Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
For real, though:
  • 2 Mark IV heads
  • 1 Recto-Verb 25 head
  • 1 Mark V head
  • 1 Single Rectifier
  • 1 Express Plus 5:25 Combo
And an upcoming TA-15 head that's probably going to also sound super badass with it. It's just... insane. I don't know what the gently caress the people at Boss did to those cabs, but holy gently caress, it's extremely my poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Wark Say posted:

For real, though:
  • 2 Mark IV heads
  • 1 Recto-Verb 25 head
  • 1 Mark V head
  • 1 Single Rectifier
  • 1 Express Plus 5:25 Combo
And an upcoming TA-15 head that's probably going to also sound super badass with it. It's just... insane. I don't know what the gently caress the people at Boss did to those cabs, but holy gently caress, it's extremely my poo poo.

I missed it. What are you Talking about? Is this’ll in a boss katana artist?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Boss sells an extension cabinet for the Katana with two 12" speakers.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Kvlt! posted:

You don't need SS for apartment playing. I live in an apartment and play all my tube heads ranging from 5-100 Watts. Just need a good attenuator.

What attenuators do you own and recommend?

I’ve look at:
Captor X
Boss TAE
Bugera PowerSoak

Can’t make up my mind

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Weber Mass, or any Weber attenuator is what I use. You want one that actually has a load. Avoid "volume pot in the FX loop" stuff like Little Black Box unless you want a lovely attenuator-like thing for ultra cheap.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Apollo posted:

I missed it. What are you Talking about? Is this’ll in a boss katana artist?
Sorry, to explain better: What happened is that I have both an Orange Hybrid PPC212 which allows me to have it set either as an open back or as a closed back and a Zilla Super Fatboy, both which cost me +US500 each new... only for this goofy Boss Katana 2x12 cab to objectively sound better than both despite the fact that, y'know, I got it from a friend for like 130-150 bucks and it sounds better with every single Mesa Boogie Head/Combo I've paired it with. It's insane.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Picked this up last weekend, finally got a power supply of the right voltage/amperage/plug and thankfully it works. Clearance at the pawnshop, originally priced at $390, I'm in it for $175 including power supply.

Now to find that box of old tubes and see what's junk.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

betterinsodapop posted:

If I was looking to buy a small gig/bedroom tube amp:

Marshall: DSL20C combo(10W/20W switchable) or Origin 5 combo (5W/0.5W switchable)

So the origins looks pretty cool. But I’m so new to Marshall stuff. What sounds(bands/era) does the origin sound like, and the DSL?

Can anybody give me a brief rundown on the bands that used these?

Origin
DSL
JCM
plexi
(What else)

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Captain Apollo posted:

So the origins looks pretty cool. But I’m so new to Marshall stuff. What sounds(bands/era) does the origin sound like, and the DSL?

Can anybody give me a brief rundown on the bands that used these?

Origin
DSL
JCM
plexi
(What else)

Plexis are the quintessential 70's/early 80's Marshall sound, used by bands like Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, ZZ Top, early VH, etc. The SV20 is the modern 20W/5W plexi.

The JCM800 is the quintessential 80's high gain sound, used by Slash, Kerry King, Dave Mustaine, Zakk Wylde, etc. However, it's a versatile amp and can do lower gain/cleans quite well. One big distinction vs. plexis is that the JCM has a master volume. The SC20 is the modern 20W/5W version.

The Origin is meant to be a modern re-imagining of the early Marshall sound, so it's closer in sound to a Plexi. It's great for home use due to the attenuation settings - the 20W also has 3W and .5W settings - and the master volume. It reportedly won't do high gain unless the volume is cranked or it gets juiced with an OD pedal, but it's meant to be a great pedal platform.

I'm not a Marshall historian, but I believe that the DSL is a descendant of the JCM series: JCM800->JCM900->JCM2000 Dual Super Lead (DSL)->DSL C series->DSL CR series. Unlike the others, it's a 2-channel amp: "classic gain" for cleans and crunch, "ultra gain" for hard rock/metal. The 40CR and 100HR effectively have four channels - the same 2 channels as the other models, with two modes each: clean and crunch on the "classic gain" channel, OD1 and OD2 on the "ultra gain" channel. The DSLs are the most modern and versatile Marshalls, doing everything well but not cloning the Plexi/JCM800 circuits like the more expensive SV20/SC20. All of the DSLs have half-wattage modes and a master volume.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The plexi/super lead are the classic 60s Marshall’s that distorted only when played so loud that the phase inverter started breaking up. The sound completely badass and are completely unusable volume wise outside of Woodstock. Some people call this The Marshall Sound

The JCM800 added a master volume to get distortion at slightly more reasonable volumes and is also completely badass, although due to the bright cap in its circuit it still needs to be turned up pretty dang loud or else it sounds kinda thin. Some people call this The Marshall Sound.

The JCM900 is Marshall response to players modifying the 800 for higher gain (it doesent have as much as many people assume, metal players stick a boost in front of it) by making an amp that adds another gain stage. I’ve played both good and terrible 900s, they can sound kind of fizzy in the wrong circumstances. Pretty much no one calls this The Marshall Sound

The JCM2000/DSL were the late 90s replacement for the 900 adding more tone options. They used to be really bad and blow up but after being around for 20 years Marshall has quietly updated the internals so they’re a decent mid price, well featured amp.

The TSL was the sibling to the DSL with more features, more channels, worse tone, worse reliability. Now dead I believe.

The mode four was Marshall’s attempt to go full nu metal with a solid state multichannel thing that was optimised for trouser flapping bass. It sucked but it’s matching cab was great.

The JVM was Marshall’s 2010s line, another full featured multichannel amp but a smoother, more refined “modern” sounding amp, like a Friedman more than the rowdiness of an 800.

I’ve never played the origin or Astoria line, plexi inspired I guess?

The tl;dr every amp Marshall come out with claims to sound “as good as a JCM800/plexi but...” with varying degrees of success. They all pretty much do the same thing: have a big raspy KERRANG sound but some feel a bit looser, some tighter, some responding differently at volume thinner and so on. Listing all the bands that used them and the minute differences is pretty much impossible, particularly when you consider that bands mod them or tweak them all the time for their records. Marshalls just sound like Marshalls except for the bad ones which sound like poop.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jun 18, 2021

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Let's stop beating around the bush: The best thing to come out of Marshall in the last quarter century was the AVT/Valvestate line.

Turkey Farts
Jan 4, 2013

My first amp with more beef than a practice amp was a Marshall Valvestate 8240. I've thought about picking one up on the cheap for old time sake, but I feel like it probably sounded good to my 16 year old years and would be kinda trash now compared to the gear I own.

I did recently reacquire a Marshall Jackhammer and that thing rips.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Buddy I have bad news about Valvestate prices.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
My first Marshall was an MG15 from the early 00's and it was so bad that it discouraged me from playing. Luckily, nearly two decades later, I have a DSL40CR and it does pretty much everything I want

That strange guy
Dec 14, 2014

It's not strange if we never mention it again.

Wark Say posted:

Let's stop beating around the bush: The best thing to come out of Marshall in the last quarter century was the AVT/Valvestate line.

Vs100's are great

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, after Andy Sneap basically started doing his shill about them, they started becoming stupid expensive. But if you can find one for cheap (meaning 200-350 price range), they're surprisingly good. An old AVT50 from, like, 2002 or something (I bought it in 2004) has been basically my main writing tool for the last decade and a half before I went all in on the Yamaha THR line back in 2018-2019 (I have a 10X and a 10C). And I still pretty much use it almost exclusively for band practice because it's legit still loud as gently caress.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Speaking of improbably competent solid state amps from the early 2000s, I recently hooked up an A/B pedal and did a comparison between my venerable Peavey Transtube Studio Pro and the Katana 50 Mk II. Both have pretty similar modes, with the Boss having an accoustic model, and the Peavey having two different clean voicings (modern/vintage).

The clean tone on the peavey holds up, but the Katana utterly destroys it in all 3 higher gain modes, before you even get to the impressive collection of simulated drives. The peavey sounds muddy compared to the katana, which sounds way more tight and articulate, and the Peavey is really loving noisy without a noise gate, whereas the katana is dead quiet on the higher gain modes even without the built in gate enabled.

Both amps are great in that you can dial in a sound in 5 seconds and just play, but the katana just does it better. Then when you add the option to chuck a DS-1/BD-2/MUFF/HM-2 in front or just throw a delay on there with the twist of a knob, a cab emulated line/headphone out and the variable wattage, it's no contest.

So the peavey now lives with my niece, who recently discovered grunge.

Those katanas really are something special. Also if you haven't hosed around with the app, do so, there's a lot of cool poo poo buried in there.

Don Dongington fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 16, 2021

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Great post to lead into this question:

My katana head just showed up, what do I need to mess with on the computer to make it better? There's secret amps in there right?

I'm looking for a clean JC type tone, an Orange stoner metal type tone, a Marshall death metal high gain tone, and idk what else. I know & love the boss pedal line... but also wanna stack like a blues driver into a muff and it seems like I can do one or the other in Tone Studio? hmph.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
No secret amps on my 50 as far as I remember, like on the Vox ADIO etc, but there are tonnes of stomp boxes and effects that aren't available from the panel without the app.

Boss tone studio is the app, on Win 10 it should install the drivers automatically when you plug in the USB cable and turn it on.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

There's secret amps!!!

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=20630.0

I think this should just work in the Mk1, in the MK2 you need to split the files. Its a little harder to find the split file but its out there so I didn't bother to upload mine but PM or something if anyone wants it. If you have an older FW mk1 you have Orange and Bogner models that everyone else lost but you need 3rd party software to get them (idk about this I'm just using tone studio livesets).

Having a lot of fun with these. Lots of samey sounds but a couple stand outs (1959 1+2, a couple of the crunches, I just generally like Mesa models but I was vibing on the rectos).

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

JamesKPolk posted:

There's secret amps!!!

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=20630.0

I think this should just work in the Mk1, in the MK2 you need to split the files. Its a little harder to find the split file but its out there so I didn't bother to upload mine but PM or something if anyone wants it. If you have an older FW mk1 you have Orange and Bogner models that everyone else lost but you need 3rd party software to get them (idk about this I'm just using tone studio livesets).

Having a lot of fun with these. Lots of samey sounds but a couple stand outs (1959 1+2, a couple of the crunches, I just generally like Mesa models but I was vibing on the rectos).
You are a god. I never knew about any of this. Can't wait to fire up a Bogner in this wacky thing.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Hello y'all

I've found myself playing Bass VI as a baritone guitar and really would like to look at a guitar rig. In rehearsal I'm playing thru a friend's 69 Bandmaster head into a Mesa 412 cab, with treble and bass at 0 to get as much midrange back.

Ideally I'd like a 2x12 cab that's angled so I can stack the speakers vertically, but I'm trying to find a good amp head. I usually tend to run my amp clean and use pedals for dirt/fuzz but I've been experimenting with running it a little hotter. A mid knob is necessary for the amp because I'll most likely keep it dimed.

I had the Fender Hot Rod 12 years ago but sold it to my Dad since I did not need a guitar amp at that time, I've been looking at their 212 combo but for the sake of packing I think the amp/cab pair is the way to go.

What do you got for me goons? Let's say budget is 1k.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Old Fender tube amps like that Bandmaster have decent low end when run through a bass cab, if you don't need a really tight aggressive downtuned kind of thing. Something like an old silverface Bassman and an efficient bass cab would probably make a pretty good baritone guitar amp. Maybe an eq or a mid-heavy drive pedal in front? I tend to like my Fenders with the eq knobs on 10 and do any eq in front of the amp.

Could get more mids doing the same thing with an EL34 amp, maybe an old Laney or something. An AOR head should be cheap and has assloads of mids.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Gorgar posted:

Old Fender tube amps like that Bandmaster have decent low end when run through a bass cab, if you don't need a really tight aggressive downtuned kind of thing. Something like an old silverface Bassman and an efficient bass cab would probably make a pretty good baritone guitar amp. Maybe an eq or a mid-heavy drive pedal in front? I tend to like my Fenders with the eq knobs on 10 and do any eq in front of the amp.

Could get more mids doing the same thing with an EL34 amp, maybe an old Laney or something. An AOR head should be cheap and has assloads of mids.

I get where you're coming from but after much trial and error, the VI sounds best when I play it thru a guitar cab. I use the strangle/low cut switch to shelve all the super low freqs. I already have an EQ pedal in my chain but I have thought about upgrading to a better one.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Have definitely had the same thing about guitar speakers instead of bass speakers for baritone. I've been using an Eastman Sidejack bari (B-b) as my main instrument for a bit now, and it sounds like God through my late '70s Fender Super Six Reverb (basically a Twin with six 10" speakers, often cited as an example of the worst excesses of the CBS era).

Now if I could only find a way to get it out of the house...

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I play my baritone through my peavey 6505 :black101:

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I'm definitely coming from another direction, then. I run most of my guitar amps with bass cabs no matter what I'm playing through them.

Haven't really connected much with my own baritone but I tend to run it through an Orange Thunderverb for maximum beefiness.

brushwad
Dec 25, 2009

After The War posted:

late '70s Fender Super Six Reverb

Thank you! this is the amp the guitarist (and long-ago best friend) in my high school garage band had, and now I know what it is!

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Gorgar posted:

I'm definitely coming from another direction, then. I run most of my guitar amps with bass cabs no matter what I'm playing through them.

Haven't really connected much with my own baritone but I tend to run it through an Orange Thunderverb for maximum beefiness.

When I played it through a bass cab it just muddied up the sound and really got in the way of the bass player unless I played exclusively above the 12th fret

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

Noise Machine posted:

When I played it through a bass cab it just muddied up the sound and really got in the way of the bass player unless I played exclusively above the 12th fret

yeah, as a bass player who's played with a bass VI player this is veeery easy to do; i appreciate you for considering the bass player. i perma-loaned homie a graphic eq, and told him to eradicate everything below approx 80hz.

guitar through a bass amp rules because you don't really have access to the bass's zone (unless you're playing extended range), the bass vi runs into a lot of issues playing with other people because it covers such a broad spectrum of frequencies.

Back of the Bus
Aug 15, 2004

Pimpin' ain't easy when yo ride's full of schoolchildren.

After The War posted:

Have definitely had the same thing about guitar speakers instead of bass speakers for baritone. I've been using an Eastman Sidejack bari (B-b) as my main instrument for a bit now, and it sounds like God through my late '70s Fender Super Six Reverb (basically a Twin with six 10" speakers, often cited as an example of the worst excesses of the CBS era).

Now if I could only find a way to get it out of the house...

I wish I had a baritone for my super six, right now I've got a jazzmaster which is close.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Thinking about the Marshall Origin 50 watt amp...

Or a Quilter. Mentally I know Solid State amps are fine, but emotionally I still want those overtones to saturate the good ol' fashioned way, but the idea of having 200w of pure clean headroom are certainly appealing.

epic 2012 username
Mar 26, 2021

by Hand Knit

Noise Machine posted:

Thinking about the Marshall Origin 50 watt amp...

Or a Quilter. Mentally I know Solid State amps are fine, but emotionally I still want those overtones to saturate the good ol' fashioned way, but the idea of having 200w of pure clean headroom are certainly appealing.

50 watts of all tube power brother? Thats alot of meat!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
All depends on the drummer and the room. All the guitarists hearing drumsets up close for the first time in a year and a half (myself included) are in for quite the reminder of how loud those bastards get, especially in a small room.

I know even once we start playing out again, it probably won't be in venues with yer fancy "moneeetors" and "sownguys."

epic 2012 username
Mar 26, 2021

by Hand Knit

After The War posted:

All depends on the drummer and the room. All the guitarists hearing drumsets up close for the first time in a year and a half (myself included) are in for quite the reminder of how loud those bastards get, especially in a small room.

I know even once we start playing out again, it probably won't be in venues with yer fancy "moneeetors" and "sownguys."

My supro is a mere 5 watts and its loud as poo poo

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

epic 2012 username posted:

My supro is a mere 5 watts and its loud as poo poo

my bass player plays with a 200 watt all tube Orange head into an Ampeg 410, so I have to be at least slightly competitive

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
It's all relative. My 12 watt Princeton hits "eviction volume" at home on 3, but the few times I've tried it with live drums, it might as well have been a fart in a hurricane, even wide open at 10-10-10.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

After The War posted:

It's all relative. My 12 watt Princeton hits "eviction volume" at home on 3, but the few times I've tried it with live drums, it might as well have been a fart in a hurricane, even wide open at 10-10-10.

sounds like you need a new drummer

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
Picked up a Blackstar Studio 10 (6L6 version) on Friday and I'm really enjoying it. I'm in an apartment so I can't exactly crank it but I can still play around with the master volume to get some nice driven sounds at manageable levels, or hit it with overdrive/fuzz pedals. Plus I can dial it in to that sweet spot where it's mostly clean unless you really dig in. Speaker seems decent enough but I really wanted to try upgrading it so I ordered a Neo Creamback and I can't wait to try it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brushwad
Dec 25, 2009
I had my amplifier epiphany today after buying a tube amp to play my first expensive guitar through.

I've owned a couple of Squiers, an Epiphone, a Gretsch Streamliner, and a Danelectro -- all played through an inexpensive modeling amp, none of them *quite* right, until I sold everything off to buy a Ric and a Vox AC10.

I've still got the Epi ES-339 Pro in its case in the corner, because I promised to my sister, who is in love with it, but hasn't quite yet scrounged up the price we agreed to.

Today, I plugged it into the Vox for shits and giggles ... and Oh. My. God ...

With the coils tapped, it jangles and chimes and shimmers beautifully. It's not a Ric -- but then again, what is? -- however, it sounds AMAZING through that amp. In full humbucker mode, it sounds like the trumpets announcing the second coming!

For anyone on the fence about stepping up to a tube amp, or chasing the "missing element" of tone, I can only say get some TUBES into your life right now!