Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Anno posted:

I just don’t think the game had a class that I can really get invested in. I like playing utility/buffing/debuffing type classes, which I think just don’t exist in MMOs anymore. I like tanking, too, but I’m really just over running the current conception of instances.

dancer buffs one guy's dps permanently as long as you keep your rotation going and everyone in your party for 20 seconds every 2 minutes. it also has a small aoe heal every minute and a 10% shield every 2 minutes

it's not a 100% support class (every class in ff14 is primarily a dps though), but playing well can really help out your group

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Anno posted:

I just don’t think the game had a class that I can really get invested in. I like playing utility/buffing/debuffing type classes, which I think just don’t exist in MMOs anymore. I like tanking, too, but I’m really just over running the current conception of instances.

It's a bit of a twist but if you look at the larger game you can "buff" with crafting more than other games because crafting is an actual class rather than a side activity, with the collection of materials having its own system and minigames.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

If it's an optional fun experience you're gathering a group of friends to play together.
If it's a mandatory progression dungeon you're just yelling at the side of the street until enough icons show up in your party menu for you to go collect your xp and leveling gear (and there should just be a party finder or matchmaking system instead)

Exactly

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

drat talk about buffers brought up lost memories of me wandering around in lineage 2 and seeing the buffers hanging around towns and I thought they were so cool :allears: sometimes they would throw me some low level ones for free

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's a bit of a twist but if you look at the larger game you can "buff" with crafting more than other games because crafting is an actual class rather than a side activity, with the collection of materials having its own system and minigames.

Yeah the crafting and gathering professions are some of my favorite parts of the game. If there was one thing from FFXIV I’d make every game have it’s that. I wish there was more of a sense of going out adventuring to find rare materials to craft rare items, but maybe that does happen later. Either way I enjoy tinkering with crafting a lot.

Truga posted:

(every class in ff14 is primarily a dps)

I think that’s really my issue. Most abilities are tailored towards damage, but the rotations seem pretty straight forward, so there’s no real choice or variety in anything. Like if I could play a dancer that could be built to do relatively little damage but have a lot of options for powerful buffs and debuffs it’d be awesome.

Xun posted:

drat talk about buffers brought up lost memories of me wandering around in lineage 2 and seeing the buffers hanging around towns and I thought they were so cool :allears: sometimes they would throw me some low level ones for free

Hell yeah. The first time some random Druid in EQ gave me a SoW, some regen and a damage shield outside of Qeynos I suddenly felt like I’d ascended from a peasant to godhood. Suddenly I was very fast, killed stuff a lot more quickly, had much less downtime etc. It was awesome.

Anno fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 20, 2021

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah its kind of insane how many new players are in FFXIV. i did an 8 man trial (mini raidboss thing) earlier and 6 of the 8 were newbies, for one of the 2nd expansion ones.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I haven’t played FFXIV in like five years (shortly after Heavensward) but I’ve been kind of wanting to jump in again. Is on boarding for returning players any good?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

fadam posted:

I haven’t played FFXIV in like five years (shortly after Heavensward) but I’ve been kind of wanting to jump in again. Is on boarding for returning players any good?

Depends on what you're looking for.

If you primarily want to keep on getting to endgame: it's good, there's tutorials and support and all

If you primarily want to catch back up on the story: difficult, will probably have to replay it with new game plus, but at least you don't need to make a new character

if you just want to try it out: kinda oof since the free trial requires you make a new account specifically for it, if you've ever bought the game you Own The Game

that said, depending on how deep you got into heavensward, things might not be so bad jumping back in straight up. the game is always very patient with people who want to take the time to see all the content as they level

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Anno posted:

dancer was a decent suggestion for dps but have you been able to try Astrologian for healing yet? their buffs are very simple damage ups but keeping the plate spinning on them can be pretty engaging.

generally in ffxiv there's buffs and debuffs but responsibility for them is spread pretty thin across all roles. tanks and ranged can interrupt, casters have an ability that lowers int/mind, melee have an ability to lower str/dex, ranged have a solid raid-wide defense buff. there are job specials here and there too; ninjas' trick attack is a vulnerability up debuff that is so important other jobs have entire rotations designed around it, astrologians have the card system mentioned earlier

ffxiv definitely lacks a pure support differentiated from a healer, though, there's nothing like what you could do with, say, mesmer in GW1. there's just not room in the design space that they decided on for the game

Anno
May 10, 2017

CYBEReris posted:

there's just not room in the design space that they decided on for the game

Yeah, I've kind of just accepted that's pretty normal not just in 14 but most MMOs these days. I hope someone finds a way to make utility/support roles, I dunno, "fun" or whatever, sometime soon. GW2 does a good job with it I think but that's about it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
see, that's my problem with gw2. when i'm doing dedicated healing, that also means i have to change builds if i want to do any damage at all

in good rpgs, casters are best at everything!!!1

Anno
May 10, 2017

Truga posted:

see, that's my problem with gw2. when i'm doing dedicated healing, that also means i have to change builds if i want to do any damage at all

You should be happy classes have a good number of build options! That's not a given, sadly.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am a bard and I shoot with a harp and feel bad about that.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mister Olympus posted:

it's a real slow burn. best advice is really to treat it like a book and do it in chill-out mode until the hype sneaks up on you

gently caress books, this is a Naruto length anime with a chat box filled with people watching it alongside you.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Truga posted:

Or at the very least, can do wandbonks

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

kirbysuperstar posted:

Or at the very least, can do wandbonks

my favourite thing is still the good ol' scholar book whack in ff14

... and how it was enough damage in early ARR that not doing it tanked your dps by a couple % because whacking for 50 damage every now and then between casts when your dps is sub 500 is pretty significant lol

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I just tried playing Final Fantasy XI for the first time ever for a few hours and it was...not that good.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

I just tried playing Final Fantasy XI for the first time ever for a few hours and it was...not that good.

To actually enjoy XI in TYOOL 2021 you really need two things:

1) Windower, which has a bunch of addons that help with QOL.

2) A controller, the kbm layout is incredibly terrible and it's a pain in the rear end to rebind anything.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Ibblebibble posted:

2) A controller, the kbm layout is incredibly terrible and it's a pain in the rear end to rebind anything.

and

3) a really hosed up brain

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

and

3) a really hosed up brain

yeah I love XI

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

Is this the "RuneLite" of Final Fantasy XI?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I got my brother hooked on EQ back in the day and his next game was FFXI. During the height of the pandemic I played for a night on a private server with some pals and it blows my mind he was able to play it regularly and for as long as he did (he played on PC).

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Mister Olympus posted:

Depends on what you're looking for.

If you primarily want to keep on getting to endgame: it's good, there's tutorials and support and all

If you primarily want to catch back up on the story: difficult, will probably have to replay it with new game plus, but at least you don't need to make a new character

if you just want to try it out: kinda oof since the free trial requires you make a new account specifically for it, if you've ever bought the game you Own The Game

that said, depending on how deep you got into heavensward, things might not be so bad jumping back in straight up. the game is always very patient with people who want to take the time to see all the content as they level

There's a story book inside inn rooms that lets you rewatch cutscenes so you don't have to replay stuff via new game plus.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

OhFunny posted:

There's a story book inside inn rooms that lets you rewatch cutscenes so you don't have to replay stuff via new game plus.

just watching cutscenes isn't going to give the full story experience though, so much is done within solo duties and incidental dialogue. especially if you're taking the time to talk to everyone during quests. going through the cutscenes in order without context for the "go here do this" feels super disjointed and frankly not really fun or the same experience, just look at praetorium before the changes.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 21, 2021

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Looks like there is another MMO coming to the market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3JcpTN6fUk

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I got my brother hooked on EQ back in the day and his next game was FFXI. During the height of the pandemic I played for a night on a private server with some pals and it blows my mind he was able to play it regularly and for as long as he did (he played on PC).

FFXI rules, what's the issue? I mean its tough but so is EQ.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The controls are loving awful on PC.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

FFXI was great for its time, but by today's standards it's pretty awful and I really doubt I could ever go back to it. But I sunk thousands of hours into that game way back in the day.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Groovelord Neato posted:

The controls are loving awful on PC.

Also applies to EQ lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

EQ controls aren't great but they're in another universe from FFXI using KBM. It was very clearly supposed to be used with a controller when I played it. I guess I just assumed they gave it somewhat workable controls (like EQ) when they ported it and that's what my brother had been playing.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 21, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I always played with a keyboard back in the day, never once with a controller. So I disagree there.

The problem with it though is it is designed to be played with an num pad and my current keyboard doesn't have one.

FFXIV feels more "made for controller" than FFXI to me.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

FFXI works great with a controller.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

FFXI works great with a controller.

Oh for sure, the discussion here is whether its controller-first and keyboard is unplayable or not.

Its on PS2 and xbox after all.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

There's an addon for FFXI that gives it XIV-style hotbars and junk and it's a lot funner than you'd think!

UI/UX for most things went through some... growing pains.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

jokes posted:

UI/UX for most things went through some... growing pains.

be with you in a moment, I'm scrolling through two separate currency menus to figure out how many domain invasion points I have

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is this the "RuneLite" of Final Fantasy XI?

Pretty much, yeah. I found a mod that puts in an XIV-style controller crossbar and it's great. Game's still a pain in the rear end sometimes. Hope you like a lot of game day waits.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh for sure, the discussion here is whether its controller-first and keyboard is unplayable or not.

Its on PS2 and xbox after all.

Oh I didn't mean it's totally unplayable - it clearly isn't since my brother played it for an ungodly amount of time. But it's like KBM Dark Souls. People have beat it that way but it sucks poo poo compared to using a controller.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
If I recall correctly, much of the ui for ffxi cannot be clicked on

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

Oh I didn't mean it's totally unplayable - it clearly isn't since my brother played it for an ungodly amount of time. But it's like KBM Dark Souls. People have beat it that way but it sucks poo poo compared to using a controller.

Nah I disagree, Souls is an action game where having good controls really really loving matters. FFXI combat is pretty slow paced at best, and you rarely have more than like 3 monsters around to target.

Souls is better on controller than M/KB because you need two thumbsticks to play properly, or you're at a disadvantage. M/KB is better for FPS because you need mouse accuracy and with controller you're at a disadvantage.

FFXI you're not at a disadvantage, its just maybe slightly more cumbersome to navigate. But again, I literally have never played FFXI with a controller, I used a keyboard for literal years, and had no issue at all.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

If I recall correctly, much of the ui for ffxi cannot be clicked on

Yeah pretty sure you're right about this. But you just have to navigate through them and since they're designed to be navigated on a controller pressing keyboard buttons and pressing controller buttons is really about the same.

The only disadvantage is the buttons on the keyboard aren't laid out quite as comfortably as a controller.

But yeah, FFXI is less "mouse and keyboard" and more "keyboard and keyboard". WoW is much more mouse-driven by comparison. But again, you're not at an inherent disadvantage like in Souls.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Every time I get sucked into Final Fantasy XI and thinking "man I may sub and even make this my main MMO" it does something incredibly stupid. Like I had to go to a dungeon that wasn't marked on the map for some reason to change a solutions color. I thought I had to take a sample or something but looking at the wiki turns out I had to stand in some random geysher. And when it changed color it didn't notify me at all. But I got lost and couldn't find the entrance and the exit (if there was one) is filled with strong enemies that would kill me right away. So the only way out was to have myself get killed by enemies. Yet the solution stayed changed despite me not completing the dungeon.

What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Actually it owns when I go press a nondescript button at the start of Ru'Avitau so my friend who's doing the Zilart missions can get through a yellow gate on a different map.