Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I like that every photo is not level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
That'll be the waves

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

MattO posted:

There's construction near by me that is trying to destroy my sanity

this is from inside my closed office and the 30hz throb goes all fuckin day

Thats been my week. They're building houses in the field that used to be across the street from me, and just started digging basements Monday, so it's been nothing but earth mover noise and backup beepers from 6am-6pm all week... and I work nights. It's loud enough to get through earplugs.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 18, 2021

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Liquid Communism posted:

Thats been my week. They're building houses in the field that used to be across the street from me, and just started digging basements Monday, so it's been nothing but earth mover noise and backup beepers from 6am-6pm all week... and I work nights. It's loud enough to get through earplugs.

When it's loud enough it gets in through your bones.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Ooh, Jenga!

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, that's the point of the beepers. Sucks so much.

The low frequency rumble sucks worse. You can't earplug away stuff that literally shakes your bed. I've got evacuators rumbling up and down my street, compactors and poo poo as they replace the gas pipeline.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yup!

Earplugs can block like a maximum of 33dB NRR. The highest rating ear muffs are like 31dB NRR. Combine the two and you hit like 36dB NRR because after that your jaw bone is conducting so much sound into your ears that stuffing them or covering them doesn't matter anymore.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i had weeks of sleepless nights and horrible days, when some awful noise just like that was coming into my room, at random, 24/7. i don't know what caused it to this day. the position and shape of my room made it so it only bothered me there, although i could hear it everywhere. infrasound (and frequencies that aproach it) can really gently caress you up, it switches on your fight or flight

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

yep!

in my house it's a steady pulse that you feel more than hear, my ears feel like I'm in a room that's being pressurized/de-pressurized.
was kind of a relief to see it show up on a spectrograph

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'd give Bonus points if it's live and powers the outlet through "backfeeding".

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lowkey homophobic outlet Is he, y'know..?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

tater_salad posted:

I'd give Bonus points if it's live and powers the outlet through "backfeeding".

It's live, but only when it's plugged in :byoscience:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

nishi koichi posted:

i had weeks of sleepless nights and horrible days, when some awful noise just like that was coming into my room, at random, 24/7. i don't know what caused it to this day. the position and shape of my room made it so it only bothered me there, although i could hear it everywhere. infrasound (and frequencies that aproach it) can really gently caress you up, it switches on your fight or flight

I had the same experience every couple weeks, found out it was a mcdonalds getting their used grease drained at 3 AM by a company called 'natural proteins' which made pet food as well

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

It's live, but only when it's plugged in :byoscience:

Nah not crappy enough.. prongs are always live (when plugged into it's source which is always) and plugged into an outlet somewhere else in the house (further away more points) The outlet in the picture is only live when plugged in (or is that what you meant)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I meant to imply it's like a perpetual motion machine and that the back of the male cord is wired into the sockets, so it gets power from itself and is only live when it's plugged in (to itself)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Both prongs are hot, from different phases, and the outlet is wired such that each prong feeds a different downstream leg. This means, of course, the top outlet at this one spot is 240V.

A switch elsewhere controls one of the prongs. The other is a double tap off one of the service entrance lugs.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Both prongs are hot, from different phases, and the outlet is wired such that each prong feeds a different downstream leg. This means, of course, the top outlet at this one spot is 240V.

A switch elsewhere controls one of the prongs. The other is a double tap off one of the service entrance lugs.

nice

Jows
May 8, 2002

Bad Munki posted:

This is art.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

GreenNight posted:

The link is being slow. Copy/paste

I inherited a house in another state, and people ask why I don't rent it out to summer vacationers. Duh.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Bad Munki posted:

This is arson.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

PainterofCrap posted:

This is arson.

*eventually* arson.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Just say no to pots.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kid sinister posted:

Just say no to pots.

The vent aside, that whole area by the stove is bothering me.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Bad Munki posted:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

kid sinister posted:

Just say no to pots.

No spaghetti for you!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Bad Munki posted:

What the gently caress is this

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

mycomancy posted:

What the gently caress is this

Wiring by PO, LLC

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Crapper construction, huh?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Someone went really far to make this joke.

Please tell me it's a joke.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

99% sure it's a planter.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Arsenic Lupin posted:

99% sure it's a planter.

After adding enough fertilizer, sure.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Watch out for the upper wicker

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Someone gets enough fibre in their diet.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Only a basket case would use that.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
The three little pigs, except the wolf has the shits and is destroying toilets of increasingly better construction.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Pee'r 1

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
It's a wick john

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auqrV9g4JA4

Adbot