Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Zaroff posted:

The Enterprise wasn’t a great ship

"For five hundred years every ship that has borne the name of the Enterprise has become a legend. This one is no different." -Admiral Nakamura

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/NoContextTrek/status/1406661737915559944?s=20

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I think it's easier to imagine TOS as a very parallel timeline; in other words, some but not all of the events of TOS were part of TNG's past.

Not all the works of a given franchise have to fit within the same overarching continuity.

Yeah, you have to handwave at least a bit or else come up with a reason why people temporarily forgot that women can actually captain starships.

The captain of the Saratoga in the fourth movie is a black lady, I wonder if the fans got in a kerfuffle about that. SJWs ruining the franchise since 1986.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think even at the time they were fanoning that poo poo away because the fandom thought it was ridiculous. Like that "Starship" was a particular super-elite class which only had the Connies and had not until that point had :females: in charge of them, but that female officers were represented in command in all the things below that.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

HopperUK posted:

Yeah, you have to handwave at least a bit or else come up with a reason why people temporarily forgot that women can actually captain starships.

The captain of the Saratoga in the fourth movie is a black lady, I wonder if the fans got in a kerfuffle about that. SJWs ruining the franchise since 1986.

I don't remember and maybe i was too young anyone caring that a gal was in a film. Of course in the 1980s if it was pg13 or higher you most likely saw at least 2 women topless randomly.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Teenaged-O'Neil in SG1 is hands down the best "teenager plays a fully grown man" i've ever seen, but the TNG one is pretty drat great. Especially how perfectly cracking his voice is.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

I'm also pretty sure he never expressed sexual interest in her

Which is such a drat low bar to clear but here we are

Kira is also, what, 20 to 30 years his junior and he wanted to bang her after her mom got too old for him/died. That's sufficiently Trumpy, isn't it?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

nine-gear crow posted:

Kira is also, what, 20 to 30 years his junior and he wanted to bang her after her mom got too old for him/died. That's sufficiently Trumpy, isn't it?

They should have gone with a "she's the daughter I never had", kind of thing, especially after Kira already had that "half-cardassian" scare and with him banging her mom.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Teenaged-O'Neil in SG1 is hands down the best "teenager plays a fully grown man" i've ever seen, but the TNG one is pretty drat great. Especially how perfectly cracking his voice is.

Rascals is kind of a bad episode, but the kid casting for Stewart and Whoopi was spot-on.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Rascals is kind of a bad episode, but the kid casting for Stewart and Whoopi was spot-on.

They already knew they had a good thing going with David Tristan Birkin (young Picard), because he had already played Picard's nephew René in Family two years prior.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Timby posted:

They already knew they had a good thing going with David Tristan Birkin (young Picard), because he had already played Picard's nephew René in Family two years prior.

:monocle:

I guess that bowl cut in Family really threw me off, because I never realized this

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

nine-gear crow posted:

Kirk, Picard, Janeway and Sisko have all attacked and dethroned god at least one during their careers.

name names

kirk - appolo
picard - the devil

but sisko and janeway i need some help on

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Sisko had Q and the Pah-Wraiths for sure.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Timby posted:

not only that, Isis J. Jones played a young Whoopi earlier that year in Sister Act.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Janeway killed the manifestation of fear in that ice clown episode

Also helped a Q kill himself

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
In a series with better character development, Janeway would have slowly gone insane and become the villain of the series. Hell, then you could give Chakotay something to do and have him become the bastion of Starfleet ideals in the Delta Quadrant, shedding his Maquis past.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

HD DAD posted:

In a series with better character development, Janeway would have slowly gone insane and become the villain of the series. Hell, then you could give Chakotay something to do and have him become the bastion of Starfleet ideals in the Delta Quadrant, shedding his Maquis past.

That's a really good idea, actually. Imagine an alternate universe Voyager where the burden of stranding her crew in the delta quadrant gradually turns Janeway into a Helena Cain clone. I would gladly watch a Voyager like that; I think Mulgrew would have excelled in a 'darker Janeway' role.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

No Luck Needed posted:

name names

kirk - appolo
picard - the devil

Kirk also smoked God in Final Frontier. And he took out several computers which were objects of worship

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Now that I think about it, I find it really interesting that Roddenberry was an atheist (I think?) and yet Star Trek is full of gods, demigods and god-like creatures: Gary Mitchell, Trelane, Organians, the brains of Triskelion, the beings of Return To Tomorrow, M-5, Kirok, Q, Riker (briefly a Q), Ardra (Devil's Due), the Bajoran Prophets, the Sha-Ka-Ree god....

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Now that I think about it, I find it really interesting that Roddenberry was an atheist (I think?) and yet Star Trek is full of gods, demigods and god-like creatures: Gary Mitchell, Trelane, Organians, the brains of Triskelion, the beings of Return To Tomorrow, M-5, Kirok, Q, Riker (briefly a Q), Ardra (Devil's Due), the Bajoran Prophets, the Sha-Ka-Ree god....

Yeah but they're all 'Oh they look like gods but it turns out they're not'.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
idk Apollo seemed authentic to me. Funny how the temple gave him powers. Maybe he and the gang had a flop house on Mt Olympus?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's kinda the whole thing that Stargate got built around where every god is actually some kind of space alien malicious or otherwise, but eventually you meet omnipotent beings against which you start wondering what actually qualifies as a god because they sure seem to meet the definition.

Which is a really weird kind of territory theologically.

Not pictured: His offscreen wife and kids that left him for acknowledging her.

Also relevant:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

MikeJF posted:

Yeah but they're all 'Oh they look like gods but it turns out they're not'.

The one exception that I can think of is Bread and Circuses, where the "son" god turns out to be an alien form of Jesus Christ. I think it's a really weird angle for that episode to take, on a writing and a theological level.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

No Luck Needed posted:

name names

kirk - appolo
picard - the devil

Janeway also rolled the Borg Queen, several times in fact, and she is pretty drat close to being a physical god in terms of the power she wields to reshape existence to her whims via the Collective.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

That's one of the things I like about the Prophets, to Starfleet they just get filed away under "extradimensional godlike beings" somewhere between Q and the Organians but the Bajorans just keep on believing in them, hell they've even got proof they exist, can see the future, and interfere in mortal affairs

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Two of the first three episodes of Star Trek ever aired are about a human god entering the ship. The third is about a bisexual predatory superbeing entering the ship

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

That's one of the things I like about the Prophets, to Starfleet they just get filed away under "extradimensional godlike beings" somewhere between Q and the Organians but the Bajorans just keep on believing in them, hell they've even got proof they exist, can see the future, and interfere in mortal affairs

Yeah I like that the Federation keeps attempting to describe them in the sciencey terms they understand and the Bajorans are just like, "yes, correct, and what you are describing is a god, deal with it"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Rascals could have worked better if they'd leaned into it as a comedy episode, but late-TNG has a huge warp nacelle up its own rear end.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

StashAugustine posted:

The Sisko had to basically twist their arms on that last part :v:

HD DAD posted:

While good I don't think it would have been good at the time to prove Turnabout Intruder right. Although admittedly Mulgrew would've easily made an evil/crazy Janeway work.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBrqWVEa7a4

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Angry_Ed posted:

While good I don't think it would have been good at the time to prove Turnabout Intruder right. Although admittedly Mulgrew would've easily made an evil/crazy Janeway work.

I still can't believe that TOS ends on an episode whose moral is basically "Women should not be in command because they're all insane." :doh:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The one exception that I can think of is Bread and Circuses, where the "son" god turns out to be an alien form of Jesus Christ. I think it's a really weird angle for that episode to take, on a writing and a theological level.

Gene Coon was much more spiritual and in tune with religions beyond bog-standard Christianity, and that's why the episode turned out that way. Coon did some pretty substantial rewrites on Roddenberry's original draft.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The last episode of TOS is All Our Yesterdays :colbert:

Timby posted:

Gene Coon was much more spiritual and in tune with religions beyond bog-standard Christianity, and that's why the episode turned out that way. Coon did some pretty substantial rewrites on Roddenberry's original draft.

Huh. I didn't know that. Not surprised about the rewrites, though, if stuff like Omega Glory is the result of Roddenberry writing an episode.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Angry_Ed posted:

I love Psycho Janeway, but it wouldn't work if it was canon. Unless they leaned all the way into it and she was successful in her conquest of the Beta quadrant after giving Shinzon the Scimitar.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

I still can't believe that TOS ends on an episode whose moral is basically "Women should not be in command because they're all insane." :doh:

I may be misremembering because I probably watched that one once 30 years ago, but the moral was "this woman is insane." Janice goes about it the wrong way but she is trying to right a wrong and get a chance to command.

It was hamhanded, but the point of the episode wasn't to uphold 20th century patriarchal standards and advocate women staying in the kitchen. TOS isn't progressive by today's standards but it was for the time and they were trying to get positive messages across.

They were trying to say "sexism is bad," but they went about it in a really dumb fashion, starting with the idea that 300 years from now women couldn't rise high in a fleet shown since S1E1 as being mixed gender (and race, with hispanic and black flag officers). There was probably a more subtle way to have a morality tale against sexism.

OTOH, modern tv can be just as bad. Doctor Who had an episode about Rosa Parks which postulated that in an alien filled Year 8000, there are still white racist humans who hate brown people enough to want to go back in time and keep them down. Like the idea that women couldn't rise above rank of Commander in Starfleet, it stretches credulity while trying to talk about a serious modern issue.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Astroman posted:

OTOH, modern tv can be just as bad. Doctor Who had an episode about Rosa Parks which postulated that in an alien filled Year 8000, there are still white racist humans who hate brown people enough to want to go back in time and keep them down. Like the idea that women couldn't rise above rank of Commander in Starfleet, it stretches credulity while trying to talk about a serious modern issue.

lol, every time I hear about NuWho it makes me even more glad I stopped watching years ago

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Astroman posted:

I may be misremembering because I probably watched that one once 30 years ago, but the moral was "this woman is insane." Janice goes about it the wrong way but she is trying to right a wrong and get a chance to command.

It was hamhanded, but the point of the episode wasn't to uphold 20th century patriarchal standards and advocate women staying in the kitchen. TOS isn't progressive by today's standards but it was for the time and they were trying to get positive messages across.

They were trying to say "sexism is bad," but they went about it in a really dumb fashion, starting with the idea that 300 years from now women couldn't rise high in a fleet shown since S1E1 as being mixed gender (and race, with hispanic and black flag officers). There was probably a more subtle way to have a morality tale against sexism.

I'm probably letting the SF Debris review of Turnabout Intruder colour my impressions of it as an episode, because Chuck just went double barrels on the sexism elements of it, those intended in the script and accidentally expressed all the same.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/realGulDukat/status/1406833873422630917?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I saw a really great piece of fanart the other day that was a family portrait with Sarek, Amanda, Sybok, Spock and Michael and it was basically just "Before things went to poo poo..." I wish I could find it.

Found it:

https://twitter.com/jimbleskirk/status/1400773082420285443

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 21, 2021