Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

dorium posted:

I always forget there's a front page to discogs. My bookmark just goes straight to my dashboard.

It's in the explore section of the app too. Good to see that sales fee hike of 2% has been put to good use, considering this is at least the third time it has happened that I have seen. It happens on the weekends, too, which leads to high level contributors acting like hot poo poo and people who don't know how voting works wind up mutilating submission histories.

Bad stuff all around. Never let users change the data on your home page, especially if it is a recurring issue. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Imagine being that bootleg Beck looking dustache having dweeb and calling yourself the master race.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

petit choux posted:

Just one of many I've picked up lately. This guy is so stylish. Never heard of him before.

quote:

Gordon "Specs" Powell (June 5, 1922 – September 15, 2007) was a jazz drummer who began performing in the swing era.

Specs was the first black staff musician hired by CBS in 1943. Born in New York City, he started on piano but became exclusively a drummer in the late 1930s. He worked with Edgar Hayes (1939), Benny Carter (1941–42), and Ben Webster. He played percussion on the Ed Sullivan Show in the early 1960s and remained active professionally until the 1970s. In 2004 he was inducted into the Big Band Jazz Hall of Fame.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
My favourite part of using MoFi sleeves is playing the game of Insert the Record Back Into the Jacket without Bending a Corner.

I went to my store but they only had mofi copycats. Gimme the polylined paper sleeves please. They have actual Structural Integrity® and can be Used™, which I find Valuable©. :thumbsup:

I would buy these paper inners from my shop if they had them in stock, but I’m not gonna feel guilty about going online. The guy asked if I wanted to order them. Yeah, let me give you extra money for the same sleeves I could order online myself and an extra few bucks because ???. Why don’t I just save us all the trouble and buy them online and then come over and give you money for no reason? Gotta support your local Guy Who Buys Stuff Online and then Sells it to You for a Profit.

The value of a record store is having stuff there, having a relationship with customers, all that good poo poo. If you’re just buying something online for me, I feel pretty silly. And I say this having done just this several times.

And thanks to CPL and yonder Lamprey for the Sparks recs, I may track them down on CD.

Sorry if I sound down. It’s been a weird weekend. Power went down yesterday and won’t be back until midday tomorrow at the soonest. I’m gonna go to the river for a few hours.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

pwn posted:

My favourite part of using MoFi sleeves is playing the game of Insert the Record Back Into the Jacket without Bending a Corner.

I went to my store but they only had mofi copycats. Gimme the polylined paper sleeves please. They have actual Structural Integrity® and can be Used™, which I find Valuable©. :thumbsup:

I would buy these paper inners from my shop if they had them in stock, but I’m not gonna feel guilty about going online. The guy asked if I wanted to order them. Yeah, let me give you extra money for the same sleeves I could order online myself and an extra few bucks because ???. Why don’t I just save us all the trouble and buy them online and then come over and give you money for no reason? Gotta support your local Guy Who Buys Stuff Online and then Sells it to You for a Profit.

The value of a record store is having stuff there, having a relationship with customers, all that good poo poo. If you’re just buying something online for me, I feel pretty silly. And I say this having done just this several times.

And thanks to CPL and yonder Lamprey for the Sparks recs, I may track them down on CD.

Sorry if I sound down. It’s been a weird weekend. Power went down yesterday and won’t be back until midday tomorrow at the soonest. I’m gonna go to the river for a few hours.

I got into the habit of keeping the record in sleeve outside the jacket. If you have something valuable it protects the original inner sleeve, and if you have something old and fragile it keeps the jacket from getting worn. It’s also extremely dorky though. But it solves your problem of mofi sleeves being hard to get back in the jacket.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I've always considered the one folded sleeve corner kind of charming tbh.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

pwn posted:

Yes do this, it's much cheaper and easier to track down the CDs than it is to get the vinyl. I just ordered a raft of them myself across ebay, amazon, and their official website. This is because some of the songs that were in the documentary that I like weren't on the 4 LP soundtrack, nor are they on the greatest hits I nabbed to dip my toes in. The only thing that sucks is most of them are coming in from the UK of course, so I get to wait, woo.

And speaking of the documentary it is long but is probably the best and most thorough explanation of their career and the musical styles/idea behind each major album in chronological order. Good for a noob like me that doesn't have each album memorized as to what kind of music it contains.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The best thing about mofi sleeves is having to burp them as they partially stick out so they slide right into the outer sleeve instead of leaving a bubble while it’s in there.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

The best thing about mofi sleeves is having to burp them as they partially stick out so they slide right into the outer sleeve instead of leaving a bubble while it’s in there.

I think people not knowing that you occasionally have to do this is why some people don't like them. With most album covers I don't have this issue but I noticed a lot of older European pressings of stuff have slightly smaller album covers and getting a sleeve in there is tricky.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I keep getting those bubbles, will these damage the record over time?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Read After Burning posted:

Yes. You should just mail all of those records to me so I can safely dispose of them.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Read After Burning posted:

It will burst any day now and then your records will be worthless or so we keep telling ourselves.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

CaptainBeefart posted:

I've always considered the one folded sleeve corner kind of charming tbh.

Same. I don't think it's really doing any harm in any way

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Last time we ordered inner sleeves, MoFi was out so we got some from Big Fudge. They look identical aside from the logo, but they must be like a millimeter wider or something because most of them refuse to easily slide in and pretty much always end up crinkled or with air bubbles. They work fine but it's oddly frustrating.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

CPL593H posted:

Yes. You should just mail all of those records to me so I can safely dispose of them.

A huge box containing a bunch of vaporwave and bluegrass is headed your way! :P

Speaking of, if any of y'all are in Europe, Hiraeth Records is moving offices/production/etc, so they're having a big sale on their website.

https://hiraethrecords.com/shop/

A couple of recommendations from me are some new-age/vaporwave/etc. from Chile, featuring lots of pan flute:
https://hiraethrecords.com/product/...le-black-vinyl/

And synth:
https://hiraethrecords.com/product/auragraph-memory-tracer-glass-vinyl/

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I just bought 21 Garth Brooks records because I don't know poo poo about Garth Brooks. :buddy:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

He's got friends in low places OP

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

I just bought 21 Garth Brooks records because I don't know poo poo about Garth Brooks. :buddy:

Chris Gaines or GTFO.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Chris Gaines or GTFO.
I need the full Garth Brooks context before I can truly appreciate Chris Gaines.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

caligulamprey posted:

He got banned from CMT once for making a song and music video about an abused wife shooting her rear end in a top hat husband in the face and refused to let them edit that part out

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

caligulamprey posted:

Great pop country, sincerely. I’m envious!

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Great pop country, sincerely. I’m envious!

The Garth Brooks box set goes on sale for sub $20 on Amazon. I bought the three box box set last time lol. (Yeah there are three variants and it cost 40 ish bux) I gave one to a goon as a prize for listening to my radio show (they gave it to thier momma), kept one and one will be a hilarious white elephant gift if I ever go to a social gathering again.

Edit. Wow if you are a prime member it is $18 haha holy poo poo.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 22, 2021

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

CPL593H posted:

Chris Gaines or GTFO.

I always thought the whole Chris Gaines experiment was hilarious. Why didn't he just say, "Yes, I'm a country guy, but I also like rock music. Here's my rock music album. Buy it or don't."

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I always thought the whole Chris Gaines experiment was hilarious. Why didn't he just say, "Yes, I'm a country guy, but I also like rock music. Here's my rock music album. Buy it or don't."
You don't have a narrative hook if you do just that. :getin:

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Mister Kingdom posted:

It was supposed the soundtrack for a movie that never happened. There was also a fake Behind the Music episode.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Mister Kingdom posted:

Did you listen to the Chris Gaines album? It needed all the help it could get.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I liked Chris Gaines’s Greatest Hits

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Found this at a Goodwill yesterday.

Not my photo. My cover looks a little better, but the seams are half split. There's one scratch on the disc, but not a bad one. It's a 10" pressing, slightly more flexible than, but as thick as shellac (this one, according to Discogs).

The collection had pressings on 45s, shellac and on this in-between 10".

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

sporklift posted:

The Garth Brooks box set goes on sale for sub $20 on Amazon. I bought the three box box set last time lol. (Yeah there are three variants and it cost 40 ish bux) I gave one to a goon as a prize for listening to my radio show (they gave it to thier momma), kept one and one will be a hilarious white elephant gift if I ever go to a social gathering again.

Edit. Wow if you are a prime member it is $18 haha holy poo poo.

Not seeing this, unfortunately.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

What’s the link dude? I collect purple vapor.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

stealie72 posted:

Not seeing this, unfortunately.
It shows up as $18 on the checkout page. That's the ultimate package with the three sets, the individual sets are $14 but gently caress that. Go big or go home.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

caligulamprey posted:

It shows up as $18 on the checkout page. That's the ultimate package with the three sets, the individual sets are $14 but gently caress that. Go big or go home.
Got it.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

caligulamprey posted:

I forgot I had 10 dollars in Amazon credit and bought this and an extension cable for like 13 dollars out of pocket. Just lol @ 21 lps and 21 CDs for 18 bucks.

I wonder if Garth regrets keeping all his music off streaming for the past decade or so. Or maybe the Venn diagram of vinyl enthusiasts and country music fans doesn’t overlap all that much?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I'm not even sure who his core audience is anymore but he is a hell of a songwriter/performer regardless of genre. He's basically country Billy Joel.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

stealie72 posted:

hell of a songwriter/performer

Billy Joel.

Does not compute.

pwn
May 27, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

That’s insane. I got it late last year when they were $45. I never got around to selling off the extras, so I guess I have all three. Incredible.

Speaking of incredible,

Thank you Turbinosamente, helping goons get gud since 2020

Also have this photo from my walk tonight.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Hekk posted:

I forgot I had 10 dollars in Amazon credit and bought this and an extension cable for like 13 dollars out of pocket. Just lol @ 21 lps and 21 CDs for 18 bucks.

I wonder if Garth regrets keeping all his music off streaming for the past decade or so. Or maybe the Venn diagram of vinyl enthusiasts and country music fans doesn’t overlap all that much?

Nope, it does. It pre-sold over a million copies. I remember a year or more ago looking up the total sales figures for 2019 and it was impressive. They just simply have leftover stock.

Edit: I saw copies of the Analog unnumbered No Fences at Target the other day. I’m betting that they’re liquidating the Limited Numbered Series box sets whole and piecing out the unnumbered sets, though that’s just me speculating.

pwn fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 22, 2021

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Has anyone pressed a record in colour changing vinyl? It would be such a cruel tease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

Has anyone pressed a record in colour changing vinyl? It would be such a cruel tease.

Technically the color changes if you touch the playing surface like a goddamn animal.