Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

willroc7 posted:

So should I avoid 986 eggs?
99.5% sure they fit fine but I never really researched it.

Also cute photo and yeah your exhaust looks weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Thanks. I have an appointment at the local Indy in august (their earliest availability, jfc) so I’ll have them go over things then.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

H110Hawk posted:

I love the fat rear end on it in a way that I don't for the panamera for some reason. I don't know why anyone would buy a model s when this thing exists. Now they just need to make it into a station wagon. :kimchi:

They make it in cross turismo, so little cladding and a little higher but it’s drat close and probably the closest we’ll see. But who knows maybe a sport turismo will come

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Motronic posted:

There used to be an actual Porsche part numbered car seat that was a Grayco? with a different base the fit exactly into the 911 rear seats. I think there was a 944 part number as well.

There was definitely one for the 944. My Dad had to get one sent from Germany back in the 80s for my sister, reckons it was $$$$

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Coincidentally I recently saw a local ad for two (2!) OEM Porsche child seats for a 964, with the last line in the ad being, in all caps, WILL ONLY SELL TO YOU IF YOU HAVE A PORSCHE 964.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Hell yeah. Is that a RWD or a 4S?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Going to PECLA next week on a little vacation to LA! Was supposed to go last year, but then COVID happened. I'm going to drive a GTS 4.0, wife is going to drive a Taycan 4S. Can't wait to see if I made the right choice on bailing on the GTS 4.0 when ED got cancelled.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

knox_harrington posted:

Hell yeah. Is that a RWD or a 4S?

I believe it's the 4S. She was waffling between that and the Turbo.

Residency Evil posted:

Going to PECLA next week on a little vacation to LA! Was supposed to go last year, but then COVID happened. I'm going to drive a GTS 4.0, wife is going to drive a Taycan 4S. Can't wait to see if I made the right choice on bailing on the GTS 4.0 when ED got cancelled.

This is a real blast and I would suggest everyone do it. It's slightly terrifying they don't wear helmets. I could never get the Carrera 4S to drift on their skid pad. Problem existed between seat and steering wheel. (A vendor took us, we could pick basically any cars we wanted. They had a bunch lined up for us to jump in, I think I drove 3 different ones?) Beware the spinout control if you have back problems. I don't remember what they call it exactly, but it's a plate that when your rear wheels are on it it kicks left or right and you have to recover. It was my favorite part but man, strap in tight so the seat holds you.

If you've never been to that part of LA then leave plenty of time to get where you're going, especially if it's a weekday. Even straight from LAX it could take you close to an hour. Also it's in the middle of nowhere, so expect another hour to get somewhere to eat or whatever.

willroc7 posted:

That's some cool rear end poo poo. The only thing that turned my head at the dealer was a taycan.

It definitely sparks joy.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

slidebite posted:

Little known fact: 986 and 996 headlights, while interchangeable, are actually different. I think it has to do with the actual lens is a different pattern or something.

Can you expound on this? I don't want to get a set of boxster lights that end up not being what I want/need.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I cannot - just heresay and anecdotal. From what I understand they fit, but I can't tell you what the differences are and I certainly never tried a set. Found this from a google link to a Boxster book but they don't say much about it either. You may want to do some lurking or outright asking on Rennlist or something. Many of those guys are way, way more knowledgeable than me.

Also :lol: at "prettiest design element"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

It’s the same picture.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Back in the day when I was looking at keeping my original units (4-5 years ago) I recall seeing something *somewhere* that said the difference was in the lens itself, how it diffused/threw the light. I just tried looking now and I can't find anything. I can tell you they definitely are different part #s.

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate trying a 986 set if you found a good set for cheap, but it's not my money.

I still think inquiring on Rennlist might make the most sense for you. Heck, you might even find someone with a set for sale.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

slidebite posted:

That blue is indeed gorgeous.

Good for you! Doing it on your own? Other than being awkward, shouldn't be too tough. Might be a good way for getting your hands dirty working on your car. If you do, get some new decent hose clamps. The OEM clamps Porsche uses are those sprung type and suuuuck. You'll want one of those clamp tools if you don't have one.
https://www.amazon.ca/Flexible-Clamp-Pliers-Reach-Water/dp/B07H8243NG/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=hose+clamp+tool&qid=1624055593&sr=8-10

While I bought this car with the intention of doing some work on it myself, I am not doing this.

quote:

Also, is it yours now? If so, where the hell are the pics?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I'm realizing my torque wrench only goes down to 25 ft lbs and the LN plug calls for 19. Oh, and it's very susceptible to over-torquing leading to catastrophic failure. Short of getting a smaller wrench, I'm considering just using the stock plug that I ordered (37 ft lbs if i'm not mistaken).

I got into the headlight adjustments and I can only do so much in the daytime, but the "broken" one seems to adjust up/down just fine while the driver's side will adjust side to side but seemingly not up and down? I need to check at night with a good distance wall before making any conclusions, though. I also can't tell if the beam really cuts off where it looks like it should, maybe these will perma-highbeam everyone on the road as they are. Much to discover.

edit: kensei your car looks awesome, I love the color. Love those fried eggs you have there too! LOL. It looks like a good polish will go a long way for it too. Enjoy and good luck!

double secret probation edit: if anyone wants to help diagnose what's going on with my ghetto xenons, here are some pics I took while adjusting: https://imgur.com/a/7bptOrD

willroc7 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 19, 2021

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Residency Evil posted:

If you end up buying one on the spot, lmk and I'll come do some canyon drives with you to break it in, responsibly. Alternately, rent something from Turo.

Also Neptune's Net is back open and if you have never been, it's definitely worth a visit so you can reminisce about the original Fast & the Furious - it's up the coast from the Porsche Experience a ways, but worth the drive.

e: Timely article I just saw -- https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/hollywood-flashback-fast-and-furious-1234968117/

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 19, 2021

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

willroc7 posted:

Can you expound on this? I don't want to get a set of boxster lights that end up not being what I want/need.

I remember reading some discussion of this on another forum, and the conclusion was that there were some minor cosmetic differences in the bezel (or whatever you call it) surrounding the lights. But I think even that may not have been consistent. By all accounts I've seen, they're functionally identical.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

willroc7 posted:

I'm realizing my torque wrench only goes down to 25 ft lbs and the LN plug calls for 19. Oh, and it's very susceptible to over-torquing leading to catastrophic failure. Short of getting a smaller wrench, I'm considering just using the stock plug that I ordered (37 ft lbs if i'm not mistaken).

I got into the headlight adjustments and I can only do so much in the daytime, but the "broken" one seems to adjust up/down just fine while the driver's side will adjust side to side but seemingly not up and down? I need to check at night with a good distance wall before making any conclusions, though. I also can't tell if the beam really cuts off where it looks like it should, maybe these will perma-highbeam everyone on the road as they are. Much to discover.

edit: kensei your car looks awesome, I love the color. Love those fried eggs you have there too! LOL. It looks like a good polish will go a long way for it too. Enjoy and good luck!

double secret probation edit: if anyone wants to help diagnose what's going on with my ghetto xenons, here are some pics I took while adjusting: https://imgur.com/a/7bptOrD
Are you sure about that torque spec? I assume you are talking about the oil drain plug? My shop manual says 50nm/37ftlb. Which seems like a lot but there is a crush washer you need to deform too. Oh yeah, make sure you have a new crush washer.

My Bentley manual has the follow for headlight adjustment. It isn't much and probably nothing you haven't figured out on your own already.

Good job Kensai. :) I've always liked tan interiors.

e: Uh, have you checked your oil level?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 20, 2021

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

slidebite posted:

Good job Kensai. :) I've always liked tan interiors.

e: Uh, have you checked your oil level?

Haha yes, it is fine and passed the PPI just fine., I had literally just started it.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I wonder if I need to cycle the ignition on mine to get them to fully adjust. Probably not as I’m guessing that relates to the auto leveling.

I read one post on rennlist claiming some dealers would retrofit the xenons but without adding the auto leveling. Instead they did something else that still involved some wiring changes I believe. I wonder if that happened. Maybe Steinels can figure it out…

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Also for the LN plug it’s 26, not 19, sorry. Mine has it laser etched in it since so many places used the stock torque on it and sheared the head right off. This is probably still too low for my 25-200 wrench though right ?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Sheared the head? They are socket plugs.

No just turn your wrench right down it should be fine. I'm surprised it's that low with a crush washer tbh but :shrug:

Keep in mind NM =/ ftlb

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Go to harbor freight and grab a smaller torque wrench? Their 1/4" one goes down to 20ftlb which is pretty close to 26Nm. I grabbed a small one a couple years ago and have used it more than I thought I would.

Used the LN Engineering drain plug to pull a metal splinter out of my hand yesterday, magnet seems good. Have that as well as the Bilt 2qt sump, Bilt skid plate and LN spin on adapter ready for my first oil change next weekend. Sending off for oil analysis as well. Car is set to arrive sometime this week Tues-Thurs.

edit: Pilot Sport 4S still pretty much the go to performance commuter tire? Rears are nearing end of life so I'll probably take advantage of July 4th deals and replace all four.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jun 20, 2021

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

slidebite posted:

Sheared the head? They are socket plugs.

No just turn your wrench right down it should be fine. I'm surprised it's that low with a crush washer tbh but :shrug:

Keep in mind NM =/ ftlb

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/944740-ln-engineering-billet-oil-plug-fail.html

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Sorry - I thought you said yours had a sheared head, and it looked fine to me. Yeah, I'd say those are outright snapped! I'm surprised they do that. I put the full 50nm through my magnetic no problem and absolutely deforms the washer. I actually use my 1/2 torque wrench when doing mine as my 3/8 doesn't quite go that high.

And for some stupid reason I had nm scale for your wrench in my head (why I said turn it right down). Like Nitro says, get a smaller one. It's never a bad idea to have anyhow. Sorry about that, was getting late when I posted.

I've posted about it a few times but be prepared for the oil onrush when you remove that plug. It's impressive especially when warm. You've got 9L of oil acting as head too so it will make one heck of a mess if you are not ready. Make sure the pan is big and high sided. I've never had a vehicle that dumped oil like this thing. Little trick I learned is to not have the car super high. I actually put it at the middle height on my quickjack (when I remember) because it splashes pretty good otherwise. First time I changed the oil I actually had one of those pans that drains directly into the storage container to dump it and it couldn't swallow it fast enough. It was messy. First and only time I made that mistake.

NitroSpazzz posted:

edit: Pilot Sport 4S still pretty much the go to performance commuter tire? Rears are nearing end of life so I'll probably take advantage of July 4th deals and replace all four.
I'm curious to know as well.

e:

kensei posted:

Haha yes, it is fine and passed the PPI just fine., I had literally just started it.
That oil level display should be populated though. Maybe if you just jump in and turn the key without it cycling it goes blank. I don't think I've ever tried, but now I'm curious.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 20, 2021

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Office in my new place needs some colour.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

slidebite posted:

Sorry - I thought you said yours had a sheared head, and it looked fine to me. Yeah, I'd say those are outright snapped! I'm surprised they do that. I put the full 50nm through my magnetic no problem and absolutely deforms the washer. I actually use my 1/2 torque wrench when doing mine as my 3/8 doesn't quite go that high.

And for some stupid reason I had nm scale for your wrench in my head (why I said turn it right down). Like Nitro says, get a smaller one. It's never a bad idea to have anyhow. Sorry about that, was getting late when I posted.

I've posted about it a few times but be prepared for the oil onrush when you remove that plug. It's impressive especially when warm. You've got 9L of oil acting as head too so it will make one heck of a mess if you are not ready. Make sure the pan is big and high sided. I've never had a vehicle that dumped oil like this thing. Little trick I learned is to not have the car super high. I actually put it at the middle height on my quickjack (when I remember) because it splashes pretty good otherwise. First time I changed the oil I actually had one of those pans that drains directly into the storage container to dump it and it couldn't swallow it fast enough. It was messy. First and only time I made that mistake.

I'm curious to know as well.

e:

That oil level display should be populated though. Maybe if you just jump in and turn the key without it cycling it goes blank. I don't think I've ever tried, but now I'm curious.

No worries my man you've been nothing but super helpful with me. I'm no stranger to large oil capacities, my B7 S4 had 9.5qts, so I'll be good and ready. My plan is to back it up onto ramps and empty it that way. My driveway has a slight incline to it so I can get it relatively level even up on the ramps. From what I've read, having it level when draining is not totally necessary though.

I'm still considering just slapping the stock plug on there with my existing wrench at 37 ft lbs for this change. I don't really see the benefit of running a weaker magnetic plug. I guess I'll see if anything is on it when I remove it before deciding, lol. I'll keep an eye out for a good deal on a smaller wrench regardless.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

I went and checked, that light blinks for about 30 seconds when I start the car but the light goes off on it's own.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

How full was the bar? On my old 986 if I turned the accessories on it would give me an oil level read out and then turn off after a while. If it is showing empty even if you pull the stick and see there is oil in it while cold then something is not right.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

NitroSpazzz posted:

Depends entirely where you are and when you drive and what you mean by 'commuter'. Seattle can drop to 40-45 entirely at random which is sketchy to damaging for silly spec summers, or even just going over the passes in spring or fall, and my Cayman is my daily. That's why I went with the Conti DWS06 Plus. Way more treadwear rating and allegedly way quieter too. I'd call it less of an 'all season' tire and more of an 'all temperature' tire, but outstanding in the rain. Search directly by size instead of vehicle and bump the section by 10 if you need to, just as far as will fit on your rims anyway.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 21, 2021

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Is it normal for 996's to occasionally exhaust pop on overrun? I had it happen twice today while out giving it the beans.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

BigPaddy posted:

How full was the bar? On my old 986 if I turned the accessories on it would give me an oil level read out and then turn off after a while. If it is showing empty even if you pull the stick and see there is oil in it while cold then something is not right.

It's like 2/3 on the dip stick when I check it after it has been running, so I think it is okay but now you are worrying me a bit. Are you saying this should not be on for like 20-30 seconds when I start it?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

It can be on for that time but it should be giving you a reading. Worst case scenario is the sensor that feeds it data is not working. I wouldn’t let it stop you enjoying the car.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Thanks whoever recommended the cerakote kit, worked wonders on my nearly 10 year old housings.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Ranzear posted:

Depends entirely where you are and when you drive and what you mean by 'commuter'. Seattle can drop to 40-45 entirely at random which is sketchy to damaging for silly spec summers, or even just going over the passes in spring or fall, and my Cayman is my daily. That's why I went with the Conti DWS06 Plus. Way more treadwear rating and allegedly way quieter too. I'd call it less of an 'all season' tire and more of an 'all temperature' tire, but outstanding in the rain. Search directly by size instead of vehicle and bump the section by 10 if you need to, just as far as will fit on your rims anyway.
Very true, I should have been more specific about use and environment. I'll take a look at the DWS06. But my use is daily as well as mountains/backroads once or twice a month, Knoxville so mostly hot but decent amount of rain and winters mostly in the 40s with occasional days down to 20s.

Got a text from the driver as we were meeting up for Father's Day brunch that he would be arriving around 8pm last night. Good thing I sold an engine Saturday because I'm not sure how else I would have come up with the cash on a Sunday. Rural TN an enclosed transport in a walmart parking lot draws a lot of attention. He had to unload a T-bucket type hotrod, late 60's Mustang, new Corvette and a 50's Chevy coupe to get to the Cayman. By the time he got to mine there were several people watching and circling the lot, all the sketchiest looking people of course. We stuck around for him to load up then headed home. Imgur is being stupid so I'll get a picture up here later. Car is pretty filthy, needs a good detail and some new tires.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

willroc7 posted:

Is it normal for 996's to occasionally exhaust pop on overrun? I had it happen twice today while out giving it the beans.
What do you mean by overrun?

Driving the hell out of it and it popping when you let off the gas? I don't think I've head the 996 do that, but my bike does it all the time.

Next time I drive it I'll push it and see if it does it at all, but I don't think so...

kensei posted:

It's like 2/3 on the dip stick when I check it after it has been running, so I think it is okay but now you are worrying me a bit. Are you saying this should not be on for like 20-30 seconds when I start it?
The dipstick is the important one. So like Paddy says, if that shows a healthy oil amount I wouldn't sweat it, as it is a total different level sending unit for the dash display (obviously).

The way it works on my 996.1 is you put the key in, turn it to "on" the idiot lights cycle and the oil level sensor cycles on the far right cluster display and after a couple of seconds it shows the level. Then start it and after a moment the oil level LED goes away completely and instead displays the time.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

slidebite posted:

What do you mean by overrun?

Driving the hell out of it and it popping when you let off the gas? I don't think I've head the 996 do that, but my bike does it all the time.

Next time I drive it I'll push it and see if it does it at all, but I don't think so...

Yeah, popping when off the gas. It only happened after doing one 6-7k pull at the next start from a stop. I was doing a quick 1-2 shift to merge into traffic and when I quickly clutched in, the exhaust popped.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

willroc7 posted:

Yeah, popping when off the gas. It only happened after doing one 6-7k pull at the next start from a stop. I was doing a quick 1-2 shift to merge into traffic and when I quickly clutched in, the exhaust popped.

Not a Porsche but my straight 6 z4 does it all the time when I unload from foot down high rev acceleration.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

My boxster S doesn't do that and it is usually a sign of running rich. I have had boosted cars that do it because you tend to throw a bit more fuel down the engine just in case of boost creep and to keep the turbine cool.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
An exhaust leak can cause it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Interesting you mention that RE exhaust leak, pretty sure my header bolts need to get snugged up so that makes sense if that's the case.