Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Platystemon posted:

He flouted the hell out of local public health orders to reopen his factory and faced no consequences because he’s a billionaire.

There's no justice but street justice, and the utter failure of Nancy O'Malley, Alameda County's District Attorney to press charges for that behavior is proof that when a person has enough money the only way to hold them accountable is through vigilante action.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

Ugh.

My SO, who's had Covid once because he was stupid and kept going out (with a mask but still) , now has his own conspiracy theory about it all.

Since some news claimed that the virus has been in the US before we realized it, he's now 100% convinced that the US created this virus and gave it to Wuhan THEN lied about it and blamed China. You'd think that's not being racist but you'd be wrong because he said, repeatedly, that it's "Not the China Virus, but it's something else. China Virus is much different." so...yeah.

He claims his doctor said he's had it TWICE too.

With the Delta variant rolling about, he'll probably catch that (despite being vaccinated) because he went to multiple stores without a mask yesterday.

I love him but he's frustrating as gently caress a lot of the time.

EDIT: He claims that the virus was obviously here in October 2019 because it takes 2 weeks exactly to get the virus active and because of that, people had it show up in November 2019 so it's made in the US. "Simple" he claims. He also claims it came from pigs, not bats. Because the US has less pigs and it most likely started in Iowa because he got sick around November 2019.

While I was burying people, my SO went to IHOP for his birthday last year without a mask at all. They are thick as gently caress.

Also I don't think that's accurate but that would totally be an American thing to do. Without the stupid china virus poo poo.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Elon musk being a giant world class scumbag piece of human poo poo is not exactly news

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
In the US new covid cases have been falling for a while but I wonder if we will soon hit a point where it level off since the rate of new vaccinations is also falling rapidly. Like I could see in the near future where we will be at something like 10K new cases a day and it stays that way for a very long time.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Feeling confident enough to start taking the bus again. They're usually not very full which has been nice.

Also my neck thing is most likely a plugged lymph node or some kind of cyst. I'm getting an ultrasound on it. I can definitely feel a sizeable and kind of hard lump inside now, which a swollen artery would not do so yay for that. The tissue around is still swollen and weirdly soft, which is kind of annoying, and it still hurts a lot but otherwise, no real worries.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
In fine tradition of me taking the bus which started 3 years ago where the first time I got on a bus after the school holidays I caught the flu, the first time I got on the bus in about 6 months because of covid the fumes made me pass out and I tore a neck muscle while leaning on my daughter.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Charliegrs posted:

In the US new covid cases have been falling for a while but I wonder if we will soon hit a point where it level off since the rate of new vaccinations is also falling rapidly. Like I could see in the near future where we will be at something like 10K new cases a day and it stays that way for a very long time.

delta is here and there's lots of social media posting about vaccinated people getting it, so give it a couple of months.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

delta is here and there's lots of social media posting about vaccinated people getting it, so give it a couple of months.

UK data shows 2% of people who have been in for hospital treatment are fully vaccinated and they are getting ready to release data which breaks the hospital statistics down by age and if they immunocompromised or not. Plus the length of time the vaccinated are staying in hospital will also be released - the data already shows that the number on ventilators is no where near the same level as it was during the first and second waves.

The doctors not paid to give opinions on the TV or in the newspapers are all saying this is all best case in their modelling, and we got lucky THIS TIME, it’s super important to keep the roll out going, and btw you won’t have any holidays abroad next year either.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

learnincurve posted:

UK data shows 2% of people who have been in for hospital treatment are fully vaccinated and they are getting ready to release data which breaks the hospital statistics down by age and if they immunocompromised or not. Plus the length of time the vaccinated are staying in hospital will also be released - the data already shows that the number on ventilators is no where near the same level as it was during the first and second waves.

The doctors not paid to give opinions on the TV or in the newspapers are all saying this is all best case in their modelling, and we got lucky THIS TIME, it’s super important to keep the roll out going, and btw you won’t have any holidays abroad next year either.

hey hopefully it's like that too and it's morons going "but my friends were vaccinated!" and they actually aren't/are lying/only have 1 shot, but being optimistic about this poo poo has only shot us in the foot over and over again.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

While I was burying people, my SO went to IHOP for his birthday last year without a mask at all. They are thick as gently caress.

Also I don't think that's accurate but that would totally be an American thing to do. Without the stupid china virus poo poo.

Totally, that's literally what they did for the Spanish Flu. It started in Kansas.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Ugh.

My SO, who's had Covid once because he was stupid and kept going out (with a mask but still) , now has his own conspiracy theory about it all.

Since some news claimed that the virus has been in the US before we realized it, he's now 100% convinced that the US created this virus and gave it to Wuhan THEN lied about it and blamed China. You'd think that's not being racist but you'd be wrong because he said, repeatedly, that it's "Not the China Virus, but it's something else. China Virus is much different." so...yeah.

He claims his doctor said he's had it TWICE too.

With the Delta variant rolling about, he'll probably catch that (despite being vaccinated) because he went to multiple stores without a mask yesterday.

I love him but he's frustrating as gently caress a lot of the time.

EDIT: He claims that the virus was obviously here in October 2019 because it takes 2 weeks exactly to get the virus active and because of that, people had it show up in November 2019 so it's made in the US. "Simple" he claims. He also claims it came from pigs, not bats. Because the US has less pigs and it most likely started in Iowa because he got sick around November 2019.

A lot of folks had Influenza B (me included) in late 2019 or early 2020 and later attributed the symptoms to covid since they're similar. They're wrong but that won't stop people from making assumptions. I even had a regular flu shot in 2019 but was sick for almost a week in January 2020. I had been setting up a laptop for a guy who was sick and just hovered next to me for an hour.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

learnincurve posted:

UK data shows 2% of people who have been in for hospital treatment are fully vaccinated and they are getting ready to release data which breaks the hospital statistics down by age and if they immunocompromised or not.

Where's this number from? Is it that same set of data that said that 33% of hospitalized cases were people who'd had one vaccine dose?

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Charliegrs posted:

At least according to https://timetoherd.com/, US vaccinations have been picking up over the last week or so. Up from ~.35% of the population getting a shot daily to .42%, which is a 20% bump! Disclaimer: I haven't checked the data collection methods or accuracy of timetoherd.com.

Picnic Princess posted:

Also my neck thing is most likely a plugged lymph node or some kind of cyst. I'm getting an ultrasound on it. I can definitely feel a sizeable and kind of hard lump inside now, which a swollen artery would not do so yay for that. The tissue around is still swollen and weirdly soft, which is kind of annoying, and it still hurts a lot but otherwise, no real worries.

Is this the potential aneurysm you mentioned? If so, that's awesome news, and I'm super happy for you! If not, it's still good news, and I'm still very happy for you.

Castaign fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 20, 2021

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Castaign posted:

Is this the potential aneurysm you mentioned? If so, that's awesome news, and I'm super happy for you! If not, it's still good news, and I'm still very happy for you.

Yes! If my immune system freaked out after my second shot and made the lymph node swell up too much, it wouldn't surprise me. I get a billion little health quirks like that all the time. But it just feels inevitable that something really bad will happen someday, and each new thing becomes more and more panic-worthy as I march through the years and get old.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Picnic Princess posted:

Yes! If my immune system freaked out after my second shot and made the lymph node swell up too much, it wouldn't surprise me. I get a billion little health quirks like that all the time. But it just feels inevitable that something really bad will happen someday, and each new thing becomes more and more panic-worthy as I march through the years and get old.

i feel a little bad; if i'd seen your post earlier, i probably could've saved you a lot of worry. i got the lymph node swelling too, then i found a journal article about it and realized what it was. it goes away in a week or two

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Nice to read good news itt!! ^

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Picnic Princess posted:

That’s just your gills forming since your DNA is slowly mutating from the shot. They’ll be fully formed in a week or two, and you’ll be able to breathe underwater!

:sever:

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Picnic Princess posted:

Really glad to hear it!

nishi koichi posted:

i feel a little bad; if i'd seen your post earlier, i probably could've saved you a lot of worry. i got the lymph node swelling too, then i found a journal article about it and realized what it was. it goes away in a week or two

My wife had the same thing; super swollen lymph nodes in the arm pit on the side of her second Pfizer injection. Lasted for over a week. Side effects are weird.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

freebooter posted:

Which was not in itself an imprudent decision, given how much nationalist vaccine hoarding turned out to happen after all, and given that we're going to see more variants and more novel viruses in the future.

I still get quite irritated when I see people suggesting (both in Australia and overseas) that our slow vaccine rollout is a "disaster" or a "catastrophe." No, a disaster or a catastrophe getting hundreds of thousands of people loving killed like Europe and the US did; a faster vaccine rollout would be nice, but when the dust has settled, no sane person is going to say that the UK or US did their overall pandemic response better than Australia.

Another few weasel words people in the business community here like to crack out is saying that the rest of the world is further ahead in vaccination and that if we don't abandon elimination as a policy goal, Australia will be "left behind." Left behind what?

edit - speaking of. "‘No rush’ to reopen international borders: Trade Minister"

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/no-rush-to-reopen-international-borders-trade-minister-20210619-p582f3.html

The reason they're saying there's no rush to open a travel bubble with Singapore is that Singapore will only allow it once 50% of both countries have been vaccinated. Singapore is mostly there but we're miles off and the government doesn't want to draw attention to the fact that their lovely rollout is keeping us from traveling.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Picnic Princess posted:

Feeling confident enough to start taking the bus again. They're usually not very full which has been nice.

I'm very glad to hear that. Was worried about you.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

hey hopefully it's like that too and it's morons going "but my friends were vaccinated!" and they actually aren't/are lying/only have 1 shot, but being optimistic about this poo poo has only shot us in the foot over and over again.

Don't forget a lot of people saying "I got covid even though I'm vaccinated!" are the exact same kind of people (and often the exact same *actual* people) who are all claiming they had covid in November/December 2019, because they got a bit of a head cold and over-dramatised.

I mean if you want countering anecdata, my nephew managed to catch it* (detected by the lateral flow tests he has to do for school, confirmed by PCR test) but thankfully just had a bit of a cough and mild fever, but his parents - mother both doses AZ, father first dose Pfizer - were both absolutely fine despite being isolated with him for two weeks.

Also from that anecdata Delta is definitely causing a lot more symptomatic cases among the younger generations - last winter when the lateral-flow tests started, it was almost unheard of among said nephew's schoolmates to have symptoms if they popped a positive lateral-flow test, now a positive test is almost universally accompanied with at least a headache and a fever, oddly almost never a cough. The tests haven't got any better, so it definitely seems like there's more symptoms - but *as it doesn't seem to have caused an increase in serious illness in the young* - might actually be good news, because hopefully they'll take it more seriously.

* As if being a teenager isn't complicated enough, he had to admit that the "walk" he went on the day before his positive test was actually him and his mates going on the pull - and apparently succeeding - at the local park.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

The reason they're saying there's no rush to open a travel bubble with Singapore is that Singapore will only allow it once 50% of both countries have been vaccinated. Singapore is mostly there but we're miles off and the government doesn't want to draw attention to the fact that their lovely rollout is keeping us from traveling.

It's because Singapore still has community transmission/outbreak clusters. So do we, obviously, but they're no better or worse than ours, and if we can't even get our own states to agree on a travel bubble with each other how are we going to do it with other countries?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Honest businessman tries to help the community, manufactures millions of cheap cloth mask but suddenly falls prey the machinations of global Big Mask corporations. Many such cases!!

https://twitter.com/SollenbergerRC/status/1406270565799927814

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Market them as prop masks for burning at protests, weddings, bar mitzvahs.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Honest businessman tries to help the community, manufactures millions of cheap cloth mask but suddenly falls prey the machinations of global Big Mask corporations. Many such cases!!

He can’t sell them/donate them to countries that use and need masks?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Helith posted:

I’m not sure you understand the kind of person that Mike Lindell is.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Helith posted:

He doesn't give a gently caress about other countries, so no.

Also they're lovely cloth masks that are nowhere near as good as N95s which are super cheap and pretty easy to acquire. His original plan was to donate his masks to hospitals and frontline workers but they didn't want them because they sucked.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Ah, how naive of me to assume he made a quality product.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Helith posted:

Ah, how naive of me to assume he made a quality product.

They were made out of cheap cotton "due to the availability of the material", I can't find confirmation anywhere but I'm pretty certain he just used the same material he was already using for his pillows

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I enjoy the misfortune of the bad pillow man

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Platystemon posted:

I’m not sure you understand the kind of person that Mike Lindell is.

Yeah, and “honest” is not how one describes Mike Pillowman.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

You Are A Elf posted:

Yeah, and “honest” is not how one describes Mike Pillowman.

How dare you besmirch his good name and throw doubt upon his genuine and honest attempts to alleviate people's suffering during this terrible pandemic! Next you'll be questioning his recommendation of the miracle drug Oleandrin as covid therapeutic, and his repeated attempts at convincing President Trump to promote it and push the FDA into approving it. Sure, it might have been "toxic" and "unapproved" and other meaningless buzzwords that so called "scientists" like the throw around and it might be completely unproven in having positive effects on covid in any so called "peer reviewed" studies and Mike might have had a large financial stake in a company that produced it but those are all complete and total coincidences.

E: oh poo poo I forgot that he also said that the covid vaccines were "'mark of the beast' stuff" LOL LOL

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 20, 2021

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Maybe the masks are lumpy and uncomfortable like the mypillow. Seriously, those pillows are are so bad.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rexxed posted:

A lot of folks had Influenza B (me included) in late 2019 or early 2020 and later attributed the symptoms to covid since they're similar. They're wrong but that won't stop people from making assumptions. I even had a regular flu shot in 2019 but was sick for almost a week in January 2020. I had been setting up a laptop for a guy who was sick and just hovered next to me for an hour.

There’s going to be a lot of people this year getting a cold or the flu and attributing it to a new super covid variant that can’t be detected

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I have a bad cold now and it's the first time I've been sick all pandemic and I forgot how much it loving sucks to spend a week hacking up phlegm

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

freebooter posted:

I have a bad cold now and it's the first time I've been sick all pandemic and I forgot how much it loving sucks to spend a week hacking up phlegm

If you had been wearing your mask......

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

OgNar posted:

If you had been wearing your mask......

That's the funny thing - everybody has been talking about how they want all these measures to continue because of how nice it is to not cop the usual array of winter diseases, but I caught this while Melbourne was still in semi-lockdown from a quarantine leak. Masks mandatory even outdoors, I'm working from home, hand sanitising everywhere I go - I almost certainly caught this from going to a half-empty bar one evening with three friends.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

We are doing something right

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

MarcusSA posted:

We are doing something right

Sunday is always a dip because nobody gets tested on the Lord's Day. Is BNO new to the pandemic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I tried to dig the news sources out of this tweet thread and link those but my googling failed me.

https://twitter.com/drericding/status/1406779894785351688?s=21

The thread includes clips from news reports about a delta variant outbreak in New South Wales, Australia. There was confirmed transmission (genetic match of virus 100% the same) from 10-60 cm (4”-2’) distance with only a few seconds of contact. They have (but do not show in the news clips) CCTV footage of the people encountering.

There’s a financial times article too stating that 2 shot immunity to delta is only 81% and that delta is at 31% of US cases and rising. https://www.ft.com/content/d4abbe5e-8650-4a76-9fea-2d3efa2ed52b

now what’s this about a ligma variant?

edit: meanwhile my friends, neighbors, and coworkers think the pandemic is over