Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Would I put OC/Bononi on a top ten of the year? Probably not, I can't really say until the end of the year. Did I have a really good time? Yes. Would I heartily recommend it? Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

KungFu Grip posted:

there's like 98 motyc and were not even half way through the year, and most of them are actually just alright. its just after years of boring wwe poo poo everything seems to be miles better. its very funny to me that the the nomination thresh hold went up because we were worried there was too many motyc nominations when there was only 110, but there's been more MOTYC since then because more people have gotten into njpw and aew starting up have bloated the motyc nominations to close to 200 the last few years while other promotions dwindled

I think there's some truth to this. With NJPW and other Puro being more accessible, and AEW being a thing, the overall match quality available has gone way up for most western fans. It can't be that all these matches are truly in contention for best of the year. But I'd wager they are all pretty good matches. Most of us wouldn't have had access to matches of this calibre for most of the time we watched wrestling. I guess AJPW was producing bangers in the 90s that hold up today, but unless you were in that extremely niche (at the time) tape trading community you had no idea. I think literally any match on this MOTYC list would be considered unassailably the MOTY for a western wrestling fan for any year from like.... inception of professional wrestling to 2018. And it's really very cool that we get to see all these excellent matches now.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Heck it's not just Puro, Lucha has become way easier to watch as well compared to the 80's/90's where it was crap shoot if the match was even taped

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

In many ways the length of the MOTYC is a crude macro barometer of positivity towards wrestling in general.

Wrestling is at its worst when it's a dull monoculture and at its best when it's a vibrant ecosystem. People voting for a bunch of things - even unexpected things - as MOTYCs is a good indicator that people are enjoying the wrestling they watch.

Case in point, there was a New Japan Strong match I watched this week that I really liked. A young lion and an established pro had a great physical grappling match. I nominated it for an HM. Am I going to remember that match at the end of the year? Probably not! Did I have a really good time watching it? Absolutely! my nomination was partly "hey, this is good", and partly "hey, wrestling is good".

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Less arguing, more recommendations of good/great/fun wrestling and watching of said matches. :)

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Pinwiz11 posted:

Less arguing, more recommendations of good/great/fun wrestling and watching of said matches. :)

copy that

MOTYC: Utami Hayashishita v Syuri, Stardom Dream Cinderella 6/12
MOTYC: Chihiro Hashimoto, Mika Iwata & DASH Chisako vs. Mio Momono, Rin Kadokura & Mei Hoshizuki in an elimination match for the AAAW Singles Championship, AAAW Tag Team Championship, Sendai Girls World Championship and Sendai Girls Tag Team Championship - GAEA Japan GAEAISM Decade of a Quarter Century 6/13
HM: Yuya Uemura vs. Minoru Suzuki NJPW Kizuna Road 6/14
HM: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Yota Tsuji NJPW Kizuna Road 6/14
HM: Yuya Uemura vs. Zack Sabre Jr., NJPW Kizuna Road 6/15
HM: Taichi vs Yota Tsuji NJPW Kizuna Road 6/15
HM: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Yuya Uemura, NJPW Kizuna Road 6/16
HM: Kazuchika Okada vs Yota Tsuji NJPW Kizuna Road 6/16
HM: Neo Bi-Ishiki Gun (Sakisama & Mei Saint-Michel) (C) vs 121000000 (Miyu Yamashita & Maki Itoh) for the Princess Tag titles - TJPW Additional Attack 6/17
MOTYC: Darby Allin vs Men of the Year, AEW Dynamite 6/18
MOTYC: Orange Cassidy v Cesar Bononi, AEW Dynamite 6/18
HM: Eddie Kingston/Penta El Zero Miedo/Frankie Kazarian vs. Matt Jackson/The Good Brothers, AEW Dynamite 6/18
HM: Alex Coughlin vs Josh Alexander, New Japan Strong, 6/18
HM: Hyper Misao vs. Miu Watanabe vs. Pom Harajuku, TJPW The Bullet, 6/19
HM:Tetsuya Endo vs Kazusada Higuchi, King of DDT Round 2, 6/20
MOTYC: Konosuke Takeshita vs Mao, King of DDT Round 2, 6/20
MOTYC: HARASHIMA vs Yuji Hino, King of DDT Round 2, 6/20

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

The Taxman posted:

Just watched the show, and although the card was pretty solid, nothing touched

Stardom Dream Cinderella 6/12
MOTYC:Utami Hayashishita v Syuri

What a war. Absolute brutality, guts, and compressed vertebrae.

nth; fantastic match. The finish is something that sounds silly but with how this match was put together it worked perfectly: both gave everything they had and at one point neither could get up again. Its an example of your big match epic that works perfectly in my eyes.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

MOTYC - Chihiro Hashimoto, Mika Iwata & DASH Chisako vs. Mio Momono, Rin Kadokura & Mei Hoshizuki in an elimination match for the AAAW Singles Championship, AAAW Tag Team Championship, Sendai Girls World Championship and Sendai Girls Tag Team Championship - GAEA Japan GAEAISM Decade of a Quarter Century (6/13)

https://twitter.com/RealHero12089/status/1404446405071151115?s=19

This is my match of the year so far. The build up has been great between the two promotions involved. The crowd was about as good as I've been in for a clap crowd. Everything once it came down to the final two was fantastic.

Nth; as good as Utami-Syuri but in a very, very different way. The build was great and as a Marvelous fan I had that investment in them winning that really helped. The best bit is the last fall which would stand on its own as a very good singles match I think: and it makes me really, really want to see those two in a proper singles match which I don't think is likely to happen which is very sad.

The real gift that Mio Momono has other than just being a very good wrestler is that she makes you believe - its a wider Marvelous thing (the third generation of rookies are also great at making you buy near falls that seem ridiculous) but during that late stretch I think I bought every near fall as being something that could end the match even if it was just a punch or something similar to that. Not a lot of people have that to the level she does and its a fantastic skill for pro wrestling.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

WMOTYC: Alexa Bliss vs Shayna Baszler, WWE Hell in a Cell 20/6/21

Trash trash trash trash trash

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

Testekill posted:

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
WMOTYC: Alexa Bliss vs Shayna Baszler, Hell in a Cell, 6/20/21.

Add MIND CONTROL to the LORE OF ALEXA.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

WMOTYC: Alexa Bliss vs. Shayna Bazler - WWE Hell In A Cell 6/20

Fiend. Matches. Are. Terrible.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Testekill posted:

Nth

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
HM: Sami Zayn vs. Kevin Owens WWE Hell in a Cell 20/6/21

these two beat the hell out of each other, incredibly stiff, hopefully just great selling by owens

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

WMOTYC: Charlotte Flair vs. Rhea Ripley, WWE HIAC 6/20

Reasons:
1. Charlotte didn't sell anything
2. Rhea constantly screaming to sell her leg
3. DIALOG
4. lovely DQ finish

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
wmotyc rhea ripley vs charlotte flair WWE Hell in a Cell 20/6/21

go through all that for a lame dq ending when rhea throws the announce table cover at charlotte to continue this feud that's started after wrestlemania

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

WMOTYC: Rhea Ripley vs Charlotte, WWE Hell in a Cell 20/6/21

Awful finish to a match that I gave so little of a poo poo about and was so not entertained that I went to make a coffee halfway through.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
WMOTYC: Charlotte Flair vs Rhea Ripley for the RAW Women's Championship, Hell in a Cell 6/20/21

What a loving lovely match from start to finish. Especially the finish. Neither woman looks good, and its looking more and more like Asuka should have retained at Mania.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Dango Bango posted:

WMOTYC: Charlotte Flair vs. Rhea Ripley, WWE HIAC 6/20

Reasons:
1. Charlotte didn't sell anything
2. Rhea constantly screaming to sell her leg
3. DIALOG
4. lovely DQ finish

Nth

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

4th month in a row of a WWE PPV having at least one* WMOTY, 5 of 6 in 2021

*First non-Mania one of the year to have multiple

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

WMOTYC: Lashley vs Drew McIntyre, WWE HIAC 6/20

Why are you wasting my time? Stop wasting it please. A distraction rollup in a HIAC match. And the match was pretty mediocre as well

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Testekill posted:

Why are you wasting my time? Stop wasting it please. A distraction rollup in a HIAC match.

Nth. It was somehow boring as hell too.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Testekill posted:

Why are you wasting my time? Stop wasting it please. A distraction rollup in a HIAC match. And the match was pretty mediocre as well

Nth

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

Testekill posted:

actively viewer-hostile finish, incredible stuff

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
For those playing along at home, we have roughly three WMOTYCs in a single card, probably a new record for any event ever.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Testekill posted:

Testekill posted:

WMOTYC: Rhea Ripley vs Charlotte, WWE Hell in a Cell 20/6/21

Testekill posted:

nth

thank you for watching heck in a ceck

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

DarkstarIV posted:

For those playing along at home, we have roughly three WMOTYCs in a single card, probably a new record for any event ever.

Mania Night 2 this year had 4 (Orton/Fiend, women's tag titles, US title, IC title)

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Chris James 2 posted:

Mania Night 2 this year had 4 (Orton/Fiend, women's tag titles, US title, IC title)

oh yeah night two was dire

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Stardom now has its first successful MOTYC nomination of 2021. Yay! :)

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

SG Bamboo posted:

TJPW Spring Tour ~ The Bullet ~ June 19th

HM
NEO Biishiki-gun (Sakisama and Mei Saint-Michel) vs Moka Miyamoto and Raku
- This was incredible, Mei is an absolute treasure, just have her run about for 10 minutes and everyhitng will be fine. Also Raku's shtick was great, and Moka showed fire

Miyu Yamashita and Yuka Sakazaki vs Nodoka Tenma and Shoko Nakajima
- Some of Shoko's offence was very sloppy, but I was very much entertained by Yuka being pure evil against poor Tenma in the leadup to the hot tag. Miyu also took some time out of her busy schedule being the absolute coolest to heel it up as well, plus she deadlifted Tenma like it was nothing which looked super impressive.

nth on these two

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

tbh the us title match was fine. got to see riddle eat poo poo on a brogue kick midair

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I literally forgot the IC title match was a thing.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

Oh yeah also Mania 35 had 8 qualify and a 9th get multiple votes

Shane/Miz, ARMBAR, women's battle royal, Reigns/Drew, Brock/Seth, HHH/Batista, Kurt/Corbin, and the triple threat women's main all qualified; Raw tag titles got a few votes

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Pylons posted:

I literally forgot the IC title match was a thing.

it was the "nigerian drum fight" which uh was just a normal street fight and thats when babatunde/dabba-kato/general azez redebuted

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
HM: Bianca Belair vs. Bayley WWE Hell in a Cell 20/6/21

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

WMOTYC
9th May
DDT Ultimate Tag League In Korakuen
Sanshiro Takagi & Yukio Naya vs Danshoku Dino & Super Sasadango Machine vs Akito & Keigo Nakamura vs DISASTER BOX (Kazuki Hirata & Toru Owashi)

I usually enjoy DDT nonsense, and this had some endearing chuckleworthy spots. Even had a silly stipulation, a Tag Team reverse Battle Royal, where the loser gets tossed into the ring over the top rope.

But God it wore out its welcome. Cagematch claims thus was 11 minutes long but it felt twice that. That's basically an unforgivable sin for a comedy match in my book.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
9th May
Yukio Sakaguchi vs Yusuke Okada

That was short and violent. Lovely stuff.

HM
9th May
37KAMIINA (MAO & Yuki Ueno) vs Disaster Box (HARASHIMA & Naomi Yoshimura)

Hard to believe this is Yoshimura's first match back after 6 months off, he's not lost a step. Sad as I am that Nautilus are finished, getting to see Yoshimura vs Ueno was still cool and fun.

MOTYC
9th May
37KAMIINA (Konosuke Takeshita & Shunma Katsumata) vs Damnation (Daisuke Sasaki & Yuji Hino)

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

forkboy84 posted:

WMOTYC
9th May
Sanshiro Takagi & Yukio Naya vs Danshoku Dino & Super Sasadango Machine vs Akito & Keigo Nakamura vs DISASTER BOX (Kazuki Hirata & Toru Owashi)

I usually enjoy DDT nonsense, and this had some endearing chuckleworthy spots. Even had a silly stipulation, a Tag Team reverse Battle Royal, where the loser gets tossed into the ring over the top rope.

But God it wore out its welcome. Cagematch claims thus was 11 minutes long but it felt twice that. That's basically an unforgivable sin for a comedy match in my book.

I gave this match MOTYC, lol. Weird, you don't usually see this thread disagreeing about comedy matches.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Penguin Patrol posted:

I gave this match MOTYC, lol. Weird, you don't usually see this thread disagreeing about comedy matches.

I could easily just not have been in the right mood, I'd just had my 2nd vaccine jab & it just felt interminable. And I'm the high guy on this forum when it comes to Dieno's shtick!

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Your point about it going too long (and then finding out it apparently only went 11 minutes) does scan with the covid juice causing you to lose your patience (because immune system reactions suck)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
10th May
DDT Ultimate Tag League In Wrestle Universe
Eruption (Kazusada Higuchi & Yukio Sakaguchi) vs 37KAMIINA (Konosuke Takeshita & Shunma Katsumata)

Shows how good these teams are that a match can feel a little off and still be this good.