Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Can't wait for the first EBS warning telling people to not go outside due to "lethal" temperatures.

...and then people in that part of CA doing it anyway because "GUBBERMINT AIN'T TELLIN' ME WHAT T'DO."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Kazinsal posted:

A former house. Thoroughly former, in fact.

I was afraid of that :(

hobbesmaster posted:

Its what happens to a house when hit by an EF4 tornado.

poo poo, I hadn't heard it was that beefy. (I actually haven't seen as much info about it as I would have expected . . . but work was a dumpster fire today so maybe I just didn't have time to pay attention)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Zarin posted:

I was afraid of that :(

poo poo, I hadn't heard it was that beefy. (I actually haven't seen as much info about it as I would have expected . . . but work was a dumpster fire today so maybe I just didn't have time to pay attention)

That appears to be a degree of damage consistent with an EF4. They'd need to find 3 other locations with EF4 damage to actually declare it an EF4. It could be EF3 if theres a bathroom still standing in that mess but I doubt it...

EF scale is done via damage, theres indicators listed here: https://www.weather.gov/oun/tornadodata-okc-appendix
The specific page for a single family house: https://www.spc.noaa.gov/efscale/2.html
That'd appear to be all walls down which would be a 9 in degrees of damage representing a wind speed somewhere between 142 and 198 (expected 170). EF3/4 cutoff is 166 so I'm guessing EF4 damage.

hobbesmaster has issued a correction as of 23:10 on Jun 21, 2021

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

My son is also named Hurricane Bort

that's also my name :wth:

VectorSigma posted:

it's actually happening

lol

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzLhXesNkCI

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

hobbesmaster posted:

That appears to be a degree of damage consistent with an EF4. They'd need to find 3 other locations with EF4 damage to actually declare it an EF4. It could be EF3 if theres a bathroom still standing in that mess but I doubt it...

EF scale is done via damage, theres indicators listed here: https://www.weather.gov/oun/tornadodata-okc-appendix
The specific page for a single family house: https://www.spc.noaa.gov/efscale/2.html
That'd appear to be all walls down which would be a 9 in degrees of damage representing a wind speed somewhere between 142 and 198 (expected 170). EF3/4 cutoff is 166 so I'm guessing EF4 damage.

Interesting, thanks for that!

I just moved into a 4-story apartment building that appears to be made out of steel and concrete with brick cladding . . . that's only 40 miles North/Northeast of this one . . . and doesn't have a basement . . .

I slept pretty easy last night because I figured this is a more substantial building than anything I've ever lived in before, but looking at 7 and 17, "complete destruction of all or part of the building" happens at a lower expected windspeed than a SFH slab being scoured clean :ohdear:

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Can't wait for the first EBS warning telling people to not go outside due to "lethal" temperatures.

...and then people in that part of CA doing it anyway because "GUBBERMINT AIN'T TELLIN' ME WHAT T'DO."

...has the EAS ever been activated for excessive heat? I can certainly imagine it being activated for an event like that.

It doesn't look like it's on the list of the approved NWS codes.

Wudz
Aug 19, 2005

*LATEST FAD
Maybe a Special Weather Statement? Weren't there Inclement Weather Warnings for some of the super cold snaps a few years ago?

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Okay, I think im crack pinged now

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That's the equivalent of those same models showing monster Cat 5s just going buck wild and doing donuts over the east coast on some runs

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Luneshot posted:

...has the EAS ever been activated for excessive heat? I can certainly imagine it being activated for an event like that.

It doesn't look like it's on the list of the approved NWS codes.

Nope

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

That's the equivalent of those same models showing monster Cat 5s just going buck wild and doing donuts over the east coast on some runs

usually GFS and euro don’t agree with crazy stuff like that

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Zarin posted:

I just moved into a 4-story apartment building that appears to be made out of steel and concrete with brick cladding . . . that's only 40 miles North/Northeast of this one . . . and doesn't have a basement . . .

I slept pretty easy last night because I figured this is a more substantial building than anything I've ever lived in before, but looking at 7 and 17, "complete destruction of all or part of the building" happens at a lower expected windspeed than a SFH slab being scoured clean :ohdear:

scouring the pad clean is actually extremely difficult if you think about it, it’s way harder than “destruction” of all or part of the building.

if you really want to wonder about something check out the indicators for a high rise building. it goes up to “significant deformation” as the highest indicator which is winds up to 290mph.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

Oh yeah, I don't trust anything that far out and I don't expect it to actually happen. It's an interesting edge case which will hopefully be helpful for future refinements of the models, but it catches our attention because both major forecast models agree and the implications if it was an accurate forecast would be very scary.

Any model should be viewed with suspicion when dealing with the extremely complex and dynamic environments of tropical cyclones, but it's not like this is the only example of models doing non-hurricane weird poo poo at >200hrs either.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

"these readings... they can't be correct"

*shoving papers aside, frantically looking between monitors, creeping instrumentals becoming louder*

"all of the models... they're giving the same readings?? there has to be a miscalculation here"

*music stops, dramatic pause as main character looks into camera*

"unless..."

*theme music, title sequence*

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Luneshot posted:

Oh yeah, I don't trust anything that far out and I don't expect it to actually happen. It's an interesting edge case which will hopefully be helpful for future refinements of the models, but it catches our attention because both major forecast models agree and the implications if it was an accurate forecast would be very scary.

Any model should be viewed with suspicion when dealing with the extremely complex and dynamic environments of tropical cyclones, but it's not like this is the only example of models doing non-hurricane weird poo poo at >200hrs either.

this is only 7 days out though, models are generally much better starting around then. still, the absolute temps shouldn’t be taken as gospel.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Enjoy 185 degrees, Californailures!

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Zarin posted:

As someone who's lived here forever you'll be fine. As of now nobody even died in last night's storm.

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hobbesmaster posted:

usually GFS and euro don’t agree with crazy stuff like that

Yeah having the major models agree on a forecast like this is uh, *tugs collar*

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

The thermometer says... 3.6 Roentgen... hmm.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Source4Leko posted:

As someone who's lived here forever you'll be fine. As of now nobody even died in last night's storm.

Heh, thanks! I moved up from downstate though, so I'm plenty familiar with the topic. And, truth be told, my house down there wasn't really great from a tornado-defense perspective either (only half the "basement" was underground, windows everywhere).

The only thing that's really odd for me here is that with all the buildings, I'd have no hope of seeing if anything was coming (if it even came from my side of the building; I only have windows on the South and West walls)

I wandered through the stairwell and looked at the balconies; there is a lot of steel and concrete in those places, and the beams sticking out of the wall supporting the balcony are pretty thick steel C-channel, so I'd suspect that's what the rest of the floors are supported with.

So, yeah, probably fine, but maybe I was marginally too cavalier last night. :shrug:

Edit: I should really get better about learning where a good place for up-to-date radar is, and better practice at reading it

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Death Valley II

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'm sure the inevitable flight of climate refugees from California, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas will be managed well and fairly by the Federal Govhahahahahahhahahahasdhjsdfhsdfjsfhsdhahhahsahahaha.

Looking forward to millions of displaced red-staters being "persuaded" to relocate into blue bastions, too.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm sure the inevitable flight of climate refugees from California, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas will be managed well and fairly by the Federal Govhahahahahahhahahahasdhjsdfhsdfjsfhsdhahhahsahahaha.

The government will unite the American people into a nationalist fascist unity when people from Africa, the Middle East and South American flee to America/Europe for nefarious reasons like not wanting to loving die to famine.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
The state of Jefferson welcomes all.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I checked back on that thread and a couple things caught my eye:

https://twitter.com/bradwxnorcal/status/1406301088446238721?s=21

Also, apparently some people don’t trust the 06z or 18z runs?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
One of the runs is now claiming 108-110 F in the Vancouver, BC area which would utterly obliterate our previous heat records by 10-12 degrees F. Numbers hold similarly throughout the BC interior, which is terrifying because the interior is primarily old growth forest aka several hundred thousand square kilometres of not-yet-realized wildfires.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
every single tree will burn until there are none left

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Maybe I'm wrong, but my gut reaction is that most records get beat a bit at a time, not just completely btfo'd in a widespread, attention-grabbing way.

That is to say, the model is probably wrong. A couple of those spots might beat their high by 1-2 F, and will continue to do so over time in such a way that most people probably won't notice.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Zarin posted:

Maybe I'm wrong, but my gut reaction is that most records get beat a bit at a time, not just completely btfo'd in a widespread, attention-grabbing way.

That is to say, the model is probably wrong. A couple of those spots might beat their high by 1-2 F, and will continue to do so over time in such a way that most people probably won't notice.

God I hope this ends up being the the case, most of my friends don't have AC and/or work in places that aren't air conditioned or are outdoors and I'd really like it if the people I care about didn't all die of heat stroke

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Luneshot posted:

Also, apparently some people don’t trust the 06z or 18z runs?

That's old dumb thinking. People used to think that cause there was no new weather balloon data, the "off" runs were less accurate. To an extent, that was true decades ago. Now the difference is negligible. There is so much additional data that goes into models that the accuracy of the latest run vs the previous one is much larger than any difference between 00/12 and 06/18.

https://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/STATS_vsdb/longterm/

Smarter meteorologists use ensemble data and don't rely on a single deterministic run. Ensembles extend the forecast accuracy by 1-2 days.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Zarin posted:

Two years ago some heat records were broken in Europe by more than 3°C, so it happened before.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
The GFS and EPS ensemble mean of 850 mb temp anomalies is +15C in just five days. This isn't an issue with one model spitting out bad data. Normal for late June around the PacNW is 20-25C, so forecast is say 35C at 850. That mixes down to a surface temp of roughly 115-120F. That's right inline with the forecast inland temps (like Spokane). Of course it'll be cooler on the coast but all-time records definitely possible.

Even the NWS Spokane office is saying this is a Big Deal.

https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/getprod.php?new&prod=XXXAFDOTX&wfo=otx

Only registered members can see post attachments!

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I see you, idiot disc golfers: https://twitter.com/NWS_BaltWash/status/1407318302733615104?s=19

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

seems like running for cover is actually deadly by that chart

lmao 37 deaths in 14 years? this is america honey.

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SirPablo posted:

The GFS and EPS ensemble mean of 850 mb temp anomalies is +15C in just five days. This isn't an issue with one model spitting out bad data. Normal for late June around the PacNW is 20-25C, so forecast is say 35C at 850. That mixes down to a surface temp of roughly 115-120F. That's right inline with the forecast inland temps (like Spokane). Of course it'll be cooler on the coast but all-time records definitely possible.

Even the NWS Spokane office is saying this is a Big Deal.

https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/getprod.php?new&prod=XXXAFDOTX&wfo=otx

I'm Climate Proof Duluth sitting pretty in totally average temperatures

E: that url is boned

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/ai6yrham/status/1407323675565510662

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
100-105 isn't apocalyptic if it's a dry heat, I wonder if Portland is near enough to the ocean to get some humidity, though. Since it's on the West side of the mountains I'm guessing it's probably not looking so good.

Wet bulb event in Portland lol

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

OK baizuo posted:

100-105 isn't apocalyptic if it's a dry heat, I wonder if Portland is near enough to the ocean to get some humidity, though. Since it's on the West side of the mountains I'm guessing it's probably not looking so good.

Wet bulb event in Portland lol

it was a big problem last heat wave because a ton of the homes there dont have any AC, people dont even have window units

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coke
Jul 12, 2009
and the houses are probably old and lovely with no good insulation while solely relying on constant heating in the winter to not freeze to death

which is going to be really bad with the heatwave

:rip: