Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Dren posted:

I tried to dig the news sources out of this tweet thread and link those but my googling failed me.

https://twitter.com/drericding/status/1406779894785351688?s=21

The thread includes clips from news reports about a delta variant outbreak in New South Wales, Australia. There was confirmed transmission (genetic match of virus 100% the same) from 10-60 cm (4”-2’) distance with only a few seconds of contact. They have (but do not show in the news clips) CCTV footage of the people encountering.

There’s a financial times article too stating that 2 shot immunity to delta is only 81% and that delta is at 31% of US cases and rising. https://www.ft.com/content/d4abbe5e-8650-4a76-9fea-2d3efa2ed52b

now what’s this about a ligma variant?

edit: meanwhile my friends, neighbors, and coworkers think the pandemic is over

That’s pretty much what the NSW Health dept and Health minister Brad Hazzard are saying about the outbreak here. It was Brad Hazzard who called it a ‘near and present danger’ in a presser a few days ago. That tweet is accurate as to what’s being said and how the contact tracers are thinking it’s spread between the infected people we know about.
Check Australian sources like ABC news, Guardian Australia, SBS news, Sydney Morning Herald etc.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/a-near-and-present-danger-concern-over-delta-coronavirus-variant-as-nsw-records-two-new-infections

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/jun/19/new-south-wales-records-three-new-covid-cases-as-mandatory-masks-introduced

e2: if you want the actual source you can watch the 19th June press conference about it from this page here https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/covid-19/Pages/press-conferences.aspx

Helith fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jun 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Dren posted:

now what’s this about a ligma variant?

Ligma balls

lol

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

freebooter posted:

I have a bad cold now and it's the first time I've been sick all pandemic and I forgot how much it loving sucks to spend a week hacking up phlegm

My springtime allergies were especially bad this year, and I felt really self-conscious being out in public coughing even though I've been diligent about mask-wearing. I felt like I should apologize and assure everyone it was just allergies, even on the phone.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CaptainSarcastic posted:

My springtime allergies were especially bad this year, and I felt really self-conscious being out in public coughing even though I've been diligent about mask-wearing. I felt like I should apologize and assure everyone it was just allergies, even on the phone.

You should have joined respirator crew. P100 easily blocks pollen. But no, you didn't want to look like a maniac.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
N95/KN95/KF94/FFP2 also readily block pollen.

Pollen grains are friggin’ huge compared to coronaviruses.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Good news! You can’t get covid if you have a cold.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Ⓧ Doubt

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

ante posted:

Ligma balls

lol

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
So one detail that seems to be going unnoticed is (at least in England) the advice on what constitutes covid symptoms seems to have changed over the last few months.

My source for this is I've been killing time doing volunteer stewarding shifts at vaccination sites, and of course one of the things that you have to do is screen people coming in because you really don't want the waiting room becoming a superspreader site. Since April we've gone from temp check and asking if they have a cough/change of smell or taste, to just asking whether they currently have a fever or just generally "feel unwell", and being told to turn away anyone reporting *any* vague symptoms of infection (fever, headache, runny/stuffy nose, body aches) on top of cough/loss of smell.

I'm not sure if this is a recognition that the screening on well-known symptoms is now a bit pointless because at this point anybody who doesn't know what a loss of smell and taste is probably won't even know they're supposed to be getting a vaccine, or if the new variants are causing more generalised malaise, or maybe even that the new variants (and the lower viral loads that continued masking/distancing and now vaccination are causing) are just generally not producing serious enough illness to be picked up by the older screening questions, but it is definitely interesting.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

smoobles posted:

Sunday is always a dip because nobody gets tested on the Lord's Day. Is BNO new to the pandemic?

There have been other Sundays between March 2020 and yesterday. So, even though Sunday always has the lowest numbers, this last Sunday has been the lowest so far.

The 14-day average, which is pretty good at smoothing out the fluctuations through the week, is at 11,138. That's down 18% and well lower than it has been since testing became widely available. At this rate the average will be below 10,000 cases by July 2nd.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Is much of that down to a lot of states not doing much testing?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

gay picnic defence posted:

That's tremendously unlikely. The number of tests done has remained consistent since the beginning of June, but the number of cases is still falling.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

It depends on the area of the country you're in.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
This ties in with goddamntwisto’s post a bit but the symptoms from delta appear to be more consistent with classic cold and flu symptoms. Headache, sore throat, runny nose, and fever. I tend to think this shift in symptoms would result in more positive people getting tested, not less, since they would be more likely to recognize that they are sick.

We saw seasonality drive rates down last summer, my guess is we’re seeing it again coupled with the downward pressure of vaccinations.

Maybe one of you knows this answer. When they say 2 dose vaccine effectiveness against delta is 81% how can I understand that number? Do I have a 1 in 5 chance of getting covid every time I’m exposed to it or is it that 4 out of 5 vaccinated people are unlikely to get it no matter how many times they are exposed, or does the data not really tell us this answer?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Dren posted:

Maybe one of you knows this answer. When they say 2 dose vaccine effectiveness against delta is 81% how can I understand that number? Do I have a 1 in 5 chance of getting covid every time I’m exposed to it or is it that 4 out of 5 vaccinated people are unlikely to get it no matter how many times they are exposed, or does the data not really tell us this answer?

It means neither really. It means that when you compare equal sized populations of vaccinated and unvaccinated people only 19% as many people in the vaccinated group will catch covid as in the unvaccinated group.

So yeah, the data doesn't tell us the answer.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Thr last number I saw for pfizer/moderna was 88%, though I suppose we don't have it nailed down yet.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Scarodactyl posted:

Thr last number I saw for pfizer/moderna was 88%, though I suppose we don't have it nailed down yet.

Yeah, that was the last one I'd seen. Though 81% might be a realistic number if you averaged the mRNA vaccines out with the others in a given country? I can't see that FT article so I have no idea what their numbers are from.

Unrelated but I really wish we could nail down just how much natural immunity protects from regular covid and the variants. I keep seeing that it's less, but I haven't come across any real numbers or data. You'd think you could work it out the same way you do efficacy, monitor a population of people who have had previous infections but do not plan to get vaccinated and monitor a population with no previous infection that do plan to get vaccinated. Maybe it's an ethical concern because you'd sorta be encouraging people to not get vaccinated in the study?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

wilderthanmild posted:

It means neither really. It means that when you compare equal sized populations of vaccinated and unvaccinated people only 19% as many people in the vaccinated group will catch covid as in the unvaccinated group.

So yeah, the data doesn't tell us the answer.

I’m guessing the breakthrough numbers skew heavily toward elderly people, too, but I guess I don’t know because nobody really brings it up

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dren posted:

You don’t have a one‐in‐five chance per encounter.

You have one‐fifth the chance of getting COVID that an unvaccinated person would have over the entire study period.

There are two extremes here: “all‐or‐nothing” or “leaky vaccine”. In the all‐or‐nothing scenario, your unique body and its interactions with the vaccine either leave you protected or not. You don’t know which. Under this model, you could go empty bedpans in the COVID ward with no PPE and there’s a four out of five chance you’d be fine.

In the leaky vaccine scenario, no encounter with the virus is without risk, it’s just that the per‐interaction risk is much lower for vaccinated persons such that, over the period of study, it works out to eighty percent protection.

The all‐or‐nothing scenario is ultimately better for everyone, and it’s probably closer to the truth. As uncomfortable that the thought that you may be in the unprotected one‐fifth is, it’s better than a world where the virus is endemic and you’re rolling dice every day for the rest of your life. If efficacy was one‐fifth in the study period and the leaky vaccine model was entirely correct, the breakthroughs would get much worse when those months stretched to years and decades. of a few months.

The reality is likely somewhere between the two extreme models. The vaccine provides great protection to some, little to others, and some people have responses in between, where the vaccine will protect them from many but not all exposure events.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 21, 2021

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

wilderthanmild posted:

Yeah, that was the last one I'd seen. Though 81% might be a realistic number if you averaged the mRNA vaccines out with the others in a given country? I can't see that FT article so I have no idea what their numbers are from.

Unrelated but I really wish we could nail down just how much natural immunity protects from regular covid and the variants. I keep seeing that it's less, but I haven't come across any real numbers or data. You'd think you could work it out the same way you do efficacy, monitor a population of people who have had previous infections but do not plan to get vaccinated and monitor a population with no previous infection that do plan to get vaccinated. Maybe it's an ethical concern because you'd sorta be encouraging people to not get vaccinated in the study?

(as previously posted)

Sensitivity of B.1.617.2 to sera from convalescent individuals at 6 and 12 months post-infection posted:

Between 76% and 92% of the individuals neutralized the four strains at M6. The fraction of neutralizers was lower in the second cohort at M12, a phenomenon which was particularly marked for B.1.617.2., 89% of individuals neutralized B.1.1.7 and only 48% neutralized B.1.617.2

(Note that this was a lab/sera test not on individuals)

Eric Topol is very non-doomposty but this seems germane:
https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1405960603991113732

There are only a few countries that have counted on their "naturally gained immunity" as part of their national strategy - India and Brazil both boasted of this in the past.

Everyone needs to get vaccinated.

Blitter fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 21, 2021

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I think the only source for this information right now is Public Health England. You can read the results yourself but the basics are that a single dose is much less effective against delta than Alpha but two doses brings it up to better but still not as good results.

Basically from 12 April to 4 June amongst those who had two doses of Pfizer there were only 12% of the number of symptomatic cases identified as amongst the unvaccinated cohort. Astrazeneca only managed 67% protection after two doses but this does not properly take into account the age of those who received AZ being much older and due to the tiny number of actual cases there isnt enough data to adjust and run a meaningful comparison between vaccines.

https://khub.net/web/phe-national/public-library/-/document_library/v2WsRK3ZlEig/view/479607266

Drilling down deeper than that is just not possible on an individual level.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Blitter posted:

(as previously posted)

Eric Topol is very non-doomposty but this seems germane:
https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1405960603991113732

There are only a few countries that have counted on their "naturally gained immunity" as part of their national strategy. This is not a good approach.

Everyone needs to get vaccinated.

Thank you for that! That's the closest I've seen to the kind of data I want. I just was wishing we had real world data since I want to compare them to vaccine efficacy. I can't quite square real world efficacy numbers with lab tests in my head.

I completely agree that natural immunity is a terrible strategy. It's more just me wanting to quantify just how bad it is. Kind of like if I was getting shot at, I'd want to have like tank armor between me and the bullets, but I'm stuck behind some dead trees and wondering how many bullets are gonna get through.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

The natural immunity thing seems like such a bizarre trend lately, too.

So you want to catch a virus that will gently caress you up, either temporarily or permanently, and that's preferable to you than a vaccine that might give you some nasty side effects for a few days?

I'm seeing it a lot lately, usually coupled with "GOD GAVE US A BEAUTIFUL GIFT CALLED AN IMMUNE SYSTEM!"

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Keep checking out https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/ and NHS England very soon we should see actual breakdowns of the age groups who are getting it, if they have been vaccinated or not, if they go into hospital or not and length of stay in hospital.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see it all come out on the 2nd of July because that’s when they are reviewing lockdown again.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

wilderthanmild posted:

Thank you for that! That's the closest I've seen to the kind of data I want. I just was wishing we had real world data since I want to compare them to vaccine efficacy. I can't quite square real world efficacy numbers with lab tests in my head.

No problem! That same study includes vaccines assessed using the same lab approach so might be worth checking out.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Natural immunity” is a strategy that a four‐year‐old could see is a loser.

“What if instead of doing anything to prepare for a possible military invasion, we just let it happen? Imagine what a tip‐top fighting shape our military will be in after all the experience.” :smuggo:

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

A Fancy Hat posted:

The natural immunity thing seems like such a bizarre trend lately, too.

So you want to catch a virus that will gently caress you up, either temporarily or permanently, and that's preferable to you than a vaccine that might give you some nasty side effects for a few days?

I'm seeing it a lot lately, usually coupled with "GOD GAVE US A BEAUTIFUL GIFT CALLED AN IMMUNE SYSTEM!"

The thing I'm seeing more is people who have either had it or think they had it and figure they don't need the vaccine because of that. I know a handful of people who claim that's the the reason they won't get the shot. It's dumb, but harder to push back on since in their mind they're already immune.

Platystemon posted:

“What if instead of doing anything to prepare for a possible military invasion, we just let it happen? Imagine what a tip‐top fighting shape our military will be in after all the experience.” :smuggo:

But think of how many hardened veteran soldiers we'd have from the fighting retreat all the way to our capitol!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Platystemon posted:

And yet we somehow ended up with braingeniuses like this specimen. "I'm not going to take meds for a leg that isn't broken" :doh:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I don't wish covid on anyone but this guy has a massive public platform to spout his anti-vax bullshit and the only time I've seen people like this change their minds is if they or a close family member got a bad case. Of course there's also lots of examples where someone got covid and still kept denying it was real even as the nurses were feeding the vent tube down their throats so maybe not even then. :shrug:

https://twitter.com/Bease11/status/1405971914607239172

It also doesn't help that many of the celebrities and politicians and public figures who did catch covid also chose to keep quiet about and maybe mention it offhand after they'd recovered.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
People believing that natural immunity is bulletproof and long‐lasting is partly the fault of the individual, but it’s largely a societal problem.

It’s one of many comforting lies that people shared, including people of authority who should have known better. There was the whole mask efficacy debacle, and the six‐foot rule, and “children don’t get it”, and coronaviruses evolve slowly, and when pathogens evolve, they evolve to be less harmful. We just went through “even if there’s a vaccine breakthrough, you’ll just get the sniffles! You definitely won’t get sick or die!”

Sometimes you just need to break some bad news and manage expectations.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 21, 2021

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

ante posted:

Ligma balls

lol

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

coronaviruses evolve slowly

This is still true, it evolves slower than influenza and other RNA viruses due to the proofreading mechanism it has. The mistake was some people mistook this to mean it was going to not be evolving at all and/or variants would take forever to pop up.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 21, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

wilderthanmild posted:

This is still true, it evolves slower than influenza and other RNA viruses due to the proofreading mechanism it has. The mistake was some people mistook this to mean it was going to not be evolving at all and that variants would take forever to pop up.

It’s arguably worse than a quickly‐evolving pathogen, because a quickly‐evolving pathogen can settle into a stable equilibrium faster.

Of course, if there’s no equilibrium and the pathogen can play rock‐paper‐scissors indefinitely, well then that’s a problem.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

wilderthanmild posted:

This is still true, it evolves slower than influenza and other RNA viruses due to the proofreading mechanism it has. The mistake was some people mistook this to mean it was going to not be evolving at all and/or variants would take forever to pop up.

Several cases have been studied where an immuno-compromised person has been infected with nCoV and their immune system incubates the infection for months, during which multiple mutations take place. Boston, UK, and South Africa are a few of the known cases of this type of multiple mutation incubation.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.06.03.21258228v1.full

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/12/uk-variant-puts-spotlight-immunocompromised-patients-role-covid-19-pandemic

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

wilderthanmild posted:

also it evolves much faster when people let it spread everyfuckingwhere :(

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/me...sedgdhp&pc=U531 "pick off" is such special wording.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Computer Serf posted:

Several cases have been studied where an immuno-compromised person has been infected with nCoV and their immune system incubates the infection for months, during which multiple mutations take place. Boston, UK, and South Africa are a few of the known cases of this type of multiple mutation incubation.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.06.03.21258228v1.full

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/12/uk-variant-puts-spotlight-immunocompromised-patients-role-covid-19-pandemic

As an immunocompromised person, I find the official line on vaccine effectiveness relatively meaningless to me and I'm expecting my immune response to the covid vaccine to be less robust, just as it is to other vaccines. The idea that I could incubate novel mutations is horrifying.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Lolie posted:

The idea that I could incubate novel mutations is horrifying.

:glomp: Plague Mother Lolie.

E: I get the feeling, though, and hopefully you won't be.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cuba coming in hot!

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1407118969258098694?s=21

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

loving :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Dunno if that's a skeptical LOL or not but Cuba does one thing very well: literacy and public health. Two things. Literacy, public health and cucurucho de coco. Three thi...Well there's probably more. But Cuba's vaccine efforts are worth a read about at any rate. When you are embargoed by the world's most powerful state 80 miles from your border, you have to learn to do this kind of thing yourself I guess.

They have five different vaccines in development, all using a novel pipeline technique they pioneered two or three years ago with their lung cancer vaccine - remember that? The one that has a bunch of dying Americans flying via Mexico to obtain in Cuba? Two of the five are intranasal, needle-free vaccines. Abdala is one of two that are wrapping up Phase III trials.

They're also developing a "Pan-corona" vaccine aimed particularly at novel variants by targeting parts of the virus that are least prone to variation.

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/latamcaribbean/2021/03/31/cubas-five-covid-19-vaccines-the-full-story-on-soberana-01-02-plus-abdala-and-mambisa/ This is just a blog but summarizes and has some links for more.

Basically, Cuba bet big on biotech in the early 80s and make the most of a very limited economic situation in order to shame the gently caress out of the rest of us medically.

Deep Glove Bruno fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 22, 2021