Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Southpaugh posted:

Obviously.

I giggled far too much at this.

It's been said a million times but watch Annos Shin Godzilla it loving rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qX1ZU3jcfU

I'm super excited for Shin Ultraman and Shin Kamen Rider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The Hathaway movie loving rocked. Classic Tomino.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Isekai but your transported into the body of a doddering president with dementia. Accidentally killing your dog, not signing climate agreements because your too anxious, etc.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
I accidentally died and became the most powerful demon king, but now I have dementia?!?!

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

is evangelion actually good or is it just a meme thing?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 27 days!)

My Son Is Addicted To Crack But Now I'm The President!?

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

The Voice of Labor posted:

it's not bad to watch but I don't think there was any deep thought put into like any of its various endings and it's not that coherent

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

Casey Finnigan posted:

it's not bad to watch but I don't think there was any deep thought put into like any of its various endings and it's not that coherent

lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Evangelion is a mecha fight show except they've got blood n teeth. P cool imo. The talking was boring af. Idgaf bout that twerp.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

I love digimon tamers

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
if i were shinji i would have just left everyone in the goop and stayed in the goop

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I heard a take once that the end of Eva proper is shinji coming out of the goop and deciding he wants to live edit that one time after he is subsumed into the lcl and I like that take a lot, but also I've decided that any time someone talks about it I'm just going to talk about digimon tamers instead

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
the only digimon i saw was the one with the girl who had the giant pink hat

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Casey Finnigan posted:

the only digimon i saw was the one with the girl who had the giant pink hat

Thats the first one, tamers is the third one and by the end is basically Eva for kids

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

It is very good.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
I like chainsaw man because the government is shown to be just as dangerous as the devils and the pocchi is cute

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
chainsaw man is a story about the power of dogs

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

Casey Finnigan posted:

chainsaw man is a story about the power of dogs

To be fair Power is basically a cat and p. cool (not as a cool as pocchi)

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

It rules. Anno started off making a kind of revisionist mecha show and it got way out of hand its great really. I think each ending has its own substance to it but gently caress if End of Evangelion doesn't have one of the best battles in any anime ever.

Edit: I think the rebuilds are loving nutso and not worth your time.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Ulta posted:

I like chainsaw man because the government is shown to be just as dangerous as the devils and the pocchi is cute

I have mostly nothing but bullshit to do for the next few months and it’s bumming me out that the anime isn’t coming out until like November or something

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

It's a fascinating mess made by a team of astonishingly talented people. The direction alone is incredible. Give it a watch.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
yeah watch the originals then end of evangelion
then if you still want more go watch the rebuild movies

i dont really get why people didnt like EoE, it pays off pretty much everything that is set up in the series

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
eva gave us a ton of sweet nu metal amvs so that's a win

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Its legit very good but its not for everyone, gets super depressing, has some real :wtf: moments, and has one of the creepiest anime fanbases which is really saying something

Its a very, very cspam show though, and like what was said above it was made by some very talented people and has some absolutely legendary fights (especially the one in EoE)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Chainsaw man is good and it's only like 80 chapters.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

HootTheOwl posted:

Chainsaw man is good and it's only like 80 chapters.

He's doing a sequel I heard

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Eva is absolutely worth watching. It's incredible and even if you don't dig it you can probably find something to respect about it since it has been hugely influential in so many ways.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Even if you dont enjoy evangelion you should still probably watch it because of the impact it had on the medium. Unless of course you are completely bereft of any time at all.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Murase directed the new hathaway movie and it rocks
what a crazy beautiful looking flick

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Honest Thief posted:

eva gave us a ton of sweet nu metal amvs so that's a win

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Southpaugh posted:

It rules. Anno started off making a kind of revisionist mecha show and it got way out of hand its great really. I think each ending has its own substance to it but gently caress if End of Evangelion doesn't have one of the best battles in any anime ever.

Edit: I think the rebuilds are loving nutso and not worth your time.

The rebuilds are worth your time for just how nutso* they are. Also they have great animation. And it’s the same continuity. They aren’t remakes.

*So crazy that the craziness extends to the real world. It’s rumored (and there is some evidence) that the 4th one has been done for over a year (which it has but COVID delayed its release), translated into English (and other languages), and has just been sitting on Amazon’s servers waiting for some database flag to be marked “available” but studio Khara doesn’t want to release it. There is also the time studio Khara wanted the entire third movie retranslated because some exec misinterpreted English speaking fan reaction.

Feldegast42 posted:

Its legit very good but its not for everyone, gets super depressing, has some real :wtf: moments, and has one of the creepiest anime fanbases which is really saying something

Its a very, very cspam show though, and like what was said above it was made by some very talented people and has some absolutely legendary fights (especially the one in EoE)

EoE is also great for how over the top it is. It feels like someone trying to parody EoE having only read the Wikipedia summary and seeing a few grainy clips
on YouTube, except that’s the actual movie.

I wouldn’t say it’s very CSpam though. Or at least it’s not very leftist in a “It’s easier to imagine the end of the world (and maybe getting some relief from your depression, but probably not) than the end of capitalism” kind of way.

Now Umurangi Generation is literally CSpam + Eva + Pokemon Snap**. Go play it, it’s amazing.

** It’s a much, much better photography game than New Pokemon Snap. Nintendo should be embarrassed that they were outdone by a game made largely by a single person.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

eva is not leftist but it's incredibly good. Anno is an incredible director and the entire series, from the original to EoE to the Rebuilds, is an act of love.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Pulcinella posted:

I wouldn’t say it’s very CSpam though. Or at least it’s not very leftist in a “It’s easier to imagine the end of the world (and maybe getting some relief from your depression, but probably not) than the end of capitalism” kind of way.

It's not the end of the world. It's just the end of individual human society as everyone merges into one collective whole.

SRW had the best Evangelion ending.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

an actual dog posted:

eva is not leftist but it's incredibly good. Anno is an incredible director and the entire series, from the original to EoE to the Rebuilds, is an act of love.

eva is very hegelian but I agree -- definitely not marxist

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

KaptainKrunk posted:

eva is very hegelian but I agree -- definitely not marxist

haha yeah

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 27 days!)

watching Evangelion became a normie thing because of the pandemic, so if you don't watch it you'll never get all the Komm Susser Todd references

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Pulcinella posted:

The rebuilds are worth your time for just how nutso* they are. Also they have great animation. And it’s the same continuity. They aren’t remakes.

I'm going to rewatch them whenever the last one rears its head - but I remember the pacing being confounding.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I think <big robot anime name> is <type of leftist politics>.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Well there's always Dougram.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

net work error posted:

I think <big robot anime name> is <type of leftist politics>.

IBO is incredibly left-pessimist.