Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

namlosh posted:

also at the same time was creative labs refusing to update drivers to work with it for their older (like older than a year) cards… what a shitshow that was

this bit was microsoft being fully correct and creative labs doing their best sulk about it, in that everything consumer (and arguably 99% of pro) "hardware accelerated" audio did was entirely trivial on cpu. even with the low-end cpus of the day.

arguably a lot of what vista did was microsoft inexplicably doing an entirely correct break with the past, to a point where i wonder if they internally knew it'd be a hugely hated release for the short-term pains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
lol XPS

I bought one once, it was a creaky plasticky piece of poo poo and the screen (or maybe just backlight) completely died after something like six months.

I switched to thinkpads and never went back. You get what you pay for.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

this bit was microsoft being fully correct and creative labs doing their best sulk about it, in that everything consumer (and arguably 99% of pro) "hardware accelerated" audio did was entirely trivial on cpu. even with the low-end cpus of the day.

arguably a lot of what vista did was microsoft inexplicably doing an entirely correct break with the past, to a point where i wonder if they internally knew it'd be a hugely hated release for the short-term pains.

lol @ the puppetmaster Microsoft idea

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

lol XPS

I bought one once, it was a creaky plasticky piece of poo poo and the screen (or maybe just backlight) completely died after something like six months.

lol thinkpads havent been good for like a decade

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
new xps17s just came out. prob gonna get one for work

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Shaggar posted:

more like for ever

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sapozhnik posted:

lol XPS

xps has been aluminum and carbon fibre for at least six years now

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Drastic Actions posted:

Remember that Windows 10X SKU that was gonna fail on its own? What if we made that the next version of Windows

I hope it's more than just a rebadge of 10X but it is the Windows team so who knows :shrug:.

nah. 10x was about making wcos happen because sunk cost. win11 is "oh poo poo what do we do now that wcos is dead? reskin win10 i guess."

Drastic Actions posted:

the MAUI team has, I believe, 9 people full-time working on the platform.

right now, I'm working on getting porting our XAML Hot Reload stack over from Xamarin.Forms to MAUI, and myself and a few others on my team are going to be moonlighting to help get more design tools working in the platform itself because otherwise, they won't get it done.

i think their idea is cool and I want it to succeed, but... yeah, it's rough.

you want tooling for the most impactful .net desktop undertaking in over a decade? nah i don't think so, too busy wasting hundreds of man years on a tooling project that everyone told us not to do because it would definitely fail.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Shaggar posted:

Mine's 6 years old and a loving tank. Plus if it breaks it's easy to fix it. They're still decent, definitely compared to consumer grade crap.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I'll take my thinkpad over the lovely rear end hps we had to deal with

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Chris Knight posted:

I'll take my thinkpad over the lovely rear end hps we had to deal with
lol hp

huge pile

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Every thinkpad I've owned last lasted me five years.

The previous one is still in perfect order, I just got tired of dealing with 8GB of soldered RAM.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
lmaooooooooo

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

mediaphage posted:

lmaooooooooo

asus is complete catnip for tech journalists, they just throw whatever the gently caress at the wall which drives those clicks

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
the only three companies on that list that make anything that isn't pure trash are apple, dell and lenovo and you gotta be real careful with dell and lenovo.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

the only three companies on that list that make anything that isn't pure trash are apple, dell and lenovo and you gotta be real careful with dell and lenovo.

oh absolutely, if you needed any further proof that almost all tech bloggers are terrible, there it is (and i did it for money for a decade or more)

one time the asus pr guy told me about how they had a new blogger who really wanted in, and begged them constantly for a review unit. they finally sent a gaming laptop out, dude does a review and puts it up, time goes by

a few weeks

then a couple of months

asus keeps hounding the guy and is like YO when are you sending back our laptop

and the dude acts all surprised and affronted and goes "you guys wanted that back?? i already gave it to my girlfriend for christmas"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

yep. lucky that the carefulness can be guided down to two (xps, precision) and one (thinkpad) product lines respectively too, since the full portfolio ratio of trash to good is pretty tiny.

but then a whole bunch of the thinkpads are really really good.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

mediaphage posted:

lmaooooooooo

what the hell

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

oh well, do hp's defense they have that elitebook series, isn't that kinda like xps? but yeah, agree

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Tankakern posted:

oh well, do hp's defense they have that elitebook series, isn't that kinda like xps? but yeah, agree

pretty sure there are only two kinds of elitebooks: trash and ones weighing like 3 kilos.

and the latter is sometimes relevant, but very rarely what people (should) look for in a laptop in 2021.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

hp, dell, and lenovo all make good laptops

they also make an absolute ocean of crap, from which you have to find the good ones. which models are good will vary from year to year. sometimes none of them are good, and you have to settle on "barely adequate".

yospos is also full of dumbasses who will loudly proclaim that $BRAND of laptop is terrible, when their only experience is from their work laptop which is underspecced trash because their company/IT department is run by cheapskate morons

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

yeah they all love to ship dodge stratus it manager specials so they can shave $20 bucks off the thousand they’re buying by putting in the worst remaindered poo poo parts but will opt for loving lojack and the laser asset tag etching

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

that may be true, but we had a crop of elitebooks that were high spec dev machines with the worst failure rate i've ever seen. i was the only one without multiple board and part replacements out of seven on our team in three years time

that was almost a decade ago so maybe they've improved but it was a real bummer. they were also built like ugly tanks, then, so I wouldn't be surprised to hear they've improved measurably over the years. if you told me that was because they bought compaq and relabeled them for a few year I'd fully believe it based on how bad those were in the oughts

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Agile Vector posted:

that may be true, but we had a crop of elitebooks that were high spec dev machines with the worst failure rate i've ever seen. i was the only one without multiple board and part replacements out of seven on our team in three years time

that was almost a decade ago so maybe they've improved but it was a real bummer. they were also built like ugly tanks, then, so I wouldn't be surprised to hear they've improved measurably over the years. if you told me that was because they bought compaq and relabeled them for a few year I'd fully believe it based on how bad those were in the oughts

their failure rate is bad, but not microsoft surface bad

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

PCjr sidecar posted:

yeah they all love to ship dodge stratus it manager specials so they can shave $20 bucks off the thousand they’re buying by putting in the worst remaindered poo poo parts but will opt for loving lojack and the laser asset tag etching

maybe 7 years ago, before i understood this about IT departments, i had ours spec out the new workstations for the student 3d modeling lab. i said "well, the most important things are a graphics card like XYZ model and at least N gigbytes of ram" and figured they would understand the general performance class to shoot for and build the rest of the machines to suit.

nope! they bought the parts i specifically requested, but put in the cheapest dogshit nominally "workstation-class" xeon Es and loving 5400rpm hard drives. and then of course loaded them up with an unbelievable amount of asset management software that makes the drives churn at 99% for twenty minutes every time you log in. gently caress's sake

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 20, 2021

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Hmm I think we need to buy a fourth anti-virus program to install alongside the other three anti-virus programs.

What if there's a super-virus that the other three don't catch.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

it's like doubling up on covid vaccines, just in case

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

mediaphage posted:

lmaooooooooo

such a shameful graph that no one is putting their name to it

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

SO DEMANDING posted:

yospos is also full of dumbasses who will loudly proclaim that $BRAND of laptop is terrible, when their only experience is from their work laptop which is underspecced trash because their company/IT department is run by cheapskate morons
no poo poo. you think I'm gonna buy a loving windows laptop for myself?!

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

pc laptops were still impressively poo poo 10 years ago. intel had only just created the ultrabook concept, i'm convinced that it took their reference designs for pc manufacturers to catch up with apple

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

“ultra book” is just slang for a MacBook Pro knock off

mystes
May 31, 2006

Acer and Asus laptops are fine.

Now I'll just unsubscribe from this thread for a couple days while everyone yells at me.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

PCjr sidecar posted:

their failure rate is bad, but not microsoft surface bad

oh, yeah, by that standard they're smooth sailing. at least with a decent support team we were able to get repairs done on-site quickly. not sure ms was going to send someone out to reglue the base on a surface laptop to fix a bad mobo

SO DEMANDING posted:

pc laptops were still impressively poo poo 10 years ago. intel had only just created the ultrabook concept, i'm convinced that it took their reference designs for pc manufacturers to catch up with apple

that ref design definitely marked a pivot in the industry. the one plus the old crap designs had was perceived serviceability, but i'd guess the business models today are almost as easy to pop and swap while still being thinner and more durable

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Agile Vector posted:

oh, yeah, by that standard they're smooth sailing. at least with a decent support team we were able to get repairs done on-site quickly. not sure ms was going to send someone out to reglue the base on a surface laptop to fix a bad mobo

that ref design definitely marked a pivot in the industry. the one plus the old crap designs had was perceived serviceability, but i'd guess the business models today are almost as easy to pop and swap while still being thinner and more durable

agree with much of this

as to the chart above i think a number of those companies put out laptops that are either good or at least more than okay for the first year. i just flat out don’t believe that durability or longevity is something that many of them care about even though it’s very common for people to keep laptops for loving ever these days

i can’t imagine what a 2012 acer laptop would look like now but my mbp is trucking along like a champ

Khorne
May 1, 2002
does anyone besides lenovo even make a decent laptop keyboard now?

i'm buying a new laptop soon for personal projects & it has to be good to use away from an external keyboard which rules out apple instantly but maybe not other vendors

mystes posted:

Acer and Asus laptops are fine.

Now I'll just unsubscribe from this thread for a couple days while everyone yells at me.
their g14/g15 laptops are decent if you need the gpu for work stuff. only downside is they make really bad keyboard layout decisions like "let's not put keys that are commonly used while working but let's put some useless keys in weird places instead, and oh those other keys? 1/4 size"

asus have non-scam pricing which is a novelty in the consumer laptop market. hi lenovo here, do you want to go from a 256gb to 1tb ssd? that will be $500 despite going from a $30 part to a $90 part. want 32gb of ram? that will be $400 for us to put in a $40 stick of ram. thankfully lenovo's t14 is one of the last laptops in the world that you can replace ram & ssd & screen on trivially.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Khorne posted:

does anyone besides lenovo even make a decent laptop keyboard now?

i'm buying a new laptop soon for personal projects & it has to be good to use away from an external keyboard which rules out apple instantly but maybe not other vendors

their g14/g15 laptops are decent if you need the gpu for work stuff. only downside is they make really bad keyboard layout decisions like "let's not put keys that are commonly used while working but let's put some useless keys in weird places instead, and oh those other keys? 1/4 size"

asus have non-scam pricing which is a novelty in the consumer laptop market. hi lenovo here, do you want to go from a 256gb to 1tb ssd? that will be $500 despite going from a $30 part to a $90 part. want 32gb of ram? that will be $400 for us to put in a $40 stick of ram. thankfully lenovo's t14 is one of the last laptops in the world that you can replace ram & ssd & screen on trivially.

Apple dropped the butterfly keyboard so they’re good again

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Nomnom Cookie posted:

Apple dropped the butterfly keyboard so they’re good again
but did they drop the oversized trackpad that messes with typing constantly

and did they stop making the top of the keys completely flat & so close together that there's effectively no gap

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
did lenovo figure out how to make a trackpad that even remotely works?

i mean even by the standards of windows laptops they have objectively the worst trackpads i've used in 25 years of computer touching. the solution may be "use the nub" but this isn't the 1990s, no one but greybeard grognards is using the nub.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

infernal machines posted:

did lenovo figure out how to make a trackpad that even remotely works?

i mean even by the standards of windows laptops they have objectively the worst trackpads i've used in 25 years of computer touching. the solution may be "use the nub" but this isn't the 1990s, no one but greybeard grognards is using the nub.
their trackpads work the same as anyone else's since at least 2015 mostly because lots of companies use the same vendor.

apple got trackpads right in 2010 or so & then decided to make them real huge for no good reason around the time other vendors started making usable trackpads

Khorne fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jun 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

SO DEMANDING posted:

hp, dell, and lenovo all make good laptops

they also make an absolute ocean of crap, from which you have to find the good ones. which models are good will vary from year to year. sometimes none of them are good, and you have to settle on "barely adequate".

actually they are all poo poo and apple makes the only good laptops