Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Malt posted:

Dungeons and Dargons.

Maybe I’m just not looking hard enough, but I don’t see many guilds raiding really but faceless. I don’t have an issues with faceless other than feeling I would fall behind not being in every night,

I mean. That doesn’t matter at all in faceless. Half the folks are coming to raids nearly naked anyway. There is no attendance requirement and your DKP is your plat and krono. So if you don’t take many items you can just show up and get paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea that’s literally the best guild you can be in if you have poor raid attendance.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Rallos posted:

I mean. That doesn’t matter at all in faceless. Half the folks are coming to raids nearly naked anyway. There is no attendance requirement and your DKP is your plat and krono. So if you don’t take many items you can just show up and get paid.

I always raid naked ! Oh you mean the character :ohdear:

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
Like. It’s Father’s Day. I spent the day with my kid. Missed every single bat phone and the only thing I lost is some plat for my splits. No big deal.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Baconroll posted:

I always raid naked ! Oh you mean the character :ohdear:

Por que no los dos? :heysexy:

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Rallos posted:

What's your name in game? I want to ask a few things about Faceless.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Malt posted:

What's your name in game? I want to ask a few things about Faceless.

Szinga

Feel free to hit me up anytime.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Malt posted:

Dungeons and Dargons.

Maybe I’m just not looking hard enough, but I don’t see many guilds raiding really but faceless. I don’t have an issues with faceless other than feeling I would fall behind not being in every night,

I'm in Faceless and they're perfect for folks like me who can't attend most raids due to work schedule. Even only attending splits one night a week and getting a few batphones here and there I'm still going into kunark with 23 krono banked and I'm well geared for classic.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Republicans posted:

I'm in Faceless and they're perfect for folks like me who can't attend most raids due to work schedule. Even only attending splits one night a week and getting a few batphones here and there I'm still going into kunark with 23 krono banked and I'm well geared for classic.

drat, and here I was feeling like a big winner having my Vermiculated Bracers by level 35 and 4k plat in the bank.

I just hope I’ll be able to afford a Lumi Staff and a Jade Reaver someday. :ohdear:

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
I'm getting to the point a Guild makes sense. I'm just about level 10, and made most of my money farming bone chips and selling them. I sold 400 this weekend for 400 plat, so that was great. I just keep hunting undead and I was going to Befallen, but it just seems to crowded. I have no gear but cloth right now, so my mana pool sucks. I can't quite take a Lego camp alone.

Floob in game on Mischief

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

Yeah I’m 35 and still unguilded- also now starting to think about needing to join one sooner rather than later. Does Faceless take less than max level folks at this point? I’m sort of taking my time leveling due to having been gone from the game for so long (plus a new puppy interrupting gaming time)

In game name is Smiley if anyone wants to group up or anything.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
My biggest dilemma on Mischief is that I want to play everything now. I’m not even at the cap on my Druid and I’m already googling about twink gear for Bard, Shadow Knight, Monk and Necromancer. ooh and Shaman would be fun, oh and Rogue has a really easy epic, and… and… and…

Thank god for the sub fees restraining me or eventually I’d turn into one of those 72 boxing weirdos. Instead I’m thinking Druid/Monk. Or maybe Druid/Bard with an eye to Druid/Bard/SK. Or maybe… *goes on endlessly till I lose my mind*

Basically my problem is that EverQuest is too fun.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Planar sets are also dirt cheap, especially bard and warrior.

Delightful Tonka Truck
Nov 20, 2004

I'm excited for Kunark on Wednesday, I wish Mischief would have just started in a later expansion than Classic.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

BGrifter posted:

My biggest dilemma on Mischief is that I want to play everything now. I’m not even at the cap on my Druid and I’m already googling about twink gear for Bard, Shadow Knight, Monk and Necromancer. ooh and Shaman would be fun, oh and Rogue has a really easy epic, and… and… and…

Thank god for the sub fees restraining me or eventually I’d turn into one of those 72 boxing weirdos. Instead I’m thinking Druid/Monk. Or maybe Druid/Bard with an eye to Druid/Bard/SK. Or maybe… *goes on endlessly till I lose my mind*

Planning out my box team on Test was legit the most fun part of playing

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
I had forgotten how poorly optimized the server side of this game is for high numbers of players. Last night there were 315 people in the Commonlands, and I didn't realize the impact until I tried fighting something. My pet was half way across the zone and before I knew what had happened, I had 3 Rattlesnakes on me and I was slow walking toward help at the tunnel. Definitely use /pick in that zone and find the lesser populated instance. The traders spamming chat are crushing it.

After that death, I figured I would hit Befallen. As soon as I entered I got attacked by a Ghoul (Red to me) and he kept me rooted the entire fight just 2 feet from the zone out. I was completely powerless. I ended up dying three times last night before killing a single thing, and chose to just log out and go to bed, but I sure do love all of it! I love the excitement and the risk and I will be right back at it tonight.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

BGrifter posted:

Depending on how long you plan to play you may want to consider getting a class with slow- consider beast lord when luclin drops.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

BGrifter posted:

This is my biggest issue in any mmo. I want to play all the classes, but EQ just has a synergy of classes that makes me want to try different group compositions.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

milkman dad posted:

Depending on how long you plan to play you may want to consider getting a class with slow- consider beast lord when luclin drops.

Slow is such an important ability, but they spread it out enough across classes, that you can get into the ability and not be stuck to a certain class. I almost always play a Druid so I can run and port fast, but when I chose to start playing here, I had a clear choice. Necromancer. As a Necro you can have a pet, so you get the solo advantage, but being a master of undead, you can slow undead mobs. Having Feign gives you some survivability as well if poo poo goes south. You can't slow everything like a Shaman, Beastlord or Enchanter, but there are plenty of ways to stick with fighting undead. Veksar is going to be a lot of fun!

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

milkman dad posted:

I leveled a beast to 110 on FV a couple years ago and don't think I'd recommend it to anyone who wasn't planning on playing to 85, which is most people on TLPs.

The class provides a lot of very useful buffs, like ferocity (which you don't get a group version until 95, so have fun juggling that spell nonstop for hours. on a completely unrelated note, shaman get a group version of their attack spells in the 70s). You'll be keeping the spiritual regen up at raids, and MGBing paragon. Beast pets are mediocre for a long while until some expansion (maybe house of thule?) where they are suddenly tankier than warriors in group content. They're not exactly a selling point if you want to play a pet class, especially in Luclin imo.

Still, if you want to buff at raids and cast slows, just play a shaman. Their dots are stronger, their buffs are friendlier to use, their resistance debuffs are critical, and they heal pretty well.

Not to say I didn't like playing my beastlord, just that I don't think they figured out what they wanted the class to do until ~Underfoot.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
I finally picked up some gear at the EC tunnel last night. Not much, Stein of Moggok, Savants Cap, Flowing black Robe, and a couple rings. All in set me back 300pp which isn't bad. The economy seems to be holding.

Quick question on these new servers. What special mobs do folks tend to start grouping up on for loot first? I'm just level 10 now, but I should be able to start getting into groups for those encounters. As an example, are any of the mobs in Befallen even on that new loot table? I figure Crushbone named are probably on the list.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Floob posted:

I finally picked up some gear at the EC tunnel last night. Not much, Stein of Moggok, Savants Cap, Flowing black Robe, and a couple rings. All in set me back 300pp which isn't bad. The economy seems to be holding.

Quick question on these new servers. What special mobs do folks tend to start grouping up on for loot first? I'm just level 10 now, but I should be able to start getting into groups for those encounters. As an example, are any of the mobs in Befallen even on that new loot table? I figure Crushbone named are probably on the list.

Anything marked as a "rare" on brewall maps is on the loot randomization.

Like the trainer on trainer hill, and the named mummy in SRo are some level 10 examples

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Elephunk posted:

Anything marked as a "rare" on brewall maps is on the loot randomization.

Like the trainer on trainer hill, and the named mummy in SRo are some level 10 examples

Thank you, I've never used a custom map, but just downloaded and set this up to give a try. Trainer Hill must be a madhouse. I remember back when EQ was the dominant MMO just trying to get into that group, or a group on Orc hill just outside Crushbone.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Floob posted:

Thank you, I've never used a custom map, but just downloaded and set this up to give a try. Trainer Hill must be a madhouse. I remember back when EQ was the dominant MMO just trying to get into that group, or a group on Orc hill just outside Crushbone.

Goods Maps are better these days IMO. Also, any mob that cons rare should have randomized loot. It’ll con something - a rare creature - which is most - but not all named mobs. A good way to check is to pull up the hunter achievement fir that zone and all the mobs there should be rare. /ach and then look under classic -> hunter -> zone

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
So when I got home and launched the game for Kunark I ran around getting spellls, then set to work on camping the Sarnak Courier. A few hours later THE RING DROPPED!!!

So now I’m the proud owner of what might be Mischief’s first Goblin Gazughi Ring. :woop:

I kind of want to keep it for charm soloing, but Druidchat reminded me it might be worth a fortune six hours into the new expansion. If someone backs up the Brinks truck with an insane offer I might have to take it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Sell that poo poo for like $100

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Don't pay any money for hiero cloaks, we got 4 in a like 2 hours lol.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

RCarr posted:

Sell that poo poo for like $100

I put it in auction chat and got a bunch of smart asses offering 500pp. :sigh:

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
3.5 hours trying to group in Kunark and not managed to get into a fuctional group. Seems to be groups where literally everyone else is afk all time, or groups where the person your replacing won't leave.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Baconroll posted:

3.5 hours trying to group in Kunark and not managed to get into a fuctional group. Seems to be groups where literally everyone else is afk all time, or groups where the person your replacing won't leave.

As soon as I heard about these servers, I knew solo play was going to end up being my forced playstyle, and I'm fine with that. The nostalgia of starting over and seeing expansions unlocked drew me in. THe only piece of Kunark I touched last night was creating my old Iksar Monk. If I get some time to level him up, I will enjoy the Field of Bone, and Kurns Tower when I can finally get there.

I'm enjoying this. I would have liked to seen the old zones as well, like east and west commons being split up, things like that, but this is good.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
The good news is the Seb key is droppable, and I've heard but not confirmed the Howling Stones key is too. VP will be the significant one - if it droppable then every guild will get into VP.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Is the OP up to date, despite being like 8 years old? I kind of want to pop into a server and just re-explore the game at my own pace.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Baconroll posted:

The good news is the Seb key is droppable, and I've heard but not confirmed the Howling Stones key is too. VP will be the significant one - if it droppable then every guild will get into VP.

VP key is not tradable, tho apparently the quest pieces are. not looking forward to the clusterfuck the ancient jarsath could turn into

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Indecisive posted:

VP key is not tradable, tho apparently the quest pieces are. not looking forward to the clusterfuck the ancient jarsath could turn into

ShowEQ and bring a shadow knight and a bard!!!!!

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

TalonDemonKing posted:

Is the OP up to date, despite being like 8 years old? I kind of want to pop into a server and just re-explore the game at my own pace.

Some of the information in the OP is still extremely important. Other parts are outdated. Overall, it's not a bad place to start, but it really depends on what level and expansion you are currently working on.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
On previous TLPs did the price of Krono ever plateau or should I be cashing out my plat for Krono any time I get enough to do so?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

BGrifter posted:

On previous TLPs did the price of Krono ever plateau or should I be cashing out my plat for Krono any time I get enough to do so?

Always buy. It just goes up as time goes on.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Bahanahab posted:

Some of the information in the OP is still extremely important. Other parts are outdated. Overall, it's not a bad place to start, but it really depends on what level and expansion you are currently working on.

I'm not really working on anything -- A conversation that got me to poke around in this thread a few weeks ago had got me reminiscing about this game. I don't know how long its been since I've last played -- I think Planes of Power was the newest expansion? Either way, I'd like to pop in and just sort of re-explore the game at my own pace, if its possible, hence me curious about what I should be doing in terms of getting everything set up.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

onesixtwo posted:

Always buy. It just goes up as time goes on.

Yeah but also remember the games has twenty nine expansions and if you aren't going to play all of them there is definitely reason to Krono up some plat before you know you're done.

Related news: Classic wow TLP is coming thanks to our goddess Holly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

TalonDemonKing posted:

I'm not really working on anything -- A conversation that got me to poke around in this thread a few weeks ago had got me reminiscing about this game. I don't know how long its been since I've last played -- I think Planes of Power was the newest expansion? Either way, I'd like to pop in and just sort of re-explore the game at my own pace, if its possible, hence me curious about what I should be doing in terms of getting everything set up.

Really if what you're looking for is to re-visit the game you played in the past, your best bet is to hop onto the latest TLP server, which is time-locked progression meaning they start with 0 expansions and slowly unlock them over a scheduled period of time. The latest are Mischief and Thornblade which are now on the original Kunark expansion just after classic so it's a decent time to start, plenty of active players at all levels to group with, the twist being that rare mob drops are mostly randomized (and more items drop per kill) as well as most loot being tradable. This does need a paid subscription time tho which you can activate on the website.

If you don't really feel like doing the time investment to play a new character and all and just want to run around the game world your old characters are probably still there if you can find your old account info, and your characters might have merged onto a different server than you remember, but you can pop in and run around but there tend to be very few players on the old servers in my experience, and there's a ton of new poo poo going on to distract you.