Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Z the IVth posted:

I mean, they're domesticated wolves.

Would you be concerned if a show used 30 Labradors instead?

I'm am American. I can handle 30-50 feral animals at once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Really late, but we visited Sonic with some friends while roadtripping in the US. I didn't know about the rollerskates (or anything about Sonic tbh) before so it was in itself really weird, but then also the waitress kept falling down and clinging to posts and walls for her dear life. Finally the very flustered manager ran out and told her to get back in. It felt like being in a really strange absurdist comedy.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Doll House Ghost posted:

Really late, but we visited Sonic with some friends while roadtripping in the US. I didn't know about the rollerskates (or anything about Sonic tbh) before so it was in itself really weird, but then also the waitress kept falling down and clinging to posts and walls for her dear life. Finally the very flustered manager ran out and told her to get back in. It felt like being in a really strange absurdist comedy.
Generally they don't seem to wear the skates unless they want to. We had one dude who was like, Brian Boitano level talented, and it was strangely fun. Dude was just spinning around at like 50,000 rpm somehow not spilling the tray.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Some Sonic franchises pay a higher hourly rate if you can skate and serve. When I had a friend working at one in Tennessee, he said it was $1/hr increase, so everyone eventually tried it. When you make federal minimum wage, anything to make the extra buck.

It's '50s boomer nostalgia driven and I can't wait for a better drive-in to put them out of business. The tots suck, too.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Some Sonic franchises pay a higher hourly rate if you can skate and serve. When I had a friend working at one in Tennessee, he said it was $1/hr increase, so everyone eventually tried it. When you make federal minimum wage, anything to make the extra buck.

It's '50s boomer nostalgia driven and I can't wait for a better drive-in to put them out of business. The tots suck, too.

their food is so bad, the skating doesn't help improve the experience at all for me...and who's even still alive now that remembers drive in skating places...Sonic needs to give that poo poo up and move to hoverboards is what I'm saying.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You should park around a giant pool and they use those water jetpacks.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Some Sonic franchises pay a higher hourly rate if you can skate and serve.

gotta serve fast

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

LifeSunDeath posted:

their food is so bad, the skating doesn't help improve the experience at all for me...and who's even still alive now that remembers drive in skating places...Sonic needs to give that poo poo up and move to hoverboards is what I'm saying.

Anything that comes out of a fryer at Sonic should go directly into the trash. The burgers are okay, but only barely. They remind me of the rural local diner garbage burger constantly highlighted in the Americana thread.

It's all chasing nostalgia. I'm an early millennial and I remember roller rinks and the old A&W hot dog stand from the nearby small city where the carhops skated out in the late 80s, but that place was only open six months of the year. Largely depends on where you were raised, I guess.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

This happened in my town... The guy claimed to have been run cut off by another vehicle.

https://www.greensburgdailynews.com/news/two-injured-in-fiery-i-74-semi-accident/article_9e15f096-b90f-5825-b0b8-4f1ce1354a10.html

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Thats odd i never even knew they did the skates thing.
Can confirm Sonic is dog food level trash best to be avoided unless youre desperate.
And gently caress their dumb commercial's.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/yUA2J3a.gifv

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Photonicinduction doing... something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pDcv6g1FE0

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

I think it needs the Talking Heads "Once in a Lifetime" as a soundtrack

You may ask yourself, how did I get here...

And why the gently caress didn't I connect my safety harness.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Fumble posted:

They had a pack of wolves, waiting for the Alpha to make its move.

Next time they should try using 30 domesticated Pit bulls.
:science: Alpha wolves are a lie.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Harry_Potato posted:

I think it needs the Talking Heads "Once in a Lifetime" as a soundtrack

You may ask yourself, how did I get here...

And why the gently caress didn't I connect my safety harness.

They appear to be connected, see the rope hanging from the harness. To me the short unconnected whatchamacallit looks like it's for attaching yourself to fixed points to catch your breath or leaving hands free. Or maybe I'm reading the setup wrong.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

They appear to be connected, see the rope hanging from the harness. To me the short unconnected whatchamacallit looks like it's for attaching yourself to fixed points to catch your breath or leaving hands free. Or maybe I'm reading the setup wrong.

Yeah looks connected to me. Though without one of those things that slows descent by unbundling a bunch line, it's gonna be a hard stop once the safety line is taut.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Sonic does have carbonates cherry limeade. Or at least used to at the one I’d stop at, they were a great form of daily hfcs.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
His harness is connected, but if it's like mine it's connected to the non-shock-rated positioning connect (the ones on the sides are not for fall protection, they're for positioning straps so you can rest your legs while you work at an angle) and there's definitely no fall arrester and he's daisy-chained two ropes together and those ropes are connected with Rebar Hooks, which are not intended for vertical work.

So he's got his harness connected, but all it's gonna do is shatter his pelvis and at least one of the linkages before he falls to the ground to die.

E: Yeah, you can see the much better-secured fall arrest attachment point on his back just after his foot slips, and a positioning strap attached to his other positioning point. We just watched a man barely evade a horribly painful death.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 21, 2021

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah looks connected to me. Though without one of those things that slows descent by unbundling a bunch line, it's gonna be a hard stop once the safety line is taut.

Unless it's a dynamic rope like rock climbers et al use in which case it is somewhat elastic by itself. But with that much lax I think it would still be plenty uncomfortable.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Z the IVth posted:

I mean, they're domesticated wolves.

Would you be concerned if a show used 30 Labradors instead?

I want to see them try to use 30 huskies. They look the part, but good loving luck wrangling them into doing anything they don't already want to do. The sheer quantity of howling would be hilarious too.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Plastik posted:

His harness is connected, but if it's like mine it's connected to the non-shock-rated positioning connect

True! That's really scary, this clip has layers.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Nenonen posted:

Unless it's a dynamic rope like rock climbers et al use in which case it is somewhat elastic by itself. But with that much lax I think it would still be plenty uncomfortable.

Looks like flax rope to me. Modern dynamic ropes have a woven cover over an inner core (usually multiple cores) and are most often nylon. No matter what kind of rope it is, it's fraying an awful lot for something he's trusting his life to.

E: And the splice for the loop looks like it's covered in opaque tape on both ropes, so you can't even inspect it to see if it's coming undone. There's like twenty OSHA violations in that very short clip.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 21, 2021

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/tduYhIl.mp4

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Pingiivi posted:

Photonicinduction doing... something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pDcv6g1FE0

It's what it says on the tin, he is handling that file-cabinet sized mercury-filled vacuum glass bulb with every care.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/ig1wsZj.mp4

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Finally, someone training for the rope climb on Ninja Warrior.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_Hurricane_Dorian_in_The_Bahamas

quote:

"At least 60% of Grand Bahama Island was left submerged as Dorian moved away on September 3."

spookykid fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 22, 2021

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1406990357720674306
I hope all the wales watched from a safe distance :ohdear:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What do the Welsh have anything to do with it? :confused:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

If whales or sea turtles are spotted in the area they don't let you press the button. I'm not joking, the test will be delayed for that.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
THANK you, Comrade! I keep trying to get the word out because it's imperialism's favorite lie about the natural world.

And then a movie about a caveman taming a wolf was released shortly after that study was basically buried, called Alpha, lmao. Amerikkka NEEDS its might-makes-right narrative!

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

can anyone who knows explain the optics of beautiful colorful blue shock wave that passes underneath the water?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Crazypoops posted:

can anyone who knows explain the optics of beautiful colorful blue shock wave that passes underneath the water?

It's bubbles.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Crazypoops posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA52uNzx7Y4

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Crazypoops posted:

Pressure waves travel faster in water than in air. It takes more energy to get them started, but once they do they move like gangbuster. As seen in the video, they easily outrace the sound waves in the air.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Crazypoops posted:

As the shock wave gets close to the surface, the water starts cavitating (boiling), creating a mass of tiny bubbles that reflect blue light and allow the longer wavelengths to pass through.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tubgoat posted:

THANK you, Comrade! I keep trying to get the word out because it's imperialism's favorite lie about the natural world.

And then a movie about a caveman taming a wolf was released shortly after that study was basically buried, called Alpha, lmao. Amerikkka NEEDS its might-makes-right narrative!

lol

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Atticus_1354 posted:

It's bubbles.

This.

Shockwave passes, the pressure is lower on the trailing side, the decrease in pressure so near the surface causes cavitation. The shockwave is going out in all directions but deeper down the water pressure's high enough to not get much in the way of cavitation even on the trailing edge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvM2E540nYg

Just as the charge goes off in the first second of this video, you see the cavitation on the trailing side of the shockwave, as the bubble from the explosion is still expanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

That looks a lot more insane if you think the barge is the aircraft carrier. Apparently the video was taken from the aircraft carrier. Here's a video that has another angle showing how close the explosion was to the actual ship:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMfkO5iUkb4

There has been a strain of thinking among some that surface vessels are deprecated and will all fair immediately the event of a large-scale, major-powers war. They can't really hide, and they can't outrun ICBMs, so if things were to ever get hot between the US and a country with a strong missile program then they'd all be sunk in the first day. I imagine tests like this are meant to counter that argument.

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 22, 2021