Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I've been keeping an eye out for GI Joes at Targets for you all and all I've seen are Cobra Commanders, which seem fairly plentiful. I'll keep looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

EMS often isn't cheaper anymore. Japan bumped prices to NA regions.

It will depend on order size. Postal services like EMS tend to be more sensitive to weight, while DHL is more about box dimensions.

My friend just received 4 large Sofubi (around 9" tall each and pretty wide) along with 3 smaller ones in a big box from Japan via EMS and it cost $45. DHL would have been more for sure.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Hasbro just raised the price of Black Series figures again, or at least for exclusives. The Walmart-exclusive Bad Batch Rex was $29.99 (!) for a fairly standard figure that just featured a couple of soft goods over the existing Rex release. The Pulse-exclusive Greedo re-release on a POTF2 card was $26.99.

The Greedo I can almost understand for the special packaging, but why is Rex $8 over standard for a couple of soft goods? They had a whole wave of prequel jedi with big soft goods robes and none of them were more than the usual $19.99/$21.99.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Kir Kanos has a deluxe box, maybe they're charging for extra packaging?

I mentioned the other day that on Saturday I stumbled on an insane deal for a piece for the MOTU collection that I didn't think I was going to be able to get, at least not at a reasonable price. Initially I didn't even care about the Meteorbs but after a couple trades I ended up with 7 of the 10. Two of the remaining were fairly cheap but the final one, Comet Cat was hitting $150+ at the time I was looking. I never owned it as a kid and it was far beyond what I was willing to pay for something that didn't tug the nostalgia strings.
My searches made me aware of the sheer number of knockoffs that existed. Meteorbs were a Bandai product produced in the Asian market for decades (still going today) and the original molds were duplicated many times. Pretty much every original Orb was KO'd multiple times. I found this yellow Comet Cat KO on Ebay for cheap and I was content to put this on my shelf and I figured I'd eventually airbrush it red and call it close enough.
But on Saturday we visited Kokomo Toys and while I was looking for MOTU Classics, I spied some Meteorbs on the top shelf. I had a guy open the case and while neither of the other two were there, they had TWO authentic Comet Cats. With a little haggling and using some store credit I walked away with this hard to find piece without spending a dime. (Actual cost was $75 cash before trade in value). And while it doesn't tug those strings, it's extremely satisfying to look in the case and see a full lineup of heroic Meteorbs.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Hasbro just raised the price of Black Series figures again, or at least for exclusives. The Walmart-exclusive Bad Batch Rex was $29.99 (!) for a fairly standard figure that just featured a couple of soft goods over the existing Rex release. The Pulse-exclusive Greedo re-release on a POTF2 card was $26.99.

The Greedo I can almost understand for the special packaging, but why is Rex $8 over standard for a couple of soft goods? They had a whole wave of prequel jedi with big soft goods robes and none of them were more than the usual $19.99/$21.99.

Price on everything is going up sadly, especially things coming from China. Super7 had to bump their price point from 44 to 54

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I got my Tifa out yesterday. She looks great but I'm disappointed that the stand she comes with is a dark grey plastic. It doesn't visually disappear as well as the clear ones my Figurarts Sailor Guardians have come with.

A fancy Master Chief figure also arrived yesterday. He has a lot of articulation but none of the extra hands really fit on tightly. I originally wanted him to be holding his rifle but they kept falling off at the slightest touch.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The newest Remix series figure from ACRO has been announced and it's the Nisei Ultraman (Alien Zarab)- based on design by Nirasawa (RIP) and sculpted by his good friend Takauku Takeya. Coming out in October! I've loved a lot of the Remix series figures but this is the first one I'm going for. Stoked!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My Shogun Skeletor just arrived. Pics and poo poo later since I'm supposed to be asleep.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Rhyno posted:

My Shogun Skeletor just arrived. Pics and poo poo later since I'm supposed to be asleep.

curious as to whether it stacked to the promo shots, cause it looked rad af

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I was able to snag both of the Commander Rex figures for preorder, along with farmboy Luke and Greedo today. So now my Black Series checklist is done outside of other upcoming preorder figures. Yay! I've had a really fun time collecting this line this past year. It's become my main collecting focus.

Yeah the seemingly arbitrary price increases suck, but compared to import figures, they’re still really reasonable, so it hasn’t bothered me yet.

Maybe someday I’ll print some kind of backdrops for each cube. Death Star bridge, cantina, Endor forest?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Nanigans posted:

I was able to snag both of the Commander Rex figures for preorder, along with farmboy Luke and Greedo today.
How were you able to do so?

At 1pm, I selected both Rex and Crosshair, pressed payment, clicked to confirm and Rex was automatically removed from the cart for being "unavailable". I checked the time; it was still 1pm. It was like 4 seconds to complete sellout.

I've had the exact experience with the Target Clone Wars figures three times over the past month. Not even the full set of four; just Anakin and Obi- Wan.

Wal-mart and Target's handling of exclusives is infuriating. It feels like a rigged game and I'm considering dropping the line.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I didn’t want Crosshair. Rex showed out of stock a few times after refreshing, but eventually I was able to add him and check out normally.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I just ordered the Play Arts Kai Remake Cloud and Barret while they were on sale on amiami. I thought about it a lot, but in they end they look cool and the sale price was pretty good. I hope this doesn't turn into me wanting to collect the whole set.....

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I just ordered the Play Arts Kai Remake Cloud and Barret while they were on sale on amiami. I thought about it a lot, but in they end they look cool and the sale price was pretty good. I hope this doesn't turn into me wanting to collect the whole set.....

[narrator voice] He collected the whole set [/narrator voice]

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I went to a toy show today

It was small but pretty neat. Lots of Marvel and GI Joes and McFarlane stuff. Lots of overlap between the stalls, unfortunately. One guy had one of those Mythic Figures troll figures, I was surprised at how big those things are. And at how big the price was!

Unfortunately for my goals it was a bust. I was looking primarily to pick up some of the Warhammer figures I missed, and I figured there'd be a stall or two selling gashapon, which I'd've picked up some. I wasn't expecting Ultraman stuff, but I was hoping for it. Despite most of the stalls having recent Mcfarlane stuff, only one had any Warhammer figures, and just Sisters of Battle and Hellblasters. There were no gashapon anywhere. And the only Ultraman merchandise in the whole show was this horrid little ceramic figure that looked like poo poo and had a chipped ear.

There was one stall that had sofubi, but they were very clearly like American art sofubi, it was a guy with a rat head and the flesh was melting off so you could see his rat skull. I asked the guy he had anymore Japanese soft vinyl stuff and that started a kind of weird conversation where he seemed genuinely a little annoyed that I had never heard of any of the American sofubi designers he named, and insisted that all of his stuff was Japanese soft vinyl, because it was designed by *insert white guy name here* in America but manufactured in a factory in Japan. It was all manufactured in Japan so it was all Japanese soft vinyl. I'm not sure if that guy was weird or if I had stepped into some controversy in the sofubi collecting community.

Even though I struck out, it was still fun to be out at a place with people again. I actually felt a little weird being one of the few people wearing a mask.

And I didn't want to leave emptyhanded, so I did buy the horrid little thing

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, that looks like such a cool show. We have lovely little shows here every other month but it's the same guys selling the same crap every time. The Kane show really ruined me.

I'll be in Philly for a wedding in September so I'm already planning my drive back based on toy shops.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rhyno posted:

The Kane show really ruined me.

It’s not as good as it used to be, but it’s still a good show. At it’s height, it was filling every single building inside and outside there (before the new main building was built).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

It’s not as good as it used to be, but it’s still a good show. At it’s height, it was filling every single building inside and outside there (before the new main building was built).

I've heard it used to be bonkers (and watched a few videos) but I was still really impressed. Better than any of the shows across the flyover states that I've been to.

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony

Nanigans posted:

I've had a really fun time collecting this line this past year. It's become my main collecting focus.

These look really great, I have most of the original releases of many of those black series figures but yours look so much better with the new photoreal faces.

Gripweed posted:

I went to a toy show today
And I didn't want to leave emptyhanded, so I did buy the horrid little thing

I think it's cute, but I've actually got a bootleg Ultraman plushie I won at a carnival that makes me happier to see then it probably should. I know what you mean about not leaving empthyhanded, I used to do this at record shows in the u.s., spend 2 hours there and not see anything I like, end up buying some colored vinyl 7 inch that I already had the 12 inch version of just so I felt like I didn't waste my trip.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The newest Remix series figure from ACRO has been announced and it's the Nisei Ultraman (Alien Zarab)- based on design by Nirasawa (RIP) and sculpted by his good friend Takauku Takeya. Coming out in October! I've loved a lot of the Remix series figures but this is the first one I'm going for. Stoked!

I find this kind of terrifying. I really admire the design, and Jack's suit is my favourite design after the original, but this would honestly scare me I think if I caught it out of the corner of my eye in my house.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Hasbro just raised the price of Black Series figures again, or at least for exclusives.

I feel stupid for not realizing this when I noticed all the black series in "non-standard packaging" had gone up $10 at retail here. I didn't put 2 and 2 together that they were all exclusives, as I can't keep track of what's exclusive and where in the states as they aren't exclusive in this part of the world. So can't say for sure what it will be like there, but every wave of black series this year except the Bo Katan one was $10 more, which would be about 6-7 u.s.d. They raised TVC to $26.99 a figure too, not sure if something similar happening in the west.

I had forgotten Echo is in that new Black series wave, and really need him. Of course he's the only one of the lot being scalped as he has the words" arc trooper" on the package.

Shiroc posted:

I'll probably try EMS in the future. Based on this experience, trying to get my weeb toys from amiami is going to be a lot better than getting them in the US.

I love all these new sailor moon versions but these two really came out the best of the lot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
SHOGUUUUUUUUUUUUN

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony

Rhyno posted:

SHOGUUUUUUUUUUUUN

holy gently caress i don't even know what to say about how awesome that is.
Is it rotocast like the old Jumbos or totally solid inside? It looks like the arm is spring loaded too for the rocket punch?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's not super heavy so I dunno if it's solid throughout. The hand launches! And the staff shoots missiles!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Sooper Gila posted:

holy gently caress i don't even know what to say about how awesome that is.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Gripweed posted:

There was one stall that had sofubi, but they were very clearly like American art sofubi, it was a guy with a rat head and the flesh was melting off so you could see his rat skull. I asked the guy he had anymore Japanese soft vinyl stuff and that started a kind of weird conversation where he seemed genuinely a little annoyed that I had never heard of any of the American sofubi designers he named, and insisted that all of his stuff was Japanese soft vinyl, because it was designed by *insert white guy name here* in America but manufactured in a factory in Japan. It was all manufactured in Japan so it was all Japanese soft vinyl. I'm not sure if that guy was weird or if I had stepped into some controversy in the sofubi collecting community.

That's exactly it- the sofubi collector community has opinions on what is "sofubi" and was is just a soft vinyl toy. Most say that if it's a toy made in Japan, then it is sofubi, and if it's made elsewhere (China, Taiwan, Mexico, Thailand, and now America to a small extent) then it is not sofubi, even though it's the exact same slush casting method used. This attitude is honestly really tiring. I personally use the term sofubi as an all encompassing term for them but mostly if it fits into a kind of specific aesthetic in my eyes. More round, less frightening versions of kaiju that are made for children. These types were first made by Marusan Toy in the 1960s. Saburo Ishizuki was a planner there and he hired a folk artist who was known for making friendly looking animal sculptures to sculpt the first kaiju from Ultra Q to make the sofubi with because he wanted them to not frighten kids. This style has been incredibly prominent throughout the decades and is my favorite. Ishizuki later went on to make the company Bullmark which continued with making soft vinyl kaiju and heros until the late 1970s. He revived Bullmark earlier this century and is still at it in his 80s. I had the great privilege of meeting him a couple years back. It was like meeting a childhood hero in ways for me.

I make a soft vinyl toy as well- and even though I'm an American and designed it, the sculpt and manufacture was/is all done in Japan. I have them send me blank figures and I paint them. I chose Japan over China or other places to do it mostly because of the quality control- Japanese vinyl has a very specific feel to it (being manufactured by a specific company) that I find superior to Chinese vinyl. This isn't to say non-Japanese sofubi are inferior, far from it. There are incredible makers out there who are doing great and inventive sculpts that I really love (and buy). It's just for me, who literally grew up collecting sofubi, the "Made In Japan" stamp on the bottom of my Witch Cat Lulu figure is kind of a big deal for me.

Another thing is that I wouldn't consider that Nisei Ultraman I posted above to be "sofubi" even though it 100% is just that. Mostly it's because of it's aesthetics as well as the fact that it's more of a statue because it doesn't have articulation. Lot of collectors even in Japan call these Soft Vinyl Figures instead of sofubi as well, just to differentiate. Billiken sells kits of classic kaiju as well that are unfinished and unpainted- you have to trim all the flashing off, put it together, paint it, etc. So like a garage kit but a lot more durable than resin.

Sooper Gila posted:

I find this kind of terrifying. I really admire the design, and Jack's suit is my favourite design after the original, but this would honestly scare me I think if I caught it out of the corner of my eye in my house.

Yeah it's horrible, and even though it's not my usual thing, I really love it. It's definitely my second favorite Nisei Ultraman I've seen, after this amazing garage kit (I will some day have one :argh: )

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Also holy poo poo that Skeletor is goddamned amazing!

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

As somebody who has never cared about He-man outside of that amazing clip with the thread title; that Skeletor loving rules

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Skeletor owns, sofubi owns, thread owns

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Also holy poo poo that Skeletor is goddamned amazing!

It's the best toy I've ever owned.

Do you sell your sofubi?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Rhyno posted:

It's the best toy I've ever owned.

Do you sell your sofubi?

Yep! http://catmagictoys.com

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Very cool! I know some vinyl collectors who may be very interested!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Man I love that octopus

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
OMG OMG OMG OMG Just got the invoice for my robot cowboy v2 figure! He should be here in a couple weeks! Been waiting in this dude since Feb sometime.

He doesn't have a hat which sucks, but I'll either make one or buy one to fit him.

I'm so excited :dance:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
new McFarlane My Hero Academia figure

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Yeah. And it’s $18 goddamn dollars. Funny joke toy should be at funny joke price.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Always kinda worried me a bit that her character is basically a butt naked teenager running around wearing gloves and shoes. Just seems kinda weird.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

Gripweed posted:

new McFarlane My Hero Academia figure

Feels like this should have been a BAF

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Masterverse Skelegod and Battle Cat are popping in and out of stock on Target.com if you're into that sort of thing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Looked through a random box at my parents labeled Action Figures and found these gems

There were more, looking over web entries for the line I had the full set though I've lost the grell, hydra, and chimera.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 21, 2021

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Really digging this guy, it's a look I'm strongly tempted to adopt when I eventually have to return to the office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Sentinel Red posted:

Really digging this guy, it's a look I'm strongly tempted to adopt when I eventually have to return to the office.

Leopard print has been a strong staple of my wardrobe for years now, good call.