Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Beelzebufo posted:

It's not like there's some sort of tedious repeating pattern to manitoba elections since the formation of the NDP and collapse of the liberals.

That’s Morse code for “Torture”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Noblesse Obliged posted:

That’s Morse code for “Torture”

What else would you call living in Manitoba?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

What else would you call living in Manitoba?

In spring. Itchy

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

infernal machines posted:

Doubling down on loving with healthcare workers during a global pandemic is one of those incomprehensible gaffes that can't have made any real sense to anyone.

Even if you're absolutely ideologically committed to loving up public healthcare, you don't do it while it's front and centre in everyone's mind.

Tell that to, well, all of the conservative premiers. They don't seem to see the point.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

infernal machines posted:

Doubling down on loving with healthcare workers during a global pandemic is one of those incomprehensible gaffes that can't have made any real sense to anyone.

Even if you're absolutely ideologically committed to loving up public healthcare, you don't do it while it's front and centre in everyone's mind.

It might lose the Tories the next election, but they’ll have gotten what they wanted - poorer public health care services and reduced taxes for their friends - and if and when a Liberal or NDP government tries to raise taxes again to restore the old level of service, the public will get even angrier at them, and the Tories will sweep back into power.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really hope I misheard the man on the bullhorn leading a march down Bank Street just now. Sounded like they were chanting White Freedom and White Power from where I was standing.

I really, really hope that I misheard them and it was actually a Juneteenth march.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 19, 2021

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

If I have learned anything from the past year it's not to underestimate Canada's capacity for naked racism. You should assume the worst.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
nevr 4get

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

UnknownMercenary posted:

If I have learned anything from the past year it's not to underestimate Canada's capacity for naked racism. You should assume the worst.

Thankfully I did some digging and found out that it was part of a Juneteenth event. So that put my mind at rest and I need to check my ears.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Yeah it was a victims of police violence rally on the hill today.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Celebrating Juneteenth in Canada feels weird because it has literally nothing to do with us at all in any way, it's just a celebration/idea straight up imported unchanged from the US.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Especially weird because parliament already voted to make August 1st "Emancipation Day" to recognize when slavery ended in Canada. We don't need to coopt their day.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Yes, it's strange. We've got our own slavery related dates. But memorializing on specific dates, while important, does nothing to change what's happening right this moment anyway.

Reparations and justice takes actual money and political will so that's too hard to do.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
TPS has laid charges in the assault of David Gomez. Notably, not against the Redblacks player, who was a "bystander".

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
I think black culture, if that's the appropriate term, transcends petty bullshit like nationality.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

boo boo bear posted:

I think black culture, if that's the appropriate term, transcends petty bullshit like nationality.

Sorry, are you saying all black people share a culture due to their skin colour cos that's really not true

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

boo boo bear posted:

:stare:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

boo boo bear posted:

The experienced culture of an African-American and a person living in Africa are pretty loving different boo boo bear

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
I think they are trying to say shared experiences, transcends borders? In the context of Arivia saying Juneteenth is a straight import from the US and not related to Canada at all. We have our own Canadian history of treating black people badly.

But we also set aside a day August 1st to memorialize emancipation, and not Juneteenth

But yeah saying black culture is uh :yikes:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm never going to say no to a movement calling out police brutality. They can import Juneteenth to Canada and stand in solidarity if they want to.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
Why not just talk to someone and find out?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
ITT a lot of non-Black people speculating about how Black people should feel about things.

If Black Canadians want to celebrate Juneteenth, or if they feel it's American and not applicable to their experience, here are the acceptable things for a non-Black person to say on the subject:

"Okay"

And if you say, "well, I'm Canadian and not Black... should I be celebrating this holiday?" I would say: defer to your Black friends on the matter, if they are celebrating, then join them. And if you don't have Black friends, perhaps "celebrate" by getting out of your bubble. Or do that literally any other day, too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Minister of Culture Nathalie Roy announced that only Quebec music will be allowed to be played in all government buildings and phone lines.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/only-quebec-music-to-be-played-in-government-buildings-minister-announces-1.5478242

Truly, the CAQ has their priorities straight.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Arcsquad12 posted:

Minister of Culture Nathalie Roy announced that only Quebec music will be allowed to be played in all government buildings and phone lines.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/only-quebec-music-to-be-played-in-government-buildings-minister-announces-1.5478242

Truly, the CAQ has their priorities straight.

Thank god for their quick action, that'd been weighing on me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean part of their job is irritating anglophones like myself in order to justify marginalizing the non francophone community in the name of protecting Quebec culture, so mission partially accomplished.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I don’t see why it would be any more irritating than the usual pap you’d hear.

I don’t even know if anywhere actually plays much music in government buildings and I won’t be in a Quebec government building likely ever.

Plus I like a lot of Quebec’s music.

Seems like this is a bait move to get angry anglos to shorted their lives with rage.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Everyone's gonna have to change their default cisco hold music

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

This is going to cost a fortune in licensing and royalties.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

That's cool so they're just going to play bran van 3000 all the time right?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

half cocaine posted:

Sorry, the best they can do is arcade fire

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

If you want to talk about actual problems with this scheme, one that comes immediately to mind is, if this is designed to promote Quebecois artists and help them gain exposure, providing exposure in terrible quality in situations where people are already annoyed by being on hold is probably not a good way to do it.

Other than that, I don't see any points for or against it. It's just a waste of precious human effort to bother making and enforcing this rule.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Non stop roch voisine

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

half cocaine posted:

Came here to say this.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

I'm just imagining someone standing in an elevator while the blandest instrumental pap is playing and an astonished rider looking up and asking everyone else "Is... is that... *FRENCH ELEVATOR MUSIC*?"

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Listenin to Celine to own the Anglo’s

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Ryan Imgrund is about to become persona non grata.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

The vaccine equivalent of leaving a restaurant because they only have Pepsi, no Coke.

Segue
May 23, 2007

Well that's a shame because our Pfizer is delayed so we're getting the exact opposite situation of the spring with endless Moderna and little Pfizer now so if anyone follows that advice they waiting a while.

I swear publicly branding vaccines was the worst goddamn idea. Just get the loving magic juice why is my job so difficult.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Segue posted:

Well that's a shame because our Pfizer is delayed so we're getting the exact opposite situation of the spring with endless Moderna and little Pfizer now so if anyone follows that advice they waiting a while.

I swear publicly branding vaccines was the worst goddamn idea. Just get the loving magic juice why is my job so difficult.

Yeah, they should not be allowed to go by brands, just BNT162b2 and mRNA-1273.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

EngineerJoe posted:

Ryan Imgrund is about to become persona non grata.

He's not wrong in that we don't really know how effective mixing Moderna and Pfizer are. Theoretically, it should work, and as the vaccines would have more similar effects than a combo of, say, Pfizer and AZ, it should work really well, but the data just don't exist yet. Whether his recommendation should follow from that is a different question.

This is a neat example of how hyper-divisive the current situation is. In normal circumstances the question of whether mixing two different varieties of vaccine for the same illness is effective would be considered extremely arcane and about ten people in the world would care. Those people could also have a discussion about the merits of vaccine mixing without the concern that their positions would be anaethema to public health, or worrying whether their words would be used by anti-vaxxers to discredit a world-spanning enterprise to stop the plague that shut down the world for two years.

Anyhow, doctors and scientists don't get media training and it loving shows.