Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Veotax posted:

Because every time people talk about Snider it just ends up being the same circular argument.

It's a loving trapezoid at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It's really difficult to have a good faith discussion about him. It almost immediately descends into people arguing past each other about things no one actually said.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

An Objectivist gave us Spider-Man. Point in their favour.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Lobok posted:

An Objectivist gave us Spider-Man. Point in their favour.

With great power comes absolutely no responsibility.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

Oh yes, I recall the replacement was just wonderful!

Wright was yeeted out of Ant-Man, from what I recall...

And how often do we talk about him here? Never. Checks out.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Veotax posted:

Because every time people talk about Snider it just ends up being the same circular argument.

I would personally hate BSS going the Cinema Discusso way with their 4 or 5 Snyder threads, endless slap fights and insta-hate on anything with the Marvel brand. Even the goddamn poster thread went to hell, lol

BUT anyways subject change. Any news or leaks on the new stuff for this year?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Desperado Bones posted:

I would personally hate BSS going the Cinema Discusso way with their 4 or 5 Snyder threads, endless slap fights and insta-hate on anything with the Marvel brand.

I enjoy the Marvel brand. Would you like to write positively about it?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I enjoy the Marvel brand. Would you like to write positively about it?

Aren't you banned from BSS?

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 19, 2021

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Iron Man 2 is pretty aight.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Why are you back

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

I tend to care about when people are part of “cabals” that want me dead.

But I’m not seeing strong evidence being posted that Snyder is an objectivist, just that he makes bad movies that misunderstand the source material and that he apparently wants to do it again.

What was this "strong evidence" on the other thing?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

NieR Occomata posted:

He’s a self-proclaimed Objectivist. He doesn’t “indisputably rock” as a person unless you think that thinking that poor people are worthless parasites who deserve death on account of being poor is a cool worldview to have.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Would a proponent of the virtue of selfishness be in favor of reciprocating oral sex?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Only if it were the only way for them to receive oral sex, and the lack of oral sex would negatively effect their life.

Anyone remember that Iron Man letters column from like the seventies or eighties where the letter writer proposed that Tony Stark, as an industrialist, should be an objectivist, and the only people he should be concerned about saving are Pepper and Happy because the loss of one of them may effect his ability to run his company?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Open Marriage Night posted:

Anyone remember that Iron Man letters column from like the seventies or eighties where the letter writer proposed that Tony Stark, as an industrialist, should be an objectivist, and the only people he should be concerned about saving are Pepper and Happy because the loss of one of them may effect his ability to run his company?

That’s already the character. “Proof that Tony Stark has a heart”, and all that.

After Stan Lee basically invented the character to troll hippies, the premise of Iron Man in the movies - and therefore of the entire MCU - is that he’s an objectivist/libertarian who, when inevitably confronted with the limitations and failings of his ideology, just keeps doubling down in various ways. After multiple situations where he is forced to choose between dying or killing several million people, his ultimate conclusion is that he could have avoided these situations completely if he had just libertarian’d harder.

Iron Man 2 is the best at illustrating this, with the subplot where Stark wants to donate tech with the US government even though this would violate his libertarian principles, so he pretends to be a drunken lunatic so the government will be forced to confiscate it. The whole point of the act is to disguise the power relationship where, in actuality, Stark is exerting an even greater influence over the US government. Things then enter a holding pattern where Stark doesn’t really change at all, so the external threats instead become increasingly insane as we escalate from deep state commu-nazi conspiracy to whatever the gently caress’s going on with Thano.

So if we’re talking about escaping into Marvel to avoid an objectivist Hollywood cabal that’s plotting to murder you, personally, then, my condolences. But at least Iron Man 2 is a functional satire that has the gumption to directly confront Iron Man with Lower-Class Man, in keeping with Lee’s original vision.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVMib1T4T4

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

I have them on ignore lol

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I like the movies!

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Mr Hootington posted:

I like the movies!

Hey! Me too!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Desperado Bones posted:

I have them on ignore lol

SA should have him on ignore.

Hellban SMG.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I am here to write positively about the Marvel brand - particularly the Marvel Studios brand, which is centered around libertarian superhero Iron Man.

I enjoy the films very much.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It is interesting that the Spidermen character, co-created by famous randian Steve Ditko, is made directly into Iron Man’s sidekick in the Marvel Studios films.

I do not believe there is any objectivist conspiracy at work, to be clear. I believe that the writers simply picked up on the thematic connection.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

SA should have him on ignore.

Hellban SMG.

It's the only rational solution, and if Jeffery was an objectivist it would already be done because it's negatively effecting his business. Ayn Rand was right.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Iron Man’s major “claim to fame” is a refined version of the infinite energy motor from Atlas Shrugged.

Iron Man is directly compared to Elon Musk.

That is very interesting, to me.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

SMG: Stop posting.

Everyone else: Stop posting about posters.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Yeah and then Iron Man fought his friends on behalf of government oversight, very Libertarian of him.

Why am I responding....

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
lmao.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Everyone else: Stop posting about posters.

I had a 10,000 essay about Lobok written WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO NOW

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/Unphiltereddd/status/1406647710300598274

Supergirl in the Flash movie.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The TV costume is so much better.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

SMG's read of Iron Man as a libertarian objectivist is interesting.

We all know Tony is the main villain of the mcu so it lines up!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Codependent Poster posted:

The TV costume is so much better.

The fake abs are pretty bad.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Oblivious posted:

I tend to care about when people are part of “cabals” that want me dead.

But I’m not seeing strong evidence being posted that Snyder is an objectivist, just that he makes bad movies that misunderstand the source material and that he apparently wants to do it again.
Snyder is a slightly less lovely Michael Bay.

That's it. That's the fact.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Wark Say posted:

Sounds about right

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

When is the next movie? I would like to see Suicide squad or black widow soon.

I do hope black widow is good and the red guardian doesn't die. He is totally dead.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Wark Say posted:

Other than transformers Michael Bay is usually good to great.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

I do hope black widow is good and the red guardian doesn't die. He is totally dead.

The next super hero movie is our next week: Fast 9

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Black Widow is out in like three weeks I think? Early July, in the UK at least.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I will have to fill my time with the original super hero film: the western.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Yeah, Black Widow will be on D+ as premium content as well.