Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Fertiliser for the gardens back at the sietch, likely.

Don't they mention it can be used for several things, including as a burning material?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
They grind it up, apply precious moisture, and use it as grout for sealing the sietch and making stinky mosaics.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Waterfat browncake of an offworlder, a shameful poo

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

They grind it up, apply precious moisture, and use it as grout for sealing the sietch and making stinky mosaics.

Offensive to the eye and nose!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Villeneuve refusing to depict the navigators is a pretty clear indication that his Dune is gonna be Dune the Action Flick

Alternatively, Dune the Accurate To The Book. Two Guild navigators appear in Dune, they both look entirely human.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Here, have some Dune Memes. Dumes? Menes?

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

She's a tragic character but it owns that Alia does this twice.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Villeneuve refusing to depict the navigators is a pretty clear indication that his Dune is gonna be Dune the Action Flick

i'd rather believe the navigators are TURBO hosed UP and his depiction will cause psychic damage so it's all under wraps for now

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
It's always scarier when you don't see the monster

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

exmachina posted:

It's always scarier when you don't see the monster

When the navigators aren't on screen being hosed up everyone should always be asking how hosed up are the navigators

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ror posted:

Hebrew Leto II isn't real, it can't hurt y- oh gently caress, nvm, he's right over there

Stupid sexy legs Leto

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

General Battuta posted:

I can't handle the terrible desert soundstage work. At least do a location shoot and then put your CGI in around it, please, somehow!

Yeah, I just started episode 2, where Paul and Jess just crashed in the desert, and that bluescreening is pretty bad.

WarMECH posted:

SciFi Dune works best if you think of it as a play acted out on a stage. Also the Baron is the best thing about the series.

My husband had a similar comment. He's no big Dune fan, but living with me for the past 18 years means he's absorbed a lot by osmosis. I was grousing about the stiff, wooden acting, just before the Baron went on one of his delightful scene-chewing soliloquies. Mr Dempsey said "this really comes across like a Shakespeare play, the way the Baron gives the exposition looking at the camera, and everyone's acting like... they're acting."

I'll see if watching episode 2 in that light improves it.

edit: lol a woman has vomited 5 minutes into the episode! Could she be prengant?!

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 20, 2021

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

sebmojo posted:

When the navigators aren't on screen being hosed up everyone should always be asking how hosed up are the navigators

Chekov's navigator.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Creepypasta: Sandworms and the Spice are a product of an alternate reality Dagon, and the Navigators are just getting transformed into Deep Ones.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

sebmojo posted:

The Navigators need to be louder, angrier, and have access to a Holtzmann Drive.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Just rewatched the SciFi adaptation, trying to think about why that and the Lynch version both end up underwhelming. Of course it's a lot of things, but one glaring failure they both have in common: NO DESERT SPECTACLE.

Film/TV is visual! You should be taking every single opportunity to hit us with the vastness and desolation of a planet with no rain. Every angle, every time of day, even if it's just second unit stuff that doesn't directly connect to scenes with actors. Obviously budgets have a lot to do with this, but outside of the "mandatory" desert scenes neither version really dwells on the environment so important that it's the name of the whole drat thing.

Some of the truly successful adaptations I can think of, like Jurassic Park or Lord of the Rings, get this totally right. The settings loom large. Lush establishing shots. Enough on-location work that the stuff that had to be sound stage or green-screen blends in because you know what's supposed to be out there, beyond the walls or the windows or the windshield. You feel like the characters are there. You are there.

Hopefully Villeneuve can pull at least that off and give us the setting of our dreams.

Cause for hope on that front:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTedsOULqX0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb0X4kIFS0Q

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Also this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMWFbd9zsK4

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Just splice all the interminable wilderness shots from Laurence of Arabia into the movie

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Just splice all the interminable wilderness shots from Laurence of Arabia into the movie

Right. Herbert started writing Dune in '62 when Lawrence of Arabia came out. That was the definition of epic. Lynch kind of got it. SciFi got curtains with scenery projected on them.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Is any of Frank's other works worth reading? I think people here have said before that most of his previous works were just building up to Dune.
Like, you see parts of Dune in each of his other works.

I've never stumbled across any of Frank's works other than Dune out in the wild. You just dont find vintage sci-fi out and about like ya used to.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Johnny Aztec posted:

Is any of Frank's other works worth reading? I think people here have said before that most of his previous works were just building up to Dune.

I've never stumbled across any of Frank's works other than Dune out in the wild. You just dont find vintage sci-fi out and about like ya used to.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Johnny Aztec posted:

I've read a lot of his other books, they are mostly good although obviously far less iconic than Dune. I get a lot of my books from thrift stores and library sales, but you can often find good used books on e.g. Amazon for basically the price of shipping.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Some fascinating kerning on the word "computer" there

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!

Johnny Aztec posted:

I think I once found a PDF copy of Hellstrom’s Hive once and rather enjoyed it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Automatic Slim posted:

Right. Herbert started writing Dune in '62 when Lawrence of Arabia came out. That was the definition of epic. Lynch kind of got it. SciFi got curtains with scenery projected on them.

I have heard Paul's story in the og described basically as a mashup of Lawrence of Arabia and the Prophet Muhammed.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Odoyle posted:

I think I once found a PDF copy of Hellstrom’s Hive once and rather enjoyed it.
They do exist.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Johnny Aztec posted:

The Dosadi Experiment is fantastic. (Its prequel, Whipping Star, is considerably weaker, mainly due to the ridiculous premise alluded to by its title.)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zopotantor posted:

The Dosadi Experiment is fantastic. (Its prequel, Whipping Star, is considerably weaker, mainly due to the ridiculous premise alluded to by its title.)

To be clear there is absolutely nothing metaphorical about the title. A literal star gets whipped, with a whip.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of Frank Herbert

Johnny Aztec posted:

DESTINATION VOID sucks but its semi-sequel THE JESUS INCIDENT is kinda hosed up in a cool way. Also it heavily inspired Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. Humanity lives on and worships this giant living starship called Ship, and one day Ship pulls up at Pandora (the worst planet in the universe) and says 'you must learn how to WorShip or I will kill you all' which presumably involves colonizing this planet, where the native species do things like crawl up your nerves to lay eggs in your brain.

It is very much mirror Dune — oceans instead of deserts, food at a premium instead of water, AI achieving the godhead instead of humanity, weird sex stuff thats repulsive instead of weird sex stuff that makes you addicted, loads of clones instead of...loads of gholas? But unlike Dune there's no romance to it, it's just disturbing and scary.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jun 20, 2021

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

sebmojo posted:

To be clear there is absolutely nothing metaphorical about the title. A literal star gets whipped, with a whip.

But not by a hot green skinned babe as this cover implies. I’m not saying it would be wrong to want to read that, just that you’re not getting it here.

sigh

Posthuman
Jan 10, 2005

I give all those dicks and cocks sir

Johnny Aztec posted:

I recently finished reading "The Jesus Incident". It's decent. It has a LOT of parallels with Dune; humans struggling to survive on a hellworld.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

sebmojo posted:

don't kink shame

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

KonMari DeathMetal
Dec 20, 2009
Halfway through Children, was at the book store and bought the rest of the series. Wife asked why I wasn't getting the box set they and had to explain that wasn't a box set, is was Brian's garbage and how we aren't supposed to acknowledge him.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Hellstrom's Hive loving ruled, I couldn't put it down and finished it in like two days. It was definitely full of Frank Herbert Themes but the setting and plot were very different so it was fun seeing the ecology stuff through a very different lens.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Hellstroms Hive is good. The destination void trilogy is good.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I don't know if it was burnout or what, but I had a lot of trouble keeping interested in the Destination: Void books. Not to say they're objectively bad - I had the same problem with Crime and Punishment even though I was excited to read it, I had already had great experiences with some of the rest of Dostoevsky's novels, but I really struggled to finish that one. Some things just click with you and others don't.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

sebmojo posted:

This is perfect for me as I had to put down "A Fire Upon the Deep" when it quickly became apparent it wasn't about a fire in a hole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Johnny Aztec posted:

Destination: Void and sequels are very good
Hellstrom's Hive is creepy as hell.
Whipping Star/Dosadi are a setting I'd have loved see see another half-dozen volumes in.