Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Bofast posted:

It was definitely a step down from the only other recent Falcom game I've played, Tokyo Xanadu eX+, especially when it came to combos, special moves and soundtrack.

That's interesting, because IME TX plays worse than Zwei or Gurumin and has completely forgettable music compared to Night Survivor or Footprint in the Wet Sand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This is me thinking about impulse-buying Wildermyth and also thinking about over the dozen games I already own and could be playing instead, including the turn-based tactical RPG that I already impulse-bought last month

This is me. I instantly bought Wildermyth but instead I've spent the afternoon playing Chiv 2. So much fun.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I was originally going to try writing some things despite having not played the game for several years, but I will just agree with both of these points. Especially number two.

Mad Max is a surprisingly great game, but there’s a tremendous amount of repetition, and 100%ing the game strikes me as a generally insane thing to attempt.

I always felt that the Thunderpoon made the game wayyyy to easy. I was casually playing it taking my time and I really liked having to take apart cars/convoys piece by piece with ramming/harpoon.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

BexGu posted:

I always felt that the Thunderpoon made the game wayyyy to easy. I was casually playing it taking my time and I really liked having to take apart cars/convoys piece by piece with ramming/harpoon.

Well, now that sounds like just the thing I'd probably want to avoid. Do enemy cars scale up in toughness when you get that upgrade?

Eh eh and I gotta complain about the camera situation. They made this really robust system to change up the look and the viewpoint and everything, but it's only for taking screen caps! Presumably they tasked somebody with making it "sticky for social media" or whatever, but they never bothered to just activate those options for the drat gameplay, I mean come on. (Unless i'm missing something.) I want the camera to not be glued to the car and I want bigger FOV for not getting head-swimmy. And the aesthetics too. And they don't have the multiple driving views that car driving games have had since the 90s. Just a passable third person and a bad first person.

Mescal fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 21, 2021

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Death Trash

I finally played another of the ones everyone's been talking about. It's Fallout by way of FLESH AND MEAT (literally one of the first NPCs you meet is a FleshKraken). It does the FO thing pretty well, there's no VATS bullshit to worry about here, just standard melee, dodge and ranged options to combat. And of course conversational stats. Looting, lockpicking, wandering around, all that stuff. This probably would've appealed to me more a decade ago but I think this could finally be the FO successor that wins people over.

My Time at Sandrock

I've played this long enough now (2+ hours) that I can give a proper opinion on it, having beaten My Time at Portia previously. The general game loop is pretty similar, you build stuff for people, including main questline stuff where you build large stuff that then impacts the game world. Starting with what has improved over Portia, the general presentation has improved. There's a better sheen to everything, the world design feels a little bit closer to the concept art than Portia's did, everything is nice and vibrant. The interface/UI has improved. You have an infinite sprint which is pretty fast, thank you game. The animations are a little more exaggerated in their spacing which lends well to 60fps.

A big improvement is that shops stay open 24/7. This is accomplished simply by everyone having a cash register out in front of their shop now. So people who wait until the end of the day before selling, you're no longer screwed over. Combat has been "overhauled", although it still feels not amazing. It's a little bit zippier but is still lacking in feedback, so while it feels less tacked on now, it still is not the reason you play the game. Fueling your machines gives you a lot more for your buck this time around-- with a caveat I'll mention below. Data discs are back, but rather than unlocking pointless decorative bric-a-brac, this time around data discs help unlock new blueprints for big projects. That's an upgrade for me personally (bear in mind I could be misremembering and maybe data discs unlocked diagrams in Portia too), as decorative items are sold at shops in the town now and I feel like that makes more sense. Of course you can also buy more recipes for your machines as well.

The game takes place in a desert town, which has some important differences from Portia. For starters, cutting down trees is forbidden, as they're a precious natural resource. Instead, you'll be getting wood by breaking down wood scrap, harvesting from plants and tumbleweed, and other such... it's a little odd to get wood this way, but at the end of the day, you'll be able to get the wood you need. There are different types of scrap, from wood to copper to rubber to mechanical, and the Recycler machine you build will extract resources out of your scrap that you can then use in your project. You have the workshop desk of course, and the usual machines like the furnace and processor.

Ok, so the stuff I'm concerned about still, having had a lot of frustrations with Portia. #1, the characterization once again seems to be lower priority for the team. Even though there are a lot of people in the town (a town that seems bigger than Portia, by the way, so there's more citizens as well), none of them have much more than a very very basic personality, if that. So this has not improved from Portia. #2, the loading times... this is one thing technology has solved, as it's much like a problem on the newest SSD drives, but if you DON'T have those.. well you're gonna be dealing with long load times again just like on Portia. #3, Mining has not improved much from Portia. It's still the same procedurally generated voxel bullshit with the jetpack. Couldn't they have just merged the mining with the dungeons and made a more conventional thing to explore?

#4, there's stuff that the demo just doesn't have that won't be shown until Early Access and so I'm concerned. The world size is.. odd. The town is larger than the world outside of it...will there be other areas you go to? Have they just not built the rest of the world yet? Will the rewards for donating to the museum be better? Will the holidays be better? Please tell me the dungeoning will be better. And there are a couple of shops that keep their registers indoors... I have not tried to go to those late at night but will there be any shops that are time sensitive? I don't know yet.

Oh yeah, and Portia ran loving horribly on Switch last time. They're not gonna try and port Sandrock to it are they? Because they still have to answer for that awful Portia port.

I checked and it looks like they plan on going into Early Access in September.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 21, 2021

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Mescal posted:

Hello I am playing Mad Max and it's pretty fun so far. So there's all these picture settings in photograph mode. Can I use those for gameplay? Please tell me I can. Can I turn off minimap/hud? It seems like there's kind of two different places in the menus for everything, a little confusing. Partially I want to not get seasick, and I only see FOV change in the photograph mode, partially I want to video to look more like Fury Road (why doesn't it look like their film/filters?) I don't SUPER like the follow map markers +GPS style. and my final question: is there anything I should know in general while playing, there's a lot to do so is there anything that I shouldn't ignore while loving around

https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Mad_Max

One thing I’d add to that is: reaching Gastown isn’t the endgame. So don’t be afraid to progress the story, because it lasts longer than you might initially think.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Mierenneuker posted:

One thing I’d add to that is: reaching Gastown isn’t the endgame. So don’t be afraid to progress the story, because it lasts longer than you might initially think.

Huh, that's a cool site. Thanks!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

I had no idea the scrap collection project was an online thing. That’s incredibly dumb.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Mescal posted:

Huh, that's a cool site. Thanks!

It's run by a goon (ahobday) and the tips are mostly from this thread, so you're also welcome to contribute if you have good tips for stuff (or if you spot bad ones).

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
My impressions of demo games I've tried so far. I wanted to try some of the ones which looked less polished/professional, which led to mixed results:

Would recommend
Grapple Hoops: Parkour first person game -- you are a crash test dummy who grapple hooks their way around levels to dunk a basketball. Gameplay feels fluid and fun, super fast resets when you die with an actually very satisfying little snap sound. I'd definitely recommend it, I didn't realize how much I'd enjoy this type of game. Definitely going to be cool to see speedruns of this eventually.

Cooperative Chess: I was not expecting this to be as good as it was. You and your partner are set up as black and white on a chess board, and your goal is to end up finishing a chess game by someone winning. However, you (1) have to make sure that you are occupying a few specific highlighted squares after each set of turns, (2) have to decide on 2-3 moves simultaneously without the other person knowing, and (3) all the rules of competitive chess still apply -- e.g. you can accidentally take each other's pieces, put someone in check, etc. It's actually a really elegant and fun little coordination/strategy game.

Sort of on the fence:
Severed Steel: It's fun - FPS with tons of Max Payne style jumping and wall running and slo mo while you kill enemies. But, it didn't really keep my attention for that long -- this feels more like an indictment of me than the game though.

Would not:
Siege the Day: I would not recommend this unless it changes considerably. You build a castle with some fixed guns which you control one by one in a fairly awkward way to shoot at an enemy castle (hold right mouse and move the mouse to aim side to side, scroll wheel to go up and down, then space bar to make a target stop at the right time to shoot, then wait 30 seconds for the cooldown), along with a couple of units you can vaguely control. Did not grab me.

Countdown Final Zone: OK you probably realized you shouldn't buy this if you looked at the art, icons, basically anything on the store page. It's an incredibly bare bones multiplayer shooter with one semi low poly map. I killed the one other person playing the demo a few times and then uninstalled. It seems like it might have been made by a reasonably talented high schooler. It's honestly not not fun for what it is, but it's not really on the level of a commercial game.

Sky Fleet: I probably can't recommend to most people, but I liked it and wishlisted. It seems like it still has a long way to go, but the basic loop is that you're in a top down controlling a little airship around a bunch of islands. You kill enemies to build more floating buildings to help you extract more resources and kill more enemies. It is super barebones at the moment, and doesn't really feel like a full game, but could be fun if they spend a lot more time in the oven.

Other random ones:

Assimilate -- seems like it could be fun -- basically seems like one of the Jackbox mini games. Without five other people to play it tho, it's hard to say -- wishlisted for now.

Mage Mountain:
Someone with a higher tolerance for clunky UI and art than I should check this out and see if it is any good. The graphics look like basically programmer art, and everything is a bit clunky. Maybe it's the next dreamquest tho idk I couldn't get past the above to get to the deck building combat part of the game.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

kirbysuperstar posted:

That's interesting, because IME TX plays worse than Zwei or Gurumin and has completely forgettable music compared to Night Survivor or Footprint in the Wet Sand.

Like I said, Ys VIII and TX are the only somewhat recent Falcom games I have played so I can't compare gameplay to any others. I think the DS remake of Ys I&II is the only other Falcom anything I've played before and I stopped very quickly after not liking the combat :shrug:
While building combos in TX dungeons was somewhat useful for getting good rank bonuses, it feels largely pointless in Ys VIII, since the latter has most of the combat taking place either in sparsely populated outdoor locations or fixed wave defense missions. I'm not sure it's even possible to build 100+ hit combos in Ys VIII since screen transitions or waiting for the next wave in defense missions will generally kill your momentum completely, while a 200 point combo was quite doable in some TX dungeons.

The platforming is terrible in both games, but at least in TX this is mostly an issue in the last 2-3 dungeons where you have things like appearing/disappearing platforms to climb vertically, rather than throughout much of Ys VIII.

I really like the TX soundtrack, with some chill jazzy days of running around the city doing sidequests and then hopping into rifts to fight enemies to the sound of a decent rock/metal tune. I do think the jazzier bits (Night Falls, Sensitive Game, Looking for Clues) are the better ones, though, so I couldn't tell you what rift has what background music or anything like that. And while I kind of like A Footprint in the Wet Sand, I despise the electronic sound they used to carry much of the melody in Night Survivor, so maybe I would have enjoyed the Ys VIII soundtrack with better instrumentation.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/mxSophieH/status/1405178723343777793

This looks weirdly addictive.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Those tags :discourse:

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Anyone talk about Cruelty Squad in here? What a great game. It's really a pc gamer's game. I feel like I could write a book about it.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Womyn Capote posted:

Anyone talk about Cruelty Squad in here? What a great game. It's really a pc gamer's game. I feel like I could write a book about it.

I looked up videos of this and I can't really understand what kind of game it is. Retro graphics FPS but not arcadey - has objectives and it looks like you can plan stuff? Not sure if it's doing a whole new thing or if it's cribbing from an older game I'm unfamiliar with.

Maybe retro graphics isn't quite the right word but it is definitely a look alright.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
It's a less involved, lower budget Deus Ex with a little bit more of a sandbox structure. And an ultra-hideous art style. Intentionally hideous though so at least it's consistent.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Artelier posted:

I looked up videos of this and I can't really understand what kind of game it is. Retro graphics FPS but not arcadey - has objectives and it looks like you can plan stuff? Not sure if it's doing a whole new thing or if it's cribbing from an older game I'm unfamiliar with.

Maybe retro graphics isn't quite the right word but it is definitely a look alright.

As far as I can tell it's mainly a shooter. But the entire game design seems to be about making you as uncomfortable as possible while playing it, which it admittedly seems to excel at. I don't really know how to categorize it because it's an avant garde game that refuses to play by the rules of the medium. If that sounds cool for you, then cool! But whenever people praise it I can't determine if they are just irony poisoned or want to be in on the joke, or if they genuinely enjoy it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Sulphagnist posted:

But whenever people praise it I can't determine if they are just irony poisoned or want to be in on the joke, or if they genuinely enjoy it.

It really is the latter for most people I'm guessing. It's a little bit "boomer shooter", a little bit Deus Ex with multiple paths to completing missions and a wide variety of loadout options that can totally change up how you play, and genuinely funny and interesting setting and dialogue. Also LOADS of well-hidden secrets and rewarding exploration. And a fishing mini-game. And a stock market minigame, with another separate stock market for fish, and then another one for organs you harvest from enemies.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Sulphagnist posted:

As far as I can tell it's mainly a shooter. But the entire game design seems to be about making you as uncomfortable as possible while playing it, which it admittedly seems to excel at. I don't really know how to categorize it because it's an avant garde game that refuses to play by the rules of the medium. If that sounds cool for you, then cool! But whenever people praise it I can't determine if they are just irony poisoned or want to be in on the joke, or if they genuinely enjoy it.

It's me, I fuckin' love trippy weird avant-garde video games. The itch bundles have been a godsend for showing me WEIRD nonsense games and having one of them on steam is aces.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Thanks for this, it looks right up my alley. I'll report back after I've played for a bit.

edit: played for a bit, still in the tutorial (though near the end), not entirely sure what I'm doing and there's road construction going on outside, so it's probably not the best time to be playing a game that has such an emphasis on tiny changes in sound. So far, it seems neat, definitely check it out if you like Thief Simulator. It's not the same dev or anything, they just both fit in a similar niche: "unlocking things" games. :)

----

Lately, I've been playing Clandestine, a neat-but-kinda-janky little co-op game where one player is the field agent, Katya, and the other is her hacker support, Martin. There's also a solo mode where you can switch between the two at will. Martin can hack computers to read emails and find intel, find door codes, take over cameras so Katya can move through the room undetected, and sometimes hit certain nodes on the network in tandem with Katya bluffing someone (like answering a phone and pretending to be the guy that Katya has a "job interview" with, using her cover identity).

It's a bit rough in some places (animations mostly), but it's a pretty fun time. Katya is a pretty great character - young Russian spy with bright red hair ("I liked the black hair, but it's good to see you back to your natural color." "This is nobody's natural color, but it's better than being blonde."), dressed like a typical 90s slacker (game is set in 1996), and she's pretty entertaining. On one mission, she has to wear a dress and her cover identity is a call girl, accompanying an NPC agent (who you rescued during the first mission).

Katya: "Okay, so security will be light, but I can't just walk in there wearing a kevlar vest with a holster strapped to my thigh."
Sarah (one of your bosses): "Oh, not to worry, we've procured a lovely dress for you to wear." *briefing slides show a fancy red cocktail dress and high heels*
Katya, in Russian: "You have got to be loving kidding me."
Martin: "Oh, come on, Kat, it's not that bad. It'll be just like in the movies!"
Katya: *glares at Martin*

Then, during the mission's opening cutscene: "You may not feel like it, but you look amazing in that dress."
"I have to admit, Sarah does have good taste. But these drat heels are killing me."
"Maybe if you tried not walking like you're wearing combat boots..."
"It's just not fair - if you want to dress fancy as hell, you can still run without breaking your ankles."

The actual mission felt almost like old-school Hitman (Contracts and earlier, not 2016 and later): you infiltrate a party to find and interrogate a spy working for the enemy, but he's good enough that your organization has yet to confirm his appearance, so you have to walk around and listen to people and find the "opportunity" (as the new Hitman games call it). There's only one way to do things (unlike Hitman), but eventually you get the target alone in a bedroom and interrogate him, then have an option to kill him or knock him out (he gets arrested and turned over to Scotland Yard for other crimes he did). Also, attempting to sprint just gives the message "You cannot run in high heels."

The game seems to be keeping cumulative track of the "footprint" I leave during missions (knocking people out is actually a bigger footprint than killing them, because dead people can't talk), and so far, at least one briefing has mentioned that my previous stealthy ways resulted in less guards for the upcoming mission. Between missions, you can wander around HQ and talk to your fellow agents (Martin and Mansoor, the guy you rescued in the first mission) and your handlers.

Of course, one of the first keypad codes is 0451, and if you walk into the men's bathroom, your boss later tells you to stay out of there in the future. Other than that, it doesn't really have a lot of DX in it. It feels more like a low-budget combination of Splinter Cell and old-Hitman, but with the neat feature of being able to play as the hacker, too (or have a friend do it).

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 21, 2021

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Any opinions on Ender Lilies? Souls-like 2d metroidvania (I know I know...) with overwhelmingly positive reviews. Seems to have released today.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

beats for junkies posted:

Thanks for this, it looks right up my alley. I'll report back after I've played for a bit.

edit: played for a bit, still in the tutorial (though near the end), not entirely sure what I'm doing and there's road construction going on outside, so it's probably not the best time to be playing a game that has such an emphasis on tiny changes in sound. So far, it seems neat, definitely check it out if you like Thief Simulator. It's not the same dev or anything, they just both fit in a similar niche: "unlocking things" games. :)

----

Lately, I've been playing Clandestine, a neat-but-kinda-janky little co-op game where one player is the field agent, Katya, and the other is her hacker support, Martin. There's also a solo mode where you can switch between the two at will. Martin can hack computers to read emails and find intel, find door codes, take over cameras so Katya can move through the room undetected, and sometimes hit certain nodes on the network in tandem with Katya bluffing someone (like answering a phone and pretending to be the guy that Katya has a "job interview" with, using her cover identity).

It's a bit rough in some places (animations mostly), but it's a pretty fun time. Katya is a pretty great character - young Russian spy with bright red hair ("I liked the black hair, but it's good to see you back to your natural color." "This is nobody's natural color, but it's better than being blonde."), dressed like a typical 90s slacker (game is set in 1996), and she's pretty entertaining. On one mission, she has to wear a dress and her cover identity is a call girl, accompanying an NPC agent (who you rescued during the first mission).

Katya: "Okay, so security will be light, but I can't just walk in there wearing a kevlar vest with a holster strapped to my thigh."
Sarah (one of your bosses): "Oh, not to worry, we've procured a lovely dress for you to wear." *briefing slides show a fancy red cocktail dress and high heels*
Katya, in Russian: "You have got to be loving kidding me."
Martin: "Oh, come on, Kat, it's not that bad. It'll be just like in the movies!"
Katya: *glares at Martin*

Then, during the mission's opening cutscene: "You may not feel like it, but you look amazing in that dress."
"I have to admit, Sarah does have good taste. But these drat heels are killing me."
"Maybe if you tried not walking like you're wearing combat boots..."
"It's just not fair - if you want to dress fancy as hell, you can still run without breaking your ankles."

The actual mission felt almost like old-school Hitman (Contracts and earlier, not 2016 and later): you infiltrate a party to find and interrogate a spy working for the enemy, but he's good enough that your organization has yet to confirm his appearance, so you have to walk around and listen to people and find the "opportunity" (as the new Hitman games call it). There's only one way to do things (unlike Hitman), but eventually you get the target alone in a bedroom and interrogate him, then have an option to kill him or knock him out (he gets arrested and turned over to Scotland Yard for other crimes he did). Also, attempting to sprint just gives the message "You cannot run in high heels."

The game seems to be keeping cumulative track of the "footprint" I leave during missions (knocking people out is actually a bigger footprint than killing them, because dead people can't talk), and so far, at least one briefing has mentioned that my previous stealthy ways resulted in less guards for the upcoming mission. Between missions, you can wander around HQ and talk to your fellow agents (Martin and Mansoor, the guy you rescued in the first mission) and your handlers.

Of course, one of the first keypad codes is 0451, and if you walk into the men's bathroom, your boss later tells you to stay out of there in the future. Other than that, it doesn't really have a lot of DX in it. It feels more like a low-budget combination of Splinter Cell and old-Hitman, but with the neat feature of being able to play as the hacker, too (or have a friend do it).

Clandestine is great, I played the whole thing through with a buddy and nothing else quite does what it does - I remember a particularly cool section where Katya is trying to infiltrate an office building and has to converse with the receptionist while Martin is hacking their system, finding the answers to the receptionist's questions and modifying appointment calendars and such.

Shame it has a low budget and Katya moves like a Churchill tank, but it's really the only game in town for co-op operative/hacker shenanigans. (though the recently released Operation Tango is cool too, it's really short)

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Artelier posted:

it's like a tactical fps. every mission you're told to kill one or more people and then find the level exit. there's tons of different ways to go about this, the levels are generally enormous and sprawling and full of weird things and secrets and terrifying enemies. the game knows it's a game, knows that you know it's a game, and so messes with your expectations and its rules very freely. movement feels amazing and only gets better with the more hideous and disgusting bio mods you buy and install into yourself. it looks ugly as gently caress until you play it for a bit. then it looks great.

no setpieces, no walk and chats, no compromising fun for the sake of realism with five second animations for picking up an egg. just gameplay. it's hard to explain the exact feeling you get but it's kinda like when you pull off something really sick and unexpected that the game clearly didn't account for. cruelty squad feels like it doesn't account for anything, it just lets you try whatever you want.

definitely one to try to see if you like it, there's nothing like it.

well haha good luck.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

love to pick up egg

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Cruelty Squad is the follow up to EYE Divine Cybermancy I always wanted

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

there's something about that DIVINE LIGHT SEVERED image that really disturbs me

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Broken Cog posted:

Any opinions on Ender Lilies? Souls-like 2d metroidvania (I know I know...) with overwhelmingly positive reviews. Seems to have released today.

I'm actually surprised that it has so many reviews for a game that comes off as "cult classic" or whatever. I imagine some streamer got their hands on it and spread the word, but drat that's a lot of reviews for Jojo's Bizarre Metroidsoulsvania.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Is the "EARLY ACCESS RELEASE DATE" field new? I don't recall seeing that as part of a game's details before. A welcome change if it is standard across the entire store.

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm actually surprised that it has so many reviews for a game that comes off as "cult classic" or whatever. I imagine some streamer got their hands on it and spread the word, but drat that's a lot of reviews for Jojo's Bizarre Metroidsoulsvania.
Everyone who's written about it invokes either Dark Souls or Hollow Knight somewhere in the text. And the most popular YT gameplay I could find is from a Japanese V-tuber with 125K views. Which checks out as the devs are Japanese.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I dislike Metroidsoulsvanias so very very much.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
Sorry for the slightly off topic, but I'm looking for a vendor for a mini gaming pc, hopefully around the size of one of current gen consoles. I'd like to stick one in my living room, and don't have the patience to build those tiny things. Any reputable online builders I should know of? TIA

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's me, I fuckin' love trippy weird avant-garde video games. The itch bundles have been a godsend for showing me WEIRD nonsense games and having one of them on steam is aces.

Have you played Anodyne 2? I had never heard of it before the best games of 2020 thread but it's incredible and absolutely fits the bill for trippy weird avant-garde indie games.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

yegods posted:

Sorry for the slightly off topic, but I'm looking for a vendor for a mini gaming pc, hopefully around the size of one of current gen consoles. I'd like to stick one in my living room, and don't have the patience to build those tiny things. Any reputable online builders I should know of? TIA

What's your budget? What kind of games, resolution, storage are you looking for?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

garfield hentai posted:

Have you played Anodyne 2? I had never heard of it before the best games of 2020 thread but it's incredible and absolutely fits the bill for trippy weird avant-garde indie games.

this,. anodyne 2 owns

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Hwurmp posted:

I'm not enjoying Chicory: A Colorful Tale quite as much as Wandersong or Celeste, but it's still very good.

Yeah I didn't get too far into it but it wasn't grabbing me like I was hoping. I'll need to give it at least one more try.

Sway Grunt posted:

Gonna play Ynglet tonight, though.

edit: Ah no, not going to play Ynglet because it apparently needs a CPU with AVX support and I still only have an i5-750. I didn't expect this modest-looking indie title to be the first literally unplayable game on my computer, oh well. Happy to support Nifflas for now, I'll wait with the actual playing until I can finally buy a new PC I suppose.

That is weird! Hope you get to play it eventually, I love that one. Great concept, great design, BEYOND great music and art, cheap price, and doesn't overstay its welcome, all good

Broken Cog posted:

Personally I didn't like the kind paper-cutout, flash-style graphics and also found the game really hard with very little reward. But I'm an idiot and a baby so I say that about a lot of games

lmao

The 7th Guest posted:

More demos...

Radio Viscera

Its fun finding out about games that you'd never heard of before and just being like.. whoa that's neat. This game is a twin stick shooter where your gun is an air cannon that blasts people away from you. So rather than killing people directly, you blast them into traps. It's a cool concept... the only question will be whether it can sustain that fun and creativity beyond the initial couple of hours of gameplay.

I really liked this one. Super interesting look and graphics, fun gimmicks with shooting through walls and not being able to finish enemies unless you feed them into a grinder trap. Leads to a lot of crazy running and gunning, sometimes staying in a room to try and finish guys off and get some health, sometimes escaping quickly to get to the next room. A lot of promise in this one.

Top list for me is Radio Viscera, Sable, Unsighted, GRIME, with special mentions of Franz Fury and Gearshifters, two vehicular combat games in different styles. Gearshifters is basically a side scrolling game like R-Type except you're looking down at a road instead of sideways at a ship or plane, whle Franz Fury is top down but you have full control over direction and speed and all that. Bit hard to control, but it's been a while since some good vehicle based shooting games came out so I hope they end up good.

Has anyone tried out Ember Knights? Looks kinda cool although not if you can't play it solo

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Rolo posted:

What's your budget? What kind of games, resolution, storage are you looking for?

Budget is open, probably no more than $1000. Modern games, 1080p minimum. Single 1tb sdd is near enough.
edit: main purpose is to play cooperative games with my wife. she has steam library already, so no point in suggesting a console :)

yegods fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 21, 2021

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

yegods posted:

Budget is open, probably no more than $1000. Modern games, 1080p minimum. Single 1tb sdd is near enough.
I don't think you'll have much luck for $1000, especially with the GPU market being what it is.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

yegods posted:

Maybe something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0939QHDX...2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Mini, only slightly above 1k, comes with a 1650 4 GB. Don't think you'll get much more for under 1k since prebuilt prices have increased right alongside GPU prices.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mordja posted:

I don't think you'll have much luck for $1000, especially with the GPU market being what it is.

1070Ti's are selling on ebay for $500.

Your best bet is honestly paying $1500-1800 for a prebuilt machine with a 3060 in it if you are trying to save money

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Mordja posted:

That was the main reason I stopped researching building my own :)

Still, any pointers to online builders would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

GrandpaPants posted:

I bit the bullet and picked it up. It's honestly not bad, though the combat isn't as meaty as Hollow Knight or Dead Cells (tbf I didn't expect it to be). It has that issue where there is feedback on your hits, but it still feels like all your blows go straight through enemies.

Play posted:

Personally I didn't like the kind paper-cutout, flash-style graphics and also found the game really hard with very little reward. But I'm an idiot and a baby so I say that about a lot of games
I see where you're coming from, not a huge fan of the paperdoll style myself, but I honestly find the graphics better than the normal bunch of these kinds of games. I've only died once so far (to the first enemy that left a lingering damage field on the floor, because it's bloody hard to see!), but it's been a couple of close calls, especially at the second boss.

Edit: Also the game tries really hard to be sad.