Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

TheBacon posted:

If you care about cars enough to post ITT you will regret not getting something that at least makes you a little heart racing, makes you want to look back at it when you park.

I don't know about that, I think it depends on where you're at in your life and what you need in a vehicle overall, if part of that is a little excitement then a GTI is a good car for that if you can afford one.

I drove a few (including the Jetta version) when I was looking for a new car and I liked it, but I didn't like it nearly enough to pay what it cost. I don't drive much and when i do it's in urban sprawl running errands and taking my son to school, straight flat roads in a grid system with hardly any turns to speak of (Florida) so honestly I wouldn't have been able to put a GTI through it's paces much anyway.

My car doesn't make my heart race lol, but it handles decent with summer tires and has enough torque when I step on it to get me past idiots driving around this over populated city. It doesn't make me smile from ear to ear when I drive it or anything, but I don't dislike driving it either and I'm content with it until I can get a EV, and the E-Golf is high on the list. They were dropping in price big time before the used market went nuts so I'm gonna have to wait awhile until prices get back to normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Is the mk7 shifter much different than the mk6? I had a 6 speed Mk6 GTI and the shifter seemed fine, especially after I switched it out to the OEM Audi short shifter.

I really miss that car. Mk6 GTI with an APR stage I tune was fantastic as a DD, although apparently the mk7s have tune/clutch issues. Out of curiosity, how much is a clutch fix to never think about it again?

I can't weigh in on MK6 vs MK7, but I'm a dinosaur too and enjoy the manual transmission on my MK7. It feels a lot like the other VW manual transmissions I've used, so nowhere near as notched of shifts as a Miata, but I feel it's pretty smooth for DD tasks and takes to more aggressive shifting pretty well too. I'm a backroad bomber, not a track rat for what it's worth.

As for a tune-ready clutch, I'd say $1000 for the labor and however much for the clutch kit. FCPEuro has a Stage 1 Sachs that claims it's good for 400 lb-ft of torque for about $700: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-vw-performance-clutch-kit-sachs-performance-kit-883082001422kt2. I'll bet there are more than a few MK7s out there with a tune and the stock clutch though. Everyone seems to think eventually it'll burn up, but how long before that happens is somewhat variable is my guess.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
As the previous owner of a gen 2 Mazda3 hatch (RIP) and the current owner of a Mazda3 turbo PP, don't buy these cars and expect street performance. They're certainly fun to drive, and real easy to maintain, but they lack the responsiveness of a GTI/WRX. The gen 4 is honestly a bit too polished and drives very similarly to my mom's RX350. I love the Mazda3 turbo but I'm already looking forward to when I can give this car to a family member in 10 years or so and pick up something with a bit more excitement.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
My two cents, SA guided me to a mk7.5 GTI to replace my 02 auto Maxima when I was going crazy in COVID lockdown and wanted to at least have daily driving be fun - going back to stick was a big part of why I wanted a different car anyway so going DSG would've defeated the purpose. I'm sure the auto is great too, just go with whatever suits your goals ya know. I'm about 5k miles into mine and have definitely spent some time googling variations of basically "why does this GTI transmission feel bad to use" and I'd like to try some of the mods for it some day, but I've been getting the hang of it a lot more lately and am still totally loving the car. Was real confused how VW, being "the people's car", and having made transmissions for an eternity wouldn't have an amazing stick, but my layman guess from googling is it's designed to be easy and lenient for smooth daily driving even if it's your first stick, which can make it not quite behave or feel how someone wanting it to be more like an NA Miata or something would go for.

Residency Evil posted:

Is the mk7 shifter much different than the mk6? I had a 6 speed Mk6 GTI and the shifter seemed fine, especially after I switched it out to the OEM Audi short shifter.

I really miss that car. Mk6 GTI with an APR stage I tune was fantastic as a DD, although apparently the mk7s have tune/clutch issues. Out of curiosity, how much is a clutch fix to never think about it again?
The bad clutch thing I've heard about was from watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8rUp4ccCaU. I don't really know crap but after that and googling 'GTI crank walk' it sounds like there's a..I forgot..bearing? in the engine that isn't strong enough to hold up to some stage 2 level clutches and when that part goes the engine gets hosed. Answer to confidently avoid it seemed to be to avoid using too strong of an aftermarket clutch, or pay an amount of money to have a stronger forged part put in the engine that maybe just getting an R instead would make more sense.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
My opinion on the GTI manual is that the rev hang was annoying, and it was a bit hard to get the feel for when the clutch disengages compared to my other cars. Other than that, it seemed fine. I ended up having to get a DSG though due to a stalling issue with the car.

I got the DSG without ever trying it and never owning an automatic just based on the reputation. My initial impression was I did not enjoy it and it just didn't feel engaging, but getting to know how to use it changed all that and I am glad to have it now. It has three modes, D which is really sluggish and tuned for gas mileage, it always maintains the lowest possible RPM and is sometimes really stubborn about giving you a downshift even at like 1100 RPM. The S mode is a lot more sporty, but the way they do it is raise the RPMs by like 500 so your idle is around 1100 and also as a result, the downshift can be really jerky. Luckily all this behavior can be overridden by flicking the paddle for a downshift or switching to manual mode. In this mode if you have the next gear queued up, downshifts and up shifts are instant and fun as hell. The other thing I don't get is the kickdown, it has this large delay which makes it worthless in my opinion, you can trigger your own kickdown much faster using the paddles.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I thought the manual in my MKVI GTI felt great, even with 160K miles on it. :shrug:

It shifted smoothly, never put up a fight getting into any gear, and overall was pretty drama free. I’m not sure if that generation had delay valves but I didn’t notice anything like that. It wasn’t notchy like the RWD transmissions I had in my NA Miata or the BRZ I currently have, but that’s not really a bad thing. The transmission in the BRZ is complete garbage in comparison.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've owned a lot of Miatas so I think that kind of ruined me for almost every other manual transmission made. The GTI manual felt very disconnected to me, both the clutch and shifter. Then again just about every other manual I drove felt kinda meh as well (Ford, Toyota, Hyundai, Mazda) with the exception to the Hondas (Civic and Accord) which felt really good.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I came from a Honda manual to the mk7 manual. Bought it specifically because I wanted a manual (and I wanted the plaid) and got the performance package to get the LSD.

Get the manual dude. Yes the DSG is probably faster and better in every way, and yes, the vw manual unit is not as good as the Miata, but who cares? Drive it, and if you like it, buy it. That's what I did. It's still the best hot hatch you can buy.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
I went from a Subaru sti to an M2 and the BMW manual gearbox is worse in every single way, but the rest of the car makes up for it X1 billion

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The rev hang is very curable and the cure has numerous side benefits

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The rev hang is very curable and the cure has numerous side benefits

What is this cure?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Pine Cone Jones posted:

What is this cure?

isn’t it like buried deeeeep in a settings menu? Or was that for the M240i?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
A tune

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, if it's new though you are throwing your warranty out the window. Also a tune makes it a it more likely you will need a new clutch. The rev hang is specifically there for emissions to burn off some of the remaining fuel.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Pretty sure on an IG post or in a podcast humblemechanic kind of poo poo on the crank walk thing as being extremely overblown by the community. But I can remember where I heard/saw it exactly.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

I just realised that I've made it to 9 years and just over 100k km on my 2013 Polo GTI, with the twincharger 1.4L engine and 7-speed DSG. At the time it was the most 'fun' end of the sensible/fun scale I was willing to buy and I was fully aware of all the engine and gearbox issues they were known to have, but so far it's been relatively ok. That said, it has gone through a water pump, an alternator and one coil pack...

These days it almost feels too sensible though, it's fun but I'm wishing I had something a bit crazier.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Rusty posted:

Yeah, if it's new though you are throwing your warranty out the window. Also a tune makes it a it more likely you will need a new clutch. The rev hang is specifically there for emissions to burn off some of the remaining fuel.

APR+ has a warranty

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I’ve finally sat down and run the financials with a pro and come up with a range of what I’m willing to spend.

I’m going to be test driving some GTIs this week. I’m seeing a few 2017-2018 SEs, which at minimum have the nicer lights, if not the desired upgrades (or it’s standard in the 2018) and a couple of 2019s, including a Rabbit Edition (:allears:) at the highest end of my price range ($25k), but it is nifty. Also some less expensive 2019 SEs and IIRC maybe one S in the $20-24k range.

I’m going to be putting a lot of miles (~15-20k) on this car for work and after talking with a financial professional, I should be able to write off a healthy portion of the costs over the next several years. I want the best experience possible in terms of amenities but of course I don’t wanna overpay. Is the 2019 infotainment/etc worth it over the 2017? 2018? Am I gonna miss the plaid if I go with leather? How does the leather hold up?

There are way more SEs available in my area/budget with the desired features than anything else, so dollars to donuts I end up with leather interior and a sunroof. Is that bad? People seem to hate both those things....and I really want the plaid.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

How important is infotainment to you? I ask because on any modern car I just throw on CarPlay and go from there. The difference in infotainment systems is therefore relatively meaningless to me. I guess bigger screens became available later but I have the little one on the alltrack and it doesn't bother me.

I think you should get the plaid if you want the plaid. It's a fairly common car, you can find one that has the specification you like. You will spend a lot of time in it so you should enjoy it as much as possible.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

APR+ has a warranty
Yeah, you are right, that would be a good option I did not think of.

As far as leather and plaid goes, in the 2019 + trims, the SE is always leather and S is plaid, I had both and personally I think the leather looks nicer, it really changes the look. The SE gets you the full LED adaptive headlights, push to start and proximity locks, larger infotainment (with Fender only), sunroof, and I posted earlier that there is also an experience package trim in SE that gets you DCC, Fender audio, and a larger sway bar.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 21, 2021

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

a mysterious cloak posted:

So I'm stuck in a Chrysler 300 through probably next week until the GTI is fixed, and :omg: the Chrysler is godawful

Every GTI/R insurance policy should cover a GTI/R as a loaner, because... yeah, I know the feeling. It could be worse though, you could have a Kona.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

PT6A posted:

Every GTI/R insurance policy should cover a GTI/R as a loaner, because... yeah, I know the feeling. It could be worse though, you could have a Kona.

I have to ask about your avatar

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I have to ask about your avatar

no please don't

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

So- unless somebody buys one of these large German boys out from under me in the next 48 hrs, I’m between a 2017 SE (Perf Pack/Lighting Pack, Sunroof, Leather, fancy Fender radio, NO DRIVER SAFETY FEATURES) for $23k

and a 2019 Rabbit Edition for $25k with the plaid seats that I think look cool (this isn’t a dealbreaker, worst case scenario I toss a plaid blanket in the passenger seat of the SE), paint color and wheels that I like better (white vs black paint, black Rabbit wheels vs regular, again not really a dealbreaker). The big sticking point for me is that the Rabbit has the newer driver safety package which includes automatic braking/front collision warning, lane warning, and adaptive cruise control. Also it has the basic, but newer head unit + less good radio.

I’ve come really dig the adaptive/radar cruise on my rental Corolla and it’s definitely a feature I’d like. Most critically, I feel I’ve become kind of paranoid about the automatic braking and sensor beeping poo poo. If I’d had it in the CRV I wouldn’t have crashed it, full stop.

Am I being a weird bitch? Like, not only is the Rabbit pricier to buy, it’s $20 a month more expensive to insure. In “total monthly payment” (loan+insurance) terms it’s like a $70 difference, which isn’t exactly chump change. It should be obvious that the 2017 is the better choice.

But I’m scared that 1) the sunroof is gonna be a pain point 2) I’m gonna crash it without the fancy electronic nannies.

It’s totally irrational, and based entirely on my recent experience crashing, but I guess I’m just curious as to what you’d do in my situation.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

At least for me, a good stereo has always been the most important part of a car after it running and not being a rusty shitbox. I'd say go for the SE over the rabbit, but that's me.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I think 2019's come with a 6-year/72,000-mile transferable warranty, which might add more to the "peace of mind column" for the Rabbit. I'd probably lean toward that anyway, but I think at this point you ought to check them out and get a feel for them yourself. Gonna go ahead and recommend getting an inspection if it's at all possible too.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Is the lighting package LED adaptive headlights? I think I would get the Rabbit just for the wheels to be honest, they are pretty sought after. If it was the 2019 SE it would be a harder choice, but I don't think the fender audio is all that much better.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It sounds like you like the Rabbit better overall. Car audio is relatively straightforward to upgrade, and frankly a vehicle isn't exactly an optimal listening environment anyway so as long as the speakers aren't blown out or there's something otherwise broken, "premium" audio options simply aren't worth it. If the warranty transfers and a PPI comes up clean it seems like an easy choice.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I am now reading that people with the adaptive braking have had their car stop itself suddenly when driving over poo poo like metal construction plates in the road, and that in at least one case somebody got “very nearly rear ended”.

Considering that ~85% of the cars on the road still don’t have any kind of brake assist maybe I’m better going without and just counting on myself to not rear-end somebody

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Most fairly recent cars have at least low speed auto braking and have had for the past five or so years.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Isn't it still a general rule that it's better to upgrade the sound system in your car than pay for a premium one from the factory?

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Fart Car '97 posted:

Isn't it still a general rule that it's better to upgrade the sound system in your car than pay for a premium one from the factory?

I have the fender system in my 16 gti and frankly it's the best system I've had in a car period, but the gti has also been the fanciest car I've had, so that that with a grain of salt

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
Late to the Mk7 talk, but I agree with most of the folks on this thread saying DSG > Stick. Mine is manual today and, if I were to replace it with a Mk8 or something, the DSG is pretty solid. I'm at 300 ~whp and ~330 wtq and I know my stock clutch hates me for it. I don't beat on it too badly, though, so I rarely have slippage.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
I bought my 2017 GTI SE 15 days shy of the 30th anniversary of getting my driver's license. I learned on my dad's '84 Ranger with a 4-speed and drove nothing but manuals for that entire time. Test drove both 6MT and DSG before settling on the DSG.

I didn't like the high bite point of the clutch in the VW and after having two Honda Civics Si before it, I got spoiled with their excellent shifters. Absolutely no regrets going with the DSG.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

WescottF1 posted:

I bought my 2017 GTI SE 15 days shy of the 30th anniversary of getting my driver's license. I learned on my dad's '84 Ranger with a 4-speed and drove nothing but manuals for that entire time. Test drove both 6MT and DSG before settling on the DSG.

I didn't like the high bite point of the clutch in the VW and after having two Honda Civics Si before it, I got spoiled with their excellent shifters. Absolutely no regrets going with the DSG.

Speaking of shifters: Who has good manual transmissions? I presume it can be a bit personal but I'm really curious: Honda in the Si, Mazda on the Miata or in general? Ford on the Mustang? Subaru on the WRX?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Fiesta shifter is very nice. Miles better than the mustang or the boxster I’ve driven recently, though both of those were 05-07, so take it with a grain of salt.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Volguus posted:

Speaking of shifters: Who has good manual transmissions? I presume it can be a bit personal but I'm really curious: Honda in the Si, Mazda on the Miata or in general? Ford on the Mustang? Subaru on the WRX?

The MX5 has a much better shifter than, say, the Mazda3. People were talking about it ITT like a week ago when I first brought up my car situation.

Also- I think I’m probably gonna end up in a black 2017 SE tbqh, because another has appeared with way fewer miles for way less money than the other two I’m looking at.

Worst case scenario I found a supplier of OEM Clark Plaid fabric. I can ask my mom to make me some decorative lumbar pillows, so that I can be like a more demure version of one of those VW guys

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Fiesta shifter is very nice. Miles better than the mustang or the boxster I’ve driven recently, though both of those were 05-07, so take it with a grain of salt.

Also better than my old shitbox integra, my civic, and à friends brz. Just the right amount of notch so that it doesn't feel like the shifter from an arcade cockpit racer while still being pretty smooth.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Ok Comboomer posted:

The MX5 has a much better shifter than, say, the Mazda3. People were talking about it ITT like a week ago when I first brought up my car situation.

Also- I think I’m probably gonna end up in a black 2017 SE tbqh, because another has appeared with way fewer miles for way less money than the other two I’m looking at.

Worst case scenario I found a supplier of OEM Clark Plaid fabric. I can ask my mom to make me some decorative lumbar pillows, so that I can be like a more demure version of one of those VW guys

hello yes i would like to pay your mother for a pair of VW plaid pillows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Deviant posted:

hello yes i would like to pay your mother for a pair of VW plaid pillows