Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Laterite posted:

"no yellow" jfc

that’s the least offensive thing about that conversation, loving somehow

edit: I am conditionally removing my qualified interest in considering voting for future presidential hopeful hunter biden “just to see what happens”, this seems pretty gross.

Torpor has issued a correction as of 18:06 on Jun 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Hunter Biden go on Cum Town

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Torpor posted:

that’s the least offensive thing about that conversation, loving somehow

and yet is the only thing the nypost managed to focus on lol

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Raskolnikov38 posted:

and yet is the only thing the nypost managed to focus on lol

I think their editors may have what’s known as a blind spot

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Delta-Wye posted:

i thought china was the one country that knew what to do with landlords :iiam:

Mao has been dead since 76 bro

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
they've forgotten the face of their father

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

quote:

The wives of Chicago twins Pedro and Margarito Flores, who cooperated against Sinaloa cartel kingpin Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman, were arrested Tuesday on money laundering charges alleging they helped hide and spend hundreds of thousands of dollars of their husbands’ drug proceeds over more than a decade.

An indictment unsealed in U.S. District Court charged Vivianna Lopez, 40, also known as Mia Flores; Valerie Gaytan, 45, also known as Olivia Flores; and three others with conspiring to launder illicit drug proceeds in Chicago between 2008 and last year.

According to the indictment, the defendants laundered drug trafficking proceeds generated by the Flores twins, West Side drug traffickers whose decision to cooperate with federal authorities in 2008 led to arguably the biggest drug case ever brought in Chicago, with charges against El Chapo himself as well as many of his top underbosses.

Also charged in the money laundering conspiracy were the twins’ older brother, Armando Flores, 52, of Round Rock, Texas; Laura Lopez, 58, of Chicago; and Bianca Finnigan, 32, of Sycamore, Illinois, who is the sister of Vivianna Lopez.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news...zdhm-story.html

So the wives of two twins that snitched on El Chapo are being charged with money laundering now. The Feds are quoted in other pieces that they really tried to protect the women, who were working the whole time behind their backs to hid money. Suuuure. There's a whole bunch of places to go with this news in relation to the deep state, but I'm going to focus on a really local angle.

Apparently the family of two of El Chapos biggest hookups in the US were filled with Chicago cops.

quote:

Sources said Finnigan is the sister-in-law of corrupt former Chicago cop Jerome Finnigan, who was sentenced to prison in 2011 for leading a rogue group of cops in the department’s elite Special Operations Section.

Court information for Armando Flores was not immediately available.

The Flores twins’ wives are both the daughters of Chicago police officers and grew up in the city. Valerie Gaytan, Margarito Flores’ wife, was previously married to Latin Kings gang leader Rudy “Kato” Rangel, who was murdered at a West Side barbershop nearly two decades ago.

The wives being the daughters of cops is uhhhh, interesting. The marriage to a Latin Kings leader isn't that shocking, considering the Flores were apparently connected to the gang.

Just how corrupt was Jerome Finnigan? He was basically a character from the Shield, running a shakedown crew that profited personally from raiding drug suppleirs.

quote:

"I did become a corrupt police officer," Finnigan said. "Those were not my intentions."

Finnigan, 48, was sentenced to 12 years in prison for being part of a rogue group of cops in the department's elite Special Operations Section who carried out robberies, home invasions and other crimes across the city.

Finnigan became especially notorious because he ordered a hit on a fellow officer who he believed was cooperating with investigators looking into the corruption.

Prosecutors, who spent five years investigating the SOS scandal, acknowledged that Finnigan was at one point an outstanding officer. But he became a "cautionary tale" for all police officers, who are among the most powerful public officials, said assistant U.S. Attorney Brian Netols.
When the SOS allegations surfaced five years ago, Finnigan was considered the ringleader of a group of officers who between 2002 and 2006 targeted people -- most of them drug dealers -- for robberies to seize drugs and money. The officers pocketed the cash.

The SOS was disbanded in 2007 amid what became an unusually long investigation by the Cook County state's attorney's office and the U.S. attorney's office.

Both state and federal investigators tried to find out from Finnigan and others whether any supervisors knew about the criminal behavior. But the probe failed to go any higher.

Finnigan and three others were hit with federal charges in April. Seven others had already pleaded guilty to state charges. Finnigan pleaded guilty to both the murder-for-hire plot and tax-related charges stemming from the money he pocketed.

Thursday after the sentencing, Netols acknowledged the case was "effectively complete," saying only that investigators had conducted a thorough investigation.

But in his remarks to the judge, Finnigan fired a last shot of sorts at his former employer.

"My bosses knew what I was doing out there," he said, "and it went on and on. And this wasn't the exception to the rule. This was the rule."

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news...0907-story.html

So during the mid 2000s one of the biggest drug importers into Chicago was the brother in-law of a Chicago cop who was part of an elite unit that ripped off drug dealers.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
As a lifelong resident of the Chicago area this doesn't surprise me in the least.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

that america's cops are america's largest gang remains a truism

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news...zdhm-story.html

So the wives of two twins that snitched on El Chapo are being charged with money laundering now. The Feds are quoted in other pieces that they really tried to protect the women, who were working the whole time behind their backs to hid money. Suuuure. There's a whole bunch of places to go with this news in relation to the deep state, but I'm going to focus on a really local angle.

Apparently the family of two of El Chapos biggest hookups in the US were filled with Chicago cops.

The wives being the daughters of cops is uhhhh, interesting. The marriage to a Latin Kings leader isn't that shocking, considering the Flores were apparently connected to the gang.

Just how corrupt was Jerome Finnigan? He was basically a character from the Shield, running a shakedown crew that profited personally from raiding drug suppleirs.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news...0907-story.html

So during the mid 2000s one of the biggest drug importers into Chicago was the brother in-law of a Chicago cop who was part of an elite unit that ripped off drug dealers.

*crack*

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

I mean the shield was based on real life cop gangs in LA that did all that so it's not surprising it's SOP in departments everywhere

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/LLinecook/status/1406340363430862848?s=19

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
BOY I'd love to see a behind-the-scenes director's commentary track of my life when I die. I want to know all the decisions and discussion that went into the staging of this photograph, to the final decision to use it.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Bip Roberts posted:

I mean the shield was based on real life cop gangs in LA that did all that so it's not surprising it's SOP in departments everywhere

years ago there was some gbs superstar that was a PA on the shield. he made me swear to watch it saying it wasnt just some police procedural. maybe its time i keep my word...

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

The Saucer Hovers posted:

years ago there was some gbs superstar that was a PA on the shield. he made me swear to watch it saying it wasnt just some police procedural. maybe its time i keep my word...

its several seasons of corrupt cops robbing and murdering people

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

its several seasons of corrupt cops robbing and murdering people

my time is worthless why have you got to cool my jets

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
A good thing about The Shield is at no point was the takeaway "these men need to break the laws to uphold order". They're thugs through and through. They might be sometimes cool but it's clear the bad cops are bad and the "good" cops are pathetic.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

The Saucer Hovers posted:

It's got some story arcs throughout the run that elevate the show but any given episode is going to be 45 minutes of a mediocre police procedural.

lurker2006 has issued a correction as of 22:30 on Jun 19, 2021

nut
Jul 30, 2019

yes

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

So did anyone order a shelf to rescue the kids they came with

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I was shopping on Wayfair and everything is named like that it seems. feel like I’m on furniture alibaba sometimes.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

sonatinas posted:

I was shopping on Wayfair and everything is named like that it seems. feel like I’m on furniture alibaba sometimes.

because its furniture alibaba

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

lurker2006 posted:

It's got some story arcs throughout the run that elevate the show but any given episode is going to be 45 minutes of a mediocre police procedural.

good ending tho

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

lmao just lmao if the Chinese "propaganda" of COVID19 being made by the us army turns out to be technically accurate in the end

nut
Jul 30, 2019

covid origin stuff is a nightmare, there are tons of new hypothesized origins with cases reported earlier than the public ones in wuhan. In addition to gardenko's post above and Chinese origins (just check any news site), stuff like:

spain:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/26/health/coronavirus-spain.html

italy:
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.06.25.20140061v1

theory that those vaping deaths in the states where people's lungs looked like glass were covid, largely based on similar symptoms and that as EVALI stopped being investigated, COVID began:
https://www.medpagetoday.com/pulmonology/smoking/90294
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2211335520302126 (that vaping and covid at least at a statewide level coincide, though this could obviously just be vaping being damaging or increasing susceptibility to covid)

Personally, I think there are likely some methodological issues trying to apply contemporaneous diagnostics retroactively and that we'll never get a satisfying answer. Regarding lab vs. natural origin, I still don't think a lot of attention goes to the last couple decades of virology research warning of coronavirus animal-human transmission like https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4797993/. Instead, we get political warfare.

But also this is the epstein thread so of course it was jeffrey epsteins dead man switch.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

meh the vaping thing was nearly entirely tied to people using counterfeit cartridges

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

china lab drake no
us lab drake yes

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

meh the vaping thing was nearly entirely tied to people using counterfeit cartridges

and from where were these counterfeit cartridges sourced? :tinfoil:

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Laterite posted:

bootleg producers in the US that diluted their extracts with vitamin e oil

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Laterite posted:

Libby, MT

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/postXamerica/status/1406429853537247235

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Though this is the overwhelming popular conclusion, I personally don't think criticisms to this conclusion have been explored much at all. EVALI, by literal definition, is tied to vaping from the first step. Accordingly, most research almost exclusively looks at young men who vape, sometimes only those that vape THC. For example,

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/article-abstract/2772562

Koslow and Petrache posted:

As in previous cohorts, patients were young, had a history of vaping THC-containing products, and presented with a flu-like illness, including shortness of breath.

Furthermore, EVALI itself is only diagnosed by elimination. Since its symptoms are similar to a lot of other respiratory diseases, most notably pneumonia (https://web.archive.org/web/2019112...tients-lie.html) and now COVID, early on revealing to your doctor that you vape would put you into this medical framework where vaping became the focus of the diagnosis. The only kind of challenge to homogeneity in EVALI that I can think of is that sometimes it is totally treatable by antibiotics, other times not (though that could be due to pathogen complications). I'm trying pretty hard to find studies on "EVALI-like symptoms without vaping" but haven't found much yet (so my huge criticism here could just be wiped by my bad research skills). Without comparing populations like this, I worry that we've already decided what the full cause is going to be a priori.

One thing that makes me kinda grossed out is reported in that CNBC article above, where EVALI cases reported without THC vaping, inconsistent with the narrative of EVALI, are assumed to be lying (even though it's a minority of subjects in the study)

Angelica LaVito posted:

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has released data on what patients were vaping for 867 of the EVALI cases through Oct. 15. Of those cases, about 86% reported using THC, the psychoactive compound in marijuana. Many said they used both THC and nicotine. Yet 11% said they exclusively used nicotine. Some doctors think it’s possible the 11% who say they only used nicotine may be lying.

Where inconsistent human diagnosis is blamed on lying patients, a review looking at multiple routes of vitamin e acetate ingestion (including aerosol) that found little evidence of lung injury is deemed low-level evidence and the main finding of the paper is, amazingly, presented as essentially wrong by the authors. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33432848/

Xantus et al. posted:

The present review found evidence of neither harm nor any significant clinical improvement associated with the administration of VEA [Vitamin E Acetate] or any derivatives via any route in adult inflammatory lung conditions however, the articles were of low-level evidence. Further studies are needed to correct [??????????]flaws in research to explore the role of Vitamin E in pulmonology.

Don't get me wrong, I am not speaking out against the whole body of work that has found relationships between vaping and lung injury. There is a lot of work showing effects of VEA in animals or in other diagnostic studies. But all of these studies are, by design, set up such that any effect reported will be attributed to VEA vaping. I just wanna know if anyone is looking outside of this presumed connection the studies are built on.

Because this is the Epstein thread, here is why I also think it's dangerous to accept the uncontested presumption of EVALI. Full disclosure, I never have and never will vape, so this isn't personal. Imo, this is why "we" are happy with the conclusion and don't need to challenge it.

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/basic_information/e-cigarettes/severe-lung-disease.html

CDC posted:

National and state data from patient reports and product sample testing show tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)-containing e-cigarette, or vaping, products, particularly from informal sources [make sure you buy the big brands you know and love!] like friends, family, or in-person or online dealers, are linked to most EVALI cases and play a major role in the outbreak.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/add.15437

"Hall et al., posted:

We agree with our commentators that the EVALI outbreak in the United States demonstrates the need for the better characterization and more effective regulation of all vaping products...
...We strongly agree with Pacula [2] and St Helen [4] that the EVALI outbreak demonstrates the need for the tighter regulation of all vaping products, i.e. those that contain nicotine and cannabis. While the products implicated in the outbreak were illicit, better regulation of the licit cannabis and nicotine markets would have provided greater confidence at an earlier stage that these products were unlikely to be the cause....

None of this is scientific malpractice or anything. Science does not magically test all alternatives and all studies are constructed with limited interpretations of findings. But by not asking if these symptoms are influenced by non-vaping factors, we let science slowly and surely legitimize a conclusion that was fed into it that, miraculously, leads to narcotics enforcement helping solidify corporate monopoly on recreational drugs.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

gently caress, where did my morning go

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

nut posted:

gently caress, where did my morning go

checking phasmid traps

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i loving love science the epstein thread

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

epstein used his intelligence connections to get the coronavirus, which he funded the development of in a joint project between harvard and the wuhan institue of virology, injected into the black market vape pods the CIA is running

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

"got that PANdemic!"