Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Trash Ops posted:

i am still immensely proud of buying that av

I looooove yellow hitler. I do, I do, I doooo-oooooo.
                                                                         \

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

the forums china watchers must be its most deranged posters

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

The Philippines signed its biggest supply deal for vaccines in 2021, procuring 40 million doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, vaccine czar Carlito Galvez Jr announced on Sunday, June 20.

"Secretary Duque and I signed yesterday the supply agreement for the biggest and most decisive deal we had for 2021,” Galvez said in a statement.

Galvez said the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines are expected to arrive in the Philippines “after eight weeks starting August."

This latest deal raises the total secured vaccines up for delivery to 113 million, which also comprises 26 million Sinovac doses, 20 million Moderna doses, 17 million Astrazeneca doses, and 10 million Sputnik doses.

Galvez also said the Philippines is set to gain 40 million doses from the COVAX global vaccine-sharing pact.

Pfizer-made vaccines are one of the most preferred by Filipinos, according to an April to May 2021 survey by Social Weather Stations.

It is also considered one of the most effective at preventing COVID-19 infection. Phase 3 trial data reported in late 2020 showed Pfizer’s vaccine demonstrated an efficacy of 95% against symptomatic COVID-19 seven days after the second dose was completed.

The massive procurement positions the Philippines closer to reaching widespread immunity. The government targets achieving herd immunity, or vaccinating 70 million Filipinos, by the end of 2021.

In his statement, Galvez said local governments must gear up to increase vaccination rates and to prevent any spoilage. The Pfizer vaccine requires storage temperatures between -80 to -60 degrees Celsius.

153 million doses total comes out to 76.5 million fully vaccinated people, or a little over 70% of the entire population (I'm not sure how much of our population falls outside of the age-range for being eligible for vaccines)

If Duterte actually pulls this off and manages to buy enough Pfizer/Moderna to get even the Sinophobes to get vaxxed, while also vaxxing enough people before the May 2022 elections to cause cases to plummet (and assuming the Delta variant doesn't gently caress it all up), his daughter is going to be able to run on a legacy of "my father lead the country out of the worst crisis it has ever faced" and be a shoe-in to win because she wouldn't even be technically wrong.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it really is kind of amazing that trump would have easily won if he gave even the slightest poo poo about covid

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

The brown moses thread turning into a D&D honeypot is hilarious

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Ringo Roadagain posted:

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Not So Fast posted:

And another one just now got outed as a rape apologist who went unpunished in dnd and ate a ban +30 in qcs
Lmfao

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Me watching China: "Haha gently caress yeah!!! Yes!!"

Me bleeding out on the street in America, homeless with no healthcare, shot by a mass-shooter who had an FBI handler for months: "Well this loving sucks. What the gently caress."

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
But did you know China did X bad and why are people still denying it? Trust me I'm just a unbiased neutral truth seeker here

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

153 million doses total comes out to 76.5 million fully vaccinated people, or a little over 70% of the entire population (I'm not sure how much of our population falls outside of the age-range for being eligible for vaccines)

If Duterte actually pulls this off and manages to buy enough Pfizer/Moderna to get even the Sinophobes to get vaxxed, while also vaxxing enough people before the May 2022 elections to cause cases to plummet (and assuming the Delta variant doesn't gently caress it all up), his daughter is going to be able to run on a legacy of "my father lead the country out of the worst crisis it has ever faced" and be a shoe-in to win because she wouldn't even be technically wrong.

But doesn't the US want the other guys to win? So maybe the Moderna delivery will be late. I don't know whether the Pfizer vaccines will be made in Germany or the US.

BTW is Drterte going to be the vice president of his daughter?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
listened to a minute of the BBC world service on the radio a few hours ago and they were beaming about the UNITED FRONT put on by the beaming G7 to meet the china challenge

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

listened to a minute of the BBC world service on the radio a few hours ago and they were beaming about the UNITED FRONT put on by the beaming G7 to meet the china challenge

United front my rear end

smh live stealing commie honor

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/xhnews/status/1406531973724590082?s=21
Chinese state propaganda is getting better. Also: LOL!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

stephenthinkpad posted:

But doesn't the US want the other guys to win? So maybe the Moderna delivery will be late. I don't know whether the Pfizer vaccines will be made in Germany or the US.

BTW is Drterte going to be the vice president of his daughter?

I've said this many times before but Duterte has not materially changed the relationship between the Philippines and the United States one whit. Insofar as a Liberal Party president might be more vocally supportive of the US, and vocally antagonistic towards China, I'm very confident in saying that the US will be just fine if Sara Duterte, the daughter, wins the election in May.

Whether Rodrigo Duterte will try to run for VP in tandem with his daughter is a possibility, but I'm not willing to bet on it just yet. He loves throwing out all sorts of curveball electoral scenarios, and he's "endorsed" maybe half a dozen different people to be President, and then also told his daughter to NOT run, so it's all jello trying to stick to the wall to try and divine his final intentions. The only thing I'm sure of so far is that Sara Duterte will definitely run for President, and so will Manny Pacquiao.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The Iranian vote total looks like it was about 48%, with about a 14% blank / purposefully void ballots. Raisi ended up getting 62% of the vote.

Pretty dogshit considering they usually have a 70% turnout normally and void / blank ballots are normally less than 3% historically

Grapplejack has issued a correction as of 12:20 on Jun 20, 2021

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Grapplejack posted:

The Iranian vote total looks like it was about 48%, with about a 14% blank / purposefully void ballots. Raisi ended up getting 62% of the vote.

Pretty dogshit considering they usually have a 70% turnout normally and void / blank ballots are normally less than 3% historically

do they have absentee ballots? I’d imagine after COVID not many people are either happy or willing to go to polling places

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Hedenius posted:

https://twitter.com/xhnews/status/1406531973724590082?s=21
Chinese state propaganda is getting better. Also: LOL!
Those skeletons look pretty happy.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/Thom_astro/status/1405883712722571268

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Those skeletons look pretty happy.

they have to be polite, its canada

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

new zenz preprint
https://twitter.com/drStuartGilmour/status/1406446549974978562

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

do they have absentee ballots? I’d imagine after COVID not many people are either happy or willing to go to polling places

iirc they don't which explains the bad turnout but the void ballots are a much more important factor; 14% is wild, the norm for them is 3% and I'd attribute that largely to the massive number of bans that came out from the GC; a lot of popular candidates got nixed, it was a clinton-esque deck clearing.

https://twitter.com/gsuberland/status/1406335438856544259

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Was it Iran where the Minister for health gave an interview while visibly suffering from covid?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

genericnick posted:

Was it Iran where the Minister for health gave an interview while visibly suffering from covid?

Deputy Health Minister, but otherwise yes.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Raskolnikov38 posted:

it’s a quote from a user permabanned for calling for the mass stabbing of all Han

uhhhhhh

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've said this many times before but Duterte has not materially changed the relationship between the Philippines and the United States one whit. Insofar as a Liberal Party president might be more vocally supportive of the US, and vocally antagonistic towards China, I'm very confident in saying that the US will be just fine if Sara Duterte, the daughter, wins the election in May.

Whether Rodrigo Duterte will try to run for VP in tandem with his daughter is a possibility, but I'm not willing to bet on it just yet. He loves throwing out all sorts of curveball electoral scenarios, and he's "endorsed" maybe half a dozen different people to be President, and then also told his daughter to NOT run, so it's all jello trying to stick to the wall to try and divine his final intentions. The only thing I'm sure of so far is that Sara Duterte will definitely run for President, and so will Manny Pacquiao.

the boxer?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Agrajag posted:

the boxer?

He's a senator now.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Agrajag posted:

the boxer?

manny pacquiao is also a senator, you can see him on this list here

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Agrajag posted:

the boxer?

sir, the senator

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
'mining farm'

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I was at a bookstore recently and I came upon a translation of a Barefoot Doctor's manual from Hunan from 1970, I was actually a bit surprised about its contents. The traditional line I have heard in the West is more or less that Mao dismissed Western medicine and forced TCM on the population because of ignorance/paranoia when in reality the manual itself was around 90% Western medicine in a very condensed format with some TCM on the side (a small section on Acupuncture and some tables on herbs pretty much).

I guess the fact that there is any TCM in there at all suppose to be an indictment but honestly it seems mostly palliative not really different in how herbal/alternative medicine is treated in the West. Also, of course, I have also noticed that TCM is now oddly enough widespread on the West coast outside of Chinese communities, it especially seems in the last 2-3 years.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I think that's largely attributable to how American healthcare is such a hell nightmare that people would rather try TCM and hope for the best

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Ardennes posted:

I was at a bookstore recently and I came upon a translation of a Barefoot Doctor's manual from Hunan from 1970, I was actually a bit surprised about its contents. The traditional line I have heard in the West is more or less that Mao dismissed Western medicine and forced TCM on the population because of ignorance/paranoia when in reality the manual itself was around 90% Western medicine in a very condensed format with some TCM on the side (a small section on Acupuncture and some tables on herbs pretty much).

I guess the fact that there is any TCM in there at all suppose to be an indictment but honestly it seems mostly palliative not really different in how herbal/alternative medicine is treated in the West. Also, of course, I have also noticed that TCM is now oddly enough widespread on the West coast outside of Chinese communities, it especially seems in the last 2-3 years.

how do you explain TCM in Taiwan or the insane life expectancy growth if you believe Mao forced TCM on China, dummy

like one of the most romanticized things about the revolution is doctors going out and helping people

edit: the barefoot doctors probably represent the greatest campaign for the modernization and accessibility of medicine in history by any government, it was not only an out of hand gesture to get some kind of political legitimacy. It really altered the outcome of life in the countryside. The cultural revolution sucked for the educated, middle class people who now tell the story of China's history, but was probably a time of positive reforms for the countryside, much like Stalinism had its own benefactors. The horror of professors being killed by their students and so on is too inexact a price to pay of course but Mao wasn't Sauron ushering in all things dark and depraved. You're basically shocked a GBS thread full of the colonial mindset might have guessed a part of history wrong.

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 00:13 on Jun 21, 2021

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

It's also a bullshit framing that it's chinese medicine vs western medicine, when the reality is its "tradition" based medicine vs. evidence based medicine but that's another argument altogether

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Antonymous posted:

how do you explain TCM in Taiwan or the insane life expectancy growth if you believe Mao forced TCM on China, dummy

like one of the most romanticized things about the revolution is doctors going out and helping people

edit: the barefoot doctors probably represent the greatest campaign for the modernization and accessibility of medicine in history by any government, it was not only an out of hand gesture to get some kind of political legitimacy. It really altered the outcome of life in the countryside. The cultural revolution sucked for the educated, middle class people who now tell the story of China's history, but was probably a time of positive reforms for the countryside, much like Stalinism had its own benefactors. The horror of professors being killed by their students and so on is too inexact a price to pay of course but Mao wasn't Sauron ushering in all things dark and depraved. You're basically shocked a GBS thread full of the colonial mindset might have guessed a part of history wrong.

Stop sitting on your balls, I said it was the Western line. I was only surprised about how little TCM was even in there.

As for the evidence based versus non evidence based, isn’t there an increasing amount of work done on TCM? Isn’t at least some herbal medicine permissive from modern medical science? Is drinking mint tea for a sore stomach, the absolutely most insane horrible thing to ever exist?

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 00:33 on Jun 21, 2021

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

yeah there was a nobel prize given for a specific chinese traditional medicine 2015 because it was found to prevent malaria.

the difference is that in one the basis of why something is prescribed is "tradition" (which could be decades, centuries, or what's often implied, millennia), the other is clinical evidence. Or as the joke goes "what do you call traditional chinese medicine that's been proven to work? Western medicine."

but the east/west thing is bullshit

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

is this worth reading? i just scrolled around and found this

zenz posted:

This language is akin to purported statements by Xinjiang officials that problem populations are like “weeds hidden among the crops” where the state will “need to spray chemicals to kill them all” (Zenz 2018, 21).

why does he feel the need to reference himself here rather than the source, and there is even a qualifier "purport"

anyway, not sure how much time i want to devote to studying this topic as i don't have any power over what china does; am skeptical that any of this will lead to (trade) war, but don't want to contribute bad vibes to the noosphere. seem to be v strong feelings about all this in gbs and dnd

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, there is also a lot of off the shelf Western herbs/compounds that is pretty much TCM, but you can pick it up from CVS (or whatever) and people don’t think about it. Seabands are a good example, it is literally just accupressure but no one cares because of the packaging it is put in.

It isn’t also bunch of problematic practices, it is usually just those practices are highlighted to discredit more mundane practices. Just because tiger dongs exist doesn’t mean everything is just a bunch of tiger dongs.

Some of it improve with time as there will be a sorting process and the more “mystic” side of TCM is stripped out. Look at cannabis, medical marijuana used to be a joke and now has more or less been incorporated into modern medicine.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 01:59 on Jun 21, 2021

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Corky Romanovsky posted:

anyway, not sure how much time i want to devote to studying this topic as i don't have any power over what china does; am skeptical that any of this will lead to (trade) war, but don't want to contribute bad vibes to the noosphere. seem to be v strong feelings about all this in gbs and dnd
here's some broad podcast episodes that will help you get the gist while getting to root of the most outrageous claims: Uyghur Oppression
Carl Zha is still critical of what he describes as heavy handed responses to extremist terrorist attacks, but dispels Zenz/US propaganda. actually I never listened to this ep, but I'm assuming the hosts of Radio War Nerd may make this more engaging than Carl's own podcast version where I started.

for a good laugh and learn more about how insane that the supposedly best "expert" the US could send is an evangelical german pervert named Adrian Zenz, I recommend this Radio War Nerd ep (fast forward to 48 minutes: Cold War-2 Bloopers: Amnesty, Navalny & Zenz. they dissect his career and for dessert they read Zenz's book about the Rapture

edit: the annoying thing about this whole topic is that Zenz, the media, and the US dept can churn out more crap faster than people can dispel and disprove it

Zmej has issued a correction as of 03:10 on Jun 21, 2021

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
rehearsals for the big show on july 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A87rGC3dqy0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Not So Fast posted:

Huge victory for humanity. Also hilarious at the idea it would have been closed, remains open lol