Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Blockhouse posted:

gonna be honest here this show is kind of making the other MCU shows look like amateur hour top to bottom

I thought FatWS was alright and I really enjoyed Wandavision, but Loki is on a whole other level for me. The TVA has big Brazil energy and I dig it, and Hiddleston so clearly loves the character that he’s a joy to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I read it as "magic" doesn't work at the TVA so the Infinity Stones don't either. Loki's reaction was realizing if the Infinity Stones had no power there then there's no way he was going to "power" his way out.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Maybe the villain in Loki modified the reset charges?

This is what I assumed, like she "reversed the polarity" or whatever

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

jng2058 posted:

We'll probably find out for sure on Wednesday, but my theory is that Lady Loki mass bombed the Time Keepers themselves out of existence. Or at least disabled them such that they're not currently able to help maintain the timeline at crucial weak points, hence everything blowing up all at once.

judging from the scene from Avengers Mobius paused on, Lady Loki's plan is to create an universe where Ashley Johnson's scenes in Avengers weren't cut.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

judging from the scene from Avengers Mobius paused on, Lady Loki's plan is to create an universe where Ashley Johnson's scenes in Avengers weren't cut.

Wait, they were cut? I rewatched Avengers 1 on Disney+ a few months ago and those scenes were definitely in the movie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Arist posted:

Wait, they were cut? I rewatched Avengers 1 on Disney+ a few months ago and those scenes were definitely in the movie.

She shot quite a bit more than what was in the film from what she's said.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Yeah it seemed clear Whedon was setting her up to be like a love interest for Cap or something and then she just has that line on TV at the end. I don't know maybe she was just supposed to be the avatar of normal people Whedon likes to cut to like the inexplicable Russian family in Justice League.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Yeah it seemed clear Whedon was setting her up to be like a love interest for Cap or something and then she just has that line on TV at the end. I don't know maybe she was just supposed to be the avatar of normal people Whedon likes to cut to like the inexplicable Russian family in Justice League.

Whedon added them. Snyder cut them back out.

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
So im up to the third season of legion now and uh

Holy poo poo drat i wish all x men poo poo that involves psychic powers would be like this. This show is so loving cool i hope any future x men stuff cribs from it heavily because i need x men to be cool and stylish as gently caress and really lean into the weirdness

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

theironjef posted:

Whedon added them. Snyder cut them back out.

“Cut to”, not “cut”

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Yeah, at the time Johnson really seemed to think she was going to be a Thing in the MCU but it never happened. She gets to play D&D for a living now and have people yell at her for The Last of Us games so she won in the end(?).

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, at the time Johnson really seemed to think she was going to be a Thing in the MCU but it never happened. She gets to play D&D for a living now and have people yell at her for The Last of Us games so she won in the end(?).

Not to mention several years as a supporting character on Blind Spot. It ain't superstardom, but it's still a pretty respectable career.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I mean she had a legitimate career when she was 7 or whatever so.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I mean she had a legitimate career when she was 7 or whatever so.

Would you say she had growing pains?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Dawgstar posted:

Would you say she had growing pains?

Yes, but she also had a Lionheart

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Latest episode of Loki was really good and I want to watch another.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Loki ep. 3

people were right that Variant-Loki is also the MCU version of Enchantress, they were just wrong about which Enchantress

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Prob the best looking a Marvel movie has ever looked. Lol that's it on television.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah this ep was great and I can't wait for the next. Brutal that there was no teaser or anything. I'm gonna be bugging on it for a week!

But yeah this show looks really nice and I'm glad some people who seem to actually give a drat about that are behind the camera

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Doctor Spaceman posted:

In Loki anybody else think that Mobius' comments about another agent (bringing back souvenirs etc) are references to another version of him?.

Liking this theory a lot after episode 3.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I feel like it's very inconsistent whether people remember Loki is meant to be way stronger and tougher than a human being even if he was getting swirlied by Thor on the reg as a kid.

I kind of take this back. Lots of awesome Loki action poo poo just taking people apart this week.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

ilikedirt posted:

So im up to the third season of legion now and uh

Holy poo poo drat i wish all x men poo poo that involves psychic powers would be like this. This show is so loving cool i hope any future x men stuff cribs from it heavily because i need x men to be cool and stylish as gently caress and really lean into the weirdness

I keep seeing people praise this show. Should I skip the first season? I tried watching it a couple years ago, but I couldn't stop my eyes rolling out of my head over the ridiculous moralizing over killing Vandal Savage or being unable to figure out how to kill him. There were no fun heists or anything.

No matter what, it'll have to wait because I'm rewatching the best super hero ensemble, Leverage

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Soonmot posted:

I keep seeing people praise this show. Should I skip the first season? I tried watching it a couple years ago, but I couldn't stop my eyes rolling out of my head over the ridiculous moralizing over killing Vandal Savage or being unable to figure out how to kill him. There were no fun heists or anything.

No matter what, it'll have to wait because I'm rewatching the best super hero ensemble, Leverage

I think ilikedirt is talking about Legion, not Legends of Tomorrow

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Napoleon Nelson posted:

I think ilikedirt is talking about Legion, not Legends of Tomorrow

Oh geeze, my eyes saw legends lololol.

My question still stands and I also need to watch Legion season 2

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yes, you can basically skip Legends s1 and go right into season 2 because not a lot carries over. You'll miss out later on when they bring back Vandal Savage for a joke but that's fine.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I loved that joke but I didn’t even realize it was him until a few minutes later. Seeing him smile just made him a different person in my head

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

Yes, you can basically skip Legends s1 and go right into season 2 because not a lot carries over. You'll miss out later on when they bring back Vandal Savage for a joke but that's fine.

Rip Hunter recruits the Hawkpeople, Captain Cold, and a bunch of other sidekicks and villains to take down Vandal Savage. That plot is wrapped up at the end of the first season and all those named characters basically disappear from the story.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

So what's the chances this Mega City One show actually gets made?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Sgt. Politeness posted:

So what's the chances this Mega City One show actually gets made?

Oh, is there news? They announced that a while ago and I haven't heard anything since.

So, uh... based on that I'm gonna say 25%.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I would encourage everyone in this thread to watch the first half of this week's episode of Superman & Lois. You don't need to have seen any other Arrowverse stuff or even previous episodes of S&L. Its just a really good retelling of the Superman origin story and his relationship with Lois. One change from the status quo I really liked was that they made it so Lois falls in love with Clark, not Superman.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

I would encourage everyone in this thread to watch the first half of this week's episode of Superman & Lois. You don't need to have seen any other Arrowverse stuff or even previous episodes of S&L. Its just a really good retelling of the Superman origin story and his relationship with Lois. One change from the status quo I really liked was that they made it so Lois falls in love with Clark, not Superman.

Agreed. Wasn’t really sure we were seeing some of the background scenes we saw in the pilot (What’s this, a clip show?), but it’s a nice encapsulation of their entire relationship, and the in-story reason for why we are seeing all this isn’t necessary to enjoy that.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

That is a very good change.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The best part is Lois tells her friend she loves Clark while Superman is within earshot. it's a lovely scene where he finds out she isn't interested in the guy who can move mountains, she wants the average guy who she's been working with.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Klungar posted:

Agreed. Wasn’t really sure we were seeing some of the background scenes we saw in the pilot (What’s this, a clip show?), but it’s a nice encapsulation of their entire relationship, and the in-story reason for why we are seeing all this isn’t necessary to enjoy that.
There were a couple of brief segments that had been in the pilot (Clark's introduction to Lois and the car rescue) and even those were expanded versions of those pilot scenes. Everything else was new AFAIK. I agree with the previous posters that this was a great depiction of their relationship. And I agree that you don't need to know the in-story reason for presenting it, but I think on the reverse side exploring the development and importance of that relationship to Clark at this point in the arc really did a great job of building the contrast between him and Edge.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Peyote Panda posted:

There were a couple of brief segments that had been in the pilot (Clark's introduction to Lois and the car rescue) and even those were expanded versions of those pilot scenes.

Sure, just saying before I knew the actual conceit of the episode, I thought that maybe COVID had forced them to reuse a bunch of footage from the pilot + new scenes to save budget/fill a gap in the production schedule. Obviously, it didn't turn out to be what was going on.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

In Loki anybody else think that Mobius' comments about another agent (bringing back souvenirs etc) are references to another version of him?.

I thought that was fairly obivious?

Also, that song does not work with the end credits at all.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Based on Mobius' fascination with jet skis and the revelation he had a real life before being recruited/kidnapped into the TVA I like to imagine in his life he was basically Hansel from Zoolander.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It was only brought up briefly, so I don't think it's a spoiler, but can someone explain The Eradicator to me, because I literally only know it from when it was pretending to be Superman during The Death and Return from the 90s, but even based on that I know it had more history and was a Superman villain.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Skwirl posted:

It was only brought up briefly, so I don't think it's a spoiler, but can someone explain The Eradicator to me, because I literally only know it from when it was pretending to be Superman during The Death and Return from the 90s, but even based on that I know it had more history and was a Superman villain.

It’s an ancient alien device tasked with protecting Kryptonian life but it does so it monkey-paw fashion by altering dna and killing them if they leave Krypton. It winds up on Warworld and Superman is bestowed it and it tries to make him fascist so he throws it into the sun, but it uses solar energy to build a humanoid body on Earth that Superman also destroys. When Superman dies, the Fortress of Solitude robots reactivate Eradicator and make it retrieve Clark’s corpse, then use his dna to build a body for it but it gets confused and thinks it is Superman and thus the sunglass wearing stand-in we all know. When it realizes the truth of what it is, it sacrifices itself to fully restore Superman.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
So that's what the season finally will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I noticed on my cable guide last night the description for Harley Quinn (the cartoon) on Showtime Canada is “a newly single woman deals with life in the big city”.

That’s pretty great, who writes those? The channel? The show?