Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Khorne posted:

their trackpads work the same as anyone else's since at least 2015 mostly because lots of companies use the same vendor.

they do not, and i'm not talking about the tracking, i'm talking about making the entire thing some floating-rear end button that makes it awkward as gently caress to actually click on anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
before the intel ultrabook, most pc laptops still came with socketed cpus.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

mystes posted:

Acer and Asus laptops are fine.

Now I'll just unsubscribe from this thread for a couple days while everyone yells at me.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Wild EEPROM posted:

before the intel ultrabook, most pc laptops still came with socketed cpus.

not that it was that useful since you were usually bios limited to the four chips it shipped with even if you could successfully swap them around

anyway i don’t get the apple trackpad hate; how does it interfere with typing exactly

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
they're too loving big

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
the thinkpad keyboard ain't what she used to be

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
actually one thing that really bugs me about the thinkpad work gave me is that the touchpad doesn't include buttons on the bottom of the trackpad anymore... clicking the trackpad feels crunchy and weird.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Khorne posted:

but did they drop the oversized trackpad that messes with typing constantly

and did they stop making the top of the keys completely flat & so close together that there's effectively no gap

This is the first time I have ever heard of anybody complaining about the size of the Apple trackpads. :psyduck:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

DoomTrainPhD posted:

This is the first time I have ever heard of anybody complaining about the size of the Apple trackpads. :psyduck:
it's been a complaint for a while

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Chris Knight posted:

it's been a complaint for a while

They are incredibly good and the size is great. The palm rejection is also top-tier.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Buck Turgidson posted:

actually one thing that really bugs me about the thinkpad work gave me is that the touchpad doesn't include buttons on the bottom of the trackpad anymore... clicking the trackpad feels crunchy and weird.

yeah, it's real bad. there's entirely too much travel to actually click and the pad floats weirdly on the buttons. literally everything about it makes it viscerally unpleasant to use

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

one of those where i have always used the tap-to-click without engaging the mechanism, but probably how often i have used thinkpads historically has partially caused that.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

don’t use trackpads you loving scrubs

Khorne
May 1, 2002

DoomTrainPhD posted:

They are incredibly good and the size is great. The palm rejection is also top-tier.
they don't reject my palms, wrists, or the side of my thumbs very well. it's probably because I don't rest on it and it just gets tapped by a tiny portion while typing. at one point I would tab to a terminal, disable trackpad, type, tab to terminal enable trackpad because of just how much it screwed me up. then apple made it so that command didn't work anymore

I don't get why it's so big. The middle 1/3 of it is all you need for actual trackpad usage and it's only the very outer edge that gets tapped by parts of my hand.

infernal machines posted:

yeah, it's real bad. there's entirely too much travel to actually click and the pad floats weirdly on the buttons. literally everything about it makes it viscerally unpleasant to use
I recommend not physically pressing it down and instead just tapping with no feedback at all.

I agree that the "look you can physically press it, haptic feedback!!" thing is dumb on all devices but especially lenovo trackpads

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the issue is that just tracking on the pad feels like poo poo because it tilts and wobbles slightly, because it's floating on the buttons and as mentioned, the tolerances are poo poo. they are not well made, mechanically

Khorne
May 1, 2002

the issue is that just tracking on the pad feels like poo poo because it tilts and wobbles slightly, because it's floating on the buttons and as mentioned, the tolerances are poo poo. they are not well made, mechanically
you're making me afraid to buy a new thinkpad here

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

did lenovo figure out how to make a trackpad that even remotely works?

i mean even by the standards of windows laptops they have objectively the worst trackpads i've used in 25 years of computer touching. the solution may be "use the nub" but this isn't the 1990s, no one but greybeard grognards is using the nub.

The multi touch track pads and their associated gesture input on the Lenovos I've been using since 2014 work perfectly under Linux, op. The X200s I used from 2009-2014 had only a nub, which worked fine too.

There were issues with palm detection for the first few years, admittedly, but libinput hasn't had a problem with that for quite some time now.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Khorne posted:

i'm sure they're fine as long as you never touch the trackpad

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://twitter.com/bighwanjang1/status/1406183379511386112

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

oho, so windows 11 will run android apps natively, making it almost certain that microsoft will take another swing at phones in the not too distant future. despite the mess of previous attempts i welcome anything that might loosen googles defacto grip on the phone market in much of the world.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

oho, so windows 11 will run android apps natively, making it almost certain that microsoft will take another swing at phones in the not too distant future. despite the mess of previous attempts i welcome anything that might loosen googles defacto grip on the phone market in much of the world.

if it's just an MS-skinned version of android is it really going to make a difference in that regard, though?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mediaphage posted:

if it's just an MS-skinned version of android is it really going to make a difference in that regard, though?

unless they have struck some incredibly unholy deal this almost certainly involves replacing all the google services (i.e. the vast amount of infrastructure not in aosp), google charges actual money for that package of tracking.

also seems somewhat likely to be built on wsl in one way or another, with the android (aosp) stuff virtualized away. but all speculation, at minimum it is bound to be some comedy in finding up what they're up to.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

oho, so windows 11 will run android apps natively, making it almost certain that microsoft will take another swing at phones in the not too distant future.

surface duo already exists and is going through a fire sale.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Drastic Actions posted:

surface duo already exists and is going through a fire sale.

i still want one

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

unless they have struck some incredibly unholy deal this almost certainly involves replacing all the google services (i.e. the vast amount of infrastructure not in aosp), google charges actual money for that package of tracking.

also seems somewhat likely to be built on wsl in one way or another, with the android (aosp) stuff virtualized away. but all speculation, at minimum it is bound to be some comedy in finding up what they're up to.

right but if it has android compatibility the first thing people are going to do is figure out how to run google play on it and then it's just back to google tracking poo poo and making money off it

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol
https://twitter.com/caraesten/status/1408114716610764800

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

someone told me the stuff msft is pulling these days is a lot less anticompetitive b/c you essentially have three big platforms now

idk if that's valid but i guess it's all a cartel now instead of a monopoly :toot:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Cold on a Cob posted:

someone told me the stuff msft is pulling these days is a lot less anticompetitive b/c you essentially have three big platforms now

idk if that's valid but i guess it's all a cartel now instead of a monopoly :toot:

probably accurate for the us, europe will probably still complain

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
doesn't europe pick on all three tho? i mean it's good if they do, keep em in their loving place

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Khorne posted:

i don't know which version of the trackpad i have but the one on my thinkpad absolutely does not "float" or wobble or whatever. it feels totally fixed in place and if you don't choose to press it down you'd never know it moves.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

the one on my w540 was exactly as described, so wobbly and with such huge travel it was a chore to use

wouldn't be surprised if it's still in the p series ones

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/joshraclaw/status/1408069688521674754

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

capital saw that poo poo where at&t got broken up, ibm got sued, Microsoft almost got broken up too and was like never again. and it won’t happen again

I mean the story of googles rise to a multinational behemoth is basically “how to leverage market power in one area to eliminate competition in other markets” and look how much interest the doj has in enforcement action against them

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

did lenovo figure out how to make a trackpad that even remotely works?

Buck Turgidson posted:

Why would you ever use a trackpad on a laptop that already has the greatest mouse device ever created ; the trackpoint?

It's like slapping God in the face.

I guess you enjoy having to move your hands away from the keyboard every time you use your mouse? Or is it that you enjoy having to lift your hand and start back over on the trackpad again to move from one side of the screen to the other?

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 25, 2021

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Seriously I don't know how people use laptops without a separate left and right mouse button. Lenovo goes one step further and bestows us with the godly middle mouse button too, perfect for opening new tabs with

The few times I managed to find a Dell or HP with a trackpoint I immediately 180ed once I saw they only had two mouse buttons above the trackpad

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i have three physical buttons but mostly i just tap with one, two or three fingers.

it is really jarring to see someone who physically clicks with the trackpad every time. crude. uncivilized

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

hey, it worked for blackberry

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i hope they go all in on the cloud and team integration, and then it gets hacked and completely eats poo poo globally

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mediaphage posted:

right but if it has android compatibility the first thing people are going to do is figure out how to run google play on it and then it's just back to google tracking poo poo and making money off it

i don't think *that* is where this'll fall down in any way that matters, the fraction of people who will follow the 7-step instructions to install a random apk from a forum is about the same as those who jailbreak their iphone in 2021 (and largely irrelevant)

more likely literally no one (but me, having already outed myself here) in the world will care and it'll be a junk feature only used by app generation packages to also add their trash to the windows store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Why would you ever use a trackpad on a laptop that already has the greatest mouse device ever created ; the trackpoint?

It's like slapping God in the face.

I guess you enjoy having to move your hands away from the keyboard every time you use your mouse? Or is it that you enjoy having to lift your hand and start back over on the trackpad again to move from one side of the screen to the other?

it's not really choice, the trackpoint requires a bit too much pressure and gets uncomfortable after a while.

the only pointing device i actually like using is a trackball because rolling the ball around makes me feel like a wizard. if i can get away with it i don't use a pointing device at all.