Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Powered Descent posted:

Here's an opinion that I can see is extremely unpopular, based on 90% of the cars on the road:

You're allowed to remove the license plate frame that names the dealership where you bought the car. Really, you don't have to give them free advertising everywhere you go for years and years and years. Two minutes of quality time with a screwdriver is all it takes to make your car not be somebody else's billboard.

Yeah, but it’s a socially acceptable and plausibly deniable means to make it slightly harder to read your plate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Josef bugman posted:

Also very much this. So much of adult fiction is, to put it bluntly, unutterable shite and depressed people looking out of windows that something a bit more fun seems like a blessed relief.

I've seen that take before from adults defending consuming almost exclusively children's media, and all it reveals that they still have a child's view of what media for adults is. Like, they think all movies that don't have superheroes or wizards in them are Revolutionary Road.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

"Guys you're doing it wrong, you're only allowed to like the things I like and everything else is dumb and for idiots!"

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Gripweed posted:

I've seen that take before from adults defending consuming almost exclusively children's media, and all it reveals that they still have a child's view of what media for adults is. Like, they think all movies that don't have superheroes or wizards in them are Revolutionary Road.

I mean I read a lot of none fiction, so that is more on me. But it seems a lot of the stuff that is always put in place when people contrast their tastes with YA is stuff like Infinite Jest or the works of Dostoevsky. Which I can appreciate, but don't think is particularly fun to read all the dang time.

I was overegging the pudding there though, sorry about that.

Though it does bring up an interesting question, what is "stuff for adults"? Every time it seems to have a different definition and it always seems to be "oppositional?" as in it only exists in opposition to things that are childish. It's like how "masculinity" in a lot of instances seems to define itself only by it's opposition to "feminine" things.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Josef bugman posted:

I mean I read a lot of none fiction, so that is more on me. But it seems a lot of the stuff that is always put in place when people contrast their tastes with YA is stuff like Infinite Jest or the works of Dostoevsky. Which I can appreciate, but don't think is particularly fun to read all the dang time.

I was overegging the pudding there though, sorry about that.

Though it does bring up an interesting question, what is "stuff for adults"? Every time it seems to have a different definition and it always seems to be "oppositional?" as in it only exists in opposition to things that are childish. It's like how "masculinity" in a lot of instances seems to define itself only by it's opposition to "feminine" things.

If it's got tits and swears in it, it's for adults. But I mean, yeah the definition of "stuff for adults" is going to be "anything that isn't for kids" because that's the criteria.

People who bring up ~fancy~ stuff for adults in that kind of discussion are just trying to make themselves sound like the most adult people in the room. Like, the two "for adults" movies I've watched recently are The Nice Guys and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Both great movies and very fun.

I hate the sad grownups looking out windows genre too. If I'm reading a book or movie synopsis and the phrase "still getting over a recent divorce" pops up, I'm out.

Gripweed has a new favorite as of 13:40 on Jun 20, 2021

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

But that seems, how to put this, it seems to be extraordinarily limitless for something that people get very cross about stuff "not being".

For me it's crime books and sexual menace. That or "professor contemplating adultery".

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I think it's both kind of sad to say "I only read LITERARY NOVELS and watch ART MOVIES for ADULTS, everything else is for CHILDREN", and also a sign of immaturity to say "Peppa Pig and Harry Potter are actually totally appropriate entertainment for the discerning childless 35 year old".

Josef bugman posted:

Young Adult media tend to have simple stories that teenagers can easily understand, and young characters for them to identify with. They also focus on plots that people in high school have some experience with, such as love triangles or evil authority figures.

Normal Adult media isn't a genre, it can be books on any topic with any kind of story and characters. I guess what makes them different from Young Adult media is that they require some understanding of adult life and its problems to really appreciate.

Of course, there are also books targeted at non-young adults that are basically wish fulfilment power fantasies, but someone who exclusively reads those would probably get much the same response as someone who sticks to YA. The main difference being that YA-only guy might be a pedo too.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The world is a lovely, stressful, terrifying place, and if an adult wants to relax and try to forget about how awful everything is by watching the space wizard in the magic box show up and save the day by waving his wand around, more power to them.

You gotta do what you gotta do to stay sane in this world.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, but you have to remember that the thing you like is stupid, whereas the thing I like is cool and for sexy adults.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Josef bugman posted:

But that seems, how to put this, it seems to be extraordinarily limitless for something that people get very cross about stuff "not being".

For me it's crime books and sexual menace. That or "professor contemplating adultery".

Yeah it is limitless, that's kind of the whole thing. It's anything that isn't created to be consumed by children. It can be film noir and rape and adultery, it can also be adventure and sci-fi and horror and romance. Pulp Fiction is a movie for adults, and so is The Shape of Water and Paths of Glory and Fargo and The Royal Tenenbaums and Alien and American Psycho and The Lure and Rocky Horror Picture Show and Goodfellas and Lake Mungo and The Straight Story and on and on and on. "Stuff for grownups" covers literally everything that isn't made primarily to entertain children.

That's why people who dismiss it all as boring look childish.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

pidan posted:

and also a sign of immaturity to say "Peppa Pig and Harry Potter are actually totally appropriate entertainment for the discerning childless 35 year old".

i'm not a fan of YA stuff (or Harry Potter or Peppa Pig for that matter, just to get that out of the way) but the judgmental nature of this statement kinda irks me. its like, yeah, some media will have more layers/themes/emotional complexity going on than other, but you can't judge a person by the media they consume without knowing anything else about that person

plus, people might get more out of the supposedly-simplistic, "immature" stuff that they're into than you. for example, i don't like Marvel cinematic universe at all - it doesn't do much for me, like at all. however, there's a great big bunch of people who find some kind of catharsis or emotional truth in these movies - judging by how engaged with them they get and by how much fanfic they write and all the theory-crafting and character analysis they do all over the place. so yeah, maybe they see something in there that i'm not seeing. maybe the source media acts more as a sort of a skeleton - simplistic and broad enough for people to latch onto and use the power of their imagination to build it up. i don't get it, but that doesn't make these people immature 35 year old childless sad pedos or whatever

not to be the "let people enjoy things" guy and all, but loving let people enjoy things without making some weird assumptions, come the gently caress on.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Vandar posted:

The world is a lovely, stressful, terrifying place, and if an adult wants to relax and try to forget about how awful everything is by watching the space wizard in the magic box show up and save the day by waving his wand around, more power to them.

You gotta do what you gotta do to stay sane in this world.

If you are a grown adult who almost exclusively consumes media about the magic man who waves his magic wand to save the planet from the wicked Oomlooks, you deserve some degree of mockery for it.

It doesn't mean you're a bad person, or dumb. Lots of people have things they do that are mockable.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The Oomlooks are allies of the Doctor, actually. :colbert:

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Gripweed posted:

If you are a grown adult who almost exclusively consumes media about the magic man who waves his magic wand to save the planet from the wicked Oomlooks, you deserve some degree of mockery for it.

It doesn't mean you're a bad person, or dumb. Lots of people have things they do that are mockable.

Yeah, exactly. You like what you like, and if I judged everyone who likes different things than I do I'd be here all day. But that doesn't mean I have to find every possible preference equally reasonable and good.

The reason I specified "childless" was because, of course, many adults like to watch or read children's media with their children, and there's obviously nothing wrong with that.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Gripweed posted:

I suppose that it's because, to some folks, there is no real difference between mockery and bullying.

Alongside that I think folks are raising valid arguments, it's just that I don't really feel comfortable going "gently caress you you possible pedo" for, well, watching stuff that isn't what I like?

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
i mean, there's a difference between liking/not liking/critically engaging with media and judging/mocking people based on their preferences in media

phuo: people should absolutely not be mocked for anything that is not harmful behaviour or abuse of power on their part or real-world-consequential stuff like that. media preferences are not nearly good enough reason for mockery, and if you find yourself trying to justify making fun of someone on that basis, or making lists which media is appropriate to whom and then mocking people based on that or whatever, you should probably reconsider.

e:

Josef bugman posted:

I suppose that it's because, to some folks, there is no real difference between mockery and bullying.

is there, really?

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
It's okay to like anything you want so long as you don't spend any energy at all trying to convince me I should like it too.

I am old enough to refuse to give a poo poo about what you like or pretend to care about it if I don't like it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

nurmie posted:

is there, really?

That's kind of a big question. To me I'm not sure there is that much of a difference really. Making fun of people always seems really sad, or born out of frustration with them.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I tried and I just can't bring myself to give a poo poo about the dealership plate holder thing

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I've read the harry potter novels more times than I can even remember (i'd guess at least a dozen, probably around 15), and I'm perfectly fine with being mocked for it, nobody should read things that many times over. Same with the dark tower (even more times) which isn't exactly "YA" but it's not considered to be haute literature either. Sometimes (well, almost all the times) I just want to read something I know I like instead of risking reading something I don't like. Plus when you get that familiar with them you can know in advance which parts are OK to skim through.

also I still have the dealership thing on my license plate. I could easily remove it, but i've never cared enough to bring my screw driver out and do it.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Gripweed posted:

"Stuff for grownups" covers literally everything that isn't made primarily to entertain children.

That's why people who dismiss it all as boring look childish.

True, but nobody ever means Fury Road, Independence Day or Gladiator when they're talking about how people need to watch Movies For Adults.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
I’m nearly 30 and near exclusively watch animated stuff because I’m an artist/animator and I like cartoons :shrug: My adhd plays a part too since live action stuff generally doesn’t hold my attention as well (unless there’s like, an actor I like looking at, or ladies in love in the case of Fried Green Tomatoes). Not to say I absolutely can’t watch it, but I’m more likely to want to do other things at the same time whilst watching so that I’m actually able to pay attention.

As for a PHUO: roast beef/pork sucks

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think liking whatever is fine but the number of people who put their Hogwarts house in their dating app bio or claim that any indistinguishable CG background from a Marvel movie is a masterpiece of cinematography are why fans are broadly (and IMO accurately) branded as immature.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Butt Detective posted:

I’m nearly 30 and near exclusively watch animated stuff because I’m an artist/animator and I like cartoons :shrug: My adhd plays a part too since live action stuff generally doesn’t hold my attention as well (unless there’s like, an actor I like looking at, or ladies in love in the case of Fried Green Tomatoes). Not to say I absolutely can’t watch it, but I’m more likely to want to do other things at the same time whilst watching so that I’m actually able to pay attention.

Bad roast beef is the worst food but good roast beef is the best food.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Butt Detective posted:

Yeah lamb is far superior.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The only thing you should be made fun of for liking is anime.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I hate Captain Monkey.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I think that, in general, a lot of things that seem foolish or stupid are explicable by the person. The problem is that there is a fundamental seperation between oneself and others, and worse a gap between oneself and oneself.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'd point out that this kind of discourse almost exclusively happens on the internet. Like I've recently revisited Harry Potter, and especially the early ones before it tries to be serious and political are delightful. I have no shame. It's hilarious to see Severus Snape the cartoon gross wizard man sprinting up and down the stairs of the castle to land sick burns on the various 12 year olds he considers his serious rivals. And I'm not about to endorse JK Rowling or give that awful woman money.

But in my posting career I really prefer going "lol remember when Snape ran up from the dungeon to land a burn" to writing a book report on Anna Karenina. Irl I like to think it's pretty obvious I'm not a dumbass who can't and doesn't read better books, but online, well, here we are. Look at this silly pathetic man.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 18:40 on Jun 20, 2021

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
As long as we can agree that Doctor Who is a bad television show and that the YA fiction community is absolutely bonkers we’re fine

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Most of the famous big name anime shows are either utter trash, aimed at 13 year olds or fall drastically in quality towards the end. Sometimes, they do every one of those things!

Despite this, anime is cool and good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

thetoughestbean posted:

As long as we can agree that Doctor Who is a bad television show and that the YA fiction community is absolutely bonkers we’re fine

Yeah I feel like this discussion has drifted from the point that Doctor Who is a poorly made show for babies and if you're an adult who likes it you should be ashamed of that.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Yeah I feel like this discussion has drifted from the point that Doctor Who is a poorly made show for babies and if you're an adult who likes it you should be ashamed of that.

I've not seen Dr Who since I was about... I want to say 19? But it seemed relatively inoffensive back then. Has it really become so rubbish now?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
My PHUO regards Dr Who is that the Seventh Doctor (Sylvester McCoy) is the best and totally unrelated to me being twelve at the time.

Also, Kandy Man (a psychotic robot made of lollies) is easily my favorites Dr Who bad guy.

https://youtu.be/Qkjc_5yGCmM

"Impolite guests feel the back of my candy hand" is a fantastic line.

Elissimpark has a new favorite as of 19:39 on Jun 20, 2021

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Grouchio posted:

I hate Captain Monkey.

Great post for the unpopular opinion thread. :c00lbert:

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
i love you all

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

nurmie posted:

thusly, PHUO: uncritically hopping on the "thing is UNCOOL" bandwagon can be as uncool and problematic (if not more) as enjoying "uncool" or "problematic" media in the first place
Deffinetly not what I'm doing, like I have a avatar from a Visual Novel I don't give a poo poo what's cool or not.

Josef bugman posted:

What is a "grown up" thing to do?

You can think that a lack of nuance is a bad thing, go right ahead, but that isn't infantalising.
The work itself isn't infantalising, Choosing to only consume content like that is an act infantilizing yourself.

Think of it like this, you can go to the gym everyday for decades and never gain an inch of muscle, you need to add weight to become stronger. Likewise you need to constantly challenge yourself mentally with the works you consume otherwise you are stuck in stagnation.

Josef bugman posted:

Also very much this. So much of adult fiction is, to put it bluntly, unutterable shite and depressed people looking out of windows that something a bit more fun seems like a blessed relief.
I don't really think this is true at all. Glancing over at my bookshelf the most depressing book on it is, apropos to the conversation yesterday, The Thirty Years War by Peter Wilson.

I've had this conversation before but people tend to assume that "Literature" or "Adult Fiction" or whatever you wanna call it, is all Great Gatsby rich people being sad, or endless ruminations on the meaningless of life. Which can be true of a lot of works, but it's hardly the majority.

If you always retreat into what's comfortable I don't think you'll end up a very happy person at the end of the day.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think liking whatever is fine but the number of people who put their Hogwarts house in their dating app bio or claim that any indistinguishable CG background from a Marvel movie is a masterpiece of cinematography are why fans are broadly (and IMO accurately) branded as immature.

Also this

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't really think this is true at all. Glancing over at my bookshelf the most depressing book on it is, apropos to the conversation yesterday, The Thirty Years War by Peter Wilson.

I've had this conversation before but people tend to assume that "Literature" or "Adult Fiction" or whatever you wanna call it, is all Great Gatsby rich people being sad, or endless ruminations on the meaningless of life. Which can be true of a lot of works, but it's hardly the majority.

If you always retreat into what's comfortable I don't think you'll end up a very happy person at the end of the day.

What does "challenging yourself mentally" even mean? How do you see it happening, and at what point do you notice results as it were?

Mines probably Colonial Violence by Dierk Walter. Maybe Nietzsche or "the violence of Austerity" book.

What is literature? What makes it up? Is it the "Western Cannon", is it pulp or any number of other books? Because I can tell you for nothing that I got a whole lot more out of Night Watch then I ever did out of the Epic of Gilgamesh, and not just because my translation was garbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

The only way the worker can find joy is by maximizing their profit potential and achieving the ‘adult’ existence something awful poster Gaius Marius has decreed is valid. All other people are joyless shells of human beings.