Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

content surfing the levels,

That's definitely what I call dying to every loving karakasa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Even more demos...

B.ARK

This is the year of dogs in spaceships. First Astro Dogs (by the Broken Reality dev), then ProtoCorgi, now B.ARK. This one leans a bit on the easier side as you have a ton of hit points (7 on normal, 5 on the hardest) and there are health pickups everywhere (maybe the latter changes on the harder difficulties), and you also have an infinite dodge, no stamina on it. I would say my favorite is still ProtoCorgi, just feels crunchier. The art of this game is maybe a bit too vector-leaning... not Newgrounds-ish, I'd say more like those old Erin Esurance ads.

GRIME

It's nice to see a game be influenced by Giger without just straight plagiarizing him. Grime is a side-scrolling Souls game with a lot of polish and not a lot of color saturation. But it feels pretty good to play... one thing I noticed is that, at least in the demo, you don't lose souls mass on death, but you do leave behind a thing when you die that you can get back... so I assume in the full version you will lose Mass on death. Decent amount of hidden passages, the repel/absorb system is kind of similar to Samus Returns and you can learn traits from enemies by doing it. Also keeping health restoration something you can only do when you have a full 'breath' meter (I think Hollow Knight did something similar to this but it requires absorbing 4 enemies here to refill your meter) means that you only get one heal during a boss. So this'll definitely get hard later on.

Brok the InvestiGator

I am more willing to try and give furry games the benefit of the doubt. Beacon Pines was one of my favorite demos of the previous Steam Festival. This one combines point and click adventuring with Streets of Rage beat-em-up mechanics. So, it's interesting. You can show items to people to get their reaction like an Ace Attorney game. Conceptually, from a game design standpoint it's strong. You can go into beat-em-up mode to jump on platforms to reach items. You can literally brute force some solutions just by punching them. The game also has a near couple dozen game-overs you can unlock just by loving around which is fun (you can punch your client until he kills you, for example). It just brings you right back to where you were before you got the game over.

My main issue with the game is its setting and some of its dialogue. It's... kinda bleh? The whole 'detective in a dystopia' thing is tropey enough but add the typical furry racism allegory and you have a roll-eye pie baking. The art is also very inconsistent. This is someone that really likes drawing some animals more than others, and so stylistically the characters don't all look like they come from the same universe. Brok is drawn sort of in the hanna barbera mold and then others are drawn like webcomic characters. And then there's stuff that's just stupid worldbuilding. Stuff like "The Untail". Made up words that sound dumb.

Escape From Terror City

By the dev of And All Would Cry Beware. Plays a bit like the behind-the-back levels of Contra. Needs a lot more time in the oven, but probably won't get it.

ENDO

Kind of feels like a first-person Samorost. You just go around clicking on stuff to see what happens. A lot of interactions involve physical movement of the mouse, like pushing a lever, or guiding a thing through a maze. Gives it the feel of a Wii-era title. I think it maybe needs a little more quirkiness and personality to stand out.

Button City

Cute game for kids. I would say adults will not find a whole lot to enjoy here, except for a reference to the slowed down Olsen twin "gimme pizza" song on youtube. While it's meant to evoke nostalgia for the 90s, I can't imagine adults are the target demo. And I say that as someone who likes cute games.

UNSIGHTED

One of the major games in the Steam Fest, Unsighted is like a much faster Hyper Light Drifter. Armed with a sword and blaster, you'll be exploring the top-down world fighting enemies, solving puzzles, installing passive buffs, and petting dogs. The game has an adequate parry system with the sword that feels good, and the blaster does not drain stamina but requires reloading... so it does become a bit strategic on the fly of when to use which weapon and when to spend time reloading. The reload system is similar to Mercenary Kings where if you hit the timer at the right time, you reload instantly. The platforming, specifically the jumping, does not feel that great until you get the high jump, at which point you at least feel slightly less like you're going to fail every jump.

I think this is definitely a solid game... I'll be posting a tier list at the end of my demo adventures and this one is probably either A or B tier. I'm glad that the world isn't procedurally generated. The game having a time limit though both intrigues and concerns me. I do play games fast, but a time limit could end up being needlessly stress inducing.

Dodgeball Academia

Wow what an awesome game. I'm surprised people were finding it confusing, it's pretty simple.... it's dodgeball. You catch the balls the other team throw, and you throw them back at them. If a member on your team gets knocked out, they go to beyond the other side's boundary and assist you. Whichever team gets fully knocked out loses. Main story battles add more fun wrinkles, like a match being set in the parking lot where cars occasionally drive through and you have to avoid them. Each character has an ultimate attack (including your opponents), and you can charge your ultimate meter at any time as long as you don't have any dodgeballs on your side of the field.. obviously this puts you at risk of getting hit as well. It's pretty well tuned.

It's primarily a single player game and so it has a full storyline mode with main quests, sidequests and minigames. There are people in the overworld that will challenge you to dodgeball if you walk past them, ala Pokemon. It also has RPG stats and it seems like you'll be able to do some customization to your character's playstyle in the full game. I'm excited for this one, even though I suspect that the dodgeball battles run the risk of getting stale if the game doesn't do enough to subvert or iterate on them over the course of the campaign.

Ys IX: Monstrum Nox

Okay.. where to begin. Hmmm. So, I've played the Ys series up through Celceta, and the main thing that has put me off from playing more Ys is.. well, Celceta. Actually it's more than that. It's that since Ys Seven, the series has moved away from the hyperspeed whirling dervish action of the Napishtim/Oath/Origins trilogy, and more towards generic hack and slash. You still move pretty quickly, and some characters swing their swords kinda quickly, but it's not the malestrom of swings and bounces that I love modern Ys for.

IX continues that trajectory further. Hawk is the only character whose attacks even closely resemble the speed of the older 2000s Ys titles. What's even the point if the game is as moderately paced as any other dungeon crawler? They don't even have all the fun temporary stat boosting drops, I loved racking up combos and then racking up stat buffs and just getting more and more wild blazing around. Due to the setting, the fighting all takes place in the grey and brown zone. There are 'vistas' in this game that look like an intentional homage to the PS2, except it's not intentional. You run up walls but you sometimes just have to guess which wall is the one you need to run up.... some enemies do the Ys Seven thing where you need the axe wielder to attack them for slightly more damage but they still take forever to go down.

The biggest letdown of the demo was the boss. Very few attack patterns, lacking in the kind of intensity that the older Ys bosses had. And bosses used to be Ys' thing! With the bangin' soundtrack!

Is Lacrimosa of Dana like this too? :/

That's 48 demos now. I can probably stop after tomorrow.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jun 20, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

To add to Sekirochat, one other thing I think should be mentioned is that IME you're only going to get one real run out of it. It's one really loving good run, don't get me wrong, but by the time you finish the game, all of the mechanics and boss patterns are so baked into your memory that future replays are just kind of a joke. I decided to replay Sekiro a few months back after not touching it for a couple years, and even after that time, it was basically like riding a bicycle. I hadn't forgotten anything. I knew this boss did that three-hit combo and then there was an opening, I knew that boss always followed his shoulder-check with this one particular move that I had to dodge in one way... it was all still there in my muscle memory somehow, and I was just stomping everything. Admittedly this was on NG instead of NG+, but I can't imagine an official "second playthrough" is all that different.

I don't mean this as a knock against the game, because some games are just like that when you get good at them. But Sekiro's design is such that once you know it, you know it, and there's no opportunity to try new builds or play the game in a different way. Still, you'll really enjoy that first playthrough.

I have more than enough games in my backlog, I'm much happier with a game that has one good hand-designed playthrough in it than a game tuned for "infinite replayability" (or even worse, live-service GAAS crap).
Not really Sekiro related but I'm always disappointed when an indie game trailier starts off really interesting and then pops up "roguelike" in the middle of the screen.
I don't want to play samey levels for 100 hours I just want to play through from level 1 to level 10 and get a credits roll!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

The 7th Guest posted:

Dodgeball Academia

Wow what an awesome game. I'm surprised people were finding it confusing, it's pretty simple.... it's dodgeball. You catch the balls the other team throw, and you throw them back at them. If a member on your team gets knocked out, they go to beyond the other side's boundary and assist you. Whichever team gets fully knocked out loses. Main story battles add more fun wrinkles, like a match being set in the parking lot where cars occasionally drive through and you have to avoid them. Each character has an ultimate attack (including your opponents), and you can charge your ultimate meter at any time as long as you don't have any dodgeballs on your side of the field.. obviously this puts you at risk of getting hit as well. It's pretty well tuned.

It's primarily a single player game and so it has a full storyline mode with main quests, sidequests and minigames. There are people in the overworld that will challenge you to dodgeball if you walk past them, ala Pokemon. It also has RPG stats and it seems like you'll be able to do some customization to your character's playstyle in the full game. I'm excited for this one, even though I suspect that the dodgeball battles run the risk of getting stale if the game doesn't do enough to subvert or iterate on them over the course of the campaign.

Is this like the Kunio Dodgeball games? I aught to check it out

And yes, Ys 8 continues the gameplay style from Ys Seven and Celceta. Personally I like it, but if you hated those games, 8 and I imagine 9 will not change your mind.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jun 20, 2021

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Unlucky7 posted:

Is this like the Kunio Dodgeball games? I aught to check it out
It definitely feels inspired by it but it's a lot faster paced. Teams are limited to 4 or less so the court is smaller, and there as as many balls as the max team, so there can be up to 4 dodgeballs in play at once.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The 7th Guest posted:

Okay.. where to begin. Hmmm. So, I've played the Ys series up through Celceta, and the main thing that has put me off from playing more Ys is.. well, Celceta. Actually it's more than that. It's that since Ys Seven, the series has moved away from the hyperspeed whirling dervish action of the Napishtim/Oath/Origins trilogy, and more towards generic hack and slash. You still move pretty quickly, and some characters swing their swords kinda quickly, but it's not the malestrom of swings and bounces that I love modern Ys for.

IX continues that trajectory further. Hawk is the only character whose attacks even closely resemble the speed of the older 2000s Ys titles. What's even the point if the game is as moderately paced as any other dungeon crawler? They don't even have all the fun temporary stat boosting drops, I loved racking up combos and then racking up stat buffs and just getting more and more wild blazing around. Due to the setting, the fighting all takes place in the grey and brown zone. There are 'vistas' in this game that look like an intentional homage to the PS2, except it's not intentional. You run up walls but you sometimes just have to guess which wall is the one you need to run up.... some enemies do the Ys Seven thing where you need the axe wielder to attack them for slightly more damage but they still take forever to go down.

The biggest letdown of the demo was the boss. Very few attack patterns, lacking in the kind of intensity that the older Ys bosses had. And bosses used to be Ys' thing! With the bangin' soundtrack!

play CrossCode

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

explosivo posted:

I've been playing Synthetik again with my friend after playing the demo for the sequel and man this game loving rules. It takes a while to get in a groove where you're interacting with all the systems without having to think about it but when you nail it it's incredibly satisfying. I've jumped around a few of the classes but have settled on the Sniper for now, I love the headshot ding in this game and the damage popups give great feedback so sitting a screen away and getting one hit kills while my friend zips in and lays bombs everywhere.

I think I like the Raider the most. It took a while to really click, but then I got that class level unlock that makes the knife attack have no cooldown if you kill an enemy, and daaamn. In my best run I found an artefact that gave me an extra Dash charge (for a total of three since the Raider has two to begin with), and I really got in the zone with this rythm of "dash into a group, knife, shoot to soften up the tougher one who didn't die, knife again, dash, dash, shoot, knife, etc".

Still can't get past the drat military bay, though. One day! :argh:

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

The 7th Guest posted:

If you haven't yet, play Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. While it's a completely different genre, it's the only other game I've played that captures the fast paced action and buttrock combination that the 2D Ys games do.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I tried some of the demos so I am joining the impressions lists!

Dodgeball Academia
The big hit among the few I tried. It's an RPG, where you have mini-dodgeball matches. Control-wise, it's a bit similar to Windjammers where you have normal toss, special toss, catch a ball, but you also have ability to stack balls, the ability to pass to a partner (who have their own quirks and moves), and you score by hitting your opponents directly. The animation quality is high and consistent, the feedback for the balls being tossed and caught is good to me, and the matches are fast enough that I don't feel like I'm wasting time. Only thing I'm not a fan of is the Pokemon-like "You passed by me now we HAVE to fight dodgeball" mostly because I'm not a fan of forced encounters like that. That said, potential battle encounters are marked so you should be able to avoid them.
Impression: Impressed, wishlisted and probably buying the full version when it comes out

Mayhem Brawler
The biggest dud of the ones I tried. The graphics evoke (a choppier) Streets of Rage 4, the gameplay is anything but. The combo system is really quite rigid with almost no opportunity to extend combos that I found - think Final Fight levels of punch punch punch, or weapon attack times two. The enemy balance feels off, at least for level one, as you already fight guys with guns and rifles, both of which you can pick up too, and use much less bullets than when they had it. The one boss I fought was a big damage sponge, which made the fight feel too long and almost boring; which could have been mitigated by higher damage, bigger combo potential, or a smaller boss lifebar.

Between levels, you get a small comic book snippet which is honestly cool, then you choose the next "issue" to read aka the next level. That part of the presentation, I like. Then I tried the next level and it felt like more of a slog again.
Impression: Definitely not getting. Not Streets of Rage 4, which isn't a problem on its own, but I feel like I'm playing "Final Fight but more of a slog"

Okinawa Rush
Only one screenshot for this because this game is fast. The keyword is rush, and you have the default run speed, and a run even faster speed, with a big jump arc and an even bigger superjump arc. Moves feel good and weighty and they come out very fast, mostly based on direction + attack button. There's a SF3-style parry system, tap towards the attack to parry something, but as far as I can tell there's no penalty for missing a parry, so I just mashed forward when I fought someone. The one level I tried was pretty big and sprawling too, expanding in every direction, letting you find level triggers and weapons. Honestly, the fighting and movement feel on point.

...but I can't recommend this easily, because this game, or at least this level in the demo, has a lot of instant kill sections. "Put three spike pits so you have to start stop in between them" and "Your run speed is so high you fly everywhere" is not a good combination. And there are limited checkpoints. And you have limited lives. Like, if this game was exactly the same but no instant kills, I think I would recommend it whole-heartedly. As it is, I'm wary of the final product if this is their preferred level design.
Impression: Probably not getting. I want to like this so much but the instant kills are pretty demotivating.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Nordick posted:

I think I like the Raider the most. It took a while to really click, but then I got that class level unlock that makes the knife attack have no cooldown if you kill an enemy, and daaamn. In my best run I found an artefact that gave me an extra Dash charge (for a total of three since the Raider has two to begin with), and I really got in the zone with this rythm of "dash into a group, knife, shoot to soften up the tougher one who didn't die, knife again, dash, dash, shoot, knife, etc".

Still can't get past the drat military bay, though. One day! :argh:

Ha, I was playing the Raider and it also clicked for me when I got that unlock. It really is great when you get that cadence down. I only switched to the sniper because I liked scoring headshots and I'm now addicted to seeing how much damage I can get in a single shot.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The 7th Guest posted:

That's 48 demos now. I can probably stop after tomorrow.

With the possible exception of a rapier wielding party member, Lacrimosa of Dana doesn't exactly have lightning fast attacks (other than when you activate certain multi-hit special attacks, of course) or anything like that, either, and it has three different damage types spread over different potential party members that will do extra damage by "breaking" certain enemy types. I also don't recall the bosses having much in terms of attack patterns, so it's probably similar to what you described.
It was definitely a step down from the only other recent Falcom game I've played, Tokyo Xanadu eX+, especially when it came to combos, special moves and soundtrack.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Ashes of Ariandel was bullshit hard on my first playthrough because I jumped right into it as soon as it became available (right at the entrance to the Cathedral of the Deep, so you can potentially reach it only 3 bosses in, depending on your route).
The next time I just waited and did both DLCs after beating the final boss of the main game and it felt much more appropriately scaled.

Yeah I would say around the point you can upgrade a weapon to +7 is a good time to tackle Ashes, though some parts will still be pretty challenging. I like that you can access it way too early and do suicide runs for some cool loot, that's something I really appreciated about the Bloodborne DLC.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I did the DS3 DLCs one after the other after I had 100%ed the entire rest of the game, but before doing Soul of Cinder, and even then they were tough. Ashes of Ariandel wasn't too hard, but Ringed City is basically made to sprint through.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'm not enjoying Chicory: A Colorful Tale quite as much as Wandersong or Celeste, but it's still very good.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I have gotten Dark Souls to work FINALLY with a controller and can now play it and just cleared the Undead Asylum for the first time! :toot:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I have gotten Dark Souls to work FINALLY with a controller and can now play it and just cleared the Undead Asylum for the first time! :toot:

Enjoy, gamer. I haven't replayed 1 in FOREVER, that might be next on my list when I get done with this run of 3. So much cool stuff in that game

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

goferchan posted:

Enjoy, gamer. I haven't replayed 1 in FOREVER, that might be next on my list when I get done with this run of 3. So much cool stuff in that game

Thanks! It's wild to play with a controller as suddenly the control scheme makes sense and I can focus on the enemies instead of futzing with controls.

I'm starting as a sorcerer because I've seen multiple LPs and want to just shoot things instead of repeating swordwork again.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Just as a point of reference, both int builds and pyromancy are extremely overpowered in DS1. Nothing wrong with that, but when you absolutely roll nearly everything in the game, don't be surprised.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Dark Souls is so good. There's been a Souls-shaped hole in my heart since I wrapped up my DS2 playthrough a few weeks ago. I'm hoping to get started on DS3 this week and I'm super stoked for it. Just hope it runs okay on my computer, this is the first of the three where I'm actually under the minimum specs.

Gonna play Ynglet tonight, though.

edit: Ah no, not going to play Ynglet because it apparently needs a CPU with AVX support and I still only have an i5-750. I didn't expect this modest-looking indie title to be the first literally unplayable game on my computer, oh well. Happy to support Nifflas for now, I'll wait with the actual playing until I can finally buy a new PC I suppose.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 20, 2021

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ni No Kuni 2 was $9 and then they jacked it back up to $30 while I was hemming and hawing about getting it, rip

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Sekiro or Nioh 2?

That's a tough one.

I'd go with Sekiro first. Just like in Dark Souls, 99% of the times you fail in Sekiro end up being your fault. It deliberately has no grand weapon/armor selection and you don't have to worry about stats other than getting more health/spirit emblems and techniques that make your life easier.

The boss fights and learning them are intense, especially when you get up to the highly skilled samurai in the game. The sound direction, the clanging of swords, realizing that it's less about fighting a dark souls boss and more like playing a fighting game. There's a reason it won game of the year, it's good poo poo

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Hwurmp posted:

I'm not enjoying Chicory: A Colorful Tale quite as much as Wandersong or Celeste, but it's still very good.

I dropped it at chapter 5 because it feels like they could do way more with the painting mechanic even for non-artists like myself. The boss fights are really fun but everything else is kind of bland. The last power up I unlocked was the ability to jump over small gaps :effort: I know the game wants you to stop and draw/color a lot for fun so I might not be the intended audience.

I'm comparing this to Wandersong where I had a blast every chapter

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 20, 2021

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

StrixNebulosa posted:

No, Strix! You must play Nox so that I might live vicariously through you!

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Are people still somehow playing Nox Quest still after all these years? Nox was a fantastic game that deserved more. People kept comparing it to fuckin Diablo back then despite it being nothing like it

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I found a sniper rifle in Synthetik called the 420 Sniperdragon that gives a damage buff for a second after doing a '360 noscope' by spinning in a circle before shooting. :allears:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hwurmp posted:

play CrossCode
Don't worry, I've played and very much enjoyed CrossCode. Same with MGR:R.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

dunno if we have a Chivalry thread somewhere. Been playing it and enjoying it a few days but there's a weapon I want to use that I can't find - a sledgehammer, basically, both ends of the head flat-squared. I see plenty with one flat-end and the hook-thing on the other side, but not the one I want. Is it not in game?

(e) Nevermind, found it as soon as I asked. It's a Maul, and it's only for Vanguards, not Knights :argh:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 20, 2021

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

K8.0 posted:

Just as a point of reference, both int builds and pyromancy are extremely overpowered in DS1. Nothing wrong with that, but when you absolutely roll nearly everything in the game, don't be surprised.

Come to think of it, is there any hosed up OP builds in DS3? Wouldn't mind giving it (and DLC) another shot if I can just steamroll everything.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

explosivo posted:

I found a sniper rifle in Synthetik called the 420 Sniperdragon that gives a damage buff for a second after doing a '360 noscope' by spinning in a circle before shooting. :allears:

I had one too, it was surely an amusing gimmick but I wasn't a huge fan from a practical point of view. :v: I like the Sniper class too. I had a surprisingly good run with the "Pneumatic Impaler" or whatever it was called, basically a shotgun that fires slugs after a charge-up when you hold the trigger.

Ciaphas posted:

dunno if we have a Chivalry thread somewhere. Been playing it and enjoying it a few days but there's a weapon I want to use that I can't find - a sledgehammer, basically, both ends of the head flat-squared. I see plenty with one flat-end and the hook-thing on the other side, but not the one I want. Is it not in game?

(e) Nevermind, found it as soon as I asked. It's a Maul, and it's only for Vanguards, not Knights :argh:

I think some other two-handed hammer weapons may have a similar cosmetic skin, too.

Anyways, the de-facto Chivalry thread is the recently created general swordmans thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3969586

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Nordick posted:

I had one too, it was surely an amusing gimmick but I wasn't a huge fan from a practical point of view. :v: I like the Sniper class too. I had a surprisingly good run with the "Pneumatic Impaler" or whatever it was called, basically a shotgun that fires slugs after a charge-up when you hold the trigger.

I think some other two-handed hammer weapons may have a similar cosmetic skin, too.

Anyways, the de-facto Chivalry thread is the recently created general swordmans thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3969586

ey, didn't see that thread at all, cheers!

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Synthetik 1 is the poo poo, and everyone should play that too. When the servers work, try the coop, and remember, friendly fire is always on

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

K8.0 posted:

That's good, I don't want to be too challenged by Dark Souls.

Anonymous Robot posted:

No, Strix! You must play Nox so that I might live vicariously through you!

Too late, Sacred Gold and Titan Quest have me! And I really like them a lot!

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Ok maybe a tough ask (and maybe better suited for the Android thread), but is there a fun-enough / chill / cozy base-builder in the vein of Fallout Shelter? Seeing Spellcaster University's layout reminded me of it. I've played Kingdom already and enjoyed it (but it definitely doesn't fit the "chill/relax" mold). Maybe I just go back to Oxygen Not Included but crank the difficulty down / play sandbox. I specifically want something relaxing. Project Highrise kinda scratched that itch.

e: To clarify, I'm looking for something 2D, not a 3D basebuilder/management game

Xtanstic fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 20, 2021

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Fargin Icehole posted:

Synthetik 1 is the poo poo, and everyone should play that too. When the servers work, try the coop, and remember, friendly fire is always on

Right, indiscriminate autofire at all times. Got it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Really enjoying Wildermyth so far. My mage's son is old enough to join the party but he's a warrior. If it makes him happy I suppose!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Nordick posted:

It sounded dumb but worked really well for me specced out as a headshot machine, that extra bit of damage was getting me 20k, 22k hits and it felt goooood

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

HopperUK posted:

Really enjoying Wildermyth so far. My mage's son is old enough to join the party but he's a warrior. If it makes him happy I suppose!

I've been watching the Wanderbots LP of it and finally took the plunge.
There are a few things about it I didnt like, but over all I think they did a decent job with it, and most people seem to enjoy it.

Hers the LP playlist I was watching, from 2019.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRByvB6X1Sw&list=PLVmM0UVcquYJDq8rYOASLHqivsAnaItW9&index=2

LionEyez
Aug 17, 2014

Fargin Icehole posted:

I'm pretty sure Synthetik (Ultimate edition) will be my GOTY for 2021. I'm currently trying to solo all the challenges for all the classes (already prestiged everything). Hyper adrenaline at 140% difficult is tough - one mistake can be fatal. Especially in that last room before the final boss. But man, when you get an upgraded red gun you just mow everything down.

I tried the demo for Synthetik 2 but the same great feeling isn't there, yet. I like the 3D art, but guns and gameplay seem a bit slower. I trust the dev to make it fun and will likely pick it up when it hits early access.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

OgNar posted:

I've been watching the Wanderbots LP of it and finally took the plunge.
There are a few things about it I didnt like, but over all I think they did a decent job with it, and most people seem to enjoy it.

Hers the LP playlist I was watching, from 2019.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRByvB6X1Sw&list=PLVmM0UVcquYJDq8rYOASLHqivsAnaItW9&index=2

Thanks! I might look at this.

I really like the way magic works. The mage connects with an object in the environment and then the nature of the object is what gives her the spell. So wooden objects give you 'splinterblast', a vicious AOE attack. Flames let you 'steal fire' to put a magical fire on a tile of your choice. That sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Xtanstic posted:

Ok maybe a tough ask (and maybe better suited for the Android thread), but is there a fun-enough / chill / cozy base-builder in the vein of Fallout Shelter? Seeing Spellcaster University's layout reminded me of it. I've played Kingdom already and enjoyed it (but it definitely doesn't fit the "chill/relax" mold). Maybe I just go back to Oxygen Not Included but crank the difficulty down / play sandbox. I specifically want something relaxing. Project Highrise kinda scratched that itch.

e: To clarify, I'm looking for something 2D, not a 3D basebuilder/management game

Rimworld has a peaceful mode, never tried it though.