Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I mean, it’s pretty obvious that she did this event with Corbyn, and then the LOTO office went mental at her, so she made up some bullshit excuse. It’s embarrassing, but not much more than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Given her background, I'm inclined to give Rayner more leeway than I would some bougie oval office like Starmer.
That said, her background actually provides her with more cover for just sticking to saying what she thinks than listening to the poo poo-for-brains working at Labour HQ, so I think she'd be better off at times pretending like she isn't a politician.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://mobile.twitter.com/hedl_nes/status/1406173626068516864

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Grimey Drawer
Seems like she’s doing a politic

British politics is awful right now and the only way you’re not going to have to act like a spineless idiot is by getting out. If she wants to keep doing it then yeah she’s going to have to jump through hoops to avoid being ground to dust. I mean Corbyn famously wouldn’t play these games and here we are. Not a dig, the man is great but it displays how you’re not getting anywhere with truth, justice and integrity.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Already gone, what was it?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
If anything, it sounds like a deliberately provocative excuse to me, a gently caress you to Starmer. It's obviously nonsense, but what's he going to do about it?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i cant believe my husband photobombed my photo shoot at our wedding

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
:siren:

Alert! Alert! Starmer's position has been officially revised to: "Embattled".

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jun/20/starmer-makes-another-change-to-top-team

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Pistol_Pete posted:

:siren:

Alert! Alert! Starmer's position has been officially revised to: "Embattled".

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jun/20/starmer-makes-another-change-to-top-team

Starmer’s fortunes have waned fast since the vaccine programme took hold. One shadow minister said Starmer’s team had “squandered a huge opportunity” in failing to hold Boris Johnson’s government more accountable for the failings of the Covid pandemic response. The slump in fortunes came after Starmer had actually closed a huge initial Tory lead when he took over.

5 pinocchios

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
He's hosed

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Jel Shaker posted:

One shadow minister said Starmer’s team had “squandered a huge opportunity” in failing to hold Boris Johnson’s government more accountable for the failings of the Covid pandemic response.

Huh who could have seen this, if only a large section of us has been screaming this for the better part of a year

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I just want to move back to digital camera-chat for a sec to mention that, in the late 90s, cameras existed that stored the images on 3.25 floppy disks. One of my friends had one and it should be put in a museum

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

u brexit ukip it posted:

I just want to move back to digital camera-chat for a sec to mention that, in the late 90s, cameras existed that stored the images on 3.25 floppy disks. One of my friends had one and it should be put in a museum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J0Aw2Z-8-k

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Yup that's it

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Labour are going to lose batley and spen because of anti semitism

https://twitter.com/steamedhamms/status/1406540031041409028

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

keep punching joe posted:

Is the claim that they're losing votes with Muslim voters because Labour are antisemitic or because Labour opposed antisemitism? I really can't tell from that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's like they're trying to find absolutely every single self-destruct device for the party.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Sad Panda posted:

Is the claim that they're losing votes with Muslim voters because Labour are antisemitic or because Labour opposed antisemitism? I really can't tell from that.

The latter

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Sad Panda posted:

It's suggesting the latter with Muslims being a popular scapegoat and an acceptable target in journalist circles.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I hadn't previously been aware of how difficult it is to be less racist than the Tories, but Keith is doing a great job of showing me!

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Random request. My dad asked me how he could listen to his bbc jazz radio shows away from his computer. I told him to buy a cheap mp3 player (because I thought you could just download the mp3's as podcasts). It seems for some stuff you can't (you need the app on a smart phone.

Is there a less legit way of ripping the stream from the bbc site to an mp3 that I could email him each week? I feel guilty now because he bought the mp3 player.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Sad Panda posted:

They are saying that muslims are all anti-semitic and won't vote labour because they expelled their fellow anti-semite jeremy corbyn.

Basically the labour right are ghouls.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Jippa posted:

Random request. My dad asked me how he could listen to his bbc jazz radio shows away from his computer. I told him to buy a cheap mp3 player (because I thought you could just download the mp3's as podcasts). It seems for some stuff you can't (you need the app on a smart phone.

Is there a less legit way of ripping the stream from the bbc site to an mp3 that I could email him each week? I feel guilty now because he bought the mp3 player.

I would make him “mix tapes” yourself for his MP3 player as a thoughtful gift, and buy the cheapest smartphone you can find at cash converters and show him how to download his podcasts via wireless.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/fc_1869/status/1406352706344738818?s=20

It's true

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jippa posted:

Give us an example show link and I'll take a look - it's almost certainly *possible* but it might need various levels of fuckling.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

The more things change...

quote:

The cultural excitement around [John Home's play] Douglas in Edinburgh in 1756-7 is hard to over-state. "Whaur's yer Wullie Shakespeare noo?" one audience member is reputed to have called out when the play was performed. 

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Give us an example show link and I'll take a look - it's almost certainly *possible* but it might need various levels of fuckling.

This is the programme page:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000w9xh

This is the direct stream link to the episode:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000w9xh

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Jippa posted:

Youtube-dl can rip the audio, just run
youtube-dl.exe https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000w9xh

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
get_iplayer probably does it too.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Thanks guys.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pablo Bluth posted:

get_iplayer probably does it too.

get_iplayer definitely does but I dunno if you really want to send a neophyte into that maelstrom of Perl and weirdo Linux stuff.

(There was a UI wrapper for it a while ago but I can't find it now, or at least not one that doesn't give me "Why is my computer suddenly mining bitcoin?" vibes)

e: Also get_iplayer downloads it to an m4a instead of mp3, presumably for weirdo linux reasons, and while most mp3 players will play those files it's not *guaranteed*.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jun 20, 2021

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Jippa posted:

The BBC is gradually consolidating things tighter and tighter around BBC sounds app, so even if you get a convoluted way of getting mp3s it might be time limited.

It might be significantly easier to return the MP3 player and get a 2nd hand iPhone SE (or an actual iPod because they still exist somehow). My experience is that even calcified technophobes can usually navigate iOS to the bbc sounds app.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

goddamnedtwisto posted:

e: Also get_iplayer downloads it to an m4a instead of mp3, presumably for weirdo linux reasons

It's what the website uses

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

sinky posted:

It's what the website uses

Still gonna assume weirdo Linux reasons :colbert:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

keep punching joe posted:

nobody really wants to talk about it!!!!!! :ssh: ;-*

disgusting

ZyrKx
Dec 10, 2006

Licorice Whip!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Still gonna assume weirdo Linux reasons :colbert:

Linux weirdos would use ogg vorbis rather than evil and non-free aac in an mp4 container :colbert:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Apparently Dido Harding's pitch for why she should run NHS England is that she would reduce the NHS' reliance on foreign-born staff.
An idea so staggeringly stupid - honestly, it's quite possibly the most stupid thing I've ever heard someone say when they want to be taken seriously - that it's hard to imagine her having a sensible idea now that I've heard it.

Incredibly racist, too, but that's just par for the course for the bunch of cunts running the country at the moment.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
dido harding and cressida dick :cripes:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
this country is the result of some force in the universe going "lol you know what would be funny?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ZyrKx posted:

Linux weirdos would use ogg vorbis rather than evil and non-free aac in an mp4 container :colbert:

Actually, that's a good point. I assume it's some other flavour of weirdo that's responsible for such things nowadays but now I'm (more or less) out of the computer-touching game I don't feel the need to keep my taxonomy up to date.