Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

The Yamazaki sounded so good in the game I went looking for it but a bottle is hundreds of dollars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Roth posted:

I'm mostly doing the substories. I don't like the hostess minigame, and the rookie fighter stuff seems like a good way to get me to ragequit.

the rookie fighter thing isn't too bad so far, just kind of repetitive. i don't really know what i'm doing and my first guy is winning a ton.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

if they do a kiwami version of this game they'll replace the dudes with mesuking models though lol

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Nostradingus posted:

The Yamazaki sounded so good in the game I went looking for it but a bottle is hundreds of dollars

its really freaking good. but at that price it made me afraid to even drink it. the bottle lasted three years of very sporadic and judicious pours

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Heart going out to ppl playing Yakuza 4

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i keep waiting for the other shoe to drop because so far it's way better than 3

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Majima with two eyes

This game is hosed up and evil

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Bicyclops posted:

i keep waiting for the other shoe to drop because so far it's way better than 3

I think it's better than the non Okinawa parts of 3 but worse than the Okinawa parts. In my very humble opinion at least.
Okinawa was great. I just want a game where Kiryu lives a happy live running the orphanage and does no Yakuza poo poo whatsoever.

E: RE: Whisky talk. Yeah, I've been meaning to check out Ardbeg but I never had a bottle. Maybe I should find one I heard good things.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Nostradingus posted:

Yamazaki is really good but not worth the price you can get it for in the US.

Suntory makes a cheaper blended whisky called Toki just for the export market which is an ideal companion to Yakuza gaming imo. You won't see it in the game bc it's export only but you can compare it to Kakubin (which is in the game and is basically the standard whisky in every convenience store in Japan, but is Japanese-market-only). Toki is better and more expensive than Kakubin but it's still cheap enough to have as a highball/on the rocks while you punch guys in the face and eat 10 meals worth of food in a row

--

just did k2 ch12 and lol at kiryu's sad rain cutscene with him impotently clicking his lighter and lmao at having to fight a literal pair of tigers

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

finally cracked the top ten in the LAD business manager, it’s nice to actually have some real money

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Scythe posted:

Yamazaki is really good but not worth the price you can get it for in the US.

Suntory makes a cheaper blended whisky called Toki just for the export market which is an ideal companion to Yakuza gaming imo. You won't see it in the game bc it's export only but you can compare it to Kakubin (which is in the game and is basically the standard whisky in every convenience store in Japan, but is Japanese-market-only). Toki is better and more expensive than Kakubin but it's still cheap enough to have as a highball/on the rocks while you punch guys in the face and eat 10 meals worth of food in a row

Cool thanks, I've never had Japanese whisky so I might pick up a bottle of Toki to try it. Looks like they sell it at a few stores near me

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

RandolphCarter posted:

finally cracked the top ten in the LAD business manager, it’s nice to actually have some real money

I wish you could just automate that game. Because at that point you're pretty much too big to fail anymore.
I love that this game doesn't have any waiting, unlike the Real Estate in 0 but it can get real tedious.

Anyway, congrats, you're almost done!

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Speaking of drinking, in Y6 there's a bar where (minor substory content spoiler) there's an entire string of substories about becoming a regular and having drinking buddies! You go to the bar and chat up folks and increase your friendship meter with them, each one has a finale substory that's just navigating a bar conversation. I absolutely love it, but it's kind of a downer since it's a reminder that we still can't do that anymore

Played last night and noticed that at that bar in the background is some whiskey labeled "Terrified"

On the cusp of a major life event and staring down the barrel of an unknowable future? Reach for what speaks to you. Reach for Terrified Whiskey(tm)

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
That minigame owns. It’s just :3:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

if you ever get the chance to try a suntory it's 100% worth it btw, a different friend gave me a bottle of hibiki 12 for my wedding when you could still get it for less than 1000000000 dollars and man, let me tell you: it loving kicks rear end

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

at some point i have to get back to chicago to longman and eagle and just try a bunch of single glasses of the japanese whiskeys so i can tell which one is worth the price of a bottle.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

at some point i have to get back to chicago to longman and eagle and just try a bunch of single glasses of the japanese whiskeys so i can tell which one is worth the price of a bottle.

follow it up with a shiddy burger, obviously

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

follow it up with a shiddy burger, obviously

well. maybe if there are some traffic cones nearby......

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

IGgy IGsen posted:

I wish you could just automate that game. Because at that point you're pretty much too big to fail anymore.
I love that this game doesn't have any waiting, unlike the Real Estate in 0 but it can get real tedious.

Anyway, congrats, you're almost done!

My board consists of a guy named techno, a random salary man, a chimpanzee, and a literal child. Game rules

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
I wasn't really feeling Shinada, but I just unlocked chicken racing and I'm sold.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

RandolphCarter posted:

My board consists of a guy named techno, a random salary man, a chimpanzee, and a literal child. Game rules

I used the chicken from start to finish. I also used the child and the chimpanzee. I think the fourth one was some buff dude I found on the streets. Invincible team.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I have advanced far enough in Yakuza 7 (my first Yakuza game) to have played the "stay awake through a movie" minigame and, okay, it's got its hooks in me now.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
having a whale of a time with y6. what an incredible game. going to beat the main story faster than I thought but will definitely keep playing on premium adventure. Ive won pretty much every boss fight so far by picking up the biggest objects I can find lying around, holding left trigger and spamming heavy attacks until the enemy can't stand up anymore.

slightly worried that after this I only have judgment and like a dragon left but that is still a lot of gaming.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Cool thanks, I've never had Japanese whisky so I might pick up a bottle of Toki to try it. Looks like they sell it at a few stores near me

toki is very good. I snagged that and a bottle of nikka from the barrel last weekend and have been enjoying them

back on topic, I finally saw the little loading sprites of ichiban and nanaba lol

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
i mean toki's good but nikka from the barrel is fantastic. nikka > suntory generally imo

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol ichiban and nanba talking about dragon quest over sake while sitting on disgusting futons is incredibly heartwarming

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Can't stop doing these taxi missions

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

nikka from the barrel is extremely ftw if you can find it. amazing for the price

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

https://twitter.com/luulubuu/status/1406722381717151747?s=19

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

lmfao the sujimon quest

su…. ji…. mon…. sujimon

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Saejima's chapter in 5 loving rules holy poo poo. Just beat up a loving bear.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

right arm posted:

Lol ichiban and nanba talking about dragon quest over sake while sitting on disgusting futons is incredibly heartwarming

I love that the game is turn based because Ichiban is a dork who loves dragon quest and that’s just how he sees the world

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

RandolphCarter posted:

I love that the game is turn based because Ichiban is a dork who loves dragon quest and that’s just how he sees the world

It’s one of my favorite in-game explanations for mechanics in any game, ever.

Whiskey chat: I’m having a little Suntory Toki and it’s tasty. Not too expensive either.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

RandolphCarter posted:

Lol yes!! and the hero job or w/e and how it makes the bad guys change lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

NickRoweFillea posted:

It’s one of my favorite in-game explanations for mechanics in any game, ever.

i still love in yakuza 0 when the american trainer guy give you the tutorial on using money to buy skills and he's like "you can invest in yourself" and kiryu says "oh, you mean like pay money for good food, get a gym membership, that kind of thing?" and he just goes "no, i mean you literally invest money into your skills" and that's how much they explain it

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Bicyclops posted:

i still love in yakuza 0 when the american trainer guy give you the tutorial on using money to buy skills and he's like "you can invest in yourself" and kiryu says "oh, you mean like pay money for good food, get a gym membership, that kind of thing?" and he just goes "no, i mean you literally invest money into your skills" and that's how much they explain it

when you get to Amon in Kiwami he asks if you’ve ever met him before, then stares directly at the camera instead of Kiryu

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Dewgy posted:

when you get to Amon in Kiwami he asks if you’ve ever met him before, then stares directly at the camera instead of Kiryu

lol

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Dewgy posted:

4th wall breaks done well are rare, but they sure are nice when they happen.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Like a dragon chapter 12 spoilers

Was not expecting to return to Sotenbori in this game, and definitely was not expecting to fight Majima. Well back to the battle arena to grind out a bunch of levels so Majima doesn’t slaughter me so fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dewgy posted:

I had to play 7 with the English dub because my eyes were hosed and I couldn't read the subtitles, and when you do the sidequest where Ichi meets the English-speaking tourist, Ichi broadly announces that English is a very hard language and he doesn't understand it, then he just turns and looks at the camera for a beat