low, 200, and cook the fish to 135. 140 at most, if you like it a bit more firm.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Atticus_1354 posted:

That looks fantastic. Leg quarters are one of my favorite things to smoke.

Thanks! Came out way better than expected after living at the bottom of my freezer for over a year.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I want to pull this because at this point I feel like I'm just gonna dry the thing out but 17 hours seems pretty quick for a 20 pound brisket though of course I trimmed lord knows how many pounds of fat off the thing.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

bird with big dick posted:

I want to pull this because at this point I feel like I'm just gonna dry the thing out but 17 hours seems pretty quick for a 20 pound brisket though of course I trimmed lord knows how many pounds of fat off the thing.

I mean, if it's got dat wiggle and a probe goes in like butter... what else do you need?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I’m not smoking anything today, I will probably do some pork shoulderbutt again in the next few weeks because it makes leftovers for weeks and my wife keeps asking for it (she calls it my Signature Dish now) and I plan on smoking some sea salt again because I’m running out by putting it on every goddamn thing. I probably wouldn’t mesquite-smoke salt again, though—I might do apple or cherry instead.

I wish I was smoking though, we just didn’t buy any meat for me to smoke, and though I do most cooking for the past three or so years, my wife agreed to make me her beef bourguignon tonight for Father’s Day and I am going to murder that poo poo, it’s so good. She makes it better than any restaurant I’ve ever ordered it from.

One day I’ll get an offset smoker too. Or maybe a BGE. I’d like to try real charcoal and wood smoking, challenge myself; it feels like an electric smoker is Easy Mode.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I figure someone here might be able to help me with something. I've cold smoked salmon with pellets 5 or 6 times now and the results have varied a lot.

Can you link the recipe? Maybe try light brown sugar or just white sugar and less of it. Maybe its the molasses in dark brown sugar that builds that crust. Not for sure tho. Everytime i make beef jerky with a bunch of brown sugar, it has a shiny coating after being smoked and dried for 4 to 6 hours even if i rinse it off.

Ive done a pretty consistent dry brine on whole salmon fillets when i worked at a country club. It was 50/50 white sugar and salt, lemon, lime, and orange zest, and a bit of vodka. I packed the fillets in that mixture for about 2 days and then hot smoked them for a couple hours. Chilled in the cooler and served on a brunch buffet. Went over pretty well. I never noticed a significant crust when i did this, but i was also hot smoking for a mich shorter time.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Anyone ever made an ugly barrel smoker? I really wanna make one but I have no idea what goddamn barrel will be suitable and the cheapest ones I can find locally are private party sellers that don’t specify what was in the drums before. I know it has to be unlined inside and food-grade, and I know that you can torch a liner out, but naturally I don’t wanna buy a barrel that had some harmful chemical in it.

I have my MES and it’s great but I’m itching to have a charcoal one because it’s hard to feel like you are really smoking meat in what amounts to an oven that can burn wood. Alternatively I could just buy an offset smoker but frankly I wouldn’t know where to start on what would be a combination of good quality and affordable.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I worked in hazmat for a few years working with chemicals so gnarly the DHS popped in once a year to audit our inventory. When one of our chemical containers were empty we only had to fill the container 1/4 of the way 3 times to rinse it, punch holes in the sides, cross out the labels, and write empty on it so it could go into the regular trash.

Just burn it out. It is illegal to get rid of a container that held anything defined as hazardous without destroying it first.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

um excuse me posted:

I worked in hazmat for a few years working with chemicals...

One of my favorite things about SA is how much random crossover there is in people's experiences and interests. Oh, one of the smoking thread regulars also just so happens to have worked hazmat and can advise on types of drums for homemade smokers? :allears:

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

life is killing me posted:

Anyone ever made an ugly barrel smoker? I really wanna make one but I have no idea what goddamn barrel will be suitable and the cheapest ones I can find locally are private party sellers that don’t specify what was in the drums before. I know it has to be unlined inside and food-grade, and I know that you can torch a liner out, but naturally I don’t wanna buy a barrel that had some harmful chemical in it.

I have my MES and it’s great but I’m itching to have a charcoal one because it’s hard to feel like you are really smoking meat in what amounts to an oven that can burn wood. Alternatively I could just buy an offset smoker but frankly I wouldn’t know where to start on what would be a combination of good quality and affordable.

Plastic barrels are a lot cheaper than metal ones. They also won’t rust.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I should also note that ugly drum smoker owners will defend drum smokers with their life since the hardware kits can cost just as much as a commercially built smoker lol. They also sell barrels if you want one that certainly has no prior use.

I'd also recommend a Weber smokey mountain for an actual charcoal smoker that has a good balance of cost and performance. I have the 22 which is monstrous and won't be outgrowing it any time soon.

You're on the right track looking for a vertical smoker though. The horizontal offset smokers only get good when you're paying over a thousand on them for fancy stuff like reverse flow, grease catchers, hybrid multichamber designs, or just ones that are so huge you don't need reverse flow plates.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 22, 2021

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

um excuse me posted:

I worked in hazmat for a few years working with chemicals so gnarly the DHS popped in once a year to audit our inventory. When one of our chemical containers were empty we only had to fill the container 1/4 of the way 3 times to rinse it, punch holes in the sides, cross out the labels, and write empty on it so it could go into the regular trash.

Just burn it out. It is illegal to get rid of a container that held anything defined as hazardous without destroying it first.

I shudder to think of where those chemicals went, and how the EPA won't let us have freon anymore but the bare minimum to dispose of drums that previously held harmful chemicals is still a-ok

Anyway so you're saying even if it held chemicals before, just burn it out?

ETA: I was gonna just buy poo poo from a hardware store and get the grates somewhere else, feels like Popular Mechanics wouldn't do me dirty and it's true that if I was gonna spend a lot of money on a ready-made hardware kit for an UDS I might as well spend a lot of money on one I don't have to spend a few hours making after buying the kit

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Plastic barrels are a lot cheaper than metal ones. They also won’t rust.

:ohdear:

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 22, 2021

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The water/solvent/whatever compatible rinse agent you use is dumped into another hazardous waste drum to be hauled off and be made chemically inert or incinerated. It's easier to dispose of an empty container as hazardous waste itself because it generates less liquid waste, but takes up more room.

If you burn out a drum the paint will burn off and you will have to repaint it so it doesn't rust. I'd personally strip the paint off and recoat a barrel with ceramic paint before I burned it out.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

um excuse me posted:

The water/solvent/whatever compatible rinse agent you use is dumped into another hazardous waste drum to be hauled off and be made chemically inert or incinerated. It's easier to dispose of an empty container as hazardous waste itself because it generates less liquid waste, but takes up more room.

If you burn out a drum the paint will burn off and you will have to repaint it so it doesn't rust. I'd personally strip the paint off and recoat a barrel with ceramic paint before I burned it out.

Eh. That sounds like more work than I feel like doing, honestly. Maybe I'll just buy the biggest basic Weber charcoal grill I can find and do my charcoal smoking on that thing, would be cheap

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
The Smokey mountain is a great starter smoker. Once you get the temp dialed in, which isn’t hard, it can run for hours without needing to touch it

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Eh. That sounds like more work than I feel like doing, honestly. Maybe I'll just buy the biggest basic Weber charcoal grill I can find and do my charcoal smoking on that thing, would be cheap

I have a 18.5 wsm and am looking at getting just a slow n sear kettle or a Weber 26” kettle to use as a smoker and grill. Reason being is the kettle is super easy to clean and a 26” can fit more than enough food for me. Plus the SnS kettle has all the holes drilled for probes/fans etc.

I picked that WSM up off Facebook marketplace for $160 though so it might be worth a look to see if you can find something there.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Ughhh if I could find a Weber 26 I think it would be ideal. My 22 with a the SnS is already easy mode, I just wish it had a bit more space.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

nwin posted:

I have a 18.5 wsm and am looking at getting just a slow n sear kettle or a Weber 26” kettle to use as a smoker and grill. Reason being is the kettle is super easy to clean and a 26” can fit more than enough food for me. Plus the SnS kettle has all the holes drilled for probes/fans etc.

I picked that WSM up off Facebook marketplace for $160 though so it might be worth a look to see if you can find something there.

The SnS kettle looks baller, but drat it’s expensive. I may take another look at a Weber kettle and get the SnS insert. Wonder if I could drill the holes for temp probe myself

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

The SnS kettle looks baller, but drat it’s expensive. I may take another look at a Weber kettle and get the SnS insert. Wonder if I could drill the holes for temp probe myself

I've seen how-to guides on the internet and it looks pretty easy to be honest. And I'm not very handy at all.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

I've seen how-to guides on the internet and it looks pretty easy to be honest. And I'm not very handy at all.

Drilling the holes, you mean? I figure it would easy enough, and I could use my Weber BT probe. But then I’d worry about temp fluctuations or flare ups even with the probe in there so then it’d be a rabbit hole on what material could seal that hole around the probe

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Drilling the holes, you mean? I figure it would easy enough, and I could use my Weber BT probe. But then I’d worry about temp fluctuations or flare ups even with the probe in there so then it’d be a rabbit hole on what material could seal that hole around the probe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da0gHrkINSo

Huh. It was much easier to find the video I watched sometime last year before finding a WSM. And you can simply install a replacement grommet to seal the probe hole. (Weber replacement is linked but there are cheaper knock-offs as well.)

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Step drill bit and a silicone grommet. I drilled two holes in my kettle, one for the probe access hole and one for my Thermoworks Billows.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Dango Bango posted:

One of my favorite things about SA is how much random crossover there is in people's experiences and interests. Oh, one of the smoking thread regulars also just so happens to have worked hazmat and can advise on types of drums for homemade smokers? :allears:

There’s a microbiologist here somewhere too!

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
That was the best argument I've seen on SA in a while.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

um excuse me posted:

That was the best argument I've seen on SA in a while.

I’ve wondered where the thread title came from but way too lazy to go back and read when how far back is unknown

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I hope you enjoy botulinum. Like, at least take it above the boiling point.

Starts there if you need the whole argument.

And the golden post:

Whooping Crabs posted:

I'm a microbiologist, dumbass.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

therobit posted:

I bought a much nicer used offset smoker toward the end of last summer but since I couldn’t have bbqs due to Covid I never really got to use it. Today I will christen it with some pork butt.

I am trying out cutting the butts in half to reduce cook time. We’ll see how it goes.

I've tried that in the past and I've never been happy with the results. It seems like they dry out.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

woke up at 2am to start 2 pork butts. I woke up a couple more times to keep an eye on it and this has convinced me I need to build a heatermeter

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Made pepper stout beef for the first time and holy poo poo this is going in the regular rotation. So so good. Devoured the sandwich before taking a plated picture so I just have the one in the pan.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Gonna smoke some pork shoulder again for July 4th weekend at my wife’s request—anything different I should try beyond a simple rub and dry brine in refrigerator?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Gonna smoke some pork shoulder again for July 4th weekend at my wife’s request—anything different I should try beyond a simple rub and dry brine in refrigerator?

This is worth trying, if you like heat. It is for ribs, but I do the main non-cooking part with shoulder.:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgyaXkH3_pU&t=119s

My advice is to dial WAY back on the salt used, and I substitute very dark maple syrup for the sugar.