Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Thank you to the goons who recommended micron pens for shading. Holy cow this is way better and easier than using a brush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Electric Hobo posted:

For the first time in 30 years, I have Space Marined.

He serves both a test of the color scheme for my epic scale marines, and an entry into my FLGS' paint-a-marine-in-a-non-standard-scheme contest.

This color scheme rules.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Has anyone used msa varnish with uvls (Matte) for varnishing Miniatures? What about Winsor Newton artist gloss varnish?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Electric Hobo posted:

For the first time in 30 years, I have Space Marined.

He serves both a test of the color scheme for my epic scale marines, and an entry into my FLGS' paint-a-marine-in-a-non-standard-scheme contest.

That's a great scheme, really pops, and the base is great too!

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Does anyone have advice for painting purple skin? Trying to go for a WoW night elf kind of tone.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Mikey Purp posted:

Does anyone have advice for painting purple skin? Trying to go for a WoW night elf kind of tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ehZW-pJ0hs

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
WIP, but I'm really pleased with how this is coming out.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

You should be, it looks great! Is it a 3d print?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It is Artisan's Guild's Kurkalla the TIde Tyrant.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

PoptartsNinja posted:

Looks really good, have you converted to the church of drybrush too?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Spanish Manlove posted:

Looks really good, have you converted to the church of drybrush too?

I've been drybrushing for years, it's just one tool in my arsenal.

Edit: My white dragon was primarily drybrushed!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 19, 2021

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

punishedkissinger posted:

Can anyone give me the rundown on retarders?

I've been using the same $1.49 2oz bottle of Folk Art Acrylic Extender for like 20 years and it works great

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

PoptartsNinja posted:

I've been drybrushing for years, it's just one tool in my arsenal.

Edit: My white dragon was primarily drybrushed!

What model is this? Looks great!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
That's the Pathfinder Deep Cuts Gargantuan White Dragon.

There're some things I don't like about it, but it's the best of the three Pathfinder gargantuan dragons.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Finished a couple figures enough to go in the background on my t-34 display

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 19, 2021

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Entry for the next comp at my lgs. This months theme is The Healer. Trying to go for a cartoony look now with highlights, it's fun

And the party so far

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
That looks great!

The other guy.gives me Shovel Knight vibes.

blue collar orc
Feb 13, 2012

There are a bunch of different mediums and concoctions out there and i do not really understand the use for many of them.

I have at my hobby desk:
  • airbrush thinner: thins paint for use in an airbrush (doh!)
  • flow medium: altso thins paint? It aslo seems to increases drying time
  • quickshade wash mixing medium: for thinning washes? or perhaps it's for mixing your own washes from paint? it is quit soapy or gloopy
There is also lamian medium from gw, which i guess also thins paint :confused:

Do i really need airbrush thinner or can i just thin my paints with flow medium or water?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

blue collar orc posted:

There are a bunch of different mediums and concoctions out there and i do not really understand the use for many of them.

I have at my hobby desk:
  • quickshade wash mixing medium: for thinning washes? or perhaps it's for mixing your own washes from paint? it is quit soapy or gloopy

Do i really need airbrush thinner or can i just thin my paints with flow medium or water?

Each thins in a different way and has a different purpose.

If you’re using airbrush ready paint like Vallejo Model Air, then you don’t really need to use thinner you can get away with just a bit of flow improver.
If on the other hand you’re using regular thicker paints like Citadel or Vallejo Game color you should use thinner to get it to the right general consistency and then add a little flow improver to dial it in. If you only use flow improver your paint will not dry properly and you’ll get spiderwebbing, if you only use thinner you’ll get dry tip.

I’ve never used quickshade wash, but yeah I think that’s for making washes out of paint or ink.
Lamian medium can be used for brush blending effects, or turning regular paint translucent for filters and other effects.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i like my paints to be pretty transparent through the airbrush, so i like to use liquitex airbrush medium, probably like 3-4 parts of medium to 1 part paint (assuming it’s a model colour or citadel base paint) and then a drop or two of flow improver

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

blue collar orc posted:

I have at my hobby desk:

This video answers your question more thoroughly than I ever could: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuSFCiLvs1w

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

typing “*thing i want to know about* vince venturella” into the youtube search has an absurdly high hit rate for solving any mini problems

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

jesus WEP posted:

typing “*thing i want to know about* vince venturella” into the youtube search has an absurdly high hit rate for solving any mini problems

Yep, Hobby Cheating is an indispensable resource. I wish I had 100 hours to just sit down and binge watch every one of his videos all the way through.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Toebone posted:

That looks great!

The other guy.gives me Shovel Knight vibes.

I wanted a big beefy dude to practice NMM on and he stuck out on the shelf. For the LGS contest you have to pick a reaper model for it, which kinda makes sense because it's a relaxed little event and if you had to pick a GW model no one would enter just because the cost of entry. Not a big fan of the reaper models though; the sculpts are kinda mushy and the plastic is really hard to worth with when removing mold lines.

blue collar orc
Feb 13, 2012

Thanks guys! Your answers are really helpful

I'm going to check out that hobby cheating video :)

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

jesus WEP posted:

yep, this.

Are flow medium and airbrush flow improver the same thing?

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
A slug wizard for slug wizard spring

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

is there a good folding wargaming table? I don't have much room for an actual table all of the time

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

GreenBuckanneer posted:

is there a good folding wargaming table? I don't have much room for an actual table all of the time

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/f/table-tennis-tables

Bonus is that you can use them to play ping pong if you're really interested.

But most people use two of these

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lifetime-4-ft-One-Hand-Adjustable-Height-Fold-in-Half-Table-Almond-80726/305551875

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Skails posted:

A slug wizard for slug wizard spring

Where does one get such a marvelous miniature?

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
Has anyone come across an easy way to pull off an oil slick effect? Like this:

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Your best bet would probably be a transparent iridescent pigment, color shift paint, or interference paint of some sort over a very smooth gloss black surface. Very thin layers of pearlizing medium through an airbrush is how I've seen it done in the past.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Just dip your models in power steering fluid, coward

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Lasting Damage posted:

Has anyone come across an easy way to pull off an oil slick effect? Like this:

Just blend it, duh

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
96% done with Kurkalla the Tide Tyrant.

Still need to hit the ocean and some other key bits with a heavy gloss, and do the water effects.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jun 21, 2021

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
That Tide Tyrant is amazing :)

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Do you use superglue or hot glue to attach subassemblies to sticks / bases to make it easier to paint?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
A little bit of super glue. Enough to be stable but easy enough to wiggle out if needed

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

PoptartsNinja posted:

96% done with Kurkalla the Tide Tyrant.

Still need to hit the ocean and some other key bits with a heavy gloss, and do the water effects.

God drat. Looks great; I especially love the eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

A little bit of super glue. Enough to be stable but easy enough to wiggle out if needed

Awesome, thanks.