Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Worth noting that its probably unlikely that you're going to see a flood of used cards from this since a lot of the big Chinese mining ops sold their equipment straight to American mining ops, though there will probably be some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

njsykora posted:

Worth noting that its probably unlikely that you're going to see a flood of used cards from this since a lot of the big Chinese mining ops sold their equipment straight to American mining ops, though there will probably be some.

Aren't the majority of those rigs ASICs, anyway? Either that or specialty "miner" cards that don't have video outputs of any kind.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Bitcoin is mined via ASICs

Ethereum is mined via GPU

I don't think Nvidia's output-less mining-only cards have hit the market in large numbers yet

It's probably true that anyone who caught holding the bag on Chinese mining is going to first see if they can offload to other miners, since getting rid of the cards in bulk is easier/more convenient than handling orders for individual cards to individual gamers

Still, I'd keep an eye on Aliexpress, to monitor prices at least

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Don’t look now but a certain thin-air asset lost something like 15% of it’s made up value in the past 24 hours. Just need a week more like it to be back where things were a year ago.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Don't know how true or false this is, but this looks like a pretty nasty PR scandal for Nvidia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgwAS3VsXhQ

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Spacedad posted:

Don't know how true or false this is, but this looks like a pretty nasty PR scandal for Nvidia.

I can't find any on ebay or craigslist, I'm inclined to believe it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Spacedad posted:

EVGA also did essentially a paper launch on their $599 3070 Ti XC3 and put it all into the $800 3070 TI FTW. The notification was disabled after not even 30 seconds and has stayed down; but the $800 ftw3 stayed up perpetually.

They do appear to be producing the $699 XC3 Ultra version somewhat though. but yeah all the "MSRP" cards are essentially all paper

Xaris fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 22, 2021

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Xaris posted:

EVGA also did essentially a paper launch on their $599 3070 Ti XC3 and put it all into the $800 3070 TI FTW. The notification was disabled after not even 30 seconds and has stayed down; but the $800 ftw3 stayed up perpetually.

They do appear to be producing the $699 XC3 Ultra version somewhat though. but yeah all the "MSRP" cards are essentially all paper

Isn't this what they did for the 3080 and 3090s? The notify queue for the FTWs is moving at....a pace, but the cheaper XC3 queue hasn't moved at all since launch. Once they realized they could just sell out of the more expensive versions instantly there was no point in manufacturing any of the cheaper lines.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

EVGA 3080 FTW3 (non-Ti) isn’t even listed on Best Buy anymore.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SpicyPete posted:

Isn't this what they did for the 3080 and 3090s? The notify queue for the FTWs is moving at....a pace, but the cheaper XC3 queue hasn't moved at all since launch. Once they realized they could just sell out of the more expensive versions instantly there was no point in manufacturing any of the cheaper lines.
Probably. I did sign up for a 3070 XC3 Ultra (the intermediate model) on 11/3 4PM (very late) and actually got the card for a friend back in like Jan or so so they were producing the intermediate-priced one but yeah the base XC3 Black was dead-on-arrival

and hey makes sense; likewise 3080 non-ti is essentially dead as well. and it's much better profit. just be honest about it

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Looks like AMD is following NV in deprecating some older hardware, the new driver they put out to coincide with FSRs launch only goes back to Vega/Polaris

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
do you need the same drivers to try out FSR on an nvidia card?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I'm pretty sure FSR is entirely baked into the game, it doesn't require any special driver support

AMD just put out an "FSR driver" for marketing reasons I think, like how every new game release has a Game Ready Driver that may or may not actually do anything

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
ah, for some reason i thought i'd get to try it out on older games

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Nah it requires game integration, and so far they've only announced one game (Godfall lol)

There's a supposed leaked list of FSR games doing the rounds though

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-fidelityfx-super-resolution-coming-to-7-games-at-launch

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Spacedad posted:

When all of the stock was going to get scalped anyway, I don't think anyone really cares. Whether Nvidia sells many/any founders or ships em all to the AIBs, then end result is the same so :shrug:. Especially when the AIBs are willing to do anything Nvidia wants for allocation. There has been quite a few models in the past that they never made many (or any) FE cards with, anyway.

If I was Nvidia, I wouldn't make any FEs right now at all because its completely irrelevant, and use it all for leverage over the AIB partners (who are really Nvidia's customers).

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It honestly wouldn't surprise me if nVidia doesn't just respond to this with :shrug:

It would very much surprise me if they're still in the consumer GPU game in 5-10 years. They're clearly trying to pivot to APUs and CPUs. Who knows, they might even split into two companies rather than sell off the GPU division since the IP is probably too valuable.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just wanted to say that this thread has been really great lately. Thanks everyone who has been putting the effort in. You all are wonderful.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
maybe it's just me but every screenshot of that dude makes it seem like he's still crying from that time intel told him to knock it off and he recorded that hostage video

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

https://videocardz.com/newz/graphics-cards-pricing-beginning-to-decline-availability-improving-as-well

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Spacedad posted:

if I'm understanding this correctly:

* NVidia doesn't really control how AIBs price their cards. They can set an MSRP as a suggestion, and they have a few "soft-power" tools to nudge sentiment one way or the other, but for the most part, the AIBs get to dictate the price

* indeed, the 3080 Ti pricing reflects more that NVidia would much rather be able to take a cut of the price inflation situation that so far, only AIBs, retailers, and scalpers have been able to tap into

* the one thing whose price they CAN control, though, are the Founder's Edition cards. NVidia pays for them to be manufactured, and they sell them for whatever price NVidia wants. If it's priced to not make any money, too bad, but having a "loss leader" to drive marketing is a perfectly normal practice.

* what Linus is saying is, that they can't find much evidence that 3070 Ti FE cards were sold in any kind of meaningful amount. This is not to say that 3070 Ti's as a whole are a "paper launch", because you can (mostly) but 3070 Ti's, but only the AIB models

* they suspect that what NVidia did was to announce the 3070 Ti FE with an MSRP that's "reasonable" so that they can earn back some goodwill from the 3080 Ti being perceived as way overpriced ...

* ... but at the same time, they produced so few of the FE cards that the MSRP is effectively meaningless. Or rather, moreso than it already was.

* there's always been this tension between NVidia and the AIBs: NVidia would like to sell some number of FEs just to drive adoption and buzz for their new product, while AIBs would rather there be as few of those sold as possible because it's not their money, and the AIB models are always more expensive than the FE cards, so it makes their product less attractive in comparison. What NVidia is doing here is turning that dynamic to its extremes - they (allegedly) are selling a token amount of FE cards, and nobody noticed because card availability is so bad anyway. They get to advertise a relatively low MSRP, and the AIBs are kept happy with not needing to compete with FEs (and the price of the 3070 Ti goes up to the levels they set) - it's a "win-win".

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

repiv posted:

Looks like AMD is following NV in deprecating some older hardware, the new driver they put out to coincide with FSRs launch only goes back to Vega/Polaris

Yesterday's driver release is available even for the 390 by the looks of it, but yeah, it will be the last driver for many older GPUs.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Bofast posted:

Yesterday's driver release is available even for the 390 by the looks of it, but yeah, it will be the last driver for many older GPUs.

Looks like they put out a final Legacy branch driver for older cards like the 390, the new "FSR driver" doesn't support them

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-21-6-1

quote:

Radeon Software Adrenalin 21.6.1 is compatible with the following AMD Radeon products.

Radeon™ RX 6900/6800/6700 Series Graphics
Radeon™ RX 5700/5600/5500/5300 Series Graphics
Radeon™ VII
Radeon™ RX Vega Series Graphics
AMD Radeon™ Pro Duo
Radeon™ RX 500 / Radeon 500X Series Graphics
Radeon™ RX 400 Series Graphics

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-r9-series/amd-radeon-r9-300-series/amd-radeon-r9-390x

quote:

Windows Legacy Drivers
The latest available drivers appear below. This product has been moved to a legacy support model and no additional driver releases are planned.

repiv fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jun 22, 2021

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Ah, right you are

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

FSR is out: https://gpuopen.com/fidelityfx-superresolution/

Pretty much as expected, all it does is upscale while trying to preserve edge sharpness. It can't bring out any detail not present in the low resolution input unlike TAAU/DLSS/etc.

CAS already had an edge-preserving upscale mode so it seems like FSR is just CAS 2.0 with a different name

repiv fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 22, 2021

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

repiv posted:

Looks like they put out a final Legacy branch driver for older cards like the 390, the new "FSR driver" doesn't support them

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-21-6-1

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-r9-series/amd-radeon-r9-300-series/amd-radeon-r9-390x

Support for pro duo but no other 3rd gen GCN. I guess dropping support for the $1500 card after 5 years was where they hesitated

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

There were two Pro Duos, a GCN3 one and a GCN4 one. Presumably only the latter is supported now?

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-pro-duo.c2828
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-pro-duo-polaris.c2953

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I came up in the shuffle to buy a 3070ti on sat, and ordered it, expecting to sell my 2070 for 600-700 but the ebay prices on the 2070 and the 3070ti are both down a lot just in the last week and it's got me thinking about returning it and riding this out for a while

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Well, Anno 1800 is the only game I own that supports FSR and I only have a 1440p monitor, but I tried it out anyway (5700 XT/r5 5600X/32GB of DDR4 3200).

At max settings with native 1440p, Anno 1800 runs at 36 fps when fully zoomed out over a town. At 120% FSR (they give scaling percentages instead named presets in Anno, I guess), the game runs at 48 fps fully zoomed out. At 150%..... it also runs at 48 fps. Zoomed in was a similar story. Native was about 42 fps, while 120 and 150 were in the mid 50s (I believe 150 was better here actually, but my screenshots didn't capture my framerate overlay unfortunately so I can't say for sure). I'm not entirely sure why 150 didn't really perform much better than 120. Maybe some engine weirdness? It definitely looked blurrier.

Zoomed in:
Native

120% FSR

150% FSR

Zooming in on the fine details:

Native

120% FSR

150% FSR

Sorry that they aren't perfectly aligned, i'm bad at this. Anyway, I consider 120% usable despite being blurrier. I had a hard time noticing it without scrutinizing. Though in these kinds of games, scrutinizing is one of the chief forms of enjoyment. Looking over your village, taking in all the details, that kind of thing. 120% was somewhat noticeable but the exact difference wasn't apparent until I blew up the image. 150% was what I consider unplayable though. It was far too blurry for my tastes.

I didn't test the other modes (130, 140, and "sharpen only") because the game has to restart each time you change it, and it's on a slow HDD. I took more screenshots at different zoom levels but I'm going to bed.

edit: fixed the first screenshot. Also note that, though I tried to give it enough time to load everything in, there may be some LOD weirdness corrupting the results. There's also some degree of randomness every time you reload (in the trees, at least, but maybe other things too). I can't tell if the brick roads look different in FSR because of the upscaling or because of the game using a different road model variant upon reloading.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 22, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

GN's initial video on it is pretty good, basically saying it's not quite as good as DLSS, but it's certainly good enough. I also like that they're testing it on low end cards and integrated graphics which is probably the group of people who are going to be using this more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCzjQ4qP124&t=965s

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Followup to my post: Ubisoft pushed another update as I was writing it and renamed the FSR presets to the ones in the GamersNexus video, and also removed the "sharpen only" option, whatever that was. I'm now wondering if what I used was even the true FSR. It did say "Fidelity FX", but I can't remember if it was the Super Resolution variety specifically. Maybe that was one of AMD's earlier implementations? If so, then I guess disregard that whole post lmao

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

njsykora posted:

GN's initial video on it is pretty good, basically saying it's not quite as good as DLSS, but it's certainly good enough. I also like that they're testing it on low end cards and integrated graphics which is probably the group of people who are going to be using this more.

Good enough at 4K perhaps, but that's something of a special case. It's such overkill that you can afford to throw away some detail.

It's kind of telling that DigitalFoundry didn't get preview access

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Trip report on my 3080: I've only really played Control and Doom Eternal so far, but it is very neat being able to play both those games with the detail fully cranked up at 1440p.

I have found so far for Control that I don't like to have DLSS on - the game runs extremely smooth for me with DLSS and full raytracing detail on. I'm sure that this isn't the case for other games, as Control is an 'older' title and seems fairly optimized for what it is.

For Doom Eternal - I am pretty sure I don't have DLSS on there either, but the game runs ridiculously smooth for the most part.

As I'm working on a lot of project and classwork, I haven't had much time to game with it yet, but will later next month.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Spacedad posted:

Trip report on my 3080: I've only really played Control and Doom Eternal so far, but it is very neat being able to play both those games with the detail fully cranked up at 1440p.

I have found so far for Control that I don't like to have DLSS on - the game runs extremely smooth for me with DLSS and full raytracing detail on. I'm sure that this isn't the case for other games, as Control is an 'older' title and seems fairly optimized for what it is.

For Doom Eternal - I am pretty sure I don't have DLSS on there either, but the game runs ridiculously smooth for the most part.

I haven't had much time to game with it yet, but will later next month.

Doom Eternal is optimized to hell and can hit high FPS on pretty much anything, especially at 1440p. I think you'd only start to struggle and need DLSS at 4K or when they add ray tracing later this year

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Rusty posted:

The 1080ti also had 10GB. Probably 99% of PC gamers have 8GB or less so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Nah 11

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

change my name posted:

Doom Eternal is optimized to hell and can hit high FPS on pretty much anything, especially at 1440p. I think you'd only start to struggle and need DLSS at 4K or when they add ray tracing later this year

Doom Eternal raytracing and DLSS is dropping on the 29th

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Well this is a nice surprise. More frames is always nice, I'm going to need better eyeballs to see the difference at the higher quality settings.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Newegg has a gundam pre build up for pre order

https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali540/p/N82E16883360160

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

repiv posted:

Doom Eternal raytracing and DLSS is dropping on the 29th

Oh good I can redownload it, turn all the settings on, look around for a bit, and then quit

(Game gave me pretty bad motion sickness for some reason)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

Newegg has a gundam pre build up for pre order

https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali540/p/N82E16883360160

I don't care what anyone says, this is loving cool.