Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Pyrtanis posted:

rear end end of my cycle and it was a doozy. I'm about a year in on my Mirena, but it was the scene from the shining a couple days and the pms rage was so real

I wish there was a way we could inflict this on our non afab partners so they would appreciate our restraint

Subjecting them to our rage and using their underwear as pads would be a close approximation, as long as they’re willing to accept the conceit that we’re expressing a force of nature and not just spiting them. Just wish there was a non-violent way to punch them right in the nads every couple of hours (as a public service for their education, mind you)

Why yes I HAVE been having a heavy period my first week at a new job while we’ve been adjusting to an opposite schedule, why do you ask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Need some advice on the current state of my blood-flood if anyone might have suggestions for home remedies.

Brutal overshare incoming:
I'm 34 and my periods have been fairly infrequent since I had my Jaydess IUD removed a couple years ago. Before I got the IUD, my periods were regular, like clockwork, but would be incredibly painful and heavy, especially on Day 1, eventually tapering off to a light flow with no discomfort by Day 3. Since the IUD was taken out though, there could be weeks where all I'll see is maybe 3 or 4 days of light spotting then nothing until the next month, or weeks where there's a heavy flow that abruptly stops. This month is a loving doozie though: Since Friday night it's been a constant stream that completely saturates the pad from top to bottom within 2 or 3 hours, it's not slowing down at night, I was crippled all day Saturday with stabbing pains in my lower abdomen that haven't been this unbearable since I was in my early 20's, and the clots are the largest I've ever seen in my loving life.

My husband keeps telling me to call a doctor about it because it's clearly not loving normal, but I have a hunch that my weight (I'm not small but I wouldn't say I'm huge by any means either) will be used as a hand-wave excuse by the doctor for why it's happening and I'll be told to just deal with it until I'm not fat anymore.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I came very, very, very, very, VERY close to leaking in light grey sweatpants on a 5-hour plane ride. :sweatdrop:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Need some advice on the current state of my blood-flood if anyone might have suggestions for home remedies.

I'm 34 and my periods have been fairly infrequent since I had my Jaydess IUD removed a couple years ago. Before I got the IUD, my periods were regular, like clockwork, but would be incredibly painful and heavy, especially on Day 1, eventually tapering off to a light flow with no discomfort by Day 3. Since the IUD was taken out though, there could be weeks where all I'll see is maybe 3 or 4 days of light spotting then nothing until the next month, or weeks where there's a heavy flow that abruptly stops. This month is a loving doozie though: Since Friday night it's been a constant stream that completely saturates the pad from top to bottom within 2 or 3 hours, it's not slowing down at night, I was crippled all day Saturday with stabbing pains in my lower abdomen that haven't been this unbearable since I was in my early 20's, and the clots are the largest I've ever seen in my loving life.

My husband keeps telling me to call a doctor about it because it's clearly not loving normal, but I have a hunch that my weight (I'm not small but I wouldn't say I'm huge by any means either) will be used as a hand-wave excuse by the doctor for why it's happening and I'll be told to just deal with it until I'm not fat anymore.

If you’ve been completely saturating that many pads for that long, I would immediately see a doctor. Possibly even the ER.

Call a nurse triage line immediately and see what they tell you to do.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 21, 2021

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

I'm 34 and my periods have been fairly infrequent since I had my Jaydess IUD removed a couple years ago. Before I got the IUD, my periods were regular, like clockwork, but would be incredibly painful and heavy, especially on Day 1, eventually tapering off to a light flow with no discmfort by Day 3. Since the IUD was taken out though, there could be weeks where all I'll see is maybe 3 or 4 days of light spotting then nothing until the next month, or weeks where there's a heavy flow that abruptly stops. This month is a loving doozie though: Since Friday night it's been a constant stream that completely saturates the pad from top to bottom within 2 or 3 hours, it's not slowing down at night, I was crippled all day Saturday with stabbing pains in my lower abdomen that haven't been this unbearable since I was in my early 20's, and the clots are the largest I've ever seen in my loving life.

Is there anyway you could be miscarrying? This sounds almost exactly like what happened to me a few years back (I could soak a super pad/tampon in less than an hour, so heavier than yours, but huge clots), and the pains were small contractions...I was in ER for a few hours while they made sure I wasn't bleeding too much. Had a follow up to ensure a D&C wouldn't be needed.

I agree with your husband, call a doctor. At a minimum, you may want them to do a pregnancy test to check.

Edit: you may try urgent care too. Where I am, I walked in, told them what was wrong and they immediately just told me to go to ER, no charge, no nothing, just told me to go.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

hopeandjoy posted:

If you’ve been completely saturating that many pads for that long, I would immediately see a doctor. Possibly even the ER.
Yeah, seconding this.

This is clearly very abnormal for you I've had lovely heavy periods for literally the whole time - as in, 24-36 hours of constant bleed through of big pad plus tampon if not changed for 2-3 hours.
But this is my normal, and I feel fine for the rest of the month, so for some weird reason I'm not constantly anaemic.

This is Not Normal for you, so something has changed. Go talk to a not terrible doctor, if they tell you your periods will get less awful after you have kids then the are a de facto terrible doctor.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

I know the weight fear personally - call a doctor. Even if they blow you off, if something further happens, it’s on record. I know it’s opening yourself up to receiving some abhorrent behavior when it is literally the last thing that you want to deal with, but please go to the ER.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

This is what happened to me when I had a missed abortion and nearly bled to death because I was afraid the doctors would handwave my fears. Get to an ER.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

nthing go to a doctor. I had a friend who went through something similar and she had big growths in her uterus that had to be removed immediately.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Sorry for TOTALLY ignoring this post to reply with my first world almost-problems, lol -- I didn't realize the overshare was this serious until seeing the responses. :stare: Umpteenth-ing "go to a doctor". Are there any female obgyns in your area? I feel like they would be less likely to assume your weight was the problem right off the bat.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Called the local out-of-hours emergency doctor after all the responses on here. Went to see their doctor who checked my heart rate, blood pressure and abdomen. Everything was normal; heart rate wasn't fast, blood pressure wasn't low, nothing seemed outwardly abnormal aside from the whole blood thing. So he gave me a prescription for tranexamic acid to help slow down the blood flow some and has recommended I schedule a pelvic ultrasound ASAP especially since I mentioned that a previous pelvic ultrasound in 2018 detected a small (less than 1cm in size) cyst on one of my ovaries which the doctors chose to ignore back then.

Nevertheless, I'm gonna call my regular doctor tomorrow to book an ultrasound and take it easy until then. Thanks everyone for pushing me to get this looked at; I'll keep the thread updated on what comes of it.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Called the local out-of-hours emergency doctor after all the responses on here. Went to see their doctor who checked my heart rate, blood pressure and abdomen. Everything was normal; heart rate wasn't fast, blood pressure wasn't low, nothing seemed outwardly abnormal aside from the whole blood thing. So he gave me a prescription for tranexamic acid to help slow down the blood flow some and has recommended I schedule a pelvic ultrasound ASAP especially since I mentioned that a previous pelvic ultrasound in 2018 detected a small (less than 1cm in size) cyst on one of my ovaries which the doctors chose to ignore back then.

Nevertheless, I'm gonna call my regular doctor tomorrow to book an ultrasound and take it easy until then. Thanks everyone for pushing me to get this looked at; I'll keep the thread updated on what comes of it.

I hope it's nothing serious and that you're doing much better very soon.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Pookah posted:

Yeah, seconding this.

This is clearly very abnormal for you I've had lovely heavy periods for literally the whole time - as in, 24-36 hours of constant bleed through of big pad plus tampon if not changed for 2-3 hours.
But this is my normal, and I feel fine for the rest of the month, so for some weird reason I'm not constantly anaemic.

This is Not Normal for you, so something has changed. Go talk to a not terrible doctor, if they tell you your periods will get less awful after you have kids then the are a de facto terrible doctor.

The ER people weren't very concerned about me (because I walked in and was lucid enough to put together a sentence in Spanish to other people in the waiting room) until they took my blood pressure and then immediately did a blood draw so I could get a transfusion as quickly as possible.
The transfusion folks said there wasn't anything wrong; I was "not at all anemic, what are you on about?"
The bone marrow of women is very, very adept at getting new red blood cells up and out and mine seem to have gone :siren: this is not a drill! repeat, this is not a drill! move! move! move! :siren: and were churning out red blood cells so fast that even with dangerously low blood-pressure and having lost a remarkable volume of blood, I was still not anemic. My one superpower and it's only useful under a specific set of circumstances.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

xcheopis posted:

The ER people weren't very concerned about me (because I walked in and was lucid enough to put together a sentence in Spanish to other people in the waiting room) until they took my blood pressure and then immediately did a blood draw so I could get a transfusion as quickly as possible.
The transfusion folks said there wasn't anything wrong; I was "not at all anemic, what are you on about?"
The bone marrow of women is very, very adept at getting new red blood cells up and out and mine seem to have gone :siren: this is not a drill! repeat, this is not a drill! move! move! move! :siren: and were churning out red blood cells so fast that even with dangerously low blood-pressure and having lost a remarkable volume of blood, I was still not anemic. My one superpower and it's only useful under a specific set of circumstances.

The same thing saved my mom from dying of a GI bleed last year. She got up one day and saw blood in the toilet but didn't panic for a week until she remembered 'oh yeah, i'm post menopausal, that's blood from my rear end!' Or w/e.

They were surprised she was conscious her blood pressure was so low. They had to give her 1/4 the transfusion they wanted to because her iron was so high. Just monitored her until bp was safe to release.

Then her iron crashed and she had to get injections of some poo poo to get iron back into her.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

xcheopis posted:

I will definitely bear this in mind and keep checking my blood pressure next time it all kicks off - thanks very much for the warning :)

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Pookah posted:

I will definitely bear this in mind and keep checking my blood pressure next time it all kicks off - thanks very much for the warning :)

I still had to have a d&c but also recovered pretty quickly from the ordeal. A day of bed rest and everything went back to normal. Always "exciting" to learn physiology during a medical crisis! :buddy:

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Glad to see you went to the doctor. I thought of you today and I'm relieved to read that wasn't an emergency and you're getting a follow up ultrasound. Let us know how your ultrasound goes.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Is there any way, short of a pelvic cleanout, to just be done with periods? I keep reading about the Mirena (not the bc pill) uterine ablation poo poo but reviews are mixed.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I never lost my period with the Mirena. It made it lighter but it did increase my cramps and I got two massive ovarian cysts with it. However I feel like my experience with it isn't super common; most of my cis hetero/bi lady friends who have one love it and haven't had periods.

I got mine removed on Thursday since I'm primarily sexually active with women at this time but I did go ahead with trying the nuvaring to still be on the safe side incase I get an urge for some dick. The pill makes my anxiety so much worse - I had a huge meltdown the last time I was on it to help control my cysty ovaries and it was pretty awful.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
My gyno insists I need my Mirena to control my endometriosis but I don't even believe her anymore. I'm so tired and I just want to stop.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Mirena didn’t stop my periods, nothing has. I have heard many women do lose their periods though.

I am off hormonal contraceptives now because post-kids I can’t tolerate them any more. Would rather be a mum who doesn’t have catastrophic mood swings and depression.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Nexplanon is what mostly stopped my periods. I still get random spotting off and on for 3-4 months when it's close to the removal date, but for the rest of the time I got nothing. I've always been a little too skittish to try an IUD, so I can't speak for how my body would react to mirena though.

I think with most birth control though, there's always a YMMV caveat. People react to stuff in so many different ways that I don't know of any universal or near universal period stopper aside from ripping the whole uterus out.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
Mirena-haver reporting in! I went from a copper IUD which was hell for me to a Mirena, and after a couple months my period all but disappeared. If I'm super stressed out I'll have some bleeding but otherwise it's a pretty smooth ride thus far, and I'm 2 years in. I have noticed an uptick in the kind of pain I had when I had to go to the ER for an ovarian cyst. Fun story time: A male ER doc palpated my abdomen so hard HE BROKE IT. The CT showed loose fluid and a ruptured cyst afterwards, gg dude

re: endometrial ablation typically it's only done when the insurance is tired of paying for transfusion and other costs associated with your brood organ leaving the tap running constantly. However it's fallen out of favor because the uterus is a hellbeast that refuses to stop bleeding and apparently continues to do so underneath the scar layer put down by the ablation procedure? I used to do transcription and typed a lot of NovaSure procedures.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Wow thank you period for coming two days early and messing up my plaaaans.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I remember as a kid, thinking that since this period blood came from the same place as your pee, women who wore tampons or pads didn't have enough time just to sit and pee/bleed it all out at once. I wondered how long it would take, if you could train yourself to just have it all come out in a few minutes, or an hour?

Ah, memories.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Man, my period finally came after being massively delayed. Won't affect my wedding now, thankfully, unless I get two week hell period again.

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .
I've successfully banished my period for 13 years using continual birth control. When I first started, they told me any spotting meant your body needed to have a period. THIS IS A LIE. I just kept taking the pills and after 6 weeks the spotting dwindled out to nothing. Eventually I started switching pills to progressively lower estrogen and for the past 7 years have been on Lo Loestrin with zero side effects. It doesn't work for everyone, but the idea of an endometrial ablation scared me and going on the pill knocked out my hormonal depression. It still rustles my jimmies when I hear friends and acquaintances being told they need to have periods, or that light spotting means continual BC won't work for them. Shutting down the pipes was the best thing I've ever done for myself.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Oh hey you managed to banish the thrush or bv or whatever that's been dogging you for at least a month, you actually feel good and had sex once?

Time to give you a FULL PERIOD 8 DAYS EARLY! Yay! BTW, this will happen every time you have sex, enjoy! (btwbtw, you'll still get your regular period in 8 days probably!)

I swear I am gonna cut this nexaplanon stick out with a razorblade. I can't stand this poo poo anymore.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Got an appointment date for a pelvic ultrasound for late July to get the recent ‘massive blood flood’ thing checked out. Will update the thread with how traumatisingly uncomfortable the procedure will be.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

I got my second vaccine today. They say not to take pain meds beforehand and I have Killer Cramps From Outer Space so was in a world of hurt. The nurse who poked me said to go home and take some Advil so I wouldn't have to celebrate with cramps, which was so nice to hear because AHHHHHHHHH

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Got an appointment date for a pelvic ultrasound for late July to get the recent ‘massive blood flood’ thing checked out. Will update the thread with how traumatisingly uncomfortable the procedure will be.

I hope that it was a fluke and that all is well. :)

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Man I had one of those days where I could barely move. Went for a walk with bf and could barely keep up, when I normally walk faster than he does. It's amazing how much better I feel after a packet of fizzy sweets and a liter of diet coke though.

I'm gonna contact the clinic next week about getting this thing removed and probably try a pill or something. It's a shame, it promised so much and I liked the ease of it...

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Metaline posted:

I got my second vaccine today. They say not to take pain meds beforehand and I have Killer Cramps From Outer Space so was in a world of hurt. The nurse who poked me said to go home and take some Advil so I wouldn't have to celebrate with cramps, which was so nice to hear because AHHHHHHHHH
Oof, I feel ya, my first shot ended up being on the same day as a migraine :negative:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

My first dose (Pfizer) gave me a very mild migraine-y headache. I don't normally get headaches when I get migraines, just nausea, aura, light sensitivity, cold hands, etc, so even a slight migraine headache is unusual for me. I assume it was the vaccine because its so unusual for me and it lined up perfectly, timewise.

Got my second dose next Tuesday and I am loving delighted :D

Pookah fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 2, 2021

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done
Semi period-related vaccine chat: about 30 hours after moderna #1 my husband and I got high fever and chills within an hour of each other, lasted maybe 8 hours and then we were fine. #2 gave my husband similar symptoms, but I experienced no side effects at all ... Until my period came 2 weeks early and lingered until my next nuvaring. Obviously I have no proof that the vaccine caused it, but I've been on nuvaring for 3 years and my period has been like clockwork with no spotting, cramps, or funny business from the first month I went on it (it's been awesome, actually). I had just started a new ring the day before we got #2. There were some women on Twitter taking about how the vaccine affected their cycles, but I don't recall if any of them mentioned it interfering with hormonal bc. :shrug:

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

cocoavalley posted:

Semi period-related vaccine chat: about 30 hours after moderna #1 my husband and I got high fever and chills within an hour of each other, lasted maybe 8 hours and then we were fine. #2 gave my husband similar symptoms, but I experienced no side effects at all ... Until my period came 2 weeks early and lingered until my next nuvaring. Obviously I have no proof that the vaccine caused it, but I've been on nuvaring for 3 years and my period has been like clockwork with no spotting, cramps, or funny business from the first month I went on it (it's been awesome, actually). I had just started a new ring the day before we got #2. There were some women on Twitter taking about how the vaccine affected their cycles, but I don't recall if any of them mentioned it interfering with hormonal bc. :shrug:

There's been a lot of anecdotal reports of the vaccine weirding periods. I got my first shot a few weeks ago and am having a normal period now. But I'm not on birth control at all, although I have even heard tell of post-menopausal women getting it.

And I've got a general question myself. While it isn't period related it is vagina related and I couldn't find any specific answers by Googling and I was hoping someone here has had a similar situation in here, the safest space of the GBS period thread:

I usually have a pretty healthy libido but for the last few months that well has run dry (lol). I was wondering what had changed and the only thing I can pin down is a few months ago I started taking a steroid nasal spray to deal with allergies (or something, I don't know exactly, the doctor just told me to use this over the phone after I described my symptoms). So has anyone else taken a steroid nose spray and got the old Ben Shapiro Special from it?

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Ralph Crammed In posted:

There's been a lot of anecdotal reports of the vaccine weirding periods. I got my first shot a few weeks ago and am having a normal period now. But I'm not on birth control at all, although I have even heard tell of post-menopausal women getting it.

And I've got a general question myself. While it isn't period related it is vagina related and I couldn't find any specific answers by Googling and I was hoping someone here has had a similar situation in here, the safest space of the GBS period thread:

I usually have a pretty healthy libido but for the last few months that well has run dry (lol). I was wondering what had changed and the only thing I can pin down is a few months ago I started taking a steroid nasal spray to deal with allergies (or something, I don't know exactly, the doctor just told me to use this over the phone after I described my symptoms). So has anyone else taken a steroid nose spray and got the old Ben Shapiro Special from it?

I know being under constant stress will make my libido only want to suck start a shotgun, sometimes the only way is to literally just plan sex, get the oxytocin going.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Sorry to be blunt but is your sex drive down, or are you having vaginal dryness? Cuz the second one could be caused by steroid use, though it's not super common, most people get a dry mouth or nose. (I work in a pharmacy but I am not a pharmacist or doctor)

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

HopperUK posted:

Sorry to be blunt but is your sex drive down, or are you having vaginal dryness? Cuz the second one could be caused by steroid use, though it's not super common, most people get a dry mouth or nose. (I work in a pharmacy but I am not a pharmacist or doctor)

No need to apologize about being blunt, I appreciate it. No it's just the libido is down. I did have sex this morning as a matter of fact and everything worked fine, it's just that I normally want to bone a few times week and lately unless my husband initiates nothing happens.

When I looked up "do steroids hurt your sex drive?" all the results were for men (surprise surprise) and nothing specific about nose sprays. I don't think it's that much steroid exposure compared to if I was ingesting them, but I hate calling the doctor about this sort of thing because there's a language barrier and it's very difficult for me to explain myself without sounding like an utter moron. I tried to stop taking the spray a few days ago but my symptoms came back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I got the J and J ten days ago and have been spotting ever since. It loving sucks because I'm traveling and have to be nonstop paranoid about staining my loved ones' linens, but I'm also weirdly nonstop horny????