Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Does Boba actually show up at some point in Clone Wars and/or Rebels? Like I said, I’m still slowly watching both for the first time as of late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

Does Boba actually show up at some point in Clone Wars and/or Rebels? Like I said, I’m still slowly watching both for the first time as of late.
Yup, he first appears disguised as a clone cadet in season 2, and a couple more times in tandem with other bounty hunters like Aurra Sing and Dengar.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I expect we'll see the Fett in the series, if not this season sometime close to the end since it'd be something extremely hype to advertise.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Xelkelvos posted:

I expect we'll see the Fett in the series, if not this season sometime close to the end since it'd be something extremely hype to advertise.

Considering he gets a live action show this December, it’s likely he appears this season I would think.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

How long is the current season of Bad Batch supposed to be again?

Also has there been any word yet about it getting picked up for another season or two afterwards (I don’t see why it wouldn’t honestly as so far the show seems to be fairly well received in most circles)?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Larryb posted:

How long is the current season of Bad Batch supposed to be again?

16 episodes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah, so we’re about halfway through now.

So yeah, unless they can wrap this story up neatly within the next 8 episodes I wouldn’t be surprised if we got at least one more season after this.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I wasn't expecting the stranger's wrath crossover

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Teek posted:

I hope so, it’s ripe for some good story telling. On one hand, it would be weird to have never really been mentioned until now, but I could see how the Empire would want to squash word of it. It being used to finally give justification to The Clone WarS plural would be fitting I guess.

It would also explain why the Kaminoans are still keeping so many adult clones on their planet. If the Empire decides that the Kaminoans are surplus to requirements, they have their own well trained, battle hardened army right at hand.

Of course, I'm assuming there's a way to turn Order 66's "kill all jedi and obey the empire" into Order 67 "protect the Kaminoans and gently caress the Empire".

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It would also explain why the Kaminoans are still keeping so many adult clones on their planet. If the Empire decides that the Kaminoans are surplus to requirements, they have their own well trained, battle hardened army right at hand.

Of course, I'm assuming there's a way to turn Order 66's "kill all jedi and obey the empire" into Order 67 "protect the Kaminoans and gently caress the Empire".

According to the Revenge of the Sith novelization there's like 150 contingency orders programmed on the chip, including Order 65 where the clones depose the Supreme Chancellor. It's not a big stretch to think that Order 150 is "defend Kamino at all costs."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That's so very Star Wars.

Order 65 kill Palpatine. Order 66 kill jedi.

Hope no one forgot which was which. Or heard wrong.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

jng2058 posted:

According to the Revenge of the Sith novelization there's like 150 contingency orders programmed on the chip, including Order 65 where the clones depose the Supreme Chancellor. It's not a big stretch to think that Order 150 is "defend Kamino at all costs."

Do they cover if chips control the Clones minds with all orders? Seeing Wrecker go full-on YAY THE EMPIRE! is a pretty big change in personality, is it only order 66 that does that?

Order 65: Kill Palpatine (and become a low-level functionary)
Order 66: Kill the Jedi (And become a kill-crazy fascist)
Order 67: Kill everyone except Palpatine and the Jedi (and form a band that travels around and solves mysteries)?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

BooDooBoo posted:

Do they cover if chips control the Clones minds with all orders? Seeing Wrecker go full-on YAY THE EMPIRE! is a pretty big change in personality, is it only order 66 that does that?

Order 67: Kill everyone except Palpatine and the Jedi (and form a band that travels around and solves mysteries)?

It’s implied in one of the comics that there’s an order for Vader specifically. Legends had it as a secret order (Order 151). Could’ve sworn it made it back into canon, but I guess it hasn’t (yet).

quote:

Following an Imperial victory, Vader debriefed Clone Commander Vill on a cliff, overlooking the battlefield. Vader asks Vill if The Emperor had a contingency plan to kill him if he needed to. Vill refused to confirm or deny such an order’s existence, answering Vader’s question and prompting the Sith Lord to kill the mind-controlled clone by throwing him off the cliff using the dark side.

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-palpatine-vader-kill-order-151-explained/

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

BooDooBoo posted:

Order 69:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Be nice!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Larryb posted:

Ah, so we’re about halfway through now.

So yeah, unless they can wrap this story up neatly within the next 8 episodes I wouldn’t be surprised if we got at least one more season after this.

I think they almost certainly can wrap this up. 8 episodes is enough to rescue omega, find out what the secret behind her is, and set her on her way; with a finale where the batch is reunited with crosshair, and either they all die having secured omega's safety or go off into quiet retirement.

I've noted that the show has been very careful to point out that the batch are motivated by looking after Omega rather than fighting the Empire or trying to restore the Republic - their arc does not take them into a greater story of being part of the rebellion.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Alchenar posted:

I think they almost certainly can wrap this up. 8 episodes is enough to rescue omega, find out what the secret behind her is, and set her on her way; with a finale where the batch is reunited with crosshair, and either they all die having secured omega's safety or go off into quiet retirement.

I've noted that the show has been very careful to point out that the batch are motivated by looking after Omega rather than fighting the Empire or trying to restore the Republic - their arc does not take them into a greater story of being part of the rebellion.

True. I wouldn’t mind another season to be fair but this works fine as a oneshot as well (since, as has been mentioned before, we don’t really see or hear about the Bad Batch much if at all from Rebels onward)

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Kill the Batman.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

BooDooBoo posted:

They don't really say, and I think the "it also radically alters your personality" aspect is new to the end of TCW and Bad Batch. That said, I suspect that once the chip is activated, regardless of which order it is, puts the clones in question into "good soldiers obey orders" mode until it's rescinded.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

I'm curious about the clone that Bane killed and just had a number instead of a name. Did he just not have a name yet or does Order 66 rewrite personalities enough that the clones choose to stop using their names and go back to numbers?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

jassa posted:

They also referred to Omega as their contingency plan - further cementing my theory she carries proof of Palpatine's involvement & the Order 66 programming.

It doesn't bode well for Omega's wellbeing, though, given that we know they don't bring down Palpatine.

swickles posted:

Kill the Batman.

I was trying to find a way to make a Batman joke work. And you did it. Well done.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Hey I was wondering, is it ever made clear why Vader stopped using Inquisitors (in the Disney canon) ? I don't think we see any after Rebels S2 but I don't remember it being addressed outright in the Filoni shows.

thrawn527 posted:

It doesn't bode well for Omega's wellbeing, though, given that we know they don't bring down Palpatine.

Eh, there are plenty of ways for Omega to survive whatever the Kaminoans have planned for her. I doubt they're going to kill off the kid character.

If we're speculating about end of series deaths, I could see it going two ways - either Hunter & Omega survive (with the rest of the BB sacrificing themselves for them) or Hunter sacrifices himself for the others and charges them with keeping Omega safe in the distant outskirts of the galaxy.

I don't see Omega ending up alone at the end of the series though. Not unless this ends up with multiple seasons like Rebels, and she ages up a fair bit.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

jassa posted:

Hey I was wondering, is it ever made clear why Vader stopped using Inquisitors (in the Disney canon) ? I don't think we see any after Rebels S2 but I don't remember it being addressed outright in the Filoni shows.

Eh, there are plenty of ways for Omega to survive whatever the Kaminoans have planned for her. I doubt they're going to kill off the kid character.

If we're speculating about end of series deaths, I could see it going two ways - either Hunter & Omega survive (with the rest of the BB sacrificing themselves for them) or Hunter sacrifices himself for the others and charges them with keeping Omega safe in the distant outskirts of the galaxy.

I don't see Omega ending up alone at the end of the series though. Not unless this ends up with multiple seasons like Rebels, and she ages up a fair bit.

In Rebels, the Inquisitors kept getting beaten by either Ezra and Kanaan, or outright embarassed by Ahsoka. Plus, after that Thrawn came along and it was less about Jedi hunting and more about crushing the overall rebellion, so Inquisitors were still probably in use against smaller, solo threats.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Radio! posted:

I'm curious about the clone that Bane killed and just had a number instead of a name. Did he just not have a name yet or does Order 66 rewrite personalities enough that the clones choose to stop using their names and go back to numbers?
I presume it's because Crosshairs doesn't give a poo poo about the "regs" and he is commanding a unit of non-Clones too, and we know they have ES numbers now and get TK numbers eventually.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Supposedly after Rebels the Empire thinks that the Jedi are all gone and the (few remaining) Inquisitors aren't seen any more.

But it feels like the kind of thing that could be easily changed.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Supposedly after Rebels the Empire thinks that the Jedi are all gone and the (few remaining) Inquisitors aren't seen any more.

But it feels like the kind of thing that could be easily changed.

Tarkin basically says this to Vader point blank in ANH so at least some of them believe it, yeah.

Come to think of it, was anyone else in the Empire’s employ besides Vader and maybe his personal guard even aware that Palpatine was a Sith himself?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 21, 2021

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Two Inquisitors (3 and 4) are complete mysteries and at least one other doesn't have a clear canon fate. Easy to imagine them all dead by ANH though.

Larryb posted:

Come to think of it, was anyone else in the Empire’s employ besides Vader and maybe his personal guard even aware that Palpatine was a Sith himself?
Based on a bunch of stuff in TCW and RotS I'm pretty sure Mas Amedda knew.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Larryb posted:

Tarkin basically says this to Vader point blank in ANH so at least some of them believe it, yeah.

I am pretty sure there is a saturday Q&A video on Star Wars Explained where they're asked exactly that and if I remember correctly, only a very few select people knew Palpatine was Sith, or even had Force powers. Vader of course, Royal Guard, that big blue guy that acted as a majordomo. Tarkin either knew or suspected but knew not to ask any further. I like that in Rebels we see that the Galaxy at large is kept ignorant that Palpatine looks any different than before Revenge of the Sith, that broadcasts of him show just a normal old man, not the twisted monster he was.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Which is kinda weird, given that he literally makes a speech while all melty faced in the Senate for public consumption

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Larryb posted:

That has since been contextually explained that Tarkin is one of the few people who actually knows who Vader was and they are actually friends in that way colleagues sometimes are.

Sash! posted:

Which is kinda weird, given that he literally makes a speech while all melty faced in the Senate for public consumption
He got better.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm interpreting contingency plan as 'our insurance so that Palpatine doesn't have us murdered like he has everyone else in this galaxy wide conspiracy to have a war'.

That doesn't necessarily imply that things end really badly for them, but it seems like the most likely outcome.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

That has since been contextually explained that Tarkin is one of the few people who actually knows who Vader was and they are actually friends in that way colleagues sometimes are.

He got better.

I’m not fully caught up with TCW and have a minimal knowledge of the EU at best but out of curiosity, did Vader and Tarkin ever meet back when the former was still just Anakin Skywalker (I’d assume so since I think the latter was a governor or something back in the day)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 21, 2021

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Larryb posted:

I’m not fully caught up with TCW and have a minimal knowledge of the EU at best but out of curiosity, did Vader and Tarkin ever meet back when the former was still just Anakin Skywalker (I’d assume so since I think the latter was a governor or something back in the day)?

Yes, at least twice. S3 and S5 of The Clone Wars.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/1406899960440770560?s=20

This is a pretty decent interview with the showrunner of The Acolyte, covers a lot of bases.

quote:

To me, Star Wars has always been a little bit of a Rorschach test of a piece of art. A lot of times it is what you decide it is. I think The Matrix is a really good example of that as well. You have fans that really run the gamut, in terms of their political and social identities, and yet it’s still a piece of art that really speaks to people on a very base level.

quote:

What I also learned about hiring my [writers] room is that everyone’s fandom was very different. No one had the same experience with Star Wars. There were people like myself that were like later-in-life [Dave] Filoni acolytes. I literally had one writer that was like, “I have never seen any of them. I’ve never seen any Star Wars media.” And she’s texting me before we started the room, she’s like, “Luke and Leia are brother and sister, what the…?” [Laughs.]”

quote:

To me, that kind of stuff is so fun, because I also played some Star Wars RPGs. And that’s my favorite version of Star Wars, the Star Wars where you get to make up your own Star Wars. So when people are like, what’s your favorite film? And what’s your favorite piece of media? I’m like, “I just really love the RPGs.” To me, that’s what Star Wars is, is being able to walk into a universe and start playing. If you can’t do that with the movie, television show, novel comic book, video game, then I’m not sure you’ve done what you need to do as a creator of Star Wars material.

quote:

I mean, it’s funny, because a lot of the feedback that I’ll get—and I use the term feedback very lightly—but when I do go on social media, the feedback is “Don’t make Star Wars political.” I’m like, “George Lucas made it political. Those are political films.” War is, by nature, political. That’s just what’s up.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sash! posted:

They probably changed it over the next 18 years. The difference between real Trump and Ben Garrison Trump.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

It'd be neat if Bad Batch showed the Empire's propaganda machine really starting to spin up.

It has to be amazing to be able to convince the galaxy the Jedi didn't exist when millions of people at least probably saw them or interacted with them.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cross-Section posted:

This is a pretty decent interview with the showrunner of The Acolyte, covers a lot of bases.
I'm getting good vibes from it, but RIP their mentions.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Iirc, his damaged appearance was explained in TCW as a part of him being attacked by the Jedi which was also used as the reason for eliminating them.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Wasn't that also literally in Revenge of the Sith where we said the Jedi attempt at assassination left him scarred ans deformed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

Wasn't that also literally in Revenge of the Sith where we said the Jedi attempt at assassination left him scarred ans deformed?

Yup, they use the same speech during the first episode of Bad Batch (it was apparently broadcast across the galaxy)