Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Okay basically there was a movement/religion/cult in the Harry Potter fandom that believed that

• Severus Snape is a benevolent God who resides in an alternate dimension
  • JK Rowling wrote Harry Potter because she was subconsciously channelling Snape's spirit
  • You could marry Snape on the astral plane

This poo poo got crazy. It had vows, schisms, theological squabbling, the works. Snapism largely collapsed when one of the major players fell in love with Jethro Gibbs from NCIS and things degenerated from there.

...Msscribe probably counts as a cult too. Harry Potter got weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pachylad posted:

The whole thing is just fuckin :stare:, here's just one excerpt:

is it bad that i feel kind of nostalgic reading about this sort of insanity

today's online craziness is a different breed

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

YggiDee posted:

Okay basically there was a movement/religion/cult in the Harry Potter fandom that believed that

• JK Rowling wrote Harry Potter because she was subconsciously channelling Snape's spirit

This poo poo got crazy. It had vows, schisms, theological squabbling, the works. Snapism largely collapsed when one of the major players fell in love with Jethro Gibbs from NCIS and things degenerated from there.

Is potter fandom cursed or is just what happens when a lot of people like escapist media?

If it’s the former time I blame the story focuses on hierarchies. :p

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

is it bad that i feel kind of nostalgic reading about this sort of insanity

today's online craziness is a different breed

There's this weird sort of arcadian harmlessness to the 1999-2014 era of "internet crazy" (which was very much NOT harmless, for the record). Where as modern "internet crazy" is legitimately scary and dangerous.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

nine-gear crow posted:

There's this weird sort of arcadian harmlessness to the 1999-2014 era of "internet crazy" (which was very much NOT harmless, for the record). Where as modern "internet crazy" is legitimately scary and dangerous.

Yeah, the "Final Fantasy House" style of madness was very harmful, but only to the fairly small number of people who were in its immediate orbit. So for the majority of people who heard about it, there was a feeling of being at a safe enough distance to gawk. Today, there is no safe gawking distance.

Rockit posted:

Is potter fandom cursed or is just what happens when a lot of people like escapist media?

Definitely not just a Harry Potter thing. See the Final Fantasy House reference above, but also this kind of thing had been going on in various ways even before the internet was huge. For example, I was part of a Pagan Student Alliance at my university in the late 90s, and just a couple of years before I had joined the group it had basically become a cult when one particular person joined and through a combination of charisma, intense narcissism, and extremely baroque "rules" for magick managed to turn about half of the group into her followers. Eventually there was a major schism when the folks who weren't suckered in finally had to break away and the whole thing was a mess until the cult leader ended up failing out of school.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

Rockit posted:

Maybe Alan Rickman is hot enough to start cults :shrug:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

YggiDee posted:

drat, if there was one thing the Shrieking Shack needed to cover before they finished.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RareAcumen posted:

drat, if there was one thing the Shrieking Shack needed to cover before they finished.

They mentioned it a few times, funny enough in the very episode I was listening to when I refreshed this page. I'm on book six now of their coverage and I find myself increasingly skipping huge half-hour chunks at a time while they talk about things like websites and fanfiction. Also I miss the old themesong.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I have a friend who was going to UD around the time final fantasy house was happening, and when I showed him the dtrh video on it he basically had an Unusual Suspects moment when he realized in real time that he’d actually met those fuckers once or twice.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
What really gets to me the most about these sorts of things is that people don't seem to ever learn. This will come across as a bit of victim-blaming I guess, but it's frustrating. I've been seeing tinhatters, Big Name Fans, delusional fan cults spring up since I was a child decades ago, and I'll probably still be seeing them when I die decades from now in the Bezos Wars. At what point will it sink in that your special internet friend who pretends to channel cartoons is not, in fact, one of the good ones? Is the learning curve truly so steep?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

There's new people born every day, and unfortunately they have to repeat the same mistakes to learn the same lessons. As for those who never learn their lesson, well, once you've devoted enough of your life to something, it becomes impossible to convince you it's wrong or harmful, no matter how obvious that becomes.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
There's a very lengthy r/HobbyDrama post about the Snape cult, and it's…

…well…

"I HAVE HAD IT WITH THESE MOTHERFUCKING SNAPES ON THIS MOTHERFUCKING ASTRAL PLANE" :haw:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm so glad that HobbyDrama is rebuilding the lost tales of Fandom Wank.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Pachylad posted:

The whole thing is just fuckin :stare:, here's just one excerpt:

Atrocity Guide covered them early on in her videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btp7oPP2AwI

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Trump winning was the most gigantic death blow possible to the entire alt-right project. They all just crumpled under the weight of stupid victory and vanished.
You can't be punk rock while being a part of the establishment. It just doesn't work. The smart ones pivoted to full fascism and started calling for the deaths of their political enemies, the dumb ones tried to continue railing against their imaginary bugbears to a smaller and smaller audience.

Like, no one cared about free speech on college campuses during the Trump years, because it's ultimately small potatoes and all of that culture war nonsense only serves to get reactionaries into power and the reactionaries were already in power. The bickering over Critical Race Theory only started to happen after Biden was elected, because it's a dumb wedge issue that's only useful to talk about when you're in the minority.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

You don’t get how a copy of you isn’t you and if you’re dead you’re dead?

No, you and that other guy are a bit confused about this, so I put this into some more words: I don't care that someone else replaces me after death, as long as it is someone similar to me. We all have to die some day, so worrying about it is not something I do. Someone else stepping in to continue is just an unexpected bonus. Far better than just disappearing without leaving a trace.

Piell posted:

If you die then you're dead, it makes zero difference to you if there's a copy of you walking around, you're still dead. Just because you get a new goldfish when your first one dies doesn't mean the first goldfish is still alive.

If instead of getting killed you're instead kidnapped and kept in an underground bunker while a copy of you moves into your life are you totally cool with that? If not, what's the difference between that and if someone just killed you instead of kidnapping you?

Goldfish, kidnapping and murder are what you're going with? :stare: Based on this post, I can only assume you're drunk, this is the dumbest poo poo I've read all week.

Come back after you've stopped confusing people and goldfish

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Libluini posted:

No, you and that other guy are a bit confused about this, so I put this into some more words: I don't care that someone else replaces me after death, as long as it is someone similar to me. We all have to die some day, so worrying about it is not something I do. Someone else stepping in to continue is just an unexpected bonus. Far better than just disappearing without leaving a trace.

Nobody said you have to worry about it since yeah we all die we were saying the copy isn't you.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

BrianWilly posted:

What really gets to me the most about these sorts of things is that people don't seem to ever learn. This will come across as a bit of victim-blaming I guess, but it's frustrating. I've been seeing tinhatters, Big Name Fans, delusional fan cults spring up since I was a child decades ago, and I'll probably still be seeing them when I die decades from now in the Bezos Wars. At what point will it sink in that your special internet friend who pretends to channel cartoons is not, in fact, one of the good ones? Is the learning curve truly so steep?

The people who get caught up in cults aren’t like, bouncing from cult to cult. It’s typically vulnerable young people who have big issues and are kind of stupid who get caught up in something they don’t have the life experience to recognize is a problem

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

Nobody said you have to worry about it since yeah we all die we were saying the copy isn't you.

and wanting to have some sort of legacy is normal and all but going 'yeah it'd be nice if there was a literal copy of myself to carry on after i died' seems like extreme narcissism lmao

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
There's also the big assumption that most people have the same experience you do, have seen this kind of thing before, and simply did not take precautions to protect themselves. They're not goons who know about and actively seek out all the weirdest and worst corners of the internet. Most people have no idea what cults are beyond "Scientology" or "Jonestown" and definitely don't understand how they work psychologically.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Neo_Crimson posted:

There's also the big assumption that most people have the same experience you do, have seen this kind of thing before, and simply did not take precautions to protect themselves. They're not goons who know about and actively seek out all the weirdest and worst corners of the internet. Most people have no idea what cults are beyond "Scientology" or "Jonestown" and definitely don't understand how they work psychologically.

Yeah I was gonna say there isn't exactly a lot of level-headed "here's what a cult actually is" advice out there. It's either black bars and ominous music in a documentary about one of the Big Ones or it's old dipshit Christian resources going off about made up satanic cults!!!! that no disaffected 16 year old is going to take seriously even at the best of times.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea the main view people have of 'cults' is completely wrong. I have two friends who have been involved in them, one was literally raised in a Christian cult who has trouble talking about it literally because people don't associate 'real' religions with 'cults' so they think she's just being glib about a kinda fundie upbringing and not, ya know, 'no you idiot the guy in charge literally said he was Jesus' son and we all had to get permission from him to do anything and poo poo like that'. The other spent like, a minute, in a cult that was based around a loving hiking group because he never drew the conclusion because they were just kinda boring crunchie hippies and not white robed weirdos named sparkleshine or whatever.

It's super easy to join a cult if you're a disaffected or otherwise isolated person with a need for a greater meaning in their life, and guess what our capitalist hellscape is full of? It's super easy to think you'd never join a cult when you think they're all Heaven's Gate but hey guess what sometimes they're those nice church people who kinda stick to themselves or a fun hiking group that just REALLY thinks you should be more dedicated to mindfulness and nature to fix your problems.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

When my cousins graduate high school in 5-7 years, my graduation gift will be a large check and a link to the DTRH Final Fantasy House episode.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

sexpig by night posted:

yea the main view people have of 'cults' is completely wrong. I have two friends who have been involved in them, one was literally raised in a Christian cult who has trouble talking about it literally because people don't associate 'real' religions with 'cults' so they think she's just being glib about a kinda fundie upbringing and not, ya know, 'no you idiot the guy in charge literally said he was Jesus' son and we all had to get permission from him to do anything and poo poo like that'. The other spent like, a minute, in a cult that was based around a loving hiking group because he never drew the conclusion because they were just kinda boring crunchie hippies and not white robed weirdos named sparkleshine or whatever.

It's super easy to join a cult if you're a disaffected or otherwise isolated person with a need for a greater meaning in their life, and guess what our capitalist hellscape is full of? It's super easy to think you'd never join a cult when you think they're all Heaven's Gate but hey guess what sometimes they're those nice church people who kinda stick to themselves or a fun hiking group that just REALLY thinks you should be more dedicated to mindfulness and nature to fix your problems.

People are always mad cocky about getting conned/charmed because it usually looks obvious in hindsight, and because accepting that similar tricks could work on you means copping that your not always going to be a supreme rational actor at all times and that your brain can be a failliable machine sometimes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Vagabong posted:

People are always mad cocky about getting conned/charmed because it usually looks obvious in hindsight, and because accepting that similar tricks could work on you means copping that your not always going to be a supreme rational actor at all times and that your brain can be a failliable machine sometimes.

yea it's super easy to go 'well that's an obvious scam' when you're watching the news about how the guy was running like five shell businesses on credit only, but the people getting scammed didn't see that, that's what makes him a good scam artist!

Not only is that a lovely attitude to have and all but it also leaves you incredibly open to being scammed because you assume you're going to see any scam coming. Like, that's a genuine thing, if you listen to any interview with a con artist they say their best marks aren't some rando senile old lady who thinks their dead husband wants them to sign their condo away or whatever, the best ones are the people who's ego you can stroke and let them feel like they're actually the ones getting over on you or that you're doing them some kind of personal favor and all. Going through life with a 'well obviously cons/cults/whatevers are self-evident and anyone who falls for them is an idiot' is a really cool way to leave yourself open to being one of those 'idiots'!

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

A great point I once heard made is that in some ways, “smart” people are actually more vulnerable to falling into cults specifically because they think they’re smart enough to see the signs and avoid falling into the trap. It’s how you get stuff like aum shinrikyo recruiting nuclear scientists and engineers.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

A great point I once heard made is that in some ways, “smart” people are actually more vulnerable to falling into cults specifically because they think they’re smart enough to see the signs and avoid falling into the trap. It’s how you get stuff like aum shinrikyo recruiting nuclear scientists and engineers.

i do software engineering and i don't think i've ever seen a higher concentration of people vulnerable to cults and cult thought ever. because it's typically about like, ways to manage projects or whatever nobody really notices when they've been hooked in.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea it's just that old joke 'always look for the guy who thinks he's the smartest guy in the room, that's the one you can get to buy your drinks'. It's why you get people like, say, Dick Dawkins who is an intelligent man in his field behaving like a complete dipshit, or Ben 'literally one of America's best neurosurgeons' Carson doing (insert literally any of the insane things he did while he was in the public eye). Being highly educated is great, but it doesn't make you inherently 'smart' at everything.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

CYBEReris posted:

i do software engineering and i don't think i've ever seen a higher concentration of people vulnerable to cults and cult thought ever. because it's typically about like, ways to manage projects or whatever nobody really notices when they've been hooked in.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

sexpig by night posted:

also, when someone's raised in a cult (or just in a very religious family), it kinda initialises their whole worldview - what the cult believes about the world becomes "normal", basically. it can be super hard to break out of this, and it takes a lot of mental fortitude to come to terms with the fact that no, your whole worldview and belief system is actually not normal at all

i know a person who was raised in a cult and then left (or rather ran away). they're somehow a really well-adjusted adult now, all things considered, and a staunch atheist; however, they still get an occasional panic attack where they think they're being chased by the literal, biblical devil. when you spend the first 16 years of your life or so being told that Satan himself will spring out of hell and snatch you if you go walking around town without the elder's permission or whatever - it will leave a deep mark, unfortunately

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

CYBEReris posted:

6 sigma and agile development are 100% cults

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

nurmie posted:

also, when someone's raised in a cult (or just in a very religious family), it kinda initialises their whole worldview - what the cult believes about the world becomes "normal", basically. it can be super hard to break out of this, and it takes a lot of mental fortitude to come to terms with the fact that no, your whole worldview and belief system is actually not normal at all

i know a person who was raised in a cult and then left (or rather ran away). they're somehow a really well-adjusted adult now, all things considered, and a staunch atheist; however, they still get an occasional panic attack where they think they're being chased by the literal, biblical devil. when you spend the first 16 years of your life or so being told that Satan himself will spring out of hell and snatch you if you go walking around town without the elder's permission or whatever - it will leave a deep mark, unfortunately

that's exactly how my friend who was raised in one is, yea. She's a perfectly 'normal' person, she even still considers herself Christian despite her childhood so I have nothing but respect for her faith in the non-cult bullshit that remains, but yea every so often she'll just literally believe an actual physical demon is trying to do harm to her because she spent most of her upbringing being told demons are actual things that exist in the world and will kill you and send you to hell if you don't listen to the prophet and that poo poo's hard to shake. It's just a fact of life to her, the grass is green, the sky is blue, rabbits are cute, and demons want to eat your soul if you do a bad. She doesn't believe that the dude in charge of her cult is the arbiter of when demons are mad, so that's nice, but yea that worldview has become internalized so well that she just kinda thinks 'oh yea well he was lying, but he was lying about a real thing that happens'.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

sexpig by night posted:

that's exactly how my friend who was raised in one is, yea. She's a perfectly 'normal' person, she even still considers herself Christian despite her childhood so I have nothing but respect for her faith in the non-cult bullshit that remains, but yea every so often she'll just literally believe an actual physical demon is trying to do harm to her because she spent most of her upbringing being told demons are actual things that exist in the world and will kill you and send you to hell if you don't listen to the prophet and that poo poo's hard to shake. It's just a fact of life to her, the grass is green, the sky is blue, rabbits are cute, and demons want to eat your soul if you do a bad. She doesn't believe that the dude in charge of her cult is the arbiter of when demons are mad, so that's nice, but yea that worldview has become internalized so well that she just kinda thinks 'oh yea well he was lying, but he was lying about a real thing that happens'.

Ooof I relate to this alot. Like my whole childhood I had the idea of the rapture thoroughly beaten into my squishy kid brain, and now as an adult, it can gently caress with me in weird ways. Like sometimes if my house is empty and no one told me they were leaving (which my family usually does before they go out) theres an irrational part of my brain that starts yelling "THE RAPTURE HAPPENED AND EVERYONES BEEN RAPTURED EXCEPT YOU AND NOW YOU'RE STUCK ON EARTH AND YOU'RE GOING TO BE TORTURED/ENSLAVED/KILLED BY THE ANTICHRIST'S GOVERNMENT/NEW WORLD ORDER" or whatever lol I have to kinda tell myself "no that's literally insane." and calm myself down.

People don't talk about spiritual abuse like they do mental or emotional abuse, but it is totally a thing and it can permanently gently caress with you :smith:

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

sexpig by night posted:

It's just a fact of life to her, the grass is green, the sky is blue, rabbits are cute, and demons want to eat your soul if you do a bad.

yeah it's interesting (and occasionally really loving scary) how a thoroughly internalised belief system can affect one's worldview - as in, literally, the way one interprets the physical reality that surrounds them. it can be super hard to fight it, especially when the belief system is supposedly supported by external "evidence" (that is, everyone else around believing the same thing)

e:

Jamie Faith posted:

People don't talk about spiritual abuse like they do mental or emotional abuse, but it is totally a thing and it can permanently gently caress with you :smith:

it's all abuse all the way down, and it's all hosed up, and it should never ever happen, and it sucks that it happened to you :smith:

nurmie fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 20, 2021

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea it sucks that the ~spiritual abuse discourse~ has been so ceded to the worst people, because there's a ton of actual stuff to talk about there that isn't either /r/athiest losers screaming that someone saying 'thank god' is a sign they're actually morons or fundies who think it's 'abuse' to tell them they maybe aren't allowed to run a private business like it's a church or whatever. I grew up in a very Christian community and even went to Christian school a couple years as a kid and as a Jew I found it just...I mean this in the least patronizing way I swear...fascinating at times. I have nothing but respect for people's faith of any stripe but yea there were for sure some kids who, say, would literally start crying about how Halloween was coming up and that meant the 'Satanists' would be out looking for 'human sacrifices' and make me think 'oh so you're just being abused at home, cool cool cool'.

Like, again, most of my friends there were just normal Christians, maybe at worst with a side of weird southern Christian 'oh we don't listen to secular music' folded in, but yea there for sure were a non-zero amount who were just being mentally tormented by their church and it was just kinda...accepted?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CYBEReris posted:

and now the conversation has looped back to rocko's modern basilisk

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Schwarzwald posted:

and now the conversation has looped back to rocko's modern basilisk

great now you made another one of my clones get murdered :argh:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jamie Faith posted:

Ooof I relate to this alot. Like my whole childhood I had the idea of the rapture thoroughly beaten into my squishy kid brain, and now as an adult, it can gently caress with me in weird ways. Like sometimes if my house is empty and no one told me they were leaving (which my family usually does before they go out) theres an irrational part of my brain that starts yelling "THE RAPTURE HAPPENED AND EVERYONES BEEN RAPTURED EXCEPT YOU AND NOW YOU'RE STUCK ON EARTH AND YOU'RE GOING TO BE TORTURED/ENSLAVED/KILLED BY THE ANTICHRIST'S GOVERNMENT/NEW WORLD ORDER" or whatever lol I have to kinda tell myself "no that's literally insane." and calm myself down.

This wasn't my childhood but it could have been. When I was very young my folks were part of a congregation/doomsday cult which was in the process of disintegrating. Being an eight-year-old on the outskirts of that drama sucked but also kind of ruled. Land of contrasts and all that.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

quote:

a bunch of good points about cults
These are all a bunch of good points about cults. And yet.

...And yet...there's got to be a threshold where we can acknowledge that becoming a stripper because someone says Draco Malfoy says you have to :sweatdrop: is a particularly intense break from reality and there had to have been ample discretion about that sort of thing no matter how sheltered, how vulnerable someone might be.

In seriousness, I do imagine that lack of real world experience has to account for a lot of this. The more you've actually slogged through the rigamarole of animation, game development, or writing a novel, the more unlikely it is that you'd think any of it involves fictional characters' souls inhabiting your rear end.

I mean, I say that, but I'm sure there's a write-up somewhere of some game dev getting suckered into being Sephiroth's slave. Prestigious actors joined Scientology for a long time, for seemingly no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Think this got thrown at me from my searches about bass playing, but after seeing the thumbnails a few time I gave them a go and rather enjoyed them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boKihmOqypc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8FAbjjB48A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WeEyncm_jQ