Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's pure "why isn't the present like the idealized way I remember the past"
Not for me it isn't. I really don't care about the nostalgia of moves, I just think there's an argument to me made for long-term protected finishers without gradually replacing them with new ones.

One Winged Angel has been protected like crazy for a decade and Kenny hasn't had to come up with a new one. Which is especially notable since he got it over so huge as a one-and-done move in NJPW where third-act finisher spam is the norm. Once he hits it, you know it's over unless they're going to make a BIG deal out of it - and he's probably saving that for Ibushi if they ever have a match again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Ibushi has already kicked out though and having it kicked out by say Hangman would help Kenny's downfall story where really the next Ibushi match is about Ibushi saving Kenny from that downfall

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
For the second night in a row Mike Kurtz has searched for "horny" and is replying to everyone (including bots) who tweeted they are horny that he is also horny.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

mike kurtz was a famous gang member during the time of the 'gangs of new york'

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
i'm horny as well

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

MassRafTer posted:

For the second night in a row Mike Kurtz has searched for "horny" and is replying to everyone (including bots) who tweeted they are horny that he is also horny.

Hooboy

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Ibushi has already kicked out though and having it kicked out by say Hangman would help Kenny's downfall story where really the next Ibushi match is about Ibushi saving Kenny from that downfall
Sure, but in DDT in 2012, which was pretty early in his career before he built it up. You could just as easily tell a compelling story about whether Ibushi could take it now that Kenny's mastered the move and Ibushi's taken so much battle damage since then.

Personally I like that a lot better than, for example, Jericho using the Lionsault until it beats nobody, then the Breakdown that never caught on, then the Codebreaker that doesn't beat anyone anymore, and then debuting his murder move... an elbow.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Purely for the record, Ibushi has taken the OWA since then - at KOPW in 2018. It pinned him.

I have to assume it was intentional that he pinned Ibushi because the third guy in the match was Cody.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sorry but I'll always say that the piledriver should be a super protected move and rarely have anyone kick out, and if you are given a piledriver in Memphis or by Jerry Lawler, then you should be in a hospital for at least 2 weeks. And if you're given a piledriver in Memphis by Jerry Lawler, then you're legally declared dead.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Still not as awesome as the Tombstone being the forbidden death move in Mexico

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

alternatively, the tombstone piledriver was a transitional move for joshi and jrs. in Japan through the 90s and Takako Inoue had the coolest tombstone variant

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I like that the tombstone is the setup for the Rainmaker, because the logic is that Okada could feasibly win with it, but he doesn't want to because he wants to do HIS move.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Speaking of which, lariats are always good and cool finishers, regardless of what variant or name they come with. It's very hard to top a move that is so sublime in its simplicity.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

edogawa rando posted:

Speaking of which, lariats are always good and cool finishers, regardless of what variant or name they come with. It's very hard to top a move that is so sublime in its simplicity.

This is fact. Whenever lariat finishers come up I think of Stan Hansen sending Andre through the ropes with his

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

MassRafTer posted:

Someone should spam him with Horny by Mousse T.

edogawa rando posted:

Yup. A lariat is perfect in both simplicity and brutality.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That's also why I don't buy the Jinder and JBL comparisons. The Clothesline from Hell was a top tier finisher while the Kallas has zero impact.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

That's also why I don't buy the Jinder and JBL comparisons. The Clothesline from Hell was a top tier finisher while the Kallas has zero impact.
it helps that JBL is a piece of poo poo and had zero qualms about potatoing the poo poo out people, so it always looked amazing

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

jesus WEP posted:

it helps that JBL is a piece of poo poo and had zero qualms about potatoing the poo poo out people, so it always looked amazing

also if you didn't flip bump the poo poo out of it, he'd molest you in the shower afterwards.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Congrats to Sean Carlucci for finally doing numbers on a tweet.

https://twitter.com/SeanCarlucci/status/1406598928137605122

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Congrats to Sean Carlucci for finally doing numbers on a tweet.

https://twitter.com/SeanCarlucci/status/1406598928137605122

Quality reply

https://mobile.twitter.com/Team_Cline/status/1406629653297651717

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

This one needs some context - it's a post about Chris Kanyon (specifically an excerpt from his book about the "Boy George" angle)

quote:

Matt Jackson comes off like a total dickhead when he tells the story of rejecting Kanyon....to me it came off cruel and tasteless..

That whole book is an eye roll.. the fact that they identify a black person at any point as "African American is lame...

The DDT4 story is the most lame story.. Roddy and Bryan shouldn't have apologized... the 94 Steiners and 99 APA would've ripped the bucks an rear end in a top hat like nobody else could imagine

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Too bad Kurtz was taking a sabbatical when Maki Itoh debuted in AEW and people were complaining that she wasn't hitting people hard enough with the microphone.

You know he would've had something to say and then you could come back with "she could've hit harder, but the mic hurts".

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Pylons posted:

This one needs some context - it's a post about Chris Kanyon (specifically an excerpt from his book about the "Boy George" angle)

Ddt4 iirc was Roddy and Bryan beating up one of the bucks so brutally in a tag match the other one though he was going to have to jump in and save his brother

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Suplex Liberace posted:

Ddt4 iirc was Roddy and Bryan beating up one of the bucks so brutally in a tag match the other one though he was going to have to jump in and save his brother

Yeah, the context for that is in PWG at the time the crowd was kinda getting sick of babyface Bucks for one reason or another, and Roddy and Bryan thought they could turn the crowd by just beating the absolute poo poo out of the Bucks. It didn't work, so Roddy and Bryan beat them up more, and it still didn't work, so they just went to the finish (which was The Bucks hitting their finisher and winning) and just got booed.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Testekill posted:

Horny by Mousse T

tune

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This guy is just so angry at the idea of wrestling fans.

https://twitter.com/robschamberger/status/1406760781643976706

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

This guy is just so angry at the idea of wrestling fans.

https://twitter.com/robschamberger/status/1406760781643976706

People DID complain, though, on places like RSPW. He just wasn't aware of it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

People DID complain, though, on places like RSPW. He just wasn't aware of it.

People including Mick Foley.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
"I hate this booking." "I HATE that you hate this booking!"

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Manind was Foley's best work. Second only to Dudlov.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Yeah, people did hate the change from Cactus Jack to Mankind, including Mick himself. There were also some scattered Cactus Jack chants in places like New York, Philly and Pittsburgh.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I remember not being super jazzed about Mankind until either the Boiler Room Brawl or the Cell toss.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

Manind was Foley's best work. Second only to Dudlov.

oh i dunno, Catus Jak was pretty good too, it sucks they changed it

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Zombie Lemur posted:

Yeah, people did hate the change from Cactus Jack to Mankind, including Mick himself. There were also some scattered Cactus Jack chants in places like New York, Philly and Pittsburgh.

At least Mick had the nerve to tell Vince he hated some of the stuff and got it changed. Not that I blame like anybody else because one imagines Vince even on his best days doesn’t come off as open to feedback.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

brakkus jack

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
jak & cackster (the precursor legacy)

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Dawgstar posted:

At least Mick had the nerve to tell Vince he hated some of the stuff and got it changed. Not that I blame like anybody else because one imagines Vince even on his best days doesn’t come off as open to feedback.

Yeah, but we were robbed of a Mason the Mutilator vs Ice Dagger feud by Foley and Austin not accepting poo poo gimmicks.

Very selfish of them to not consider the potential for future memes.

Zombie Lemur fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 21, 2021

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
...what? Seriously...what?
https://twitter.com/acomicbookgirl/status/1406801172652904448
https://twitter.com/acomicbookgirl/status/1406811614448295937
Apparently a calm and respectful "this is a bad example, Mick explains what he thought of the gimmick in his first book" tweet is as "jackass" being the opposite of "being helpful and insightful." At least if you're Rob's friend, Angela.

Meanwhile, also from Rob:
https://twitter.com/robschamberger/status/1406761932032512004
https://twitter.com/robschamberger/status/1406763086770589696
Some of the replies are great, though:
https://twitter.com/youdiedagain/status/1406772259042254851

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
How dare you interrupt our weird back and forth strawmen argument to nobody in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

rob, do you ever think you're *too* attached to the WWE?