Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

bull3964 posted:

I mean, it's not like OnePlus wasn't much more than a re-skinned Oppo since the beginning. If it streamlines the update process, it could be beneficial.

Not that it matters once the Pixel 6 hype train rolls through the station in 4 months.

I've noticed updates have been monthly instead of bimonthly on my OP6T since the start of the year, so that's been a good change already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Becoming increasingly convinced that the S21+ with expanded memory is unobtainium. Should have just kept the SD card slot.
e: just pulled the trigger on the 128gb version instead. Next step: figure out how to adapt my wired headphones to Bluetooth. The cable's a removable double-ended male 3.5mm jack, so maybe a Bluetooth adapter plugged in directly, if that gives enough power to actually power it...

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 21, 2021

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
My 7 year old has sort of fallen in love with vlogging. We don't let her *actually* put stuff on the internet or anything like that, but she loves walking around with my phone and recording videos of herself talking to her "fans" etc and doing stuff. I'd like to encourage that kind of activity as opposed to just watching streamers all day.

So with that in mind, I think a cheap-ish phone with decent (for a 7 year old) video capabilites would be fun for her. Preferably something I can power up and use without needing a sim card (don't want it to actually be used as a phone).

Under $200. Is a used Pixel my best bet?

My biggest unknown is whether they can be powered up and used without a sim card.

We had an old Lumia Windows Phone (I miss those) that she was using but broke it.

edit: Oops... two things I would like: external micro SD slot and somewhat ok low light performance since she just likes to walk around and record herself in natural light.

edit 2: Lumia phones are cheap on eBay and had decent cameras. Maybe I should get a replacement there.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 21, 2021

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

BonoMan posted:

My 7 year old has sort of fallen in love with vlogging. We don't let her *actually* put stuff on the internet or anything like that, but she loves walking around with my phone and recording videos of herself talking to her "fans" etc and doing stuff. I'd like to encourage that kind of activity as opposed to just watching streamers all day.

So with that in mind, I think a cheap-ish phone with decent (for a 7 year old) video capabilites would be fun for her. Preferably something I can power up and use without needing a sim card (don't want it to actually be used as a phone).

Under $200. Is a used Pixel my best bet?

My biggest unknown is whether they can be powered up and used without a sim card.

We had an old Lumia Windows Phone (I miss those) that she was using but broke it.

edit: Oops... two things I would like: external micro SD slot and somewhat ok low light performance since she just likes to walk around and record herself in natural light.

edit 2: Lumia phones are cheap on eBay and had decent cameras. Maybe I should get a replacement there.

Every phone can be used as a tiny tablet if you just don't put an SD card in it. You could probably get away with a recent Nokia 2.4, 3.4 or similar for under $150: https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_us/nokia-3-4

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

Every phone can be used as a tiny tablet if you just don't put an SD card in it. You could probably get away with a recent Nokia 2.4, 3.4 or similar for under $150: https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_us/nokia-3-4

You mean a SIM card?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

BonoMan posted:

Alternative suggestion is to get a 4k gimbal camera and let her play around with that.

The Xiaomi Fimi Plam goes for around $100 when on sale.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Ragingsheep posted:

Alternative suggestion is to get a 4k gimbal camera and let her play around with that.

That was my first thought. Get some GoPro action cam knock off or that type of thing.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

If you want something with a pretty decent camera that the kid can do a bit of editing on but doesn't have all the phone stuff an iPod Touch might be a decent shout...

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ragingsheep posted:

Ha I thought about this too but for some reason didn't think to look at the cheaper market. Instead I got a used DJI OM4 for $100 to go with whatever phone I get her.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

BonoMan posted:

Not a phone suggestion, but depending on your comfort with Facebook, my sis got her kids Messenger Kids accounts. Parents control who they can friend. I think they can read the messages. As an adult, I'm not allowed to send them gifs or video links, though I can attach photos and take videos through the app and video call.

One of her kids goes through bursts of "vlogging" where they will do the walk around and talk thing and send the videos out to family. It's cute (in short bursts, only so much I can watch of them showing off their toys).

The kids will also get into fights and then tattle on each other in the group chat, so it's exactly like being on the internet!

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I'm guessing a child replicating influencers will want an iPhone/smartphone because, well that's what they've been influenced to see.
Grab something that's 2-3years old and was midrange at the time, it'll be cheap as anything now and suitable for the task.

Also use something that supports SD cards so you/she doesn't need to delete videos to keep recording.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Khablam posted:

I'm guessing a child replicating influencers will want an iPhone/smartphone because, well that's what they've been influenced to see.
Grab something that's 2-3years old and was midrange at the time, it'll be cheap as anything now and suitable for the task.

Also use something that supports SD cards so you/she doesn't need to delete videos to keep recording.

Yeah this is pretty much what I'm aiming for. The phone option was less an influencer thing and more that, when she discovered my phone could record videos, she instantly took to that format just for ease of use. All of the streamers she watches on Happy Kids are just streaming their games with some mounted camera she never sees.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Android 12 Beta 2.1 now rolling out, goons.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Did they do partial patches before? Seems like really targeted bug fixes as the update on my 4a was only 4mb.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

bull3964 posted:

Did they do partial patches before? Seems like really targeted bug fixes as the update on my 4a was only 4mb.

Yeah literally just bug fixes. Although my Pixel 5 download is 78MB.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I had 2 updates on my 3a, didn't reboot in between them

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

"Okay Google" has (again) stopped responding and when I go to the app to turn it back on (again), I see this screen.

I cannot find this setting in either my phone options nor in the Google app options.

Um, help?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Uthor posted:

"Okay Google" has (again) stopped responding and when I go to the app to turn it back on (again), I see this screen.

I cannot find this setting in either my phone options nor in the Google app options.

Um, help?

Searching the settings on my pixel 4a 5G for "hey" it ended up in Settings - Apps & notifications - Assistant - Say Hey Google
So maybe it's there instead of where it used to be which is what the help is suggesting.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

That takes me to the screen that I took a screenshot of.

If I wasn't clear, I can't toggle the switch to turn "hey Google" on. It tells me to go to some setting called "voice input" and that's the setting that I can't find.

Edit: I found a "Language & Input" page, but no "Voice Input" setting from there.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 24, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FCC indicates that Fold 3 supports S-Pen. Gonna be interesting to see how that works with a foldable screen without leaving divots.

Also, Windows 11 will have Android Apps as fully integrated first class applications.

https://www.engadget.com/microsoft-windows-11-android-apps-154014628.html?src=rss_b2c

Doesn't look like Google Play support though.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 24, 2021

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Android 12.2 on my Pixel 5 is still pretty buggy. I can’t open anything except Telegram as everything else crashes.

E: Well, Telegram and Google Pay

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I know I've wasted a lot of space itt complaining about my drat samsung BUT

I keep having this issue with my S20 where, especially or perhaps exclusively in snapchat, the camera just starts shaking. I'm also having an annoying issue where gboard just seems to intermittently stop receiving input which is a lot of fun when trying to respond to an important work text. I wonder if they'd fix or replace it for me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/1408118689799585796

Spen confirmed for the Fold 3 again.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Place bets now

(a) Samsung actually solved foldable screen durability
(b) Samsung just covered it in warnings not to press the pen too hard, so it's the user's fault when they inevitably dent their screen

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

(c) You can only use it on the external screen.

To be clear, this is not the first foldable with a stylus. The X1 Fold from Lenovo supports a stylus. I haven't seen much on how they are holding up though.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 24, 2021

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The Android TV Home Discover update pushed through Google Play Services and really sucks on the Shield TV. Always a bunch of recommendations for content I would never want to watch. The old Shield TV Home list was already setup with all the watch next bits that I already had setup for all my apps but nope, they have to add their own spin and have no way to turn it off.

Bravo Google. Way to mess up what was a yet another good thing.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Yeah it's basically an ad for Apple TV for me at the moment, which is kind of funny. Hopefully they'll allow you to at least customise it a bit

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Dang, after all these mentions in the thread,I'm starting to find the Surface Duo intriguing. Amazon has it for dirt cheap and my Pixel 3 XL will be obsolete in a couple months. The main thing that sucks is the fact that the pen is a hundred loving dollars by itself.

I have a Surface Pro 4, and while I expected more from its build quality as a laptop, the same would be more than enough for a $600 phone. Also, in the case of my SP4, the software got a lot better about 6 months after release.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Is there a way for a samsung phone to not lock the phone/turn off the screen when I close a flip cover on it so that I can keep hearing a youtube running in the background?

For the life of me I cant find any options that do this.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Is there a way for a samsung phone to not lock the phone/turn off the screen when I close a flip cover on it so that I can keep hearing a youtube running in the background?

For the life of me I cant find any options that do this.

If it's the YouTube app, background play is a subscription feature. Third party apps might be able to do it for free but I don't have any recommendations.

Reflections85
Apr 30, 2013

isndl posted:

If it's the YouTube app, background play is a subscription feature. Third party apps might be able to do it for free but I don't have any recommendations.

I've had good luck with NewPipe for listening to YouTube with the screen off.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Newpipe is a FOSS youtube client that's liable to be broken intentionally at any point, but currently works for it.
You can find it and sideload it or grab it on the F-droid repository.

e: somewhat beaten :)

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Reflections85 posted:

I've had good luck with NewPipe for listening to YouTube with the screen off.

Khablam posted:

Newpipe is a FOSS youtube client that's liable to be broken intentionally at any point, but currently works for it.
You can find it and sideload it or grab it on the F-droid repository.

e: somewhat beaten :)

thanks!

Welsh Rarebitch
Jun 5, 2011
Firefox nightly + ublock + allow-background-play addon

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
Vanced is great too.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

My Pixel 5 has started completely freezing about once a day (requiring a hard reset)

It's never in the same app either. Any suggestions?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Does Android have any offering akin to event viewer in Windows?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I'll come back in a few days with a more in-depth review once I've had it a while, but preliminary observation on the S21 Plus: I'm getting the exact same battery life as my old Honor 7X with its worn-out 3300 mAh battery (vs a brand new 4800 mAh one). And I'm actually controlling for conditions as well as I can, too - I'm carrying both of them around with me (in the same pocket or otherwise immediately next to each other) and alternating use between the two with the same apps whenever possible, and they're staying within 1% of battery life and 30 minutes of estimated life remaining, consistently, for at least the first 35%.

Not terribly impressed with that. Camera is fantastic though. Further thoughts later.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

codo27 posted:

Does Android have any offering akin to event viewer in Windows?

Yes but you can't access it without root. The word you're looking for is logcat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

SkyeAuroline posted:

I'll come back in a few days with a more in-depth review once I've had it a while, but preliminary observation on the S21 Plus: I'm getting the exact same battery life as my old Honor 7X with its worn-out 3300 mAh battery (vs a brand new 4800 mAh one). And I'm actually controlling for conditions as well as I can, too - I'm carrying both of them around with me (in the same pocket or otherwise immediately next to each other) and alternating use between the two with the same apps whenever possible, and they're staying within 1% of battery life and 30 minutes of estimated life remaining, consistently, for at least the first 35%.

Not terribly impressed with that. Camera is fantastic though. Further thoughts later.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > The Android Thread - gently caress samsung