Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

multijoe posted:

If you think about it the Switch is just a very, very mega 64

It's not until they release GoldenEye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Idiot Kong

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Harrow posted:

Quick update: Mega64 has agreed to be the thread IK for this here Switch thread. Thanks for agreeing to watch over the thread!

I'm sorry everyone

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
N64 was bad unlike the Switch.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

thats fine but can u put your av back to the good one

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Stux posted:

thats fine but can u put your av back to the good one

I dunno. That's how I feel every time my wife forces me to play Monopoly.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

yeah honestly the n64 aged like decade old milk.

like the only games from that system I consider good are Starfox 64 and Ocarina of Time and both of those got vastly improved 3DS ports.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I mean Super Mario 64 is still a blast to play but you can easily do that on Switch now

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
All the Bomberman games were good and the two Treasure games are still fun but not much else outside of Nintendo’s stuff

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I just bought Digimon Cyber Sleuth story (on Steam in fact but I saw someone mention it in thread) and I think it was the "complete" version that has a side story. Anyway in the game there's a woman outside the detective agency handing out "bonus content" in the form of Digimon. Is this extra content that wasn't in the original because I keep thinking of just deleting them because I want the fun of discovering the evolutions myself or should I not do that?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the n64 has plenty of great games!!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Oh a chameleon twist 2 is great and is overlooked imo

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."

Prurient Squid posted:

I just bought Digimon Cyber Sleuth story (on Steam in fact but I saw someone mention it in thread) and I think it was the "complete" version that has a side story. Anyway in the game there's a woman outside the detective agency handing out "bonus content" in the form of Digimon. Is this extra content that wasn't in the original because I keep thinking of just deleting them because I want the fun of discovering the evolutions myself or should I not do that?

I haven't finished the game, but a lot of them don't seem to have pre-evolutions. I could be wrong, im only like 5 chapters in but at least the ones you get from that lady seem like special/unique. (assuming you're talking about all of the 'mecha' digimon that look sort of human)

i feel like we should have a mega list of games you should get when they go on sale. or im addicted to wanting to buy games but don't because a lot seem boring per screenshots.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The list of bad Nintendo consoles and the list of Nintendo consoles that didn't have an original Metroid title released for them are the same list.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

The list of bad Nintendo consoles and the list of Nintendo consoles that didn't have an original Metroid title released for them are the same list.

:hmmno:

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

I haven't finished the game, but a lot of them don't seem to have pre-evolutions. I could be wrong, im only like 5 chapters in but at least the ones you get from that lady seem like special/unique. (assuming you're talking about all of the 'mecha' digimon that look sort of human)

i feel like we should have a mega list of games you should get when they go on sale. or im addicted to wanting to buy games but don't because a lot seem boring per screenshots.

I really like Cyber Sleuth Story. It's a ripoff of everything and I love it. I've ignored it every sale since the Vita days and I realise that was totally wrong. Also Kowloon really feels like Walled City from William Gibson stories.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I won't say the N64 was a bad console, but the lack of 3rd party developer support did make me broaden my gamer horizons a bit and get a PS1 so I could play games like FF7 and Gran Turismo. The Switch is good because I can play FF7 on the go.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 20, 2021

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The switch will finally be good on October 8th, 2021 upon the release of 2021's game of the year, Metroid Dread, exclusively on the Nintendo Switch.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mega64 posted:

I'm sorry everyone

We know.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Prurient Squid posted:

I think they’re chibi versions of some big boys

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Dabir posted:

Alright, I assumed wrong then.

One thing I will agree on though is the default controls are pretty loving rear end. Like who the hell uses X to shoot on a SNES Controller?!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
thread that routinely says xenoblade 2 is a good game: "yeah the n64 sucked"

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I finally finished Mario + Rabbids after a long pause. I'd only done the first world years ago, did the rest of it over the weekend.

This is a fun game and easily one of the better Ubisoft ones in a long while, although I thought all the worlds could be a lot shorter. Either that or spice up some of the more boring combat sections with more unique mechanics, that's where the game shines. The overworld exploration is also kinda lame - sure, there's puzzles to solve but the rewards are almost always junk collectibles instead of upgrades.

The combat is really good for how simple it is and it's possible to string together long combos where you're killing off a bunch of enemies in one turn when all the pieces fall into place. It's not hugely difficult overall but you do need to take care when positioning characters into cover and keep track of how enemies might move on the next turn. Some enemy types will punish harshly for mistakes.

After I finished the story, a new tier of ultimate challenges opens up. I'd done some of the optional easier ones to grind for coins and skills, but I took a look at these ultimate ones and decided I'd had my fill of this game. The first one dumps you into a battleground full of boss enemies, gives you 10 turns and the only real cover are trap boxes that explode. That isn't fun, it's pain. The others were insane death gauntlets.

I have high hopes for the sequel.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Bleck posted:

thread that routinely says xenoblade 2 is a good game: "yeah the n64 sucked"

xenoblade 2 is a good game, and the n64 was a good console.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

How can the n64 be good if it didn't have Xenoblade 2.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
All video games are good, unless they're games I don't like in which case they are bad.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
How can Xenoblade 2 be good if it wasn't on the n64.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The N64 was ambitious and had many stellar games but it’s difficult to go back and play any of them on the original console because of the horrendous draw distance and muddy textures. Same with a lot of PSX games. That doesn’t make them bad consoles, I think.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

How can Xenoblade 2 be good if it wasn't on the n64.

Wasn't it?

I've definitely found the N64 the toughest console to go back to. The most ambitious games do not run very well and yeah, the anti-aliasing has definitely aged badly.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

All video games are good, unless they're games I don't like in which case they are bad.

this but it's me. and, not yuo,.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

ErrEff posted:

I finally finished Mario + Rabbids after a long pause. I'd only done the first world years ago, did the rest of it over the weekend.

This is a fun game and easily one of the better Ubisoft ones in a long while, although I thought all the worlds could be a lot shorter. Either that or spice up some of the more boring combat sections with more unique mechanics, that's where the game shines. The overworld exploration is also kinda lame - sure, there's puzzles to solve but the rewards are almost always junk collectibles instead of upgrades.

The combat is really good for how simple it is and it's possible to string together long combos where you're killing off a bunch of enemies in one turn when all the pieces fall into place. It's not hugely difficult overall but you do need to take care when positioning characters into cover and keep track of how enemies might move on the next turn. Some enemy types will punish harshly for mistakes.

After I finished the story, a new tier of ultimate challenges opens up. I'd done some of the optional easier ones to grind for coins and skills, but I took a look at these ultimate ones and decided I'd had my fill of this game. The first one dumps you into a battleground full of boss enemies, gives you 10 turns and the only real cover are trap boxes that explode. That isn't fun, it's pain. The others were insane death gauntlets.

I have high hopes for the sequel.

Yeah this post is pretty much 100% correct. The between-mission exploratory parts really hosed with the game's pace and were the weakest point of the game imo, but the mission combat made it worthwhile. I hope they either scrap those sections in favor of something else (maybe base building? why not) or at least refine them. Let us control Mario; Beepo's lame. While we're at it, give us more freedom with the teams we assemble.

The Ultimate challenges are basically puzzles, you need to make specific moves in a specific order to beat them. Which comes down to a lot of trial and error. I didn't finish all of them either, it got tedious.

I thought the DLC was decent, but you only have the same 3 party members through it. Fortunately Donkey Kong has some interesting mechanics. Overall people here seemed to like the DLC better than I did.

I wonder if they're going to do amiibos for the sequel

The Postman
May 12, 2007

The N64 library isn't something I'm really compelled to explore, but there's plenty of titles I don't mind revisiting.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Is Rayman even featured in the Mario + Rabbids game? Its weird how the Rabbids have kind of taken off a life of their own and are basically just the video game version of Minions.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I think after RRR the Rabbids spun off completely into their own series. I think they only shared their first game with Rayman.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I dont recall Rayman being mentioned during the game, though there may have been references I missed. The rabbids are pretty much their own thing now with some kind of backstory (they possess a time traveling washing machine for some reason).

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Augus posted:

What’s cool is that the Fusion Suit’s slimmer design reflected the fact that Samus was more nimble. Meanwhile the SA-X basically moved around like Super Metroid Samus.

Dread seems to be moving forward with the idea that Samus reabsorbed the SA-X at the end of Fusion, so now her suit is a mixture of the slim, organic-looking Fusion suit with the traditional Power Suit. And she moves around very quickly and acrobatically like Fusion Samus but also has the strength of her Samus Returns self, countering enemies and kicking right through them.

hmm but she moves even better in zero mission (can infinite wall jump, for one thing). i reject this lore-based rationalization for the control differences.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mega64 glad you are IK can you tell me if Mega64 season 3 is any good? I got the first two on DVD and I saw 4's trailer the other day so maybe I should catch up.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Question, I saw that there was Zelda dlc sale on amazon so I bought it and tried to redeem it and whoops, turns out it was Breath of the Wild DLC and not Age of Calamity DLC. Is there any way to get a refund or am I gonna have to sell I to someone else to get some money back?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

The switch will finally be good on October 8th, 2021 upon the release of 2021's game of the year, Metroid Dread, exclusively on the Nintendo Switch.

Sorry you gotta wait until November for goty smt5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The N64 was ambitious and had many stellar games but it’s difficult to go back and play any of them on the original console because of the horrendous draw distance and muddy textures. Same with a lot of PSX games. That doesn’t make them bad consoles, I think.
Counterpoint, wave race 64 is perfection to this day