Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Is the newer 14 Quinta Ruban really as negative a departure from the 12 that the Scotch world seems to think it is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Professor Shark posted:

Is the newer 14 Quinta Ruban really as negative a departure from the 12 that the Scotch world seems to think it is?

where's that coming from? everyone that I've spoken to about it loves that they upped the age statement on it

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Can anyone recommend an apple or other fruit whiskey for my dad? He likes the poo poo that tastes like corn syrup apple flavor and ten high so really anything is a step up.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Deceptive Thinker posted:

where's that coming from? everyone that I've spoken to about it loves that they upped the age statement on it

Master of Malt reviews mostly

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

tokenbrownguy posted:

Can anyone recommend an apple or other fruit whiskey for my dad? He likes the poo poo that tastes like corn syrup apple flavor and ten high so really anything is a step up.

Are you looking for whiskey with flavoring added (e.g. "Jim Beam Green Apple") or just whiskey that is sort of reminiscent of apple/fruit flavor?

If it's the former you're probably fine just grabbing anything with a picture of the desired fruit on the label off the shelf.

If it's the latter you could do worse than the basic Buffalo Trace bourbon (honey, sweet, maybe a bit of caramel apple if you dig enough) or a straightforward entry-level Speyside Scotch like Glenfiddich 12 (gentle pear and apple notes).

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

Master of Malt reviews mostly

Keep in mind any schmuck can submit a review on that site. Not different from sites like Connosr or Whiskybase, but at least you have to create an account there. Master of Malt is like the youtube comment section of malt reviews.

There might be something to the quality of casks going down in the past few years, as demand has surged. But I think with any hobby you'll have people saying "I was enjoying this before [x] went to poo poo" as a badge of honor.

A Jupiter fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 17, 2021

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

A Jupiter posted:

But I think with any hobby you'll have people saying "I was enjoying this before [x] went to poo poo" as a badge of honor.
God, this really is so loving true with every single hobby I have. I loving hate that poo poo.

tokenbrownguy posted:

I think Vox Nihili pretty much nailed it with Jim Beam Apple. I've also seen Jack Daniels Tennessee Apple out there too.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

A Jupiter posted:

But I think with any hobby you'll have people saying "I was enjoying this before [x] went to poo poo" as a badge of honor.

While not entirely analogous, I'm recalling the argument I had earlier this week with a guy who was trying to convince me that Elmer T. Lee was absolutely worth $200 and was the best whiskey he tasted out of 40 others blind, and I'm just mad that I "can't afford it anymore" - meanwhile Eagle Rare is swill not even worth the $30 I paid for my last bottle of Elmer T. Lee
Oh and all store picks are garbage that the distilleries pass on to be picked by uncultured liquor store employees

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

tokenbrownguy posted:

If you take a step away from whiskey, there's stuff like apple jack, calvados or another apple brandy. I've had St George and Copper and Kings and they are both quite good.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

tokenbrownguy posted:

My brother swears by Howler Head, which is banana-flavored whiskey.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Wow thanks everybody! Lot's lots of options.

Vox Nihili posted:

Are you looking for whiskey with flavoring added (e.g. "Jim Beam Green Apple") or just whiskey that is sort of reminiscent of apple/fruit flavor?

If it's the former you're probably fine just grabbing anything with a picture of the desired fruit on the label off the shelf.

If it's the latter you could do worse than the basic Buffalo Trace bourbon (honey, sweet, maybe a bit of caramel apple if you dig enough) or a straightforward entry-level Speyside Scotch like Glenfiddich 12 (gentle pear and apple notes).

He's about the former, I'm trying non-too-subtlety to push the latter.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Has anyone had the George Dickel 15 year single barrel? I saw it for $65. Worth it?

If you like the signature Dickel-ness of their whiskey.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Look Sir Droids posted:

Has anyone had the George Dickel 15 year single barrel? I saw it for $65. Worth it?

It’s a more expensive, less good, but more available Dickel BiB. I would pick the Dickel BiB over it any time. Even the 2021 bottling of Dickel BiB that just came out and is less good than the last two.

I’d also pick the following bottles with similar flavor/nose profiles over it too:

Obtanium Light Whiskey
McKenna 10
Angel’s Envy
Larceny
Woodford Double Oaked

It’s just not enough of my taste to justify a purchase for me over lots of other things. If you like a little BiB but wish it was spicier and more orangey then it might be for you.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 18, 2021

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Lawlicaust posted:

It’s a more expensive, less good, but more available Dickel BiB. I would pick the Dickel BiB over it any time. Even the 2021 bottling of Dickel BiB that just came out and is less good than the last two.

I’d also pick the following bottles with similar flavor/nose profiles over it too:

Obtanium Light Whiskey
McKenna 10
Angel’s Envy
Larceny
Woodford Double Oaked

It’s just not enough of my taste to justify a purchase for me over lots of other things. If you like a little BiB but wish it was spicier and more orangey then it might be for you.

Thanks. I’ll get BiB instead. It’s all over the place here. Not hard to find.

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/glenmorangie/glenmorangie-the-quinta-ruban-14-year-old-whisky/

Be the change you want to see.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Oh, man, I forgot about this thread.

So I moved back in with my parents to save some money because of this pandemic. This has had the fortunate side bonus of extra spending money, which I've decided to put into whisky.

I also decided to spend some of that effort into exploring home-grown Canadian whisky. Unfortunately, due to health issues, I haven't been able to drink as much as I'd like to, but I have had a few bottles and would like to share my opinion, plus the price in Canadian dollars per 750mL bottle:

Canadian Club 100% Rye - $30.45 - a surprisingly rye whisky from otherwise-OK Canadian Club. It has a nice richness that balances out the spiciness well, and even if you're not a fan, that spiciness mixes well with either cola or ginger ale.

Lot No. 40 Single Copper Pot Still Rye Whisky - $39.95 - Pretty much what I expected from rye whisky, but honestly, I like a rich flavour and this left me somewhat empty. Very similar to the Canadian Club above, but I think the CC edges it out in terms of body and flavour. Which is a shame since it's almost $10 cheaper.

Wayne Gretzky Maple Cask Finish Canadian Whisky - $34.95 - I got this one for free at work somehow, and I'm glad I didn't pay because it's just way too sweet. Partially aged in barrels that once held maple syrup really push it over the edge into syrupy territory for me. Not quite as bad as all of those flavoured whiskies they sell these days, but if you know someone who likes it sweet, this is the bottle for you. Otherwise, I'd skip it. Even for the price, it doesn't mix well.

Forty Creek Double Barrel Reserve Whisky - $39.95 - If I had to define what a standard "Canadian whisky" tastes like, this is it. It's not a bad drink, necessarily, but it lacks the character that a better whisky has, and just tastes OK. It's drinkable, but generic is the best way I can describe it.

Good thing about Canadian whisky is that even if it's awful, it usually works well as a mixer with either Coke or ginger ale (maple cask notwithstanding). I have a few more I'm working on right now, including the basic Wayne Gretzky Red Cask and Forty Creek Three Grain, but I've been letting those sit before I reach a proper conclusion.

I should say that I consider Crown Royal Northern Harvest the gold standard when it comes to Canadian whisky, because it has the perfect balance between richness, spiciness from rye, and costing only $37.95 per bottle. There may be better Canadian whisky than it, but a lot of the better bottles cost more than that.

For example, I've mentioned Wayne Gretzky whisky at least twice, and his whisky doesn't really rely on a mash bill, but I think it really would've helped balance out the maple cask. On the other hand, I've tried his Ice Wine Cask a couple of years ago, and I enjoyed it because it's a rare gimmick. Not necessarily worth it for $59.95 per bottle, but I can think of worse bottles to sample if you want something different.

I'm also happy to take suggestions and recommendations if you have any. There are a number of others I've had, but not all that recently so I'd have to search my memory for how I liked them.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I think the Pendleton 1910 is a fantastic Canadian whiskey. Lots of cherry on the palate and holds up equally well as an affordable sipper or mixer in a Manhattan.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The places around here have the 12 still, so I think I’ll buy a bottle then do and comparison when the 14 becomes available.

Also, on an embarrassing note, I found out yesterday that I’ve never had Glenfiddich! The buddy who shared what I thought was Glenfiddich actually drinks Jameson, so I think I’ll pick up a small bottle a give it a shot.

coiol
Dec 16, 2004

I dress like a girl and drink like a man. Please date-rape me.
On Canadian whisky, I recently finished off a bottle of Gooderham & Worts that I'd had sitting around for a while, and it was perfectly drinkable neat. I thought it was a decent mix of spicy and sweet with the four grains, and a bit higher proof than a lot of Canadians that are right at 80 proof.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Professor Shark posted:

The places around here have the 12 still, so I think I’ll buy a bottle then do and comparison when the 14 becomes available.

Also, on an embarrassing note, I found out yesterday that I’ve never had Glenfiddich! The buddy who shared what I thought was Glenfiddich actually drinks Jameson, so I think I’ll pick up a small bottle a give it a shot.

That's exactly what I did about a month ago. It's pretty solid. I doubt I'd buy a full bottle, but I can definitely see myself ordering it in a bar that has a slim scotch selection and being happy.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
The lockdown had me looking for new hobbies, and I found that getting into whisky drinking (I never liked hard liquor before, but found out that that was because I drank bad stuff in large quantities) let me combine my long lost hobby of drinking alcohol with my new hobby of drinking decently good alcohol in small amounts because I'm not 20 anymore.

So far I've got a bottle of Macallan 12 and Glenlivet 12, and they've actually been fun to drink. Oban 14 is next on the list, but I try not to buy too many bottles. Well anyway I'm gonna be following this thread and using it for recommends now, peace

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Bought Dad a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch for Father’s Day. He knows I bought it and why, but there were 26 fully vaccinated adults drunk in my house a few hours ago because we had a keg and champagne to celebrate my parents’ 50th anniversary. Dry-rub ribs and fixins from Wolf River bbq and the young ones stayed outside or in my room playing OG Sonic the Hedgehog and Castlevania on my old PC. Folks finally sobered enough to drive, but the bourbon is for me & Dad tomorrow. My brother doesn’t feel left out because he refuses hard liquor of all kinds. I got a card today from my son and his gal, along with the 10 month old puppy’s paw print. Today was nice all around, and I bought a Star Wars fighter-sim for 79% off to download and play later. With a finger-or-four of un-taxed Applejack and maybe beans to eat during cutscenes 😝

Carillon
May 9, 2014

So I was watching the Mummy (best version with Brendan Fraser) set in 1928 and they talk about a Glenlivet 12 year. I was curious both if Glenlivet even was putting age statements on their bottles back then, and where I might find out more about what historical products they were actually putting out in '28.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
First place I'd try is the "contact us" link on Glenlivets website.

They do have this story about an old bottle someone found that's dated to between 1908 and the 1930s - I don't see an age statement on the label. Glenlivet Mystery Bottle

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

tokenbrownguy posted:

If available in your area, Carriage House Apple Brandy is delicious.
https://www.thecovesnc.com/carolina-distillery-generations-tasty-brandy/

Fair warning, in my experience people who drink cheap whiskey do not want and often will not drink better booze.

Testro
May 2, 2009
To tie those two posts together, Glenlivet 12 is a nice, fruity whisky.

It reminds me of apples, and it's always a roaring success when I give it to new whisky drinkers.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Glenlivet 12 definitely hit the right mark for me! It's very easy to drink compared to some of the more peaty stuff

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I bought a small bottle of Glenfiddich 12. My initial thoughts are that while I can certainly get that pear note loud and clear, especially on the palate, it is lacking in brashness compared to the Glenmorangie 10.

Were I to go with the larger bottle (1140ml), the price difference between ‘’fiddich and ‘morangie is $5 versus $5.14 for my standard 60ml pour.

I think on Wednesday I’ll do a side-by-side. The liquor store closest to me does not stock the larger ‘fiddich bottle, so the battle for my Working Scotch may come down to convenience.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
My friend works at a tequila/mezcal bar and she let me try this Mexican whiskey called Abasolo and I really enjoyed it. Its a corn whiskey so its pretty much bourbon. It’s super sweet and delicious and a really easy drink. I recommend it fully.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Someone mentioned some scotches for bourbon drinkers earlier in the thread and I can't find what was recommended.

So what scotches should I look at as a bourbon drinker? I like the spicier/high rye bourbon more than wheated, but don't have a very broad palate/experience.

coiol
Dec 16, 2004

I dress like a girl and drink like a man. Please date-rape me.
Do any of you use an app for tracking tasting notes etc.? I'm finding it hard to remember anything more than a vague "didn't like it/liked it/really liked it" for whiskies I've tried in the past, especially when I try a few at a bar. It looks like there are a lot of similar apps and I don't mind paying :10bux: for one that's easier to use.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Wacky Delly posted:

Someone mentioned some scotches for bourbon drinkers earlier in the thread and I can't find what was recommended.

So what scotches should I look at as a bourbon drinker? I like the spicier/high rye bourbon more than wheated, but don't have a very broad palate/experience.

Probably start with lighter speysiders like Glenlivet or Glenfiddich. Or you could just say gently caress it and get a bottle of Laphroaig 10.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Wacky Delly posted:

As a bourbon drinker I like the smoky or medicinal scotches, like Lagavulin or Laphroaig. But I also like Oban 14 which is not. Most of them taste kind of thin to me.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Memnaelar posted:

I think the Pendleton 1910 is a fantastic Canadian whiskey. Lots of cherry on the palate and holds up equally well as an affordable sipper or mixer in a Manhattan.

Sounds good, but seems to be missing from the LCBO. Closest I can find is a Welsh whisky called Penderyn.

coiol posted:

On Canadian whisky, I recently finished off a bottle of Gooderham & Worts that I'd had sitting around for a while, and it was perfectly drinkable neat. I thought it was a decent mix of spicy and sweet with the four grains, and a bit higher proof than a lot of Canadians that are right at 80 proof.

This, meanwhile, is available. I'll have to try to track it down. Also, it's only $39.95.

Two new reviews:

Forty Creek Three Grain Whisky - $59.95 - Definitely a step up to the Double Barrel I mentioned earlier. For an extra $20, you get a perfectly serviceable sipping whisky. Rich, mildly sweet and slightly spicy, but it did have an odd taste I couldn't quite pin down. Not bad, just odd. Might've been the batch I had, because it's a whisky supposedly made from their original recipe. At least, that's how I understood it. Still doesn't beat their Copper Pot in my eyes for best low/mid-range Forty Creek.

Wayne Gretzky Red Cask Whisky - $34.95 - Gimmicky in the sense that he also owns a vineyard, so I just assume they use those same barrels to make his base-level whisky. Still, not a bad way to smoothen out the edges on what's otherwise a standard whisky. Not nearly as oaky as any base single malt scotch, but there is at least some there. Don't recommend it for that price, though. Feels sacrilegious to say since I'm living in his hometown again, but: you can do better.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

mojo1701a posted:

Wayne Gretzky Red Cask Whisky - $34.95 - Gimmicky in the sense that he also owns a vineyard, so I just assume they use those same barrels to make his base-level whisky. Still, not a bad way to smoothen out the edges on what's otherwise a standard whisky. Not nearly as oaky as any base single malt scotch, but there is at least some there. Don't recommend it for that price, though. Feels sacrilegious to say since I'm living in his hometown again, but: you can do better.

Also missed a big opportunity to make it 99 proof.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I'm pretty much a wheated bourbon drinker and could never stand scotch. I don't want to completely write them off, so are there any I should try that are milder?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

GD_American posted:

I'm pretty much a wheated bourbon drinker and could never stand scotch. I don't want to completely write them off, so are there any I should try that are milder?

Is there any particular flavor you don't like in the scotches you've had?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Casu Marzu posted:

Is there any particular flavor you don't like in the scotches you've had?

They just all taste like Pine-Sol to me. I've largely avoided them over the years (I dislike gin for similar reasons), occasionally trying a sip to see if it changed. I tried some Lagavulin 16 when a friend ordered it, no better.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Stultus Maximus posted:

Also missed a big opportunity to make it 99 proof.

Oh, he has one of those, too: https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/lcbo/wayne-gretzky-ninety-nine-proof-whisky-570101

Incidentally not only is it 99 proof, it also costs $99.

I'll give it a shot some day if I feel like putting in the effort of having it shipped to one of the LCBO's near me. Ironically, it is not available in the town that has his name almost everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

GD_American posted:

They just all taste like Pine-Sol to me. I've largely avoided them over the years (I dislike gin for similar reasons), occasionally trying a sip to see if it changed. I tried some Lagavulin 16 when a friend ordered it, no better.

Hm, not sure I've ever gotten that from scotch before.

If you wanted to try something that would be a good transition from something like a wheater, maybe Aberlour 12 or something. It's aged in bourbon and sherry barrels and it's got a softer, sweeter note which kinda reminds me of the sweeter side of wheaters.

I also thought the Glenfiddich Bourbon Barrel Reserve was pretty similar to bourbon.

Maybe Balvenie Caribbean Cask, it's kinda got the sweeter, brown sugary, rum/bourbon type thing going on too.