Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

DelphiAegis posted:

I'm actually excited to drop 60 bucks or whatever on the skyward sword re-release on switch because I never got to play it on the Wii. :unsmith:

:same:

i think SS came out my senior year of college, when i sold my wii. looking forward to playing the only modern Zelda i've missed! i loved all the other ones and imagine i'll love this one too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Just go get a Wii though too. They're cheap as heck and rule.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/6VIpYG6.mp4

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GOTY all years.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Please BOTW2 let me gently caress up a simple task so that an island falls out of the sky and obliterates me.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

BotW2 news has me playing BotW again, The Korok guy having a nightmare about vegetarians is extremely adorable.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Idk if people saw but on the official SS HD site it says:

quote:

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD takes the classic quest and optimises it for Nintendo Switch, improving the experience in a number of ways including:
- Enhanced performance
- Improved motion controls with the Joy-Con controllers
- All-new button controls, allowing you to choose your style of play
- Various quality-of-life enhancements, including refinements to player tutorials and general guidance throughout the adventure

I know people were hoping for QoL upgrades, so there will at least be some. I’m hoping that the bolded part means you can choose for Fi to talk less!

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Am I reading this wrong, or are they trying to imply they didn't hold your hand enough in the original version?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TheLoneStar posted:

Am I reading this wrong, or are they trying to imply they didn't hold your hand enough in the original version?

I see the opposite

But it's vague

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Yeah there’s no way it isn’t turn Fi down. It’s infamous.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah it has to be the opposite there's absolutely no way they aren't aware of the complaints.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

You might remember that the game they made after ss was breath of the wild which is famous for not addressing the overwrought tutorials complaint from ss at all

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I didn't know most of what I was supposed to do in BOTW and had to google a lot of poo poo.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Lol I just did this shrine, but in the normal non hillarious way.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I didn't know most of what I was supposed to do in BOTW and had to google a lot of poo poo.

Yeah I was gonna say, I didn't feel like BotW's "tutorial" (if you can call it that) was overwrought at all, in fact I thought it was just right

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Idk if people saw but on the official SS HD site it says:

I know people were hoping for QoL upgrades, so there will at least be some. I’m hoping that the bolded part means you can choose for Fi to talk less!

Perhaps you can make her talk more.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ok, please, i thought i made my post as close to obvious sarcasm as possible

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Yeah I was gonna say, I didn't feel like BotW's "tutorial" (if you can call it that) was overwrought at all, in fact I thought it was just right

Amppelix was employing the rhetorical technique known as "sarcasm"

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Amppelix posted:

sarcasm is illegal, turn yourself in immediately :mad:

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Amppelix posted:

This is the Zelda thread. Sarcasm doesn't work here.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I felt like an idiot because I had to google "how to cook" because I had no idea you had to go into the menu and pick ingredients that way.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

so yeah the point is that coming from the people who have made botw in the intervening time, there is absolutely no way they're making SS more handholdy

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A Link Between Worlds was the game after Skyward Sword, and that's another one with a greatly reduced amount of tutorializing. I have a vague recollection of an Eiji Aonuma interview about ALBW in which he admits overdoing the guidance, to the point of depriving the player the fun of figuring things out on their own.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Cooking is definitely something that could’ve been improved. Outside of some very specific combinations of dragon parts and ingredients to get a 30 minute effect, there’s no real reason to experiment with multiple ingredients to make the exotic dishes. Your always better off just cooking five of the same ingredient. I’m hoping this gets fixed for BOTW2.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Cartoon Man posted:

Cooking is definitely something that could’ve been improved. Outside of some very specific combinations of dragon parts and ingredients to get a 30 minute effect, there’s no real reason to experiment with multiple ingredients to make the exotic dishes. Your always better off just cooking five of the same ingredient. I’m hoping this gets fixed for BOTW2.

I'm hoping at the very least we get to cook meals in multiples. You could do that in Rosy Rupeeland dammit, how that idea got lost in the intervening years I have no clue.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Cooking experimentation was also hamstrung by no recipe book. Just let me track what I’ve already tried so I can keep trying stuff!!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

aha, you didn't experiment enough! the real poo poo in cooking is actually making elixirs. like if you cook five mighty bananas (or any other attack food) it will get you a 4:10 level 3 attack buff because every attack ingredient adds 50 seconds of duration. but if you instead use, for example, a bladed rhino beetle, two mighty porgies, and two bokoblin guts you'll get an 8-minute effect, and it's still still level 3!

you're right that all of the specific recipes are entirely useless though, and it does suck that there's never any point to making seafood paella or honeyed crepes. making them actually good and letting you collect them in a real recipe book would be so cool

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Hearty dishes healing you fully also really breaks that system.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Sheikah Slate can access repressed memories but can’t even keep a list of recipes smh

Edit: I used a lot of recipes that healed you over your max heart limit, those were great.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Instead of master mode i would prefer a survival mode in which Link needed to eat a couple times a day and would get sleepy, impacting his stamina or HP or attack power if you didn't engage with the cooking and sleeping systems.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Once you find that one fruit that cooking a single of gives you a full heal + 3 hearts cooking is essentially over. Then you find that one tower with like 5 of those trees right by and yeah that’s it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Once you find that one fruit that cooking a single of gives you a full heal + 3 hearts cooking is essentially over. Then you find that one tower with like 5 of those trees right by and yeah that’s it.

which tower? Please post a screenshot so I can stamp it on my map.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s one of the south ones in the jungle? There’s a mesa/plateau right next to it with 2 lizalfos on it. There’s like 6 trees on it. One of the dragons spawn nearby? It’s a pretty dense area. I don’t have my switch with me but let me find a map.

EDIT: here

That’s the Faron tower and the marker area is where the trees area.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jun 22, 2021

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

This one. You can get up to 15 or so hearty durians on the bluff right by it by chopping down the trees there.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think I ever bothered cooking anything other than hearty durians after I found out how OP they are

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
The real flex was chopping down (with bombs) all the trees you found in the Master Mode trials so that you could cook individual logs of wood to get an extra half heart when you needed it.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
This is gonna sound dumb but I hope there isn't any fast travel, most of the fun I have with BOTW is setting a desitination and getting there on foot. Then getting distracted by things on the way.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I'd be cool with tower-only fast travel, or maybe stable-only through a cart driver or something, as a compromise. I always say I dislike fast travel but end up relying on it a lot. I think Morrowind had a decent balance of this and something similar in BOTW2 would be cool.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

DelphiAegis posted:

The real flex was chopping down (with bombs) all the trees you found in the Master Mode trials so that you could cook individual logs of wood to get an extra half heart when you needed it.

I felt no shame breaking through geometry and skipping the first sword trials in my master mode replay because gently caress that trial in master mode. Specifically gently caress that lizalfos room.

track day bro! posted:

This is gonna sound dumb but I hope there isn't any fast travel, most of the fun I have with BOTW is setting a desitination and getting there on foot. Then getting distracted by things on the way.

Oh hey my master mode replay was specifically a no fast travel run. Using a horse and riding back and forth across the world and hitting trials as you encountered them was a very chill experience. I would just put an hour or two every other night and spent a few months slowly completing the game again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

track day bro! posted:

Why not just, don't use the optional fast travel?

Do you mean mandatory fast travel